Nintendo eShop Deals and Discussions

psunami

CAGiversary!
Feedback
48 (100%)
Thanks to Frisky for all of the hard work that he put in for the previous deals threads (and continues to on this thread!)

Feel free to post here about the newest Nintendo eShop deals, My Nintendo rewards and discussions about the previously mentioned items.

Nintendo Sales and Deals page

Last edited:
PSA: in case you grab Professor Layton Vs Phoenix Wright for the 3DS,

Play it now.

FINISH it now.

I’ve just been reminded that the entire set of epilogues (a good 1-2 hours of stuff) and various other extras are inaccessible behind an unlock key you have to download, and most of those remain locked until you beat the game and redownload the key.
Well crap… I guess a thank you goes your way. Just saved me from buying it and it was the only thing left from the store that I wanted. Maybe if it goes on sale, but I’d be pretty pissed finishing it and not being to access the epilogue. Never heard of a game doing that before.

PSA: in case you grab Professor Layton Vs Phoenix Wright for the 3DS,

Play it now.

FINISH it now.

I’ve just been reminded that the entire set of epilogues (a good 1-2 hours of stuff) and various other extras are inaccessible behind an unlock key you have to download, and most of those remain locked until you beat the game and redownload the key.
That might have just saved me a purchase. Was really looking forward to it, but would have grabbed it a lot earlier if I had known.

That might have just saved me a purchase. Was really looking forward to it, but would have grabbed it a lot earlier if I had known.
One thing I will add is that while this is a really stupid way to do dlc, you wouldn't miss much if you watched the epilogue episodes on YouTube. I just finished the game last week and each dlc episode has 1 professor Layton style puzzle but it's primarily dialogue. My playtime for the main game was around 27 hours so even without the dlc, I think it's worth it if you're a fan of either series.

Assuming I ever get around to my 3DS backlog, I realized I cannot jump through those hoops to buy the DLC I actually want to purchase. With the store closing, eh, I'll just go the other way. I've bought dozens of 3DS games already over the lifetime of the system.

Making DLC purchasing locked behind gameplay is a unique kind of ass pain.

I made a point to buy the Fantasy Life and FE Fates DLC, but otherwise, that's a lot of effort for little gain.

Really kind of sad you couldn't buy it directly.

Also sad there appears to be little to no final sales unless they ramp up quick.

Reminder to check the 3DS theme shop for free themes. You have to check the listing of all themes and not just the free section since it doesn't have all of them.

One thing I will add is that while this is a really stupid way to do dlc, you wouldn't miss much if you watched the epilogue episodes on YouTube. I just finished the game last week and each dlc episode has 1 professor Layton style puzzle but it's primarily dialogue. My playtime for the main game was around 27 hours so even without the dlc, I think it's worth it if you're a fan of either series.
Yeah, I looked into this over the weekend and seems like while it was a cool bonus (especially back in the day as it was a weekly release thing to get a puzzle or some art) I think I'm not going to bother trying to rush through it and if I ever get around to playing my copy I'll just watch the youtube videos for the bonus content.

3DS game wise I think only thing I'm getting is the Dillon's Rolling Western games before they leave. Also I know nothing about the games, I just know they got good reviews and that's about it.

I've got some codes for Wii U and 3DS games that should still work if people want them, so send me a DM if you want one of them. I'll do one per person for now.

Wii U
BIT.TRIP Presents... Runner2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien
The Fall
Freedom Planet
Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition

Pikmin 3 Map Packs 1-3

Runbow
Shantae and the Pirate's Curse
Sportsball
Stealth Inc 2
SteamWorld Dig
Swords & Soldiers II

3DS
Shantae and the Pirate's Curse

Last edited by a moderator:
I also have a couple of codes that I will post here when I get the chance. I believe one of them is for Freedom planet.

Noticed Culdcept: Revolt on 3DS is 75% off at $7.50, it is good
I think it's been $5 many times. But it might be the last time it's on sale, so probably still worth it.

