Nintendo Finally Brings "Player's Choice" to GBA

mugenmidget

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
As posted at Games Are Fun (http://www.gamesarefun.com/news.php?newsid=6111), Nintendo is finally officially making some games Player's Choice for national retail at $19.99.

"On April 2, Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga, Super Mario Advance: Super Mario Bros. 2, and Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3 will become the first Player's Choice titles and will retail for $19.99, instead of the usual $29.99 price. "

While this isn't such a great deal considering the age of the games, it might get a little sweeter if you consider that they're eligible for the GGC coupon. If anything, Yoshi's Island is a pretty good buy at that price.

Thank you for the info, but imo that's STILL too much to pay for a game that was originally released 10-20 years ago.

Its been discussed on the Nintendo Section of this board, but I for one think its great... i can finally pick up a boxed copy of Mario and Luigi to complete my Super Mario RPG collection.

Yay!

I've already got all but Yoshi's Island, but at least I can pick up a new copy of it for $20 or so, instead of a used one.

Apr. 2 I can finally get Yoshi's Island for GBA, new. I hope they put Advance Wars and Golden Sun as Player's Choice also. It would be nice to get these early titles new instead of cart only at most GS/EB or face possible bootlegs online. I don't mind even if they made the boxart with the yellow banner and the best seller sticker on it!

That's only a $10 drop from the original price. The GC Player's Choice titles dropped by $30.

[quote name='E-Z-B']That's only a $10 drop from the original price. The GC Player's Choice titles dropped by $30.[/QUOTE]

It might be because cartridges could be more expensive to produce, although I agree with the Games Are Fun article and believe that the drop should have been to 15 dollars.

But with the GGC, dreams come true. :p

[quote name='anotherpoorgamer']Apr. 2 I can finally get Yoshi's Island for GBA, new. I hope they put Advance Wars and Golden Sun as Player's Choice also. It would be nice to get these early titles new instead of cart only at most GS/EB or face possible bootlegs online. I don't mind even if they made the boxart with the yellow banner and the best seller sticker on it![/QUOTE]

I don't think either of those games or their sequels are even in production anymore. Most have been liquidated and could have been found marked down for about $10 apiece.

Mario Bros. 3 may as well be added, throw in LttP, Minish Cap, and the DK series.

^I know I saw Mario and Luigi for 10 as well as Zelda Lttp at Sears, but didn't have enough money. :( I haven't seen the first Advance Wars and Golden Sun.

Man, I'm usually big on not having stupid "Player's Choice" or "Greatest Hits" logos on my package, but if they brought back that little gold medal they used to put on SNES/GB games the nostalgia factor alone would make me cry with joy.

That's cool since I haven't seen Superstar Saga in a while. What's kind of odd though is that it's taken this long when Nintendo was more or less doing this back on the original Gameboy before it became such common place.

I think its really lame that they just skipped over Super Mario World in doing this. Why not just make all the Super Mario Advance this price at once?

I'll probably pick up Mario and Luigi and Yoshi's Island at this price.

I hope they put some games I didn't pick up under this banner, like Golden Sun 2 or the Pokemon games (Especially Emerald.)

I'll pick up Yoshi's Island for sure. I already have super star saga. It's a good deal since OOP gba games are starting to fetch a premium price.

I also hope to see more 2 games in one carts from sega and other companies.

I'm not picking up anymore NES or SNES ports I'd rather get them on the Virtual Console. :)

Can you please make Pokemon FireRed/LeafGreen $20 bucks Nintendo? I know it's sold a ton... I've waited so long now I can't justify dropping $35 on it anymore. (Sees hell freezing over before that happens.)

Hopefully Player's Choice happens with DS titles as well.

[quote name='JasonTerminator']I'll probably pick up Mario and Luigi and Yoshi's Island at this price.

I hope they put some games I didn't pick up under this banner, like Golden Sun 2 or the Pokemon games (Especially Emerald.)[/quote]

Ditto. I haven't picked up either yet, and am pretty excited about this. I might hold of on Yoshi's Island, since it will probably be avalible on the Revolution's VC.

[quote name='mugenmidget']It might be because cartridges could be more expensive to produce, although I agree with the Games Are Fun article and believe that the drop should have been to 15 dollars.[/QUOTE]

Actually, GAF didn't post that; I did. Shigeta is my username on GAF. Most of these titles are $20 already at most stores, and they have been released for YEARS, not months. $20 is a ridiculous price to pay at this point IMO.

Straying a bit from the OP, I can't understand why Super Smash Bros. Melee is still $30. That should be a $20 title by now.

[quote name='E-Z-B']Straying a bit from the OP, I can't understand why Super Smash Bros. Melee is still $30. That should be a $20 title by now.[/QUOTE]

It's the same reasoning as to why Halo 1 stayed at $30 for a long ass time: It's a popular game, and people will buy it at the $30 price anyway.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Actually, GAF didn't post that; I did. Shigeta is my username on GAF. Most of these titles are $20 already at most stores, and they have been released for YEARS, not months. $20 is a ridiculous price to pay at this point IMO.[/QUOTE]
But how many portable games have a universal (non-clearance/sale) price of under $20? Whereas a $30 reduced price for GH/PH/PC games (from $50 to $20) makes sense since almost every console game eventually sells for $20.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']It's the same reasoning as to why Halo 1 stayed at $30 for a long ass time: It's a popular game, and people will buy it at the $30 price anyway.[/QUOTE]

Was it more popular than Super Mario Sunshine, Metroid Prime 1 & 2, LOZ: WW, etc? I don't know why this game stands out more than the other GC games.

