Nintendo Switch Preorder Thread 2.0

"T: You’ve mentioned the 3DS there. Will you continue to support the dedicated handheld given Switch could potentially replace it?

Takahashi: Certainly I think 3DS from a price perspective is quite a bit lower, and it’s a system we’ve released a very large library for. So I think from that perspective it’s a very good system for kids to have as their first system. We still see a lot of potential for 3DS in that area. And with that in mind we’re thinking of games to release for 3DS not just in 2017, but in 2018 as well. And the hope there also is that kids playing on 3DS will also shift over to Switch at some point in the future."
So two more years of support give or take? 
The whole interview is worth a read.
http://gonintendo.com/stories/273813-nintendo-3rd-party-switch-reveals-soon-several-online-services

Last edited by a moderator:
You're kind of like a Gamerscore.
Chicken+McFly-BTTF.gif

"T: You’ve mentioned the 3DS there. Will you continue to support the dedicated handheld given Switch could potentially replace it?

Takahashi: Certainly I think 3DS from a price perspective is quite a bit lower, and it’s a system we’ve released a very large library for. So I think from that perspective it’s a very good system for kids to have as their first system. We still see a lot of potential for 3DS in that area. And with that in mind we’re thinking of games to release for 3DS not just in 2017, but in 2018 as well. And the hope there also is that kids playing on 3DS will also shift over to Switch at some point in the future."
So two more years of support give or take?
The whole interview is worth a read.
http://gonintendo.com/stories/273813-nintendo-3rd-party-switch-reveals-soon-several-online-services
In other words the 3DS will continue to be supported in the same way that PS3 was still supported after PS4 was released: for people who haven't upgraded yet. The Switch is the successor to the 3DS, but they aren't ending all support for a successful previous system just because a new one is out.

I'm an openminded dude. When you say something that makes sense, even if I don't agree with it I will see your side. The thing is you're bringing up a negative that doesn't exist. I've never seen anyone talk about their score in the way you and the other dude said. You're complaining about something that doesn't happen. This is why I'm ignoring your point. There is no point when you bring that up.
Certain people will find any reason to prove how "real" of a gamer they are though, and be a dick to those they don't deem on that level. I'm glad you've managed to go this long without encountering them I guess... that's pretty rad. Hell, even if Nintendo introduces an achievement system, many people will dismiss it anyhow because it's on a Nintendo system. Those types of gamers exist. It's a toxic attitude, and I'm against anything that helps or promotes it. But even I am willing to admit that it's a minor negative in the overall picture, my problem is how that correlates to the previously mentioned issue influencing purchases.

Certain people will find any reason to prove how "real" of a gamer they are though, and be a dick to those they don't deem on that level. I'm glad you've managed to go this long without encountering them I guess... that's pretty rad. Hell, even if Nintendo introduces an achievement system, many people will dismiss it anyhow because it's on a Nintendo system. Those types of gamers exist. It's a toxic attitude, and I'm against anything that helps or promotes it. But even I am willing to admit that it's a minor negative in the overall picture, my problem is how that correlates to the previously mentioned issue influencing purchases.
But again, why does it matter if people buy games just because of the points they'll get? How that does affect the rest of us who buy games because we actually care about them?

Love where this 2.0 thread is heading
Yeah, I'm trying to keep this Nintendo relevant... but it might just be a pointless discussion.

Let's talk about something we all can agree on. NINTENDO, GIVE US OUR DAMN VIRTUAL CONSOLE GAMES!

Also, until we get a Switch emote I'm recycling this oldie. :psp:

https://youtu.be/VF7QSzs4uQI

On another topic, I want to recommend this video. It was an informative podcast featuring lots of impressions about the Switch and the games they played. I recommend at least watching this short snippet (lasts less than a minute) which talks about how comfortable the JoyCons in the grip are: https://youtu.be/VF7QSzs4uQI?t=11m14s It has comments from people who've held it, and they say that even though it looks odd, it actually feels very nice.

