Nintendo Returns to TGS

SMMM

CAGiversary!
Feedback
35 (100%)
http://blog.wired.com/games/2007/04/if_nintendo_att.html

----

If Nintendo Attends Tokyo Game Show...

TgsBrian Ashcraft is reporting on Kotaku that Nintendo will actually have a booth at this year's Tokyo Game Show. And the guy writes for Wired too, so you know he's legit when he's says that "multiple, high-placed insiders" are confirming it.

Nintendo traditionally sits out Tokyo Game Show. This is mostly because Tokyo Game Show was started as a venue to show off games that weren't on Nintendo platforms -- those were always at Nintendo's own Space World show. Since then Nintendo has generally preferred to stick to its own expositions, though they occasionally drop in to TGS to drop a bomb like the Wii remote in 2005.

So what does it mean that they might show this year? It will probably be looked upon as the event that solidifies Nintendo's return to domination in their home country; they'll be invading a show that in years past has been absolutely owned by Sony products. Microsoft was always shoved off in a back room and without Nintendo there, not even the DS got that much love on the show floor in recent years. It was always PlayStation-centric.

But now with the industry no longer PlayStation-centric, Tokyo Game Show can't be, either, or it won't be a draw anymore. I imagine that the TGS management lobbied hard to get Nintendo on board this year.

Japan-living NeoGAF poster and accomplished armchair industry analyst "Jonnyram" weighed in with this: "If true, PS3 is officially finished. This TGS is crucial to the PS3's success. If Sony is outshone by Nintendo, they can kiss the console market goodbye." It's certainly not going to be fun for Sony having to go up against Nintendo in front of the Japanese gaming public.

Ashcraft says the main reason for the return is Dragon Quest IX, which will hit the Nintendo DS late this year in Japan. Fair enough: it's likely that Square Enix's booth space wouldn't be large enough to handle all of the DQIX demand. Nintendo might even make the demo downloadable, which would be super-hot and a magnanimous display of mercy towards the TGS crowd, who would otherwise have had to wait in five-hour lines to play it.

Or worse, considering that the promise of a playable DQIX is the sort of thing that will likely cause a whole lot of people who would ordinarily never attend a TGS to come in and try it out. TGS has been playing host to more families in recent years with a special section for young kids, so it's not entirely a huge den of crazy otaku. If this turns out to be true, TGS 2007 could be packed deep with casual gamers. Kind of scary. I'd better book my ticket now

[quote name='Backlash']Oops, there goes his credibility. This might hurt the PS3 badly (or might not), but to proclaim its demise this early is just ignorant. We'll see in a few years how it does.[/quote]

Couldn't agree more - one game on a competing console certainly doesn't spell the demise of another. I think the market has grown big enough to support multiple leading consoles. Think of the people who own more than one gaming machine...

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']I'd like to think so, but we'll see if everyone has made money by the end of the generation.[/QUOTE]

I don't think you can measure success that way either. The xbox never made MS a single dime, but it was all they needed to get a foot in the market. Both Sony and MS have other divisions outside of gaming, and it looks like they are trying to promote those other divisions through the use of their gaming fanbase. While the console may not make money, Sony, for instance, may have put millions of blu-ray players in peopls homes, and MS may have put millions of elites in peoples home to promote digital distribution.

Funny, Nintendo was nowhere to be found when the Gamecube was sucking ass all those years, so now that the Wii is popular, they decide they wanna show up.

I think it has less to do with the Wii and more about showing DQ, which is always a popular gig at TGS.

They could just have a single booth with a little 3" x 9" white sign with the logo, lines would go out the door.

dpatel's comment
Thinking about it, you're right. This is why I hate next-gen. Boo

Should be interesting to see what they come with.

It's nice to see them entering that field. It always seemed weird to me when their elitest Space World died away why they never went to TGS.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I don't envy anyone that's going to TGS this year.[/quote]Yeah, playing all those new games and getting free schwag, that sounds like a shitty time to me.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']Yeah, playing all those new games and getting free schwag, that sounds like a shitty time to me.[/quote]TGS was alaready a sweaty mob that made E3 look like owning your own 40 and a mule. Adding Nintendo to the mix is going to make things far worse.

bread's done
Back