Nintendo eShop Deals and Discussions

psunami

CAGiversary!
Feedback
48 (100%)
Thanks to Frisky for all of the hard work that he put in for the previous deals threads (and continues to on this thread!)

Feel free to post here about the newest Nintendo eShop deals, My Nintendo rewards and discussions about the previously mentioned items.

Nintendo Sales and Deals page

Last edited:
I’m partial to Nintendo Switch Advance. But after the Wii U, I bet Nintendo is terrified of using the Switch name again. They want this thing to be seen as the Switch successor and not to be confused for an add-on or hardware revision. Can’t really blame them- their record with “sequel” consoles is mixed at best. Obviously the Game Boy line was immensely successful, but then the Wii U was a complete disaster. The 3DS had a lot of trouble in the beginning, and the Super Nintendo didn’t surpass Genesis sales until the end of that console generation.

Either way, they just got to make this thing backward compatible and they’ll be golden. Then rerelease all their big Switch games cheap under a new Nintendo Selects label with a big “Plays great on Switch 2 sticker” on the front of each case. Bing bang boom, huge stream of passive profits as the Switch successor builds its install base and slowly grows its own library of games.

Last edited by a moderator:
Switch 2 is fine... but as long as the new one lets us use our cartridges and digital games from the current Switch... I'm interested.
I really wouldn’t count on this. Sounds like 3rd parties are pushing hard for no back compat. And I don’t see what Nintendo stands to gain when they can just repackage all of these first party games for $50 and everyone will buy them.

I will be shocked if there is free back compat.

Nintendo has such a weird history of both supporting and not supporting backwards compatibility that it's truly a 50/50 guess.

I really wouldn’t count on this. Sounds like 3rd parties are pushing hard for no back compat. And I don’t see what Nintendo stands to gain when they can just repackage all of these first party games for $50 and everyone will buy them.

I will be shocked if there is free back compat.
Sure third parties want to repackage and resell their games over but they do this even when there is BC with the previous gen. Just look at the library of the PS5... or go back to the PS3 and see how many PS2 games got HD collections and ports.

It was different with the Wii-U to Switch because the Wii-U sold terribly. So there weren't many gamers to piss off and it allowed Nintendo to recoup money on games developed that had low sales as a result. Now Switch is currently third on the list of most sold systems of all time and could end up the top selling system before the dust settles (it's going to be close). I think it's more likely that they pretty much have to provide BC much like the DS to DSi and 3DS. Or the GB to GBC and then to GBA. And GBA to DS & DS Lite. Or even like the GC to Wii... and Wii to Wii-U. The Wii-U to Switch was a complete format change and really the best scenario for them to drop BC for the first time since the N64 to GC format change or on their handhelds for the first time ever.

I would be pretty shocked if they just opted to skip BC completely. Especially if they are putting the tech in for AI scaling which will do wonders with the regular Switch games that have the ability to go higher res than 1080p but don't have the assets to look as good on their own.

If they don't do BC then it's going to have a slow adoption rate. Much like the PS4 had when it became the first PS system to drop BC at launch. Slow sales leads to lower third party support which leads us backwards. It makes no sense for Nintendo to go this route.

But this will be the core point for me when the time comes. No BC means I can probably wait a couple years before bothering.

Wíi U backwards compatibility on Switch would have been impossible, but aside from that in recent history (last 20 years) gamecube worked on Wii and Wii worked on wii U. GBA worked on DS, DS worked on 3DS. I think with the next switch being somewhat similar to the switch it makes sense for there to be backwards compatibility. Nintendo seems to try to at least bring the prior system with it to the next one.

The story about Switch 2 I read said how they were playing a "souped up" version of Breath of the Wild on it. Hopefully this means it is backward compatible and will also take a page from Xbox and all of the Switch games will get a performance boost on the new console. Maybe I can finish Bravely Default II without seeing the screen trying to tear in half all of the time!

To be honest I would rather the cartridges be larger for the Super Switch and be easier to install. Something like the GBA would be perfect and they were so easy to slide in and out. If this means sacrificing BC then so be it but I'm sure an adapter could be sold by Nintendo for $29.99 that would allow switch games to work as well. Honestly I can't see nintendo doing this though they will take the cheaper easier route by keeping the same cartridges and at architecture so BC will be cheaper at this point I'm guessing than not.

Nintendo has such a weird history of both supporting and not supporting backwards compatibility that it's truly a 50/50 guess.
Yeah but that mainly depends on what media. Like obviously a gc couldn't have n64 support. At least not without a peripheral add on like how they did the gba player thing for Pokémon gen 3.

All the Nintendo hand held systems had bc but they all used cart based media. Had they ever switched to umd sp? Like the psp it could have been a different story.

Wii og had gc support and wiiu had wii support (though wiiu was basically a wii).

