Nintendo Switch Preorder Thread 2.0

There is one thing I'm sure of, Nintendo will continue to do whatever  they want despite the larger tends of the market. Why? Because for good or bad they are an obstinate company and sometimes that works out well while other times it's a disaster. Imagining them just giving up the handheld market after they basically invented it and have dominated it for almost 30 years just seems impossible given their stubborn and slow moving nature.

I'm ready for it to be post launch though so we can all get our questions answered and see if this thing is worth it or not.

I love it but many others wish for a more normal winter. If it gets below 60 here I get annoyed and think it's too cold

When we dip down to low 30s I'm pretty much miserable.
Visited Houston and Austin in July. It was hot but the humidity wasn't bad compared to what we deal with in Michigan. Just the sheer fact so many large cities are nearby and all being unique was great. Housing prices seemed to be really fair as well. I look forward it and being able to goto events like PAX that never come to my neck of the woods.

So instead of Nintendo having multiple platforms they can just have one and sell less. Seems like a good idea.

I really don't understand why people are so hellbent on the Switch replacing the 3ds.
I think the NS replacing the 3DS is a very poor idea for many reasons, but a few years back, "N" combined their portable and console R&D in to one division, so I suspect making games across one system is the future plan, if I agree with it or not.

I think a better use of their time, money and resources would have been to make a "handheld", and give the option to hook it up in the home if one so desires. I think they did this backwards, as they went "console", and it can be used as a portable.

I see one doing them a great service, and the other does not. As has been stated, the NS is to expensive and big to be considered any kind of replacement to the DS line, but as a console, it's lacking as well. They also just came from the home market with their biggest failure yet, and then they offer something I personally find very similar to what the Wii U was. I don't currently know if the consumer buying public will see much difference either.

I think they should have made the best handheld, kept it under $200, and thrived with the 3rd parties and the business they have always had success in. Why they continue to want to make a "home" console, it just doesn't work for many reasons, most of which is 3rd parties just aren't there, and as long as the NS is a home console(or perceived as such), I doubt many will be coming in to the fold. Most 3rd party support so far seems to be table scraps of lesser games, or titles that are an easy port, and low risk.

I do think they will offer a NS mini, or some other form of lesser NS down the line(where all games work across systems), as they seem set on unifying both markets, but I think if that was the long term plan, they should have started with the handheld first, and then rolled in the the home aspect. But, since the 3DS is still doing well, I'm sure they came to the conclusion to replace the Wii U first, but their home systems are always a up hill battle, that they continue to loose.

They're not giving up on the handheld market. They're reinventing it with the Switch.
I'd have to see real data on the number of people who own a 3ds that don't own a Wii U and then a year from now see how many 3ds owners bought a Switch. I personally don't believe the cross over is that high and they would be gutting themselves that way by probably losing half their customer base.

There is a nintendo switch preview tour. I somehow got invited but not going. NY already happened so there should be some people posting about it. The rest are soon. Curious what cool swag they might be giving out.

• New York – Jan. 13-15
  • Washington, D.C. – Feb. 10-12
  • Chicago – Feb. 17-19
  • San Francisco – Feb. 24-26
  • Los Angeles – March 3-5
I'll be attending this weekend. I'll follow up with what they give out.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

They also just came from the home market with their biggest failure yet, and then they offer something I personally find very similar to what the Wii U was.
It's not a two-screen experience like the Wii U. It doesn't ever require (or even support) a touch screen for home games like the Wii U. And the Joy-Cons are a new version of the Wii remote (which was used with their most successful console).

What about the system is similar to the Wii U?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think theres alot of worry over a 3DS market that nintendo is starting to figure out isnt is as big of a deal anymore. Mario Run just for apple devices sold roughly 93 million as of the end of December and still hasn't hit the bigger audience of Android users until March. If they're able to generate decent numbers through a mobile platform and provide software for the switch then I'm pretty sure they'd be content with where they stand. Honestly its a good business move for them and lets them focus on hopefully filling out the switch more. If the switch takes off I don't see them keeping the 3DS line around being as old as it is and a slowing of software when they can just move to mobile and pump out titles generating a high return of income. In the end do any of us really know though? I suspect around E3 or the holidays at least we will see a more concrete direction from them.

