Nintendo played it smart with the VC Controller

Blaine

CAGiversary!
I haven't heard anyone mention anything positive about the Wiimote pricing, so I figure I'll go ahead and point something out that may be overlooked.

Yeah the Wiimote/Nunchuck combo is abit on the pricey side, but that's because we're viewing it as one controller and not two. While I'm the first to admit that perhaps packaging them as such isn't the best idea...

Your VC Controller plugs into a wiimote for it to work. This, is a work of genius and the reason why you'll be able to buy the controller for $18 or so. Instead of adding, basically, redundant hardware into the VCC it just piggybacks onto an existing piece of hardware. You're only paying for the bare minimum hardware.

This bodes really well for other future attachments such as the Zapper (I see no reason why it won't have a similar price) or say a nice arcade joystick.

I think the seperate sales of the Wiimote and Nunchuck is a bad thing - the price is too high - however I also think we'll see a lot more good than bad because of the decision to 'customize' the Wiimote with attachments.

[quote name='Chris in Cali']?[/quote]

The Virtual Console Controller isn't wireless. They made it cheaper by not utilizing a bluetooth module to transmit data.

But instead of plugging it into the Wii, you plug it into a Wiimote... so the VCC uses the Wiimote's wireless functionality for it's own.

So you get an, essentially, wireless controller for the price of a wired one.

[quote name='David85']I agree that's probably the smartest thing Nintendo has done.[/quote]

Yup. Although I wish the wiimote was $34.99. It just looks better on paper and on your bank statement.

It's great that with the wiimote we'll never have to buy another wireless device. I can't wait to seee a Hori Real Arcade Pro for the Wii.

Ok. Some CAG who has access to the BB GGCs needs to send me a big damn shipment of them.

I'm talking like 20 of them.

I thought I read somewhere that you'd be able to use the gamecube controller with the Wii. Is that true? Will it plug into the Wii-mote? If so, that would be cool.

[quote name='jdevlin7756']I thought I read somewhere that you'd be able to use the gamecube controller with the Wii. Is that true? Will it plug into the Wii-mote? If so, that would be cool.[/QUOTE]

No. There's a flap that opens up where you can plug in GC controllers.

I guess theoretically someone could make a sort of adapter to plug them into the Wiimote, but I highly, highly doubt it.

This is why I have 4 Wavebirds set aside exclusively to be put into the Wii.

[quote name='Strell']Ok. Some CAG who has access to the BB GGCs needs to send me a big damn shipment of them.

I'm talking like 20 of them.[/quote]
Hmm.. the only question is how much trouble would it be for me to try to buy 20 GGCs for a penny. Cause I ain't puttin my customary $5 down on that many for ya, Strell. ;)

[quote name='Blaine']The Virtual Console Controller isn't wireless. They made it cheaper by not utilizing a bluetooth module to transmit data.

But instead of plugging it into the Wii, you plug it into a Wiimote... so the VCC uses the Wiimote's wireless functionality for it's own.

So you get an, essentially, wireless controller for the price of a wired one.[/QUOTE]You know, I had been wondering what the point of hooking the VC controller to the Wiimote was. But when you put it that way, it really makes sense!

I'd also like to point out that it's a good thing the VC Controller was NOT included in the main console package. Because unlike Wii Sports, that actually WOULD have contributed to the price. And then people who didn't want to use the VC would complain.

So I'm going to have the VC plugged into the Wiimote, and have what, and 12" cable between the two? Sounds kinda awkward, like the Wiimote would get in the way. I hope they make the cable long enough to set the Wiimote down and out of the way somewhere...

[quote name='keithp']So I'm going to have the VC plugged into the Wiimote, and have what, and 12" cable between the two? Sounds kinda awkward, like the Wiimote would get in the way. I hope they make the cable long enough to set the Wiimote down and out of the way somewhere...[/QUOTE]
Sit it in your lap or next to you?

