Nintendo eShop Deals and Discussions

psunami

CAGiversary!
Feedback
48 (100%)
Thanks to Frisky for all of the hard work that he put in for the previous deals threads (and continues to on this thread!)

Feel free to post here about the newest Nintendo eShop deals, My Nintendo rewards and discussions about the previously mentioned items.

Nintendo Sales and Deals page

Last edited:
I'm streaming the four new games added to the NSO NES/SNES/GB apps if you want to see them in action.

Edit: Here's the archive. All four games are pretty solid. Xevious holds up pretty well, so you can get pretty decent at it after learning where enemy layouts during a few playthroughs. Side Pocket is what billiards games were in that era, though the rewind lets you get passed some of the guesswork. BurgerTime Deluxe is a pretty good version of BurgerTime for the Game Boy, which can be best enjoyed with save states before starting each stage. Kirby's Dream Land 2 is solid for a Kirby game of that era, but some areas seem designed to fuck with you if you don't have the right buddy and power for the situation.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's annoying that games redeemed by codes aren't listed in your eshop purchase history and the only way to see that you've bought them is to visit that game's page in the store.

Still tempted to get Layton/Wright since it is unclear on the bonus dlc being tied to the eShop. What about the other Layton games? Worth the price? Physical is ridiculous.

Still tempted to get Layton/Wright since it is unclear on the bonus dlc being tied to the eShop. What about the other Layton games? Worth the price? Physical is ridiculous.
Yeah I’m not sure if the Layton/Phoenix is tied to the shop. I have a physical and recently finished it, when I unlocked it it was super quick (just a couple seconds) which didn’t feel like a download to me. Almost like it was already on the cart and key unlocked them. Because even 3DS themes have taken longer to download than that.

And the other Layton games are worth it (to me at least). Physical will probably get even more ridiculous when the new game comes out.m

Yeah I’m not sure if the Layton/Phoenix is tied to the shop. I have a physical and recently finished it, when I unlocked it it was super quick (just a couple seconds) which didn’t feel like a download to me. Almost like it was already on the cart and key unlocked them. Because even 3DS themes have taken longer to download than that.
Yeah, the content is definitely already in the cart/initial download, it’s only the unlock that has to download.

I think sales usually start on Tuesday so I think this is it. Anyone got the New Super Mario Bros 2 DLC? Tempted because it’s Mario but eh think I can live without.

FWIW the DLC for Layton vs Phoenix Wright is very slight. It is a bunch of few minutes long vignettes basically seeing "what are these people up to now?" a year or so later, no gameplay or anything to them. If it is on youtube then you lose nothing just watching it on there.

Alright, pretty sure there aren't any new sales coming for the 3DS shop closing.

Picked up all the Fire Emblem Fates DLC (Conquest, Revelations, Map Pack 1 & 2).

Picked up Fantasy LIfe & Layton/Wright.

Still on the fence on Kid Icarus. I've heard almost nothing but good things, but I've also heard the control scheme is awful. Plus there continue to be rumors about it coming to the Switch.
Kid Icarus uprising is fantastic, and will hopefully be even better on switch with new controls, but this is still just a rumor. It’s one of the best 3DS games and most iconic of the system. Id get it for that regardless of switch rumors, as the 3d effects add a lot to the flying sections. Even if you end up with two copies, the 3DS release would still have some advantages. Tough spot though, I’ll be glad to have played it on both systems if that is how it works out, which should be the case, but I’d hate to miss out on it if it doesn’t.

I found this review of the new super Mario 2 DLC https://www.destructoid.com/impressions-new-super-mario-bros-2-dlc/. Sounds ok, if it truly is the first DLC ever released for a first party Nintendo game I may want to own it just because of that. I probably boycotted it because of that back in the day, but the floodgates are open at this point, and Nintendo hasn’t been terrible about it yet.

On another note, a few people have mentioned having more codes to give out. If there is still an affordable space adventures floating around I’d be interested. Thanks.