It's not a two-screen experience like the Wii U. It doesn't ever require (or even support) a touch screen for home games like the Wii U. And the Joy-Cons are a new version of the Wii remote (which was used with their most successful console). What about the system is similar to the Wii U?
We all know this, because we follow the news and the market. Does anyone here remember how most consumers thought that the Wii U was an add on for the Wii?

I think an average consumer, will see a tablet like device on a box in Walmart that has controls on each end, and think Wii U. The only real difference I see between the NS and the Wii U, is the removable controls on either end, and that it can be used away from the TV, but the foot print, and form factor appears the exact same. Yes, they are different, but how many people who don't follow "N" news, may or may not see that?

Commercials showing people flailing their arms around will scream Wiimote, if it is is or isn't. One of the big selling points of the Wii U was off screen play, although I found it untrue in most situations, but that was a feature. So in a lot of ways, I find both systems very similar(IMO).

We all know this, because we follow the news and the market. Does anyone here remember how most consumers thought that the Wii U was an add on for the Wii?

I think an average consumer, will see a tablet like device on a box in Walmart that has controls on each end, and think Wii U.
The confusion around the Wii U came from the name and the fact that console itself looks almost identical to a Wii. The box looked like a Wii with a Gamepad next to it. Those problems don't exist for the Switch.

What about this box makes people think of the Wii U?

819Yqb%2BsM5L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I think theres alot of worry over a 3DS market that nintendo is starting to figure out isnt is as big of a deal anymore. Mario Run just for apple devices sold roughly 93 million as of the end of December and still hasn't hit the bigger audience of Android users until March. If they're able to generate decent numbers through a mobile platform and provide software for the switch then I'm pretty sure they'd be content with where they stand. Honestly its a good business move for them and lets them focus on hopefully filling out the switch more. If the switch takes off I don't see them keeping the 3DS line around being as old as it is and a slowing of software when they can just move to mobile and pump out titles generating a high return of income. In the end do any of us really know though? I suspect around E3 or the holidays at least we will see a more concrete direction from them.
93 million downloads, maybe, but <5% paid for the App. Say 4.5 million people bought it for $10. Take off Apple's 30% and they made about 31 million dollars.

The 3DS on the other hand. Pokemon Sun & Moon have sold ~15 million copies so far at $40 each. That's 600 million in revenue. You can take away what retailers get and manufacturing, but it doesn't matter, they still made a ton more money with either of those games than Super Mario Run.

Even a smaller 3DS game that sells 1-2 million copies makes them that much. Not to mention the profit from selling the hardware to those people in the first place, accessories, etc...

They are doing a general access for plebians on the Sunday of each tour stop.  I plan on hitting up the DC one this weekend, but it might be a cold few hours outside waiting to get in.

Sold or free downloads?

People seem to have it in their minds that only Nintendo develops for the 3ds which is amazingly wrong with how much 3rd party support it has.

Seriously though, what could the criteria have been for these events? Every time I call Nintendo customer support, they make a comment about how many games I've purchased and own on my account. It's a LOT. I have a My Nintendo account. It's hooked up to my NNID with notifications turned on and my location (Chicago) associated. The event is only a couple of miles from my house!

I give you so much Nintendo, why don't you love me?  :cry:

Seriously though, what could the criteria have been for these events? Every time I call Nintendo customer support, they make a comment about how many games I've purchased and own on my account. It's a LOT. I have a My Nintendo account. It's hooked up to my NNID with notifications turned on and my location (Chicago) associated. The event is only a couple of miles from my house!

I give you so much Nintendo, why don't you love me? :cry:
Same. I was invited last time for the Wii U event and went. Nothing this time though =\.

Well they'd rather invite a shit head from gizmodo that knows nothing about videogames so they can put it up a review on their blog and 30 people read it.

Instead of letting someone whos genuinely interested in the machine and wants to buy it actually get their hands on it.

They're not giving up on the handheld market. They're reinventing it with the Switch.
Not just reinventing the handheld market, but inventing a whole new market with the kickstand/kiosk style setup. I don't think people comprehend in the slightest the possibilities that that could bring as sharing gaming these days with anyone outside of online is difficult due to the hardware hurdle.

93 million downloads, maybe, but <5% paid for the App. Say 4.5 million people bought it for $10. Take off Apple's 30% and they made about 31 million dollars.

The 3DS on the other hand. Pokemon Sun & Moon have sold ~15 million copies so far at $40 each. That's 600 million in revenue. You can take away what retailers get and manufacturing, but it doesn't matter, they still made a ton more money with either of those games than Super Mario Run.