Edit: And at https://youtu.be/VF7QSzs4uQI?t=17m6s one of the guys had the same thing happen to him as it did for me. They pre-ordered the Gray JoyCon set thinking the Neon colors looked weird, but after having seeing them in person he wishes he had preordered the Neon set instead. And all of them say the Neon colors look amazing, that the pictures don't do them justice.

You just confirmed what I said by disagreeing with it, though.

People play certain games more to increase their profile score. Having a score adds value to games because of this. But what about games that can't or shouldn't have scores? That don't have gameplay suited to an achievement system? This is why games with achievement systems in-game make more sense than a console-wide score based system that influences people's purchasing decisions.
I don't really think developers design games around a trophy system. Its just a reward for doing something like "beat this in x amount of time" or "collect all of x".

It just gives you something to do that maybe you normally wouldn't do. Thats what I mean by it adding value to the game.

-Stuff about achievements-
In all my years of gaming, not once have I ever encountered a person belittling me for my gamerscore/trophies. They are too busy talking about the last sexual favor they did to my mother to care.

In all serious note, Nintendo started an achievement-like system with stamps on the wii u. I liked that system, as it resulted in something useful to use. They could just keep doing that and I would be fine with it.

All of you being paranoid about your gamerscore/trophies are silly tho. No one really cares.

On the flip side, there isn't an excuse why a dev can't support an achievement/trophy system. Literally can be as simple as 'started game', 'got halfway thru the game', 'beat the game'. They don't need to be clever.

While it's true that a game's trophies/achievements don't need to be clever, creating an engaging, interesting meta-game goes a long ways. Achievements can absolutely improve a game's experience if they are done correctly. Colin and Greg on PS I Love You podcast have talked this point to death. It's not easy creating good achievements. But if you can, it proves you are a more versatile developer.

I have seen people complain about the effect that achievements have on an online ecosystem. And I think people are living in the past a little too much. The days of Avatar: The Last Airbender (you could get all achievements in 1 minute) and all of the crappy movie tie-in titles are all but dead. That used to be a thriving market, but very little games are made anymore with complete throwaway, simple achievements. That's because developers are finally figuring out how to use them.

Point is, meta gaming is not scary. It won't destroy Nintendo's integrity. It will only help them.

I'll keep it short.

IDGAF about achievements.

I didn't care when Sony implemented them on playstation and I don't care if Nintendo does or doesn't for the switch.

Can you even imagine the decades of Nintendo history that can be worked into nods and inside-jokes for fans of each Nintendo IP? 

There's tons of material there for awesome memorable achievements.

But I'm okay with stamps and miiverse too.

Neither system is anything I'd just have to have, but I can only see them building the experience, not detracting from it.

While it's true that a game's trophies/achievements don't need to be clever, creating an engaging, interesting meta-game goes a long ways. Achievements can absolutely improve a game's experience if they are done correctly. Colin and Greg on PS I Love You podcast have talked this point to death. It's not easy creating good achievements. But if you can, it proves you are a more versatile developer.

I have seen people complain about the effect that achievements have on an online ecosystem. And I think people are living in the past a little too much. The days of Avatar: The Last Airbender (you could get all achievements in 1 minute) and all of the crappy movie tie-in titles are all but dead. That used to be a thriving market, but very little games are made anymore with complete throwaway, simple achievements. That's because developers are finally figuring out how to use them.

Point is, meta gaming is not scary. It won't destroy Nintendo's integrity. It will only help them.
Fellow Best Friend here. Was thinking about them as well when I was typing an earlier comment about older people also caring about Trophies/Achievements.

I'll keep it short.

IDGAF about achievements.

I didn't care when Sony implemented them on playstation and I don't care if Nintendo does or doesn't for the switch.
This is how people should be. If they don't care about them they can just ignore them (even turn off notifications if they chose to) and move with their lives. It doesn't affect them in any way at the end of the day whether it has them or not.

But not having them does affect people who want them.

All of you being paranoid about your gamerscore/trophies are silly tho. No one really cares.
This sums up my feelings on it nicely. I think it's asinine to present the argument of someone being "discouraged" as a reason to leave out achievements. Should we also start removing multiplayer because a new player might get discouraged when they continually get teabagged by someone who's been playing for over a thousand hours?

