Nintendo eShop Deals and Discussions

psunami

CAGiversary!
Feedback
48 (100%)
Thanks to Frisky for all of the hard work that he put in for the previous deals threads (and continues to on this thread!)

Feel free to post here about the newest Nintendo eShop deals, My Nintendo rewards and discussions about the previously mentioned items.

Nintendo Sales and Deals page

Last edited:
I had zero interest in Tomodachi Life... but after making Lupin III characters in the switch Miitopia demo I have come around to realize just how much fun and comedy can come from the games that use Miis.   Also I grabbed one of the R2D2 Tamagotchi nano's and had some fun with it for a few weeks of seeing how it evolved and playing the various minigames.    So I might be interested if they did a switch version of Tomodachi Life.

The dpad is pretty fantastic. I felt more in control with it than the pro controller dpad.
No first party company has bothered making a good d-pad since the Saturn. Like, I get it, 3D gaming took over and the d-pad became a bit of an afterthought, but that doesn’t mean you have to replace the already great d-pads we had in the early nineties with worse versions. Just copy what already worked well. Sony and Microsoft at least had the excuse that they didn’t technically own a good d-pad design (though it wouldn’t have taken much effort, time, or money to make a legally distinct variation on somebody else’s design), but I have no idea what Nintendo was thinking when they gave up on the SNES d-pad design. Literally sitting on the second best d-pad anybody’s ever made, and Ninty’s like, nah, we want something worse for all our future consoles.

Last edited by a moderator:
and Ninty’s like, nah, we want something worse for our all our future consoles.
They made the joycons super functional for multiple uses, so I'm not really as bothered by the experimentation and changes with controllers over the years. As long as nitnendo does something like an SNES controller... I'm pretty happy for the few specific games I want a really good dpad for. And though the SNES controller is better than the Pro for dpad input, I don't really have any serious beef with the pro controller. It's a pretty fantastic controller. Same for the Wii-U Pro and GC Wavebird. I just hope whatever they do next, maybe we can get analog triggers back and that they make good BC with the Switch controllers (and still let us use the GC adapter).

I am fine with the joy con but Nintendo should have made their own left joy con with an integrated d-pad. I recommend the HORI D-Pad Controller.

Starting soon

https://twitter.com/IndieWorldNA/status/1724064578110173627

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLgXk2xy79c

Summary

I was just about to mention that I bit the bullet and bought a Game on my wishlist (One-Way Ticket) that had never gone on sale before.. and apparently it got delisted shortly after I bought the damn thing. Guess I got it just in time.

I'm streaming some Backpack Hero if you want to see it in action. The Itch.io page has a demo you can play in your browser if that works best for you.

Edit: Here's the archive. I'm liking it a lot so far as one of these roguelite games that doesn't make the dungeon runs that hard in the early going. You can get your feet under you as you learn the mechanics and the ins and outs of the combat and inventory system with it punishing you much on that. The game is centered around this magical backpack that lets you expand it a few slots per level up to give you more room to contain your items, weapons, and armor that also becomes your combat options for fights. You'll have to pay attention to the details on each item's card to catch when they get bonuses or docked stats for being placed next to other items that leads to some interesting ways to spec your character during a run. There are plenty of side stuff, merchants, and other events happening in the dungeons as you try to get as much worthwhile loot back to the town.

In the town, you're rebuilding this rundown village to its former glory as you sell loot for materials to erect new buildings to bring more people to the town and fulfill quests villagers have for you. That part of the game is just starting to expand as I get more runs in, especially with some of the quests giving me new runs I can take on with unique starting loadouts to spice things up a bit. I'm looking forward to putting more time into this, as it seems like a good game for some short sessions as you've got a show or movie on your TV or whatever.

This is sort of, no, totally off topic, but anyone on here play Tomodachi Life on the 3DS? ...

...Sorry if that was gibberish to anyone, but I'm just really curious if anyone else here has played it. I'd love a sequel on Switch (or Switch 2), and judging by how active the subreddit for the game still is, I'm not alone. It's a great example of the crazier, more unique stuff Nintendo creates that sets them apart from a lot of other AAA developers. Tomodachi Life could really become as successful as Animal Crossing has if they make a new entry and market it well. It's a perfect casual game you can check in on every day and find something to talk about with others.
That was maybe one of the earliest titles I can remember on a Nintendo platform that I said "digital only", even though I had Best Buy's 20% GCU discount for physical games. That VERY weird Direct did sell me on it, and yeah, fell in love with the game. The traveling thing was interesting to see, and seeing where the kids would go. Though...one of them got stuck in an airport in Europe I think. Wished there was a way to recall your kids in cases like those. Would like to see a proper followup to it.

Just finished Mario Wonder. What a fantastic game. I almost loved the music more than the gameplay and stages.
I decided to play Super Mario World 1 & 2 after finishing wonder. With all the modern enhancements, wonder is a better game in all technical ways, but I don’t like the art style or graphics as much as what, 30 year old games at this point? I don’t think it’s just nostalgia or liking pixel art, I’m not really inclined to pixel art, but some modern 2D games just look like clip art to me for some reason. Mario wonder less so than the new super Mario series at least. I liked the very first map area of wonder the best, with the more pastel type art, then they dropped that for the rest of the game. I’d say the music for wonder was a good fit for the game, and its areas, but it’s not melodic like Donkey Kong Country or Yoshi’s Woolly world from something more modern. I can’t remember a single track. I really enjoyed wonder, but I guess the art and music just didn’t stand out to me as other games have. The story felt bland and shoehorned in. Story is usually just “there” in a Mario game, this is the first that it detracted from the game for me, with how bizarrely boring it was. Boss fights were good, but why just Bowser Jr reused, and not the Koopa kids? And why make Bowser a castle, then do almost nothing with the unique gameplay opportunities that could have presented. Control options are also a step back and simplification from the previous 2D Mario’s.