Even a smaller 3DS game that sells 1-2 million copies makes them that much. Not to mention the profit from selling the hardware to those people in the first place, accessories, etc...
Nice story, but Super Mario Run cost a lot less to make than Pokemon Sun and Moon. Comparing the profits would involve knowing the cost it took to make both products, get them to market, advertise them... and then what profits were actually made from sales (rather than speculation). In the end, Super Mario Run was massively successful for what I think was a relatively small investment. It's hard to really say something made $30+ million dollars and was some how bad because for all we know they put less than 1 million in to make that.

Granted, I don't want more games like Super Mario Run... but I get why these games exist as, like Pokemon Go, they do indeed lead to bigger sales as people remember how great the full blooded games are.

So, in a way, Sun & Moon owes a lot of it's sales to Pokemon Go. It's a great strategy overall... and Pokemon Go is still pretty dang high in the top sales charts (talking actual profits not downloads) over on the AppStore.

I think an average consumer, will see a tablet like device on a box in Walmart that has controls on each end, and think Wii U. The only real difference I see between the NS and the Wii U, is the removable controls on either end, and that it can be used away from the TV, but the foot print, and form factor appears the exact same. Yes, they are different, but how many people who don't follow "N" news, may or may not see that?
I think you're giving the poor Wii U too much credit. Average consumers still don't know enough about it to compare it to anything. It just never broke into the public consciousness enough for that.

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but the Pro controller for the Switch can be pre-ordered at Best Buy again

While I don't expect them to stop manufacturing the 3DS any time soon, I don't expect them to make many new games for it either. So it's deceptive to customers to say that 3DS will continue.

And it'll hurt Switch sales with a some people opting to buy a New 3DS XL for $200 instead of buying a Switch for $300. Those people will be disappointed by how few games are released from this point on.
I agree it may hurt switch sales, but there are so many different reasons people are buying the 3DS now. For those that never bought a 3DS, I think the catalog of games is too big to disappoint. Even if they stop making games, a new owner could justify the purchase with all the 3DS and (if they didn't have a DS) DS games (1014 3DS games and 1862 DS games according to Nintendo). I have owned both, and am still trying to get to a huge backlog as well as find the games I never bought on release.

If I had never owned a 3DS and had the option right now of that or a Switch, I'd take the 3DS. Way more great games, where the Switch has few announced games and an unpredictable future.

I think you're giving the poor Wii U too much credit. Average consumers still don't know enough about it to compare it to anything. It just never broke into the public consciousness enough for that.
Add to this, when customers see the more handheld system sized box, that'll also make it seem very different. It's one thing when the systems are forced to sit at the bottom of a retail case vs up at eye level with the customers. Even if they end up on the bottom shelf, the massive difference in the box alone should stop any comparisons to past nintendo systems.

Well they'd rather invite a shit head from gizmodo that knows nothing about videogames so they can put it up a review on their blog and 30 people read it.
Instead of letting someone whos genuinely interested in the machine and wants to buy it actually get their hands on it.
You sound salty, they absolutely should invite a reporter from a very large electronics blog before you.

Super Mario Run's success has transformed Nintendo's mobile/IP licensing business, generating revenues of ¥10.6 billion (£75 million, $93 million) for the nine-month period ending December 31 2016, compared to ¥4.4 billion (£30 million, $38 million) in 2015, according to its latest financial report. Super Mario Run has since fallen off the App Store charts but is due for release on Android in March.

This is true. I misread the report a little but this was the first dip into the water and I think it proves they can continue to pump out games and negotiate a fair price point. I just don't see the 3DS being viable for longer than this year. After that someone has to wonder what Pokemon would look like with the switch vs less than stellar graphics and game play of the aging 3DS. I honestly havent played mine in a really long time. I think thats the appeal for me with switch is itll be the same game at home or on the go. Not worried about battery life. I have plenty of usb c battery chargers that they announced would be supported so im good there. Thanks for pointing out where I went wrong with the article.

<p>

There is a nintendo switch preview tour. I somehow got invited but not going. NY already happened so there should be some people posting about it. The rest are soon. Curious what cool swag they might be giving out.

• New York – Jan. 13-15
  • Washington, D.C. – Feb. 10-12
  • Chicago – Feb. 17-19
  • San Francisco – Feb. 24-26
  • Los Angeles – March 3-5
A hat, a cookie, water, a pin, and something to organize wires all with the switch logo. Plus posters/postcards from 3rd party games. At least, that is what they did in NY.