Speaking of which psa that any disc's you have trouble reading use these on bc systems and generally it works even for gc stuff that won't even pop up on the gamecube as a disc inserted.

To be honest I would rather the cartridges be larger for the Super Switch and be easier to install. Something like the GBA would be perfect and they were so easy to slide in and out. If this means sacrificing BC then so be it but I'm sure an adapter could be sold by Nintendo for $29.99 that would allow switch games to work as well. Honestly I can't see nintendo doing this though they will take the cheaper easier route by keeping the same cartridges and at architecture so BC will be cheaper at this point I'm guessing than not.
Given the size they could just either do a ds lite and have 2 slots or do a gba and just make the new carts longer.

Wish I was as comfortable as some of y’all about BC. Just because they’ve done things in a certain way for 20 years doesn’t mean it’s going to continue. The entire industry is changing and things that have never been done are being done in the name of greed. 

Don’t forget this isn’t the same people running Nintendo. Current President is much more of a businessman/spreadsheet guy than in the past. 

And anyone saying the adoption rate will be low is nuts. The switch is going to end up as the second most sold console in history. People are clamoring for a new switch to play these games at better quality. It will sell gangbusters regardless. And people will repurchase these games like BOTW if required. 

Legit hope I’m wrong. 

Nintendo has always been ruthless in their business practices, none of this is new.  They were the late 80s monopoly poster child after Ma Bell was tackled.

Wish I was as comfortable as some of y’all about BC. Just because they’ve done things in a certain way for 20 years doesn’t mean it’s going to continue. The entire industry is changing and things that have never been done are being done in the name of greed.

Don’t forget this isn’t the same people running Nintendo. Current President is much more of a businessman/spreadsheet guy than in the past.

And anyone saying the adoption rate will be low is nuts. The switch is going to end up as the second most sold console in history. People are clamoring for a new switch to play these games at better quality. It will sell gangbusters regardless. And people will repurchase these games like BOTW if required.

Legit hope I’m wrong.
Yeah, the Iwata days are over. Under the current president Furukawa, we've gotten paid online, lazy and overpriced Gamecube/Wii/Wii U ports (not all of them, but many of them), no Virtual Console, no Selects line, an unwillingness to truly fix Joy-Con drift, and a $70 Tears of the Kingdom (excellent game, but almost no game nowadays is worth this new $70 price tag). The developers at Nintendo are still releasing banger after banger and being a Nintendo fan continues to be a lot easier than being a Playstation or Xbox fan, but it's clear the leadership mindset has changed. Not seeing Iwata and Reggie in Nintendo Directs just makes it feel like a different, less-friendly company.

Physical BC on the Switch was indeed impossible (no room for a disc drive) and most people are perfectly fine with it being missing, but Furukawa has seen that the Switch has sold just fine without it, so he could interpret that the mean the Switch 2 doesn't need BC to sell. And honestly, he's right; it'll fly off the shelves no matter what. I could see Nintendo releasing Switch 2 versions of BotW, Odyssey, Xenoblade 2, and all their other mega-best sellers. I could also see Nintendo making Switch 2 completely backwards compatible, since they do have a history of it and Furukawa could be swayed into allowing it. He could still greenlight the enhanced ports of Switch games, knowing people will buy them, and maybe we'll have what PS5 does where if you have a PS4 copy of a game, you can upgrade to PS5 for free. With Nintendo, this stuff is always up in the air, but fears of no or limited BC for Switch 2 are extremely valid, given the current leadership at Nintendo.

Obviously too late but what if they could have included a wiiu disc drive in the dock for the switch? Not a great solution but it would have been something I suppose.

As I said before though the biggest thing is what type of media they are going to use for the next console. Though it wouldn't kill them to include a switch cart slot imo.

Obviously too late but what if they could have included a wiiu disc drive in the dock for the switch? Not a great solution but it would have been something I suppose.

As I said before though the biggest thing is what type of media they are going to use for the next console. Though it wouldn't kill them to include a switch cart slot imo.
WiiU disc would make it bigger.

If they really wanted to, they could make the switch card slot an optional accessory via usbc and you can install games if speed matters.

Keep costs low and avail to people who really want it.

WiiU disc would make it bigger.

If they really wanted to, they could make the switch card slot an optional accessory via usbc and you can install games if speed matters.

Keep costs low and avail to people who really want it.
It would make the dock bigger. And I doubt that anyone would care. It would be a plus to me since the dock always falls over.

Having a WiiU disc drive addon or other option would have been interesting, but it also would have been kind of odd given the dual screen setup required by games.  Not sure they could have pulled that off right with a single screen and definitely not with the installing of games to the internal storage which many games would require the entire internal storage of the switch.  Plus they would have had to charge a lot more.