Disclaimer: I didn't play the 3DS version, but the 360 version was fun for a bit. Unbalanced, but otherwise fun.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but it’s just purchasing that’s getting closed but we can still redownload already bought games?

I tried transferring my 3ds data to a bigger sd card but for some reason it’s not actually transferring everything. I think I might spend an afternoon just redownloading everything onto a fresh card.

Not sure what I want to buy on 3ds, but I know I gotta pick up Devils Third on Wii U since I don’t want to open up my copy.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but it’s just purchasing that’s getting closed but we can still redownload already bought games?

I tried transferring my 3ds data to a bigger sd card but for some reason it’s not actually transferring everything. I think I might spend an afternoon just redownloading everything onto a fresh card.

Not sure what I want to buy on 3ds, but I know I gotta pick up Devils Third on Wii U since I don’t want to open up my copy.
It's worth noting that one can still redownload Wii games.

https://youtu.be/ujHUMG0Uovs

This is another level of ridiculous
Only 300 icons allowed on Wii U and 3DS? Wow. I guess Nintendo felt no one is ever going to buy more than 300 digital games? Also, the DLC on 3DS sounds ridiculous. You have to play the games to a certain point to even unlock the option to purchase the DLC?

I feel like we're all dancing around the solution
This is why I don't understand all the commotion about the shop closing. All of these games, DLC, and updates have long since been "preserved" online, and it's ridiculously easy to mod a 3DS and Wii U with CFW

Only 300 icons allowed on Wii U and 3DS? Wow.
CFW also "fixes" this, although it's probably not necessary unless you're getting VC games too

Not all of us are comfortable pirating games either technologically or, in my case, morally. Criticize that mindset if you’d like, but I can’t justify stealing these 3DS and Wii U games if they’re still available to purchase legally from Nintendo for six more days. That’s why I’ll be spending hundreds of dollars on the eShop before the shops close down next week.

I held out buying anything on the (admittedly very slim) chance they Nintendo would discount these games before the shops close. Not that it is apparent that isn’t going to happen, it’s time to buy, buy, buy! 😀

Not all of us are comfortable pirating games either technologically or, in my case, morally. Criticize that mindset if you’d like, but I can’t justify stealing these 3DS and Wii U games if they’re still available to purchase legally from Nintendo for six more days. That’s why I’ll be spending hundreds of dollars on the eShop before the shops close down next week.

I held out buying anything on the (admittedly very slim) chance they Nintendo would discount these games before the shops close. Not that it is apparent that isn’t going to happen, it’s time to buy, buy, buy!
I'm waiting until thursday, as that seems to be another day sales will drop, but yeah, it's getting to the point where it's looking like there's not gonna be any closeout sales (that aren't already happening.) Which I don't understand, because I can't imagine Capcom isn't making BANK with their current eShop sales. Can't imagine other companies wouldn't do better with ANY sort of discount. Even just to get it on the sale page.

Only 300 icons allowed on Wii U and 3DS? Wow. I guess Nintendo felt no one is ever going to buy more than 300 digital games? Also, the DLC on 3DS sounds ridiculous. You have to play the games to a certain point to even unlock the option to purchase the DLC?
The DLC for that Phoenix Wright Professor Layton game is free.

Which I'm wondering, given that downloads and updates will still be around.. if this also will still end up working anyway. Maybe one day I'll finally dig through all of my backlog and will find out. Lol.

The DLC for that Phoenix Wright Professor Layton game is free.

Which I'm wondering, given that downloads and updates will still be around.. if this also will still end up working anyway. Maybe one day I'll finally dig through all of my backlog and will find out. Lol.
I mistakenly thought the eShop went away on the 23rd, not the 27th, May have to attempt a speedrun of this to get to the DLC.