How long does it take on GameStop website to reflect an order cancellation? I cancelled my online order for a pro controller/breath of the wild combo, and it still shows that the order is open.

Edit: Nevermind

Of course people are willing to accept less on a portable system over their TV. But I just don't see that many people preferring the drastically underpowered 3DS over a Switch just because it's slightly more portable. The size difference between a 3DS XL and a Switch isn't nearly as great as you are making it out to be.
Tell that to GameGear.

My point is the fact that Switch is a handheld is excellent for people who don't want a handheld. If it replaces the 3DS it means that no future Nintendo games will be available exclusively on a handheld.

But unfortunately most people don't think of that. If they aren't interested in the handheld part of the system they just see an overpriced/underpowered home console.
Why does it matter if games aren't exclusively made for the handheld if they play on the handheld and work great on the handheld?

Why does anyone care if other people can play those same games on the tv? I don't get your first pt.

I get your last pt. The handheld/console could be an achille's heel type of flaw for the "only will play on the tv" crowd. Nintendo could could sell it cheaper without the dock, screen and battery. Maybe even hit $200.

ON the other hand, then it would look like an expensive streaming box. IT would still be an underpowered console. $200 would still seem expensive compared to Ps4/X1. Yes it would be cheaper but has less functionality. And there wouldn't be anything fun or new about it although I guess they could keep the joycons and the grip. Might look just like a Wii then tho.

IT's definitely a product Nintendo hopes is greater than the sum of its parts. That by putting a handheld/console/tabletop into one device that it stands out as better than either one of those by itself.

Why does it matter if games aren't exclusively made for the handheld if they play on the handheld and work great on the handheld?

Why does anyone care if other people can play those same games on the tv? I don't get your first pt.
You misread my point: I want games to not be exclusively on handhelds.

I would love to be able to play Super Mario 3D Land, Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, and The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds on a TV with a good controller. Since they were released exclusively on a handheld that isn't an option. Every game released on Switch will have that option, every game released on 3DS does not.

That's why I want the Switch to replace the 3DS. That's why I'd be fine with buying an underpowered home console if I knew that all future Nintendo games would be on it, instead of them being split between home console and handheld. I will use the portability of the system but I'm mainly interested in the hybrid capabilities because it means the end of handheld exclusives.

You misread my point: I want games to not be exclusively on handhelds.

I would love to be able to play Super Mario 3D Land, Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, and Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds on a TV with a good controller. Since they were released exclusively on a handheld that isn't an option. Every game released on Switch will have that option, every game released on 3DS does not.

That's why I want the Switch to replace the 3DS. That's why I'd be fine with buying an underpowered home console if I knew that all future Nintendo games would be on it, instead of them being split between home console and handheld. I will use the portability of the system but I'm mainly interested in the hybrid capabilities because it means the end of handheld exclusives.
Ok. Your first line threw me off. I wouldn't quite put it like you did, but yeah there is much more appeal to all if this is Nintendo's 1 platform.

So apparently GameStop is going to select 1000 people at random tomorrow to be able to preorder the Switch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been waiting for someone to bring it up, and I am by no means throwing my hat into this discussion, I'd just like to add another reason for why people would buy a 3DS successor: unlike the motion control gimmick with the Wii, people actually really like the 3D gimmick. I'm sure some of you will shoot this notion down, saying no one cared about that but everyone I know/have met at conventions are always surprised that I don't play games in 3D. According to them, that was the biggest draw of the system and they love playing games in 3D (most even upgrading to new 3DS' for the best version of 3D visuals). A successor with that built in would probably sell. People would probably want it over the switch since it'd be cheaper, have a gimmick they actually care about, and they'd still get their Nintendo fix.

Because it's not replacing the 3DS. Have you been paying attention at all?

I really don't understand why people are so hellbent on the Switch replacing the 3ds.
I can't believe there are still people who think Nintendo will release a dedicated portable with an exclusive library when so many higher-ups at Nintendo have said having two platforms to support is one of the reasons why there have been software droughts, and that they wouldn't have that same problem with the Switch. What do you think that means? It's people like you who haven't been paying attention if you can't read between the lines.

The writing is on the wall. Even look at most of the titles the 3DS has been getting lately, and what's on horizon for it: Super Mario Maker. Poochy and Yoshi's Woolly World. Fire Emblem: Warriors. What do they have in common? They are all downported games. Nintendo doesn't want to develop exclusively for the 3DS anymore.