But more important than the technical factors there were maybe a dozen or so exclusives really worth it on the Wii-U and a very small userbase.  So pushing the wii-u disc option to switch would have made no sense as there just wasn't the content volume to make it worth it or the fanbase that would be outraged by lack of BC.  It was better to distance themselves from the failure system, opt to end the DS line with the 3DS... and combine both handheld and console into one system and port over the games that would likely sell.  Which at this point there are only a few games left that might have enough demand, Xenoblade Chronicles X (being the main exclusive left) along with the updated ports of Zelda Wind Waker HD and Zelda Twilight Princess HD .

A hour video? I’m good with some text based bullet points. Do people actually have time to listen to someone blather on for an hour on something that could be summarized with a few bullet points?
I listened. I do actually have time. Played MLB The Show as they talked. The BOTW demo showed off improved load times. He kept hearing March but wasn't sure what that meant. Matrix demo looked and ran great. Someone else can sum it up better if they want.

A hour video? I’m good with some text based bullet points. Do people actually have time to listen to someone blather on for an hour on something that could be summarized with a few bullet points?
This is how I feel abut pretty much most people that cover videogames on youtube. Like I used to get bothered even by the just over 10min (so they can get monetization) gaming news videos that maybe had content that could be covered in around 1min. Which is why I mainly just have a bookmark to mynintendonews.com which I frequent maybe a couple times a week and between that and what people post here, I am well informed.

Honestly, the lack of the disc drive isn't the reason Wii U BC didn't happen. It's because Wii U BC wasn't doable at the OS level for the Switch (they are very different pieces of hardware and firmware), which is why the NSO emulators had to be created and Gamecube/Wii/Wii U ports had to be either ported or run in a custom emulator wrapper.

Now, could a Switch 2 be powerful enough to run a official Nintendo version of Dolphin without major work per title? Probably, but I imagine a Wii U emulator would require too much overhead.

(Un)fortunately for Nintendo, there isn't much demand for the Wii U catalog beyond what's already been ported so they may as well just port the few first-party exclusives they have left.

(Un)fortunately for Nintendo, there isn't much demand for the Wii U catalog beyond what's already been ported so they may as well just port the few first-party exclusives they have left.
Yep... and it's mainly just what I named. Xenoblade Chronicles X as the last original major exclusive and then the updated ports of the two zelda games.

Not that I need them, but I would 100% buy them as then I could dump the wii-u once I played through the couple games I have left that I haven't bothered with buying the ports.

Honestly, the lack of the disc drive isn't the reason Wii U BC didn't happen. It's because Wii U BC wasn't doable at the OS level for the Switch (they are very different pieces of hardware and firmware), which is why the NSO emulators had to be created and Gamecube/Wii/Wii U ports had to be either ported or run in a custom emulator wrapper.
Now, could a Switch 2 be powerful enough to run a official Nintendo version of Dolphin without major work per title? Probably, but I imagine a Wii U emulator would require too much overhead.
I don’t want Wii U support on the switch 2. I just want switch support. They’ve gotta make that happen.

Let's face it, the Wii U failure was a godsend for the Switch. A huge portion of the first party Switch games I own are Wii U ports and it doesn't bother me in the least because I was never going to have a Wii U. If I had to guess, having to change Zelda development mid-stream taught them they could do good ports relatively easily and they just rolled with it from there. The Wii U died so that the Switch could thrive, if you think about the Switch first party library without those ports, it's honestly kinda sad.

Also remember the Switch is Nintendo's handheld system now, and they've always pushed backwards compatibility in their handhelds as much as they could. So I'll be real surprised if there isn't at least a Switch card slot on the inevitable successor, if not a continuation of exactly the same interface, it's not like there's any good reason to change it now.

What I'd love to see (but will never happen) is for whatever dock the Switch 2 uses also work for the original Switch and make it perform better, ideally being sold as a standalone device also.

Why would the next gen switch need a different cart?
Doesn't Nintendo already have 64 GB carts for Switch that publishers avoid like the plague due to the cost? I can't imagine too many games on this new Switch are going to fit on the smaller carts without an additional download. Nintendo might have to fix this by changing the carts completely.

Doesn't Nintendo already have 64 GB carts for Switch that publishers avoid like the plague due to the cost? I can't imagine too many games on this new Switch are going to fit on the smaller carts without an additional download. Nintendo might have to fix this by changing the carts completely.
I mean bigger physically. With microsd cards hitting 1TB in its current form factor, I don’t see why Nintendo can’t make the current physical sized carts 128 or even 256 gb.

Currently they charge publishers based on storage size. I’m assuming they could do the same with 32/64/128/256 for the Switch 2.

I’m just asking why can’t they just keep the same form factor and therefore just have one cart slot for the Switch 2.

bread's done
Back