Nintendo eShop Deals and Discussions

psunami

CAGiversary!
Feedback
48 (100%)
Thanks to Frisky for all of the hard work that he put in for the previous deals threads (and continues to on this thread!)

Feel free to post here about the newest Nintendo eShop deals, My Nintendo rewards and discussions about the previously mentioned items.

Nintendo Sales and Deals page

Last edited:
Ninfriendo's can you guys reccomend a good screen protector for the oled switch?
Oled model comes with a built-in screen protector (though you can still add your own): https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2021/10/switch-oled-comes-with-a-screen-protector-installed-but-please-dont-remove-it-says-nintendo

I'm using this one from AMfilm

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B09B1L53CB

Zero complaints
That's the brand I used on my family's regular model Switches. Works great.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m not a big fan of open world games but I bought totk on impulse. For those who have played it, is there a linear storyline that I can stick to and not get too bogged down in side quests?

Honestly love games that just tell me where to go if I’m unsure (like bioshock 2 and dead space) and enjoy the story.

I’m not a big fan of open world games but I bought totk on impulse. For those who have played it, is there a linear storyline that I can stick to and not get too bogged down in side quests?

Honestly love games that just tell me where to go if I’m unsure (like bioshock 2 and dead space) and enjoy the story.
If its anything like the first one, you know exactly where you need to go and gain all the tools you need to get there in the tutorial section. In that sense, the whole game is a side quest since you technically don't have to do any of it. Although you'd benefit from doing it by gaining resources, armor sets, heart containers, fun times, lore, ect. Its a game that rewards your exploration, but you aren't forced to do it. The game can be as challenging as you want it to be in that sense.

If its anything like the first one, you know exactly where you need to go and gain all the tools you need to get there in the tutorial section. In that sense, the whole game is a side quest since you technically don't have to do any of it. Although you'd benefit from doing it by gaining resources, armor sets, heart containers, fun times, lore, ect. Its a game that rewards your exploration, but you aren't forced to do it. The game can be as challenging as you want it to be in that sense.
Someone already got to the end credits with 94 minutes of game time.

I just finished the starting area. It is very clear initially regarding where to go if you want a linear experience. If you played BOTW then it is pretty straightforward regarding where to go and how to go where you need to go. If you enjoy some light puzzle-solving and crafting then the experience will be even better. The main thing to do is to complete the puzzle temples (shrines from BOTW) and exchange the rewards for upgrades on your health or stamina. Those upgrades will allow you to reach more difficult areas and help you survive the more difficult enemies. If you haven't played BOTW, I think playing that game is worth completing before TOTK as it has a similar core gameplay loop. The biggest thing about the open world is that you create your own markers on the map (for the most part) as opposed to how other games mark them for you. Don't expect a big dotted line on your HUD with distance to target or an optimal route mapped for you.

I can’t think of a game worse to skip for non-story reasons than BOTW.  If you like tears you would like BOTW, but all the mechanic discoveries would feel old going back to it.  And tears isn’t that much better that you should skip right to it.  Definitely missing out on story continuity as well, but could probably follow along fine.  The biggest potential issue i guess, BOTW is a masterpiece (and I say that not being thrilled with Zelda going open world) that you’d still enjoy if you liked tears, but would be diminishing a bunch if you went back to it.  And if you don’t like BOTW, you wouldn’t like tears, it’s more like you’re skipping the first half of the same game, which I have trouble comprehending, but it is the newer shinier one I guess.

I need some help.  I noticed on one of my Switch eShop accounts that the game Event Horizon: Space Defense was on sale for 19 cents.  I assume that's because I already own the prequel game Event Horizon.  That game is also showing up on the store for 19 cents. 

According to dekudeals, the current sale price for Space Defense is $1.99.  Both games are published by Drageus Games.

I'd like to buy both games on my other Switch eShop account for 19 cents, so does anyone know if there is some sort of Drageus Games promotion going on and what game I can buy for $1.99 so that I can get both Event Horizon games for 19 cents each?

Hopefully someone can reply soon because I think that this sale ends in 8 hours from the time that I am posting this.  Thanks in advance.

I would assume so; special discount sales are not uncommon among a few publishers for people who already own some of their games. I just checked and there are only two games of theirs that I don't already have.

I need some help. I noticed on one of my Switch eShop accounts that the game Event Horizon: Space Defense was on sale for 19 cents. I assume that's because I already own the prequel game Event Horizon. That game is also showing up on the store for 19 cents.

According to dekudeals, the current sale price for Space Defense is $1.99. Both games are published by Drageus Games.

I'd like to buy both games on my other Switch eShop account for 19 cents, so does anyone know if there is some sort of Drageus Games promotion going on and what game I can buy for $1.99 so that I can get both Event Horizon games for 19 cents each?