[quote name='keithp']So I'm going to have the VC plugged into the Wiimote, and have what, and 12" cable between the two? Sounds kinda awkward, like the Wiimote would get in the way. I hope they make the cable long enough to set the Wiimote down and out of the way somewhere...[/QUOTE]

You are understanding that the VC has little gaps on the back of it, which you use to attatch/slot the Wiimote in, right?

I mean there's still going to be a cord hanging around.

I can't tell if you are implying the Wiimote would be, like, dangling or something...

[quote name='Strell']I can't tell if you are implying the Wiimote would be, like, dangling or something...[/quote]

That's just it. The wangmote would just dangle... I think there was a picture of this somewhere in the press kit...

[quote name='magikman']That's just it. The wangmote would just dangle... I think there was a picture of this somewhere in the press kit...[/QUOTE]

Yea but.

It's not going to do that.

That was my point...

No, I'm trying to understand how it'll work, so at this point I don't understand ANYTHING.

I was thinking it would plug in like the Nunchuck attachment, and there'd be a cord between the two.

But I guess you're saying the Wiimote clips into the VC somehow? That's alot better I s'pose.

22072.jpg

It does connect like the nunchuck. But there's those little gaps (they look like a goofy smily face) where the Wiimote will latch on.

There's a short cord still dangling, but I doubt it'll be a big deal. 'Course no way to know for now.

Ok, got it now. Thanks. By the way, Strell, I'm really disappointed in you for not saying the obvious joke about the 12" apparatus dangling between your legs....talk about the easy setup...

I've lost respect for ya.. Err, GAINED respect for you...well, you know! :D

[quote name='keithp']Ok, got it now. Thanks. By the way, Strell, I'm really disappointed in you for not saying the obvious joke about the 12" apparatus dangling between your legs....talk about the easy setup...

I've lost respect for ya.. Err, GAINED respect for you...well, you know! :D[/QUOTE]

Wtf. Only 12?

[quote name='David85']I like them bigger.

What were we talknig about?[/QUOTE]

yes, you're gay. We get it now... :roll:

[quote name='Strell']I guess theoretically someone could make a sort of adapter to plug them into the Wiimote, but I highly, highly doubt it.[/quote]
It's one of those things where it'd be really really easy or it'd be a bitch. There's pretty much no grey area.

Without getting too hardware geek. The GameCube controller is encoded (the actual data stream outputed to the console) pretty much the same as the N64.

Which is to say all actual data about the controller is passed over a single wire, pin #2 on your Cube (red wire).

You have your power and ground and another 5v to run the rumbles. That's it.

If (the big if) Nintendo is using the same basic datastream that was used on the previous 2 consoles (24 bits to the controller, 64 bits back to the console, encoded the same way) then it woudln't take any real hardware to make an adapter.

That is to say just a piece of plastic and some wires.

It'd be easy.

If they've done anything different, then you're looking at having to decode and re-encode the datastream into the new format. That'll need a microcontroller and some programing.

Not easy.

I like your hat.

I have a question about the VC controller not being a pack-in with the system. Will it then be a pack-in along with Smash Bros. Brawl? After all, isn't that game going to be played with the VC controller? If not, I can expect many annoyed kids buying games that their controllers will not work with, and many parents annoyed that they have to buy new controllers.

[quote name='elwood731']I have a question about the VC controller not being a pack-in with the system. Will it then be a pack-in along with Smash Bros. Brawl? After all, isn't that game going to be played with the VC controller? If not, I can expect many annoyed kids buying games that their controllers will not work with, and many parents annoyed that they have to buy new controllers.[/QUOTE]

I heard it can be played with the GC controller and motion controller. So I'm assuming there's two modes.

This leaves to question whether or not the VC is compatible. I'm going to assume it will be.

So I guess that means you have 3 options. Really more like two options - motion or not.