End of an era for the Nintendo badge arcade on the 3ds as they stopped the daily two free plays and the last update of rotating badges each day was yesterday. When you go in today it is the same badges from yesterday.

I am guessing there will be a final 3ds update once the eshop shuts down and see what they do to badge arcade so you still can view your collection.

End of an era for the Nintendo badge arcade on the 3ds as they stopped the daily two free plays and the last update of rotating badges each day was yesterday. When you go in today it is the same badges from yesterday.

I am guessing there will be a final 3ds update once the eshop shuts down and see what they do to badge arcade so you still can view your collection.
I noticed that too. I got what I wanted long ago (system and controller icons for folders), but I was thinking that too. In the app is the best way to view the badges. Hopefully they do update it to keep it as a viewer.

Edit: It's worth noting that the practice plays are still active, so it's still possible to get some free plays.

re: Phoenix Wright vs Professor Layton

So even though I knew I wouldn't have time to play through this for the download (in case that is locked) it dawned on me that my copy was bought used and there was a chance the previous owner finished the game.  This morning (3/24) I brought my New3DS and the game with me to work, fired it up and sure enough it not only had a finished save but saves for extra stuff.  None of the extra stuff saves worked.  So I turned the wifi communication on and connected up... then loaded the main finished game save and went into the option for the extras.  Sure enough it asked if I wanted to download the unlock key.  Key downloaded, now the other saves work.

The key downloaded to my SD card.

It's important to note that I'm on version 11.13.0-45U firmware and I can't go into the eshop nor download themes right now.  So it didn't require being up to date to get the key.

So what I'll do next month is fire up my 2DS (bought cheap from Nintendo when they were liquidating the refurbished models) and without updating it, see if the key will download since the requirements are saved on the cart but the key is floating around on whatever server it's on.  This 2DS also isn't connected to my nintendo account or anything as I mainly bought it for messing with and just haven't gotten around to it.

Side question:

Is there any reason not to update my New3DS... or should I update it but just not do whatever final update they have as eventually I intend to  open it up for emulation and stuff.

All versions of the firmware have the ability to be bypassed for CFW. There's not been a meaningful attempt by Nintendo to stop that in some time and/or the methods available now are foolproof.

My New 3DS LL is obviously not on the eShop, but my new 2DS XL is, it's fully updated, and have no issue managing my backup content.

Kid Icarus uprising is fantastic, and will hopefully be even better on switch with new controls, but this is still just a rumor. It’s one of the best 3DS games and most iconic of the system. Id get it for that regardless of switch rumors, as the 3d effects add a lot to the flying sections. Even if you end up with two copies, the 3DS release would still have some advantages. Tough spot though, I’ll be glad to have played it on both systems if that is how it works out, which should be the case, but I’d hate to miss out on it if it doesn’t.
Unfortunately I only have new 2DS, so I wouldn't be able to take advantage of the 3D effects. I'm still considering it though.

I'm posting these again in case people aren't going back to check. Again please let me know which ones have been redeemed so I can update it.
B0L8DRJ50C1QY2LV
Citizens of Earth - Wii U
Humble Friends of Nintendo Bundle

B0L6SN340M1K5295
Darksiders II - Wii U

B0L8RR194X8FQ02R
Retro City Rampage: DX - Nintendo 3DS

B0L8R3JN35G3RH14
Retro City Rampage: Nintendo 3DS Theme

B0LPF6DN2V961KDP
Shantae and the Pirate's Curse - Nintendo 3DS

B0L8CDCK5J7PF1TX
Shantae and the Pirate's Curse - Wii U

B0L7TDNM37G3G4KF
Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition - Nintendo 3DS

B0L6LN1P32RG0KQM
Swords & Soldiers II - Wii U

A08L0Y3S2YJK6CGS
The Fall Wii U
Humble Nindie Bundle presented by Nintendo eShop

A08MJTJ02HPYGE7E
Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition Wii U
Humble Nindie Bundle presented by Nintendo eSh"]Humble Nindie Bundle presented by Nintendo eShop