If I had 2 3DS I would be fine with modding it. For now I have only one, and likely will keep it that way. I got stuff as it went on sale, or I wanted it, so I have most physical things, and my memory card is full of digital games that are unique to it like Picross 3D S2 (excellent). It does suck about the DLC, and I remember having to play a few missions in Fire Emblem Awakening I believe before I could get the DLC. This was similar to the sequel games. I had two 3DS at one time, but gave one to my sister, but at least it looks easy to mod now. I wont be getting the epilogue for Proffesor Layton Vs. Ace Attorney, as my physical copy is in a box in a storage.

Not wanting to pirate games that are still available is perfectly fine. Like I said before, I already checked to see if there was anything else I wanted to buy, and everything I was interested in I already have. It's when games become unavailable or unplayable for any reason that I become more sympathetic to modding.

Couple years ago when Sony shut down their PS Mobile servers, the games could no longer be downloaded to your Vita. Not only that, their asinine authentication methods made it so that if you ever so much as remove your memory card, you can no longer play the games you already downloaded, until you go online again to authenticate - which can't be done since the servers shut down.

I permanently lost access to the games I purchased when my memory card got corrupted. So once the Vita got hacked and PS Mobile games could be downloaded and played again, you better believe I had ZERO moral qualms about going for it.

I find the thought of morals in a copyright discussion always funny, since the companies involved are amoral entities that are only beholden to laws and public perception.

They can and do get away with everything and anything they want; Nintendo even lobbies to keep libraries from having access to games.  They're the opposite of moral.

And copyright violations, in the USA, are civil offenses, not criminal. 

So you do you, but a moral basis is incomplete without considering the preponderance of the "hazard" involved, meaning the companies are just fine being immoral/unethical as long as line goes up and no one catches them or cares. 

And I have a large physical and digital library for my 3DS already. :)

Sure would be nice to have a list of 3DS games with DLC (and bizarrely, how to access the ability to buy the DLC).

Oh, perfect. I'm weirdly way more excited to play this over Bayonetta 3, despite seeing maybe... five seconds of footage. Though at this point, I just buy based on vibes or whatever and it usually works out.
There’s a demo in the eshop & progress carries over so you could try it out before you buy.

Not all of us are comfortable pirating games either technologically or, in my case, morally.
Technologically? Everything is available on the internet archive. No viruses there, if that's what you're worried about. If it's the actual modding process then it's literally just following a simple guide. If you're savvy enough to use CAG then you're savvy enough to mod a 3DS or Wii U and find some games online

Morally? They are literally taking away the ability to buy these games next week. If they don't want to sell them to you, why should you feel bad about playing them for free? It's no different than myabandonware for old PC games

This guy has a couple great videos about DLC and this one about which require grinding first to access.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mZBuCKeC2zM

I had to do some work and research to find out which DLC to get and had to play quite a bit of Fire Emblem and Devil Summoner 2. Think of my digital and physical games I've got everything essential except Dragon Quest 7 DLC, FE Echoes and Culdcept Revolt DLC, which I'll get to tomorrow after I give my wallet a rest. Looks like there is a DQ7 DLC that requires beating the whole game but might (or might not) be on a non-Nintendo/eShop server??

Does there really need to be Dragon Quest VII DLC the game is incredibly long, I guess you could blast through those 100 hours before the 27th to find out if you are going to need more

welp, time to consider the DQ7 one lost forever then! all I know about that game is that it’s ungodly long.

there is some hope that the unlock key thing on Layton VS Wright may also be independent from the eShop, but there’s no indication either way.

For what it’s worth, if you mod your 3DS, you should be able to find and download DLC for games you’ve bought that won’t let you access the DLC easily at the start of the game and apply it later at a time of your choosing.

It’s impractical, but I believe the eShop has a section for titles with DLC. It won’t tell you what it is, how much it costs nor how you get it though!
You're right, but I suspect that is incomplete. I say that because the Wii U eShop has the same section, and I found some games missing from it.

bread's done
Back