[quote name='SMMM']yes, you're gay. We get it now... :roll:[/quote]
[quote name='Blaine']I like your hat.[/quote]

I like this thread.:D

I just don't think it's smart to market the Wiimote and nunchucku sperately. Some games only use the Wiimote while most use both. If anything, this'll cause frustration with some people (parents, etc.) as they'll only buy the Wiimote.

I just don't like how Nintendo did the pricing on anything.

[quote name='jdevlin7756']I thought I read somewhere that you'd be able to use the gamecube controller with the Wii. Is that true? Will it plug into the Wii-mote? If so, that would be cool.[/QUOTE]

Nintendo has said thus far, the GC ports allow GC controllers to be used on GC games only. I think VC games required the VC controller. I'm not sure how Smash Bros. is going to work.

[quote name='evanft']Are you gonna be able to use a GC controller with the VC?[/QUOTE]
reference the post above yours. We don't know.

Looking at Bazz's thread you can clearly see the port at the bottom of the Wiimote. It appears to be identical to the pin layout on a GameCube port.

6 pins, same configuration.

Considering how much technology is recycled from the GameCube, I'd be a lot more surprised if it used a different datastream than a vanilla GC Controller.

I'm gonna make some predictions:

1) The Wiimote interface utilizes the same technology as the GameCube controller ports.
2) Wiring a GameCube controller to the Wiimote will allow you to use the GameCube controller the same as the VCC controller (you'd have to hardwire it right now by soldering wires to contacts, but some HK firms will be able to produce an adapater).
3) It's probably possible to rewire a Virtual Console Controller to work on a GameCube.

Those are my predictions based on what I think is logical. I could be wrong. Time will tell... but that's what I think to be most probable.

[quote name='Blaine']Looking at Bazz's thread you can clearly see the port at the bottom of the Wiimote. It appears to be identical to the pin layout on a GameCube port.

6 pins, same configuration.

Considering how much technology is recycled from the GameCube, I'd be a lot more surprised if it used a different datastream than a vanilla GC Controller.

I'm gonna make some predictions:

1) The Wiimote interface utilizes the same technology as the GameCube controller ports.
2) Wiring a GameCube controller to the Wiimote will allow you to use the GameCube controller the same as the VCC controller (you'd have to hardwire it right now by soldering wires to contacts, but some HK firms will be able to produce an adapater).
3) It's probably possible to rewire a Virtual Console Controller to work on a GameCube.

Those are my predictions based on what I think is logical. I could be wrong. Time will tell... but that's what I think to be most probable.[/QUOTE]
If that's true, I'd love FPS on my GC a lot more. It's just so much harder with the C-Stick.

[quote name='Strell']Ok. Some CAG who has access to the BB GGCs needs to send me a big damn shipment of them.

I'm talking like 20 of them.[/QUOTE]

I bought five on Thursday, though they were only available at the registers. As I was slapping down my .05, I lamented to the Blue Shirt that they seemed to be disappearing and that the coupon was really great. He rambled on about how there were different GCs and some of them had different coupons and maybe I should look into those. I countered (politely) that while that was true, the GGCs are basically the only ones worth a damn.

Today I went back to use one of those GGCs on Cooking Mama and they had quite a few more out at the registers, so maybe he took me seriously. Like Botticus, I don't think I'd have the balls to buy more than five at a time, though, especially putting .01 a piece on them.

No. There's a flap that opens up where you can plug in GC controllers.

I guess theoretically someone could make a sort of adapter to plug them into the Wiimote, but I highly, highly doubt it.

This is why I have 4 Wavebirds set aside exclusively to be put into the Wii.

Here's the thing that concerns me: From the pictures I have seen, it looks like the WaveBird receiver might have trouble fitting into the ports as they are inset on the Wii. I could very well be wrong. Hope I am.

[quote name='Tybee']GGC Cards + Wii WB Problem
[/QUOTE]

I guess I want to say Nintendo wouldn't be dumb enough to let a thing like that pass, but we'll know soon enough.