A08M69AN2YJ433KV
Lurkers took them all.

re: Phoenix Wright vs Professor Layton

So even though I knew I wouldn't have time to play through this for the download (in case that is locked) it dawned on me that my copy was bought used and there was a chance the previous owner finished the game. This morning (3/24) I brought my New3DS and the game with me to work, fired it up and sure enough it not only had a finished save but saves for extra stuff. None of the extra stuff saves worked. So I turned the wifi communication on and connected up... then loaded the main finished game save and went into the option for the extras. Sure enough it asked if I wanted to download the unlock key. Key downloaded, now the other saves work.
The key downloaded to my SD card.

It's important to note that I'm on version 11.13.0-45U firmware and I can't go into the eshop nor download themes right now. So it didn't require being up to date to get the key.

So what I'll do next month is fire up my 2DS (bought cheap from Nintendo when they were liquidating the refurbished models) and without updating it, see if the key will download since the requirements are saved on the cart but the key is floating around on whatever server it's on. This 2DS also isn't connected to my nintendo account or anything as I mainly bought it for messing with and just haven't gotten around to it.

Side question:

Is there any reason not to update my New3DS... or should I update it but just not do whatever final update they have as eventually I intend to open it up for emulation and stuff.
It’s actually better to have a fully updated system before attempting to mod it, as current modding methods require the latest official firmware and are easier and less dangerous than earlier methods.

Should I get Professor Layton/Phoenix wright or Rhythm Heaven megamix. I'm hunting for physical copy PL v PW but this maybe the last chance for it?

For the 3DS I grabbed:

Pushmo

Stretchmo (grabbed in game DLC for all parks)

Crashmo

Nano Assualt Ex

Rusty's Real Deal Baseball - per an online guide I haggled Rusty for cheapest prices for the 10 mini games. You do have to play to earn items / discount tickets to get the cheapest prices so do not wait until last minute. Some mini games are more fun than others

Now watch these games be announced for the Switch 8-[ 

I was lucky and got that game as a Club Nintendo award one of the years before Club Nintendo rode off into the sunset.
That's sweet! I got a lot of good rewards out of Club Nintendo myself. Missed the Kid Icarus deal though. No big deal. The game at $35 seems like a steal to me and I want it digitally.

I bought a couple games on Wii U just now too:

Smash Bros Wii U

Super Paper Mario

I am officially done with old school eShop purchases now :)

I was lucky and got that game as a Club Nintendo award one of the years before Club Nintendo rode off into the sunset.
CAG was awesome for that back then. People were selling WiiU and 3DS game codes for $7 -$10 (they had thousands of points from flipping games to Gamestop). I think I got nearly all of them.

My haul so far:

3DS
Tappingo - $1.99
Balloon Pop Remix -2.99
Hazumi - $2.99
Siesta Fiesta - $5.99
WiiU
Flowerworks HD: Follie's Adventure - $1.99
Zack & WIki - $2.99

I'm done with 3DS. I wanted Fluidity ($10.99) and the Mario Golf DLC ($14), but they didn't go on sale so I think I'm just going to have to miss out.

I still need to give the WiiU another look. Probably get some more pinball tables, but is anyone else terrified to drop money on games with all the reports of failing chips and carts? Especially the WiiU since they're so rare. That 3DS I was fixing up had the rubber on the thumb pad just disintegrate when I tried to wipe it clean. Replacing it is way out of my league, so that's a bummer.

Since we are talking about Wii U, does anyone have recommendations for the exact type of hard drive and USB cables that are ideal for expanding storage on the system?  I've been using an SD card all these years since I only play my Wii U once every couple of months.  And yes, I know that I can Google it, but at this point, I'm concerned that the equipment that I need might be ancient and hard to locate on Amazon.  If people can provide recommendations based on what they purchased to do so, it would be very helpful.