While a Switch mini will most likely come out in a couple of years, there won't be a dedicated handheld from Nintendo with its own library, unless the Switch is a total dud and they have to scramble to release something fast. Otherwise the Switch is it. Their own comments should be enough of a sign. Plus common sense should tell you that it doesn't make sense for Nintendo to have two portables competing against each other. Because of the end of the day the Switch is a portable as well, whether you want to admit it or not.

So apparently GameStop is going to select 1000 people at random tomorrow to be able to preorder the Switch
Wow what a totally amazing, excellent giveaway Gamestop! They are giving away the ability to buy something from their store. This goes one step above and beyond the "coupons" they give me as gifts.

I can't believe there are still people who think Nintendo will release a dedicated portable with an exclusive library when so many higher-ups at Nintendo have said having two platforms to support is one of the reasons why there have been software droughts, and that they wouldn't have that same problem with the Switch. What do you think that means? It's people like you who haven't been paying attention if you can't read between the lines.

The writing is on the wall. Even look most of the titles the 3DS has been getting lately, and what's on horizon for it: Super Mario Maker. Poochy and Yoshi's Woolly World. Fire Emblem: Warriors. What do they have in common? They are all downported games. Nintendo doesn't want to develop exclusively for the 3DS anymore.

While a Switch mini will most likely come out in a couple of years, there won't be a dedicated handheld from Nintendo with its own library, unless the Switch is a total dud and they have to scramble to release something fast. Otherwise the Switch is it. Their own comments should be enough of a sign. Plus common sense should tell you that it doesn't make sense for Nintendo to have two portables competing against each other. Because of the end of the day the Switch is a portable as well, whether you want to admit it or not.
It still sucks.

I's like, hey, lets get rid of a great system (3DS), which has good battery life...

and replace it with something quite large with a horrible battery life.

The writing is on the wall. Even look most of the titles the 3DS has been getting lately, and what's on horizon for it: Super Mario Maker. Poochy and Yoshi's Woolly World. Fire Emblem: Warriors. What do they have in common? They are all downported games. Nintendo doesn't want to develop exclusively for the 3DS anymore.

Yeah thanks but I'm going to go with 28 years of factual evidence over you reading the tea leaves and determining the Switch is the future and an instant success. The facts also show that there aren't any games for it yet.

Speaking of their comments...for the last time the Switch is a home console first. Like everyone at Nintendo has said multiple times. They've made it a point to get this point across in their conferences.

Pretty sure we all understand the potential of this platform sometime down the line in the future, bud. That's why some people are hesitant to buy the 1.0 version.

It still sucks.

I's like, hey, lets get rid of a great system (3DS), which has good battery life...

and replace it with something quite large with a horrible battery life.
The battery life isn't that different between the two. And it's also time to move on. The 3DS has been on the market for 6 years. It's had a good life. But it's time to move on to something new.

Yeah thanks but I'm going to go with 28 years of factual evidence over you reading the tea leaves and determining the Switch is the future and an instant success. The facts also show that there aren't any games for it yet.

Speaking of their comments...for the last time the Switch is a home console first. Like everyone at Nintendo has said multiple times.

Pretty sure we all understand the potential of this platform sometime down the line in the future, bud.
Ha ha, you're so passive-aggressive. Just shows my comment hurt you emotionally. It'll be okay, bud.

Anyway, you'll see for yourself soon enough. You're in for a rude awakening.

are you high?

don't respond to someone aggressively if you don't want a response.
Let's have a bet. If Nintendo releases a dedicated portable handheld with its own exclusive library (not a Switch mini) in the next three years, I'll have a My Litte Pony avatar of your choosing for a year here on cheapassgamer. If three years pass and there's no dedicated handheld, you have to have the MLP avatar for a year.

Are you ready to put your money where your mouth is?

Let's have a bet. If Nintendo releases a dedicated portable handheld with its own exclusive library (not a Switch mini) in the next three years, I'll have a My Litte Pony avatar of your choosing for a year here on cheapassgamer. If three years pass and there's no dedicated handheld, you have to have the MLP avatar for a year.

Are you ready to put your money where your mouth is?
use this as the avatar...

4uAtZuY.jpg

I'd delete my account if I had to make this my avatar, but that's just me

bread's done
Back