Hopefully someone can reply soon because I think that this sale ends in 8 hours from the time that I am posting this. Thanks in advance.
You are correct. Their whole collection is between .09 and .99 on switch for me.

https://www.dekudeals.com/games?filter[publisher]=Drageus+Games

There are sequels that you can be fine as the game doesn't depend too much on having played the prequel, but for the most part unless the original is highly flawed or something it's worth playing the first. I can't imagine just jumping into the Horizon sequel, or the newer GoW sequel, or Tears of the Kingdom. The sequels build off the first ones and you would be doing an injustice going into the sequel first. I did this when I was younger for Kingdom Hearts 2, but I don't do it now later on.

Kh1 original I'd imagine most people wouldn't recommend and just say to skip to 2. I haven't played the remake but since it uses a later engine I'd be more willing to try getting further in it.

Unpopular opinion but I would rec to most to skip cold steel 1 and go straight to 2. But that's mainly because that game is almost entirely filler with hardly any plot until the end and then it stops on a cliffhanger. I get that they wanted to make their money's worth from the engine which is also the reason for Tokyo Xanadu/ex+. But cs1 doesn't remotely respect a players time. Cut out all the filler and it's maybe 14 hours long. And if they really wanted to they should have included the class b side where important plot events happen including visiting a party member hometown which gives their backstory. But instead they just give you a minor tidbit when you talk to Machias another classmate about it and hoard it for later in 2.

[SIZE=17.6px]The online service for Nintendo Switch Online subscriber-only software "PAC-MAN 99" will end on Sunday, October 8, 2023. You can continue to enjoy the offline mode of paid additional content even after the online service ends.[/SIZE]
Didn't care for Pac Man 99 compared to Tetris 99, but I'll get the offline DLC if it drops to $7.50 again.

I just ordered a zelda oled switch from bestbuy , is there any good deals on SD cards anywhere that stand out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Samsung Pro Plus is what I'd get. Depends on what size you want (which depends on how many digital games you have). It's on sale in different sizes on Amazon and Best Buy.

If you want the biggest size, Amazon has the 512gb for $45

Amazon also has the faster SanDisk 512GB Extreme for $53. Not sure how much faster it would be. Also the SAMSUNG EVO Select for $45. I think that might be faster than the pro too iirc. I’m currently searching too, so any input on what I mentioned would be appreciated.

Someone on offerup is trading TOTK for my brand new PS5 controller. You guys think it’s worth it ? I’m still playing breath of the wild and was planning on buying my copy when I go to Japan in September since the exchange is so good. The controller has been sitting in my closet 2 years and I haven’t played my ps5 much. If anything I won’t get to play it til next month. I do like having the idea of having a backup controller though

Someone on offerup is trading TOTK for my brand new PS5 controller. You guys think it’s worth it ? I’m still playing breath of the wild and was planning on buying my copy when I go to Japan in September since the exchange is so good. The controller has been sitting in my closet 2 years and I haven’t played my ps5 much. If anything I won’t get to play it til next month. I do like having the idea of having a backup controller though
Would definitely do it, especially if you got it cheap on Black Friday. Would be a great game to play in the plane to Japan.

I guess the news that BOTW/TOTK is the template for Zelda going forward, has me rethinking my statement about how BOTW would be terrible to skip over for the sequel, for non-story reasons.  Still missing out on main story, area and even minor npc continuity; and you’d be cramming all the cool mechanic’s revelations and new approaches to gameplay into one game, instead of a gradual introduction over two.  But I was still assuming Zelda series would be mixing things up every few games as they have for the last 35 years, and this would be it.  This style is selling too well for them to do that now though I guess.  Time is limited, these are wonderful, but bloated games, and there will be more and better of the same thing, so yeah, skip BOTW if you have to.

I miss the old formula, but it’s leagues better than skyward sword.  If that’s how the old formula games would have kept progressing, the series is better off like this I guess.  I’m still really liking tears, GOTY, that adds as much as any other Zelda game has to its same generation predecessor, but copies the formula and assets of its predecessor more closely than any other as well.  I’m going to be disappointed if the next game doesn’t change things up a bit more, try to add more traditional elements back in, or reduce the empty parts of the open world design more.  Wouldn’t mind music going back to the iconic classical style themes instead of this light jazz or whatever BOTW style soundtrack is supposed to be either.

Amazon also has the faster SanDisk 512GB Extreme for $53. Not sure how much faster it would be. Also the SAMSUNG EVO Select for $45. I think that might be faster than the pro too iirc. I’m currently searching too, so any input on what I mentioned would be appreciated.
The pro plus is the best in the 512gb class. I think that changes once you go up to 1 tb, but most people don't need 1tb on a switch. Pro Plus is definitely better than the evo cards, and afaik it's better than the sandisk extreme. It's the card I bought after I got my Zelda OLED recently.