Since we are talking about Wii U, does anyone have recommendations for the exact type of hard drive and USB cables that are ideal for expanding storage on the system? I've been using an SD card all these years since I only play my Wii U once every couple of months. And yes, I know that I can Google it, but at this point, I'm concerned that the equipment that I need might be ancient and hard to locate on Amazon. If people can provide recommendations based on what they purchased to do so, it would be very helpful.
I have a WD 1 TB powered USB HD I purchased for around $80 back in 2015 on Amazon. Since the Wii U uses USB 2.0 ports you need a powered USB drive to only use one USB port. If you don't care about using 2 usb ports get a non powered USB drive and get a usb splitter cable : https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L1K1OIA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have a WD 1 TB powered USB HD I purchased back for around $80 back in 2015 on Amazon. Since the Wii U uses USB 2.0 ports you need a powered USB drive to only use one USB port. If you don't care about using 2 usb ports get a non powered USB drive and get a usb splitter cable : https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L1K1OIA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Thanks, buddy! That was a great answer! I might make some Wii U purchases over the weekend, but I already own several digital games for the system that I never had the space to download, so the darn thing won't have to be a doorstop after the eShop takes its final bow.

I don't know if it's the best for archival, but I just got one of those mini usb memory sticks and plugged it in the back of the console. it barely sticks out and 64gb ~tripples the 32gb on-board for under $15 bucks. I mainly just grabbed the dlc for disc games and updates for zeldas and xenoblade just in case. I have almost no digital wii u stuff.

I'm not too concerned about DLC, considering they are full priced, but one thing that I'm trying to make sure I do, just in case it's not available once it's closed, is download all the software updates for the games I own.

Unless you're buying a ton of big Wii U games, which may be an oxymoron, a USB stick with plenty of space should be good enough vs an external hard drive.

I'm streaming some of the narrative puzzle game Storyteller if you want to see it in action.

Edit: Here's the archive. I like the way that this storytelling puzzle game does everything a lot, though it's only issue is that it shouldn't be a long game since I got through five of thirteen chapters in a bit over 30 minutes or so. I'm guessing that it'll be a 2-3 hour game, which seems about right for what this game is doing. You're basically taking the title of the scene and setting down the characters and backdrops to make the title true with some having alternate solutions that it'll call out after you finish the primary solution.

Thanks, buddy! That was a great answer! I might make some Wii U purchases over the weekend, but I already own several digital games for the system that I never had the space to download, so the darn thing won't have to be a doorstop after the eShop takes its final bow.
Glad I could help :) If you can find a smaller capacity than 1TB that would be ideal. I don't think I am using 200 GBs on the 1TB drive that I have and I have a decent digital library on Wii U. So even 512 GB is probably overkill.

I had a non powered drive with the splitter cable for the Wii U initially. When I wanted to use the Nintendo USB ethernet adapter I decided to get a powered drive because there are only 2 USB ports on the back of the Wii U and I did not want to connect the HD in the front 2 USB ports. There is that Gamecube controller adapter that Nintendo released with Smash Bros Wii U that uses 2 USB ports as well. USB ports get used up fast when you need 2 for a couple devices.

A USB hub would have solved the issue for me as well I suppose. That still would need external power though.

I don't know if it's the best for archival, but I just got one of those mini usb memory sticks and plugged it in the back of the console. it barely sticks out and 64gb ~tripples the 32gb on-board for under $15 bucks. I mainly just grabbed the dlc for disc games and updates for zeldas and xenoblade just in case. I have almost no digital wii u stuff.
Good idea. Is it a USB 2.0 or a USB 3.0?

I'm done with 3DS. I wanted Fluidity ($10.99) and the Mario Golf DLC ($14), but they didn't go on sale so I think I'm just going to have to miss out.
After seeing you mention the Mario Golf DLC I realized that I had never purchased the season pass as I was waiting for a sale as well but I now caved in and grabbed it. Sigh as FOMO wins :whistle2:(

On the Wii U side I had forgot that the Wii remote can act like a gun zapper and even makes the click sound out of the wii remote speaker. So I grabbed Duck Hunt, Wild Gunman and Hogan’s Alley for the NES as very unlikely we ever see those on the NSO.

