Nintendo eShop Deals and Discussions

psunami

CAGiversary!
Feedback
48 (100%)
Thanks to Frisky for all of the hard work that he put in for the previous deals threads (and continues to on this thread!)

Feel free to post here about the newest Nintendo eShop deals, My Nintendo rewards and discussions about the previously mentioned items.

Nintendo Sales and Deals page

Last edited:
Thanks to all for the input on the Zelda games and Z-Saber for recommending A Link to the Past as a starting point. I’ll start my Zelda playlist like this:

A Link to the Past
Link’s Awakening
BotW
TotK
Hyrule Warriors

Ocarina of Time and Majora's mask are must plays in my opinion. But not sure how tough they would be to get into if you never played them on N64. Also honorable mention to Wind Waker which is one of my favorite 3D Zelda games.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks to all for the input on the Zelda games and Z-Saber for recommending A Link to the Past as a starting point. I’ll start my Zelda playlist like this:

A Link to the Past
Link’s Awakening
BotW
TotK
Hyrule Warriors
Ocarina of Time is the greatest game of all time imo. You absolutely have to play it in full. Plus you're probably going to burn yourself out if you play BoTW and TotK back to back. Open world burnout is real. Lol!

Honestly, I’d say just play TotK if that’s primarily what you are interested in.  Tears is basically BotW on steroids.  The main world map, art assets and gameplay systems being the same, I can’t imagine playing both back to back.  I’m not sure if the burnout from playing a huge game in mostly the same world again would be worth getting the story continuity or not.  The main story of BotW you could watch a 10 minute summary and be fine, but there are tons of smaller NPC stories that carryover as well, I think that would be the worst thing to miss out on.  Not playing the games before BotW is fine, unless you want to play them for their own sake.  I’d recommend just a link to the past to get the basic themes in a quick fun package that is not 3D Zelda like tears yet.  Can play more of the classics after if you want, the order doesn’t matter.

They said Zelda games on the Switch. Best way to play Ocarina and Majora’s Mask would be…3DS?
OoT and MM are on Switch so... the recommendations are fine. He may want to play on his TV too. It would be cost effective for him to just play the roms on NSO rather than buy 3DS games. This is CAG after all.

I would say start with BOTW and then go to TOTK if you like BOTW.

The other Zelda games can always be experienced later but you should enjoy the current generation now while others are still experiencing it fresh

You can jump right into TOTK if you want. I think it makes BOTW feel like a tech demo by comparison. Plus playing them back to back could result in burnout because they are massive games.

And I'm surprised nobody is mentioning Wind Waker. That is the best Zelda along with Ocarina imo.

I'm a long time fan of Tetris Attack and other games with that gameplay style, but I just recently got the NSO Expansion pack and this is my first time playing Pokémon Puzzle League. Comparing it to Tetris Attack, it feels a lot stiffer and clunkier. The audio is a bit washed out too, which I guess was due to them creating all new vocal and musical files for the English version.

For the most part I'm underwhelmed so far. I've heard that there are brand new gameplay styles though, which I'm looking forward to.

You can jump right into TOTK if you want. I think it makes BOTW feel like a tech demo by comparison. Plus playing them back to back could result in burnout because they are massive games.

And I'm surprised nobody is mentioning Wind Waker. That is the best Zelda along with Ocarina imo
TheLegendofTyler gave an honorable mention for Wind Waker. I'll start with TotK and move on to A Link to the Past to help avoid open world burnout. Looks like I'll be starting a NSO Expansion Pack 'Family' Soon. Again, thanks to everyone for the input!

So maybe my playlist should go like this:

TotK

A Link to the Past

Link's Awakening

Ocarina of Time

Hyrule Warriors

Majora's Mask

BotW

Wind Waker

Ocarina of Time and Majora's mask are must plays in my opinion. But not sure how tough they would be to get into if you never played them on N64. Also honorable mention to Wind Waker which is one of my favorite 3D Zelda games.

And I'm surprised nobody is mentioning Wind Waker. That is the best Zelda along with Ocarina imo.
I did mention it earlier. Wind Waker got a lot of shit but I even enjoyed it when it came out in gamecube. Great game.