That being said, I'm clearly on the side of achievements being included in games. I've had fun with them ever since I bought my first Xbox 360 back in '08 and discovered them for the first time when I accidentally killed a few too many stormtroopers as Vader in Force Unleashed and earned one for it. Many of the more clever ones add spice to the games I play, and honestly, I've often gone out of my way to get the Xbox versions of multiplatformers due to the fact that I like having all of my achievements in one place. If Nintendo made a proper system for them, too, I could see myself buying their games over the competition's much more often - then again, I doubt you'll see many multiplats with the Switch, given that it's not capable of matching the power of an X1 or PS4, but you get my point.

I've also really enjoyed how they added achievements to Fire Emblem Heroes that actually reward you with points through MyNintendo that you can exchange for in-game items and would love to see something like that implemented in their future games. That's also in addition to the in-game quests that also give you items and have goals that are much like the achievements in other games (e.g. use a certain character in a specific chapter, don't lose any units, etc.).

I have the best solution possible for this situation. "N" can release their own trophy/achievement system, and call it whatever, but I'm sure it will be something "gay" like the N Zone, or something. But anyway, they can offer a point system, that builds up over time like the CN point system of old, and then over time, you can cash in the points for cool collectibles.

So then, all the crazy  fuck on one side, can be happy that "N" has finally offered a true T/A system, and then the crazy bastards on the other side, who know damn well "N" is completely off their nut, but you defend them anyway crowd, you guys can be happy, cause now you can collect all that free crap like before with club N(without having to do those dopey surveys over and over with the same damn questions).

So now you guys can say how cool it is, and how "N" has reinvented T/A, and everyone thinks their side won, and this can be over. So then everyone is happy, and "N" can say they where the first ones to actually offer a physical reason to earn T/A. Now it's a win/win for everyone right?

People who think they're too good for trophies/achievements and get personally offended at the idea of them are adorable.

People who think they're too good for trophies/achievements and get personally offended at the idea of them are adorable.
Hey, we disagree about digital vs. physical media, and about the 3DS being phased out/whether it will get a sequel, but at least we agree on something! Up top! :p

People should go back to worrying about decent voice chat on the switch before they get all worried about being e-bullied for their lack of achievements.

After reading the past few pages Nintendo will just implement a static set of emotes for all games as the only way of communication.

In other words the 3DS will continue to be supported in the same way that PS3 was still supported after PS4 was released: for people who haven't upgraded yet. The Switch is the successor to the 3DS, but they aren't ending all support for a successful previous system just because a new one is out.
Yep, this also ends the whole conversation that Nintendo wouldn't end the 3DS line.

It's just going to be slowly phased out for the Switch.

People should go back to worrying about decent voice chat on the switch before they get all worried about being e-bullied for their lack of achievements.

After reading the past few pages Nintendo will just implement a static set of emotes for all games as the only way of communication.
Dude, do you really think the Switch won't have system wide voice chat when they're going to start to charge for online play? Not even Nintendo would get away with that now that they're charging for it. All multiplayer games will have to have it. Otherwise people won't support their online program.

Not to mention Reggie and others have already said it will be there.

I remember seeing a used clear purple GBC at a Babbages back in the day.... and it had a piece of cheese inside it. Not in the battery compartment either, but like... directly under the screen. It was growing mold. I have no idea why they agreed to let someone trade that in. Then again, I heard once they took a Nintendo 64 in and one day roaches came crawling out of it so...

Dude, do you really think the Switch won't have system wide voice chat
Hey, I said 'decent'. I don't doubt that it's there but will it be any good? Will I have to use some secondary app or something? Why isn't Nintendo marketing any headphone/mic sets (maybe they will closer to online launch), and why haven't they mentioned online at all besides the vague "switch will have internet" statements. They have done nothing at all so far to bolster any confidence in this matter whatsoever and launch is like 3 weeks away.

Plus my statement was mostly just tongue in cheek but I think you like to argue.