Really, just complaining that a diamond wasn’t polished enough overall though. It was still a great game, with the wonder transformations being the highlight for me.

Honestly, the NSMB artstyle looked pretty good, it was just a little generic and extremely overused. Since I only ever played the first game (and that only occasionally), I didn’t really tire of it, but as many games shared that artstyle, even outside the NSMB series, I totally get why people got tired of it.

I know that a lot of names in the game are gonna be changed; my only concern is just how much of the game is different now. A decent amount of the charm of the original game was from the script and dialogue.

To protect the innocent.
22667759.gif

I know that a lot of names in the game are gonna be changed; my only concern is just how much of the game is different now. A decent amount of the charm of the original game was from the script and dialogue.
A lot of the charm was also the original art. I can always just play this on my SNES Classic (or emulated any number of other ways)... though I'll probably grab a copy from gamefly or wherever it ends up $30 first.

A lot of the charm was also the original art. I can always just play this on my SNES Classic (or emulated any number of other ways)... though I'll probably grab a copy from gamefly or wherever it ends up $30 first.
I agree, the remake looks very nice, but there's a special kind of charm in 16 bit sprites and art styles that can't be replaced. I have it on the Wii Virtual Console, so I'm in no big hurry to get the remake, unless it hits like $30-40.

Correct, because the Chinese government cares about the updated English translation of a remake of a 90's Nintendo RPG. I'm surprised we've all survived this long without serious retaliation from them.

Correct, because the Chinese government cares about the updated English translation of a remake of a 90's Nintendo RPG. I'm surprised we've all survived this long without serious retaliation from them.
You’re right, just a coincidence, and not Nintendo preemptively trying not to offend the notoriously censorial CCP in order to eventually get access to that sweet, sweet Chinese market.

Some people on Amazon are bringing Mario RPG's average down because they bought it without knowing what an RPG is.

Some people on Amazon are bringing Mario RPG's average down because they bought it without knowing what an RPG is.
Going to mark these as helpful

You’re right, just a coincidence, and not Nintendo preemptively trying not to offend the notoriously censorial CCP in order to eventually get access to that sweet, sweet Chinese market.
Praying for Vivian :pray:

Portal Companion Collection down to $6.79. Grabbing that for on the go!

Does Cruis’n Blast ever go on sale?

Portal Companion Collection down to $6.79. Grabbing that for on the go!

Does Cruis’n Blast ever go on sale?
Deku deals shows it went down to $20 this past January https://www.dekudeals.com/items/cruisn-blast and it's $20 for the physical copy at bestbuy right now https://www.bestbuy.com/site/cruisn-blast-nintendo-switch/6469794.p?skuId=6469794

I got it last year for $15 from bestbuy when it was on sale for $20 and I had a $5 cert. Game is super fun if you like arcade racers.

Deku deals shows it went down to $20 this past January https://www.dekudeals.com/items/cruisn-blast and it's $20 for the physical copy at bestbuy right now https://www.bestbuy.com/site/cruisn-blast-nintendo-switch/6469794.p?skuId=6469794

I got it last year for $15 from bestbuy when it was on sale for $20 and I had a $5 cert. Game is super fun if you like arcade racers.
Awesome. Thanks! I didn’t know about the BB deal. Just figured it would probably be in the Nintendo sale but nope..

Target has the cheaper Nintendo game codes on sale to get full gold coins as if you spent $60 on them:

$29.99 Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

$19.99 Everybody 1-2 Switch!

$29.99 Fire Emblem Warriors: Three Hopes

$29.99 Kirby's Return to Dream Land Deluxe

$29.99 Mario Strikers: Battle League

Also codes for NSO 12 month plans:

12 Month NSO basic plan is 10% off at $17.99

12 Month NSO basic family plan is 10% off at $31.49

12 Month NSO + Expansion Pack plan is 10% off at $44.89

12 Month NSO + Expansion Pack family plan is 10% off at $71.98

Yea, how worthless on the Nintendo memberships at Target - "For NEW members; cannot be added to an existing Nintendo Switch Online membership" !

Target has the cheaper Nintendo game codes on sale to get full gold coins as if you spent $60 on them:

$29.99 Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
$19.99 Everybody 1-2 Switch!
$29.99 Fire Emblem Warriors: Three Hopes
$29.99 Kirby's Return to Dream Land Deluxe
$29.99 Mario Strikers: Battle League

Also codes for NSO 12 month plans:

12 Month NSO basic plan is 10% off at $17.99
12 Month NSO basic family plan is 10% off at $31.49
12 Month NSO + Expansion Pack plan is 10% off at $44.89
12 Month NSO + Expansion Pack family plan is 10% off at $71.98
Amazon has some of these as well.

Not sure why.

I bought a 12 month one the other day (online) at $17.99 at Target and it added 12 months to my membership.

Nope. Only Microsoft allows that.

And Steam, since you can use Steam wallet funds to buy a Steam Deck.

Thanks for the info, the Nintendo Store has some hard to find titles like 'Kirby and the Forgotten Kingdom' and 'Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition' on sale both as physical and digital and was hoping I could get some discounted cards to save a bit more on the deal, but sadly...

Ended up grabbing Persona 5 Royal so far. Have heard many great things about the game. Played maybe 30 min on Xbox and thought it looked good and loved the music. Figured I'd have a better chance of getting more playtime with it on Switch though. Hope I enjoy it as much as everyone else has.

bread's done
Back