There's only 2 issues with it (and any other card of similar specs)

1. The card surpasses the limits of the sd slot on the switch for read speed so you won't actually get full use out of the speed, so you'd probably be fine with one of the cheaper Samsung evo cards. The reason I went with the pro plus is I might use it for something else in the future which could use the full speed (for example ROG ally). It's not much more expensive and it's a bit more future proof

2. Buying from Amazon can be a risk because they mix their third party inventory with the inventory they use for stuff directly shipped/sold by Amazon so you might get a fake card. Amazon still has an excellent return policy and there's an official Samsung program to test if it's fake or not so it's not a huge deal. If bought from Best buy or other stores that don't mix their inventory you have no chance of fakes though.

No. They don’t do that. They mix 3rd party inventory together but they keep Amazon inventory separate. I have never gotten a fake if it’s sold and shipped by Amazon.

No. They don’t do that. They mix 3rd party inventory together but they keep Amazon inventory separate. I have never gotten a fake if it’s sold and shipped by Amazon.
If you check other deal sites like slickdeals or reddit they tend to say otherwise and a lot of people report getting fakes when ordering even if it says shipped/sold by Amazon. At this point it's a known issue if you search around. There's always the chance that you'll be fine and only get legit cards though.

If you check other deal sites like skickdeals or reddit they tend to say otherwise and a lot of people report getting fakes when ordering even if it says shipped/sold by Amazon. At this point it's a known issue if you search around. There's always the chance that you'll be fine and only get legit cards though.
Yeah Amazon has comingled their own inventory for years. They always claim they don't but I have had it happen to me multiple times, the old seller central forums would always get threads locked and deleted when people would provide proof.

Would definitely do it, especially if you got it cheap on Black Friday. Would be a great game to play in the plane to Japan.
Thanks for the push. It worked out we were both super happy and we didn’t have to spend money. I’ll still take my time on botw but I have something to look forward to!

I guess the news that BOTW/TOTK is the template for Zelda going forward
It makes sense, it's the forumula closest to the original game on NES. A nice open world where you can go tackle things in the order you want with only minor restrictions here and there. I mean this is a heck of a lot more complex than that but the modern games are what I imagined Zelda could be back in the day (talking the open freedom).

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but does anyone know if the merchandise ever gets restocked on Nintendo.com.  Missed out on the TotK mug and am wondering if it'll get additional inventory

Got the zelda rewards keychain in today. It's nice. The new zelda case comes with screen protectors that work well.

Last set of Zelda icon parts in the online app on the switch.  It's about 150 plat coins for all of it.

The pro plus is the best in the 512gb class. I think that changes once you go up to 1 tb, but most people don't need 1tb on a switch. Pro Plus is definitely better than the evo cards, and afaik it's better than the sandisk extreme. It's the card I bought after I got my Zelda OLED recently.

There's only 2 issues with it (and any other card of similar specs)

1. The card surpasses the limits of the sd slot on the switch for read speed so you won't actually get full use out of the speed, so you'd probably be fine with one of the cheaper Samsung evo cards. The reason I went with the pro plus is I might use it for something else in the future which could use the full speed (for example ROG ally). It's not much more expensive and it's a bit more future proof

2. Buying from Amazon can be a risk because they mix their third party inventory with the inventory they use for stuff directly shipped/sold by Amazon so you might get a fake card. Amazon still has an excellent return policy and there's an official Samsung program to test if it's fake or not so it's not a huge deal. If bought from Best buy or other stores that don't mix their inventory you have no chance of fakes though.
Thanks! Talked me out of the Sandisk and saved me some $!

Looks like I have $5 to Best Buy, so I can avoid Amazon entirely.

Paying extra for inferior versions of SNES games that should already be on the default tier? Man, I gotta get in on the Expansion Pack!

Paying extra for inferior versions of SNES games that should already be on the default tier? Man, I gotta get in on the Expansion Pack!
IMO these are the ultimate versions. SNES versions are good too, but there's more to do in these which are based on the SNES versions.

IMO these are the ultimate versions. SNES versions are good too, but there's more to do in these which are based on the SNES versions.
Oh, sure, I love colorful platformers with washed out colors and cropped screens. And don't forget the GBA's amazing extra tinny soundchip.

It's like Donkey Kong... which version is the best?  The 1994 Gameboy version.  It takes the original arcade game and expands upon it.  So what it has fewer colors and lower end graphics (though it does have Super Game Boy enhancements).  It's the ultimate version of Donkey Kong.

bread's done
Back