Nice, we'll be able to pick these up for $15 at BB using the GGC. I wish the list was a bit longer, where's the WarioWare Microgames and MarioKart Adance?

[quote name='Dead of Knight']It's the same reasoning as to why Halo 1 stayed at $30 for a long ass time: It's a popular game, and people will buy it at the $30 price anyway.[/QUOTE]

Funny you say that, I just did so a couple days ago. lol

[quote name='E-Z-B']Was it more popular than Super Mario Sunshine, Metroid Prime 1 & 2, LOZ: WW, etc? I don't know why this game stands out more than the other GC games.[/QUOTE]
IIRC, it's the top-selling Gamecube game of all-time.

[quote name='botticusand so on. Notice that MK: DD is also $30.[/QUOTE']

Just recently marked down, I didn't think they would ever mark it down.

super smash brothers came out in 2001. same as Halo but halo dropped to 20 in 2005. Now its 2006.. Thats the problem ..... Resolution 20 $ for smash brothers.. Ive waited almost 5 years to get my copy for 20$... J/k but yea its been awhile

[quote name='adidas']super smash brothers came out in 2001. same as Halo but halo dropped to 20 in 2005. Now its 2006.. Thats the problem ..... Resolution 20 $ for smash brothers.. Ive waited almost 5 years to get my copy for 20$... J/k but yea its been awhile[/QUOTE]

Thats too long to wait for 20 bucks. I bought SSBM THREE years ago for $30 when it went to players choice and have cherished every minute playing that game.

$20 is a good price for these games, most GBA games dont tend to ever drop from that 30 mark so im surprised to see Mario and Luigi on the first list.

Also dont forget as CAGs, $20 retail price means even lower prices used in stores and lower prices from fellow traders/ebay

[quote name='E-Z-B']That's only a $10 drop from the original price. The GC Player's Choice titles dropped by $30.[/QUOTE]

You're right. because the GC ones dropped by $30, so should these, to the new price of negative one cent.

[quote name='eldad9']You're right. because the GC ones dropped by $30, so should these, to the new price of negative one cent.[/quote]

:rofl:

I can't find any of the Mario Advance games anymore, outside of Super Mario Bros 3... so for $20, I can see myself taking advantage of this.

[quote name='BackInBlack']Thats too long to wait for 20 bucks. I bought SSBM THREE years ago for $30 when it went to players choice and have cherished every minute playing that game.[/quote]

Same here. But didn't it it become PC 4 years ago? Could have sworn it did, anyway I got it for $30 and subsequently unlocked every character and have played a ton of hours into that game. I pull it out once in awhile just to basque in its glory, not to mention it's a great party game.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']Same here. But didn't it it become PC 4 years ago? Could have sworn it did, anyway I got it for $30 and subsequently unlocked every character and have played a ton of hours into that game. I pull it out once in awhile just to basque in its glory, not to mention it's a great party game.[/QUOTE]
How could it have become PC a few months after the GC launch before PC ever existed? I'm still waiting on it to drop as I have two games much, much better than it already on my GC, Naruto 3 & 4. I can wait to get it for cheap, even if that takes another 10 years.

Because it's not technically PC. There's acctually just what looks like a sticker on the lower right, I believe, that says Best Seller. Nintendo easy way to let you know it's essentially a PC without having to sell it at $20.

Early 2003/Spring was the whole "Buy a Gamecube get a free Nintendo Game Deal". That was also when they started the Player's Choice line. I got my Free Metroid Prime with GC and I got SSBM,Zelda WW,Master Quest.

I am hopeful that Super Mario All-Stars will be the Revolution pack-in. :D
That makes sense since they avoided those with the GBA PC titles. We should all e-mail Nintendo to make Super Mario All-Stars a Revolution pack-in!

Dane.

Melee WAS a Player's Chocie game, and then they went with the new Best Seller packaging for it, which I prefer to the Player's Choice stuff. I'll get Mario and Luigi at this price, and I'm interested in seeing how (and if) they'll change the packaging for GBA PC games.

Edit - There's a shot of the redone packaging on IGN - It's just a yellow bar on top of the cover art; the silver sidebar thing is unchanged.

[quote name='eldad9']You're right. because the GC ones dropped by $30, so should these, to the new price of negative one cent.[/QUOTE]

:roll:

[quote name='Follandboy']Too bad no Super Mario 3. They really should come out with a Super Mario Allstars game for DS[/QUOTE]

All I want is the fucking Mario Bros. remake from the SNES All-Stars... Nintendo really should've brought that out on the GBA at some point.

IGN posted some pictures of the new packaging.

gbagetsplayerschoice2006030907.jpg

My initial reaction was to hope they don't mess with the spines, but I'm eventually going to redo all my GBA games with DS cases anyways so it's a moot point. Can't wait to score Yoshi's Island finally.

I'm happy about this. I was going to pay quite a bit for Super Mario Advance 3. Thankfully, I can now pick it up for $19.99 this April.

I'm not so hot on the 20 dollar thing... 10 dollars would be ideal, 15 dollars would be more reasonable.

I'd like more of these to come out though, seeing as how little I've bought for the GBA (I've had access for the GBA since December of 2001, what do I have to show for it? 6 games, one of them lost and another defining suck). I'll be sure to pick up these 3, as I haven't actually bought any of them.

bread's done
Back