Hey, I said 'decent'. I don't doubt that it's there but will it be any good? Will I have to use some secondary app or something? Why isn't Nintendo marketing any headphone/mic sets (maybe they will closer to online launch), and why haven't they mentioned online at all besides the vague "switch will have internet" statements. They have done nothing at all so far to bolster any confidence in this matter whatsoever and launch is like 3 weeks away.

Plus my statement was mostly just tongue in cheek but I think you like to argue.
Okay.

we got an argumentative bunch in here! (pot calling the kettle black  :rofl:

Just to throw my hat into the mix, I think achievements are great. I  don't usually care about them, but I think they're excellent for fostering new ways to approach games. A perfect example for me was Half Life 2 on the orangebox. I had already beaten HL 2 probably close to 5 times by the time the game came out on the 360. Adding achievements to the 360 version, they also put them on the steam version. Several achievements compelled me to play through areas of the game in unique ways I hadn't even considered.

Play through Ravenholm only using the gravity gun

Cross the Antlion beach in the chapter Sandtraps without touching the sand.

Find all lambda caches in Half-Life 2.

Playing through ravenholm with only the gravity gun was absolutely thrilling, and something I'd have never really considered without the achievements. Just imagine if nintendo added these types creative of achievements to virtual consoles games? I think if they could come up with some creative ones it would be a blast.

To those in staunch disapproval of an achievement system, why do you care so much? It doesn't affect you, ignore it. People have different tastes, and just because they differ from yours doesn't mean they are inherently wrong or bad. Life is much easier when you learn to accept that. 

How much does message board PR shilling for Nintendo pay?

Asking for a friend.
10 Platinum Points per post. Every ten posts nets me another Stamina Potion for Fire Emblem Heroes. Did I mention that it's free to play and on both Android and iOS? You should download it today.

Hey, I said 'decent'. I don't doubt that it's there but will it be any good?
Yeah, this is my concern. "N" saying their offering something is next to useless, as every two steps forward they take, they take another 3 back. So I think that chat feature will be offered in some way, shape or form, but I'm expecting some "issue" to be present, that will make it all but broken, or not fun to use.

Its like their demo system, as I don't even bother downloading them from N" anymore, as I have to think about how best to try a game, so I don't run out of uses. 30 tries, yeah, not a big deal. 5 tries is a different story, as before I know it, I've got 1 left, and every time I've tried the game so far, I've had to stop and take care of some household duties. Now, just trying a demo has become an event or an effort and for what? So "N" can claim they offer a unique demo over that of Sony & MS. For fuck sake, it's a DEMO, why does this have to be unique and different?

So until voice chat, and online in general is shown or explained 100%, I wouldn't be getting to excited, as I'm sure there will be something wrong with all these features that will require a "face palm", after they are revealed. LOL

10 Platinum Points per post. Every ten posts nets me another Stamina Potion for Fire Emblem Heroes. Did I mention that it's free to play and on both Android and iOS? You should download it today.
Fire Emblem blows, though. Can I use the points to get a new Nintendo console without terrible gimmicks and overpriced peripherals?

Oh wait, the NES Classic is never in stock. nvm

we got an argumentative bunch in here! (pot calling the kettle black :rofl:)

Just to throw my hat into the mix, I think achievements are great. I don't usually care about them, but I think they're excellent for fostering new ways to approach games. A perfect example for me was Half Life 2 on the orangebox. I had already beaten HL 2 probably close to 5 times by the time the game came out on the 360. Adding achievements to the 360 version, they also put them on the steam version. Several achievements compelled me to play through areas of the game in unique ways I hadn't even considered.

Play through Ravenholm only using the gravity gun
Cross the Antlion beach in the chapter Sandtraps without touching the sand.
Find all lambda caches in Half-Life 2.

Playing through ravenholm with only the gravity gun was absolutely thrilling, and something I'd have never really considered without the achievements. Just imagine if nintendo added these types creative of achievements to virtual consoles games? I think if they could come up with some creative ones it would be a blast.

To those in staunch disapproval of an achievement system, why do you care so much? It doesn't affect you, ignore it. People have different tastes, and just because they differ from yours doesn't mean they are inherently wrong or bad. Life is much easier when you learn to accept that.
To be fair, Nintendo pretty much did that with the remix