I think it is hard to appreciate the older Zelda games if you did not play them when they were new. I loved Link to the Past when I played it on my SNES back in the early 1990's. I boot it up every now and then for nostalgia, but I definitely don't have the time or patience I did back then for playing video games from that era. Don't get me wrong it's still fun. It's just not going to be anything special like it was when it first came out in my opinion.  I am saying this and I still consider a Link to the Past as my personal favorite Zelda game. 

Ocarina of Time is another game that was pretty amazing for it's time and is still fun to play as well. It has not aged all that well visually though like pretty much the entire N64 library of games.  I think the same could be said for Play Station 1 games as well.  

I am pretty much of the opinion just play ToTK since it is the newest game in the series and there is no strong connected story between any of the Zelda games other than the basic plot of a hero on a quest to save the world from some catastrophe. There is dungeon clearing and puzzle solving. Now there is open world elements which makes it like a Nintendo version of Skyrim to me. 

Too much water slow boat travel were the only complaints I had seen and that was fixed in the ports.
Did they improve the figurine collection in the ports? That was also a pain. IIRC, you unlocked that too far into the story to want to go back to get pictures of everything, plus the limit on the number of pictures the camera could hold and having to advance time to speed through the creation of each individual figurine.

TotK
A Link to the Past

Link's Awakening

Ocarina of Time

Hyrule Warriors

Majora's Mask

BotW

Wind Waker
As noted you can pretty much start anywhere. Personally, I'd probably suggest to a new player...

BotW -> Hyrule Warriors Age of Calamity -> TotK -> Wind Waker

Or ...

Wind Waker -> BotW -> Hyrule Warriors Age of Calamity -> TotK

I'd say BotW first because of the opening of that game and the wonder of exploration reminded me the most of the original LoZ. Hyrule Warriors Age of Calamity is a sort of prequel/sequel (at the same time) to BotW but being a Warriors game is more action driven. But it's still a hell of a great experience. I wouldn't even bother with the original Hyrule Warriors until you've played through a lot of the other games because it's more of a separate thing that ties in characters from the franchise, where as Age of Calamity is firmly in the Breath of the Wild world with it's characters and legends.

Wind Waker gets criticized for the sailing but I feel like that's folks that didn't really play the game with any sense of fully experiencing it because you get the ability to skip a lot of the sailing if you want. But it's a really great experience from beginning to end.

OoT is legendary but I've honestly never made it through that game and I paid the big $$ for it when it came out on N64 (and still have the receipt in the box). The 3D is pretty early days and camera is often frustrating. I have the 3DS version too (and the ports on the GC on the Zelda collection and the master quest compilation).. but haven't put time in with the 3DS version to see if maybe it's more palatable. MM is a bit different an experience in the zelda franchise because there's a clock and time element. I'm not saying don't play them, but expectations need to be low. ALTTP and Link's Awakening are both amazing. Minish Cap is as well. Plus there's the Oracle of Ages/Seasons. The 2D Zelda's are worth playing including the original two.

Why not play the Zelda games the year they were released? OOT used be my favorite of all time but Breath of the Wild surpassed it. BOTW and TOTK are different than previous Zelda titles so playing BOTW and then OOT or any other previous Zelda game might be too jarring. I'd personally recommend OOT as the first one to play but ALTTP is also a good start. I think that A Link Between Worlds is a better game but that is not an option since it's only on 3DS.

There are a lot of opinions here, hard to really argue against much but I will say if you play TotK before BotW, you should probably skip BotW. Part of what makes TotK so amazing and expansive is how much they added to BotW. It doesn't seem like much but the more you play the more the additional places are revealed. The massive size of BotW will seem smaller and less impressive if you start with TotK and the abilities in BotW will feel limiting compared to TotK.

So. If you already own BotW, play it before TotK but don't feel the need to linger and track down every side quest. If you play TotK first, I'd recommend skipping BotW.

I agree with a lot of what others are saying here.  

I would say that BotW should be the first to play.  TotK is terrific, but it builds on so much of what was great about BotW.   Personally, I wouldn't want to miss out on BotW, just because it was such an amazing game on it's own.  

Did they improve the figurine collection in the ports? That was also a pain. IIRC, you unlocked that too far into the story to want to go back to get pictures of everything, plus the limit on the number of pictures the camera could hold and having to advance time to speed through the creation of each individual figurine.
I don't know. I didn't play any of the ported versions.

Internet's going crazy with Bobby Kotick saying the Switch successor power wise going to be on par with 8th generation (XBox One and PS4), which if they're doing a portable/home console hybrid that...isn't bad at all. Like Steam Deck is slightly below PS4 in terms of performance of PS4 ports and people are totally fine with that. It's just what it'll be like docked that I'm curious about.

I've never imported a Switch game before. Any of you guys know if the version of Chocobo Racing being sold on PlayAsia can be played online in NA and if it has all the content of the digital version? $20 doesn't seem too bad.

Internet's going crazy with Bobby Kotick saying the Switch successor power wise going to be on par with 8th generation (XBox One and PS4), which if they're doing a portable/home console hybrid that...isn't bad at all. Like Steam Deck is slightly below PS4 in terms of performance of PS4 ports and people are totally fine with that. It's just what it'll be like docked that I'm curious about.
It's good for those who primarily use the Switch as a handheld. It's underwhelming for those of us who leave ours docked and only play it on a TV.

He didn’t tho and even if he did ps4 power is tons of overhead given Nintendo franchise general art styles

It's good for those who primarily use the Switch as a handheld. It's underwhelming for those of us who leave ours docked and only play it on a TV.
Yeah, meant to say PS4 level power on portable is more than efficient, but on docked...well, I think best we can hope for is something on par with PS4 Pro then I guess. With Nintendo art design I guess it won't be too bad, but then allot of first party have begun feeling some of the limitations in the last two years or so.

TheLegendofTyler gave an honorable mention for Wind Waker. I'll start with TotK and move on to A Link to the Past to help avoid open world burnout. Looks like I'll be starting a NSO Expansion Pack 'Family' Soon. Again, thanks to everyone for the input!

So maybe my playlist should go like this:

TotK

A Link to the Past

Link's Awakening

Ocarina of Time

Hyrule Warriors

Majora's Mask

BotW

Wind Waker
I would strongly advise if you are going to play BotW, do it before TotK. Will be hard to go back to breath after playing tears.

This looks surprisingly fun to me hut I'm sure it will disappoint.

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1674055323139670016?s=19
It does look really fun. Seems to have that Rayman Origins/Legends type gameplay, which we will probably never see another in that series - so it might be the closest we get.

It is apparently being made by the company that did the new Battletoads game on XBox and that was really good and had solid, responsive gameplay.

The Pikmin 4 demo is a blast. The only time I've ever played the series before this was on a GC kiosk at Kmart a long time ago. I might pick this one up.

Children are definitely more tech savvy since they are born around that stuff whereas when I was in school we just started using computers for school work.

I can type 44 words a minute. Kids average in the hundreds.

Was it hard to do? The WiiU discs are horrible. I’ve had a few go bad on me already.
Yeah wiiu disc's suck. It's a shame that the switch didn't have bc as if it did then it probably would be able to read them better similar to the gc on the wii and the wii for the wiiu.

Streaming some Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective if you want to see it in action.

Edit: Here's the archive. Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective still holds up very well and is well worth checking out if you're into puzzle adventure games.

Children are definitely more tech savvy since they are born around that stuff whereas when I was in school we just started using computers for school work.

I can type 44 words a minute. Kids average in the hundreds.
Yeah no. My wife teaches technology K-6 and 90% of the kids have never even used an actual keyboard or a mouse. They only use tablets or phones at home and it takes weeks just for them to be able to log in on their own. I don't think you realize how fast typing in the hundreds is and "kids" definitely don't average that.

Unfortunately, yea. My niece is the same age and she didn't even know wired mice are a thing. They've apparently lost like 3+ wireless mice dongles. So we asked if they had a wired one or a bluetooth one, and... yea. Basically blank stare. There's a few streamers I've seen type 120-140 wpm, but that's about it. (I max out around 105 so I have no idea how they do 140.)

Yeah no. My wife teaches technology K-6 and 90% of the kids have never even used an actual keyboard or a mouse. They only use tablets or phones at home and it takes weeks just for them to be able to log in on their own. I don't think you realize how fast typing in the hundreds is and "kids" definitely don't average that.
Yes! We tried to get our kids to learn to type via typing club and it just didn’t take. Watching either of them try and type is painful for me, they are just so slow.

Holy shit, yes

mavis_beacon2_screenshot1.jpg

bread's done
Back