As for the GGCs, you people could nickle and dime it every couple days and build up a hefty store to send me. :p

*giggle*

[quote name='Strell']As for the GGCs, you people could nickle and dime it every couple days and build up a hefty store to send me. :p

*giggle*[/QUOTE]

You gonna give me that hat?

[quote name='Tybee']I bought five on Thursday, though they were only available at the registers. As I was slapping down my .05, I lamented to the Blue Shirt that they seemed to be disappearing and that the coupon was really great. He rambled on about how there were different GCs and some of them had different coupons and maybe I should look into those. I countered (politely) that while that was true, the GGCs are basically the only ones worth a damn.

Today I went back to use one of those GGCs on Cooking Mama and they had quite a few more out at the registers, so maybe he took me seriously. Like Botticus, I don't think I'd have the balls to buy more than five at a time, though, especially putting .01 a piece on them.

Here's the thing that concerns me: From the pictures I have seen, it looks like the WaveBird receiver might have trouble fitting into the ports as they are inset on the Wii. I could very well be wrong. Hope I am.[/quote]the flap that covers the ports can go all the way back so as to leave a flat space for the receiver to be placed on, hope that helps

[quote name='Tybee']You gonna give me that hat?[/QUOTE]

That's not going to cover up the fact that you have no face.

The mustache might.

[quote name='maigoyume']the flap that covers the ports can go all the way back so as to leave a flat space for the receiver to be placed on, hope that helps[/QUOTE]
Yup, came across this when looking for something completely unrelated, but here you go.

[quote name='IGN-Matt']Looks to me like Wave Bird receivers will fit just fine in the GCN docking station's controller ports on the Wii hardware. I opened the flap and had a look. It's perfectly flat, so there shouldn't be any problems.[/quote]
http://blogs.ign.com/Matt-IGN/2006/08/25/29138/

That being said, I'm going to be hardpressed to have my slick system with a flap standing open and a hulking prism of grey plastic jammed into the top of it. At least for a while.

I just realized, between 4 wiimotes, 4 nunchucks, 4 gamecube remotes, a virtual console remote, and the system, this tiny little system is going to take up a HELL of a lot of room.;)

[quote name='Brainwave0']I just realized, between 4 wiimotes, 4 nunchucks, 4 gamecube remotes, a virtual console remote, and the system, this tiny little system is going to take up a HELL of a lot of room.;)[/quote]
Luckily I have no use for the drawer in my TV stand (besides GC controllers right now), so those will hopefully fit nicely.

[quote name='Brainwave0']I just realized, between 4 wiimotes, 4 nunchucks, 4 gamecube remotes, a virtual console remote, and the system, this tiny little system is going to take up a HELL of a lot of room.;)[/QUOTE]
Don't forget any other wiimote addons you may get. Steering Wheel, Zapper, giant Final Fantasy sword for FF91. ;)

maigoyume, daroga: Thanks for the clarification. One less thing to fret about.

Strell: I've got quite enough body hair, thankyouverymuch.

Please announce that it will pick up the Wavebird's signal without the little dongle, to me that's worth $250 alone.

[quote name='2Fast']Please announce that it will pick up the Wavebird's signal without the little dongle, to me that's worth $250 alone.[/QUOTE]

Oi....I hadn't even considered that. But if they did that, they might not sell as many classic controllers, so I'm thinking no.

[quote name='2Fast']Please announce that it will pick up the Wavebird's signal without the little dongle, to me that's worth $250 alone.[/QUOTE]
Problem being the different channels the wavebirds can operate on, and the possibility of frequency interference making autosensing difficult. The Wiimotes have sync buttons, as well as the console, so it could be incorperated in there; that'd be sweet, but I doubt it will happen.

WaveBirds are RF, I doubt highly it'll pick it up because that's really not standard network traffic - Even if we didn't know for a fact that the Wii interfaced with a DS we could easily speculate it because it uses standard network wifi protocols.

I also think this thread kinda made the CAG cast because Wombat was talking about a similar topic.

bread's done
Back