Nostalgia is a powerful drug.

Good idea. Is it a USB 2.0 or a USB 3.0?
Wii U is usb 2.0, but a 3.0 usb stick will work. you just will not get the extra speed. I think all of the micro ones I saw were 3.0. It was worth a few extra bucks to me to go that route. My hope was to put it in the front usb port but the little door does not close with it in.

I am actually thinking about doing this with my xbox one for 360 games to free up space, but would want a 256 or 512 GB one.

Chances Pocket card jockey getting ported to the Switch since it is on Apple Arcade now?  Or should I just get the 3ds version.

Also does anyone have a Shantae 3ds code and/or Bit.trip Runner 2 Wii U code?

Thanks to envelopes for the BIT.TRIP runner 2 code!

Debating whether to drop the $20 on Mario vs Donkey Kong Tipping Stars considering it's one of the few crossbuy titles. I played some of the series ages ago but it's been a reeeeeally long time.

I'm streaming some Wii U stuff with the eShop's shutdown happening in a couple of days.

Edit: Going to try this again next week due to a power outage and some issues with my Wii U.

After seeing you mention the Mario Golf DLC I realized that I had never purchased the season pass as I was waiting for a sale as well but I now caved in and grabbed it. Sigh as FOMO wins :whistle2:(

On the Wii U side I had forgot that the Wii remote can act like a gun zapper and even makes the click sound out of the wii remote speaker. So I grabbed Duck Hunt, Wild Gunman and Hogan’s Alley for the NES as very unlikely we ever see those on the NSO.

Nostalgia is a powerful drug.
And I bought Fluidity :lol: The mental gymnastics to justify these purchases could win a gold medal. Fluidity has a lot of challenge and content, and I like a similar game called The Big Journey, so I'm not too ashamed of myself.

So far I purchased

Mario Golf Season Pass (6 extra courses)

Resident Evil Mercenaries -  only $3 and supposedly you can't reset a physical copy, so you are always stuck with someone elses save unless you buy a sealed copy)

Soul of Darkness - Castlevania Clone

Warioware Snapped - Digital only Warioware game

Also a Bunch of Kirby, Mario Vs. DK games that have digital only versions.  

Can anyone confirm if Super Mario Advance 3 is still for sale on the Wii U, it has exclusive levels that weren't on the physical cart because they were only on e-reader cards.  

I'm having trouble with the Wii U and might have to do a full console reboot and I think you need to call Nintendo to do it.  Ugh.  

Are the DLC levels in the Smash Wii U and 3DS   worth it?

EDIT  Anyone know what time on the 27th the store will go down?  I just assume it will really end with the 26th, don't want to risk based on timezone closing before I make any last minute buys.  

So far I purchased

Mario Golf Season Pass (6 extra courses)

Resident Evil Mercenaries - only $3 and supposedly you can't reset a physical copy, so you are always stuck with someone elses save unless you buy a sealed copy)

Soul of Darkness - Castlevania Clone

Warioware Snapped - Digital only Warioware game

Also a Bunch of Kirby, Mario Vs. DK games that have digital only versions.

Can anyone confirm if Super Mario Advance 3 is still for sale on the Wii U, it has exclusive levels that weren't on the physical cart because they were only on e-reader cards.

I'm having trouble with the Wii U and might have to do a full console reboot and I think you need to call Nintendo to do it. Ugh.

Are the DLC levels in the Smash Wii U and 3DS worth it?

EDIT Anyone know what time on the 27th the store will go down? I just assume it will really end with the 26th, don't want to risk based on timezone closing before I make any last minute buys.
Yes, the VC version of Super Mario Bros 3 Advanced 4 or whatever the hell they number it is the one with the E-Reader levels, they're also on the Switch GBA player with Nintendo Online. As for the Smash stuff, if you got Smash Ultimate it's kinda pointless since they're all already on there.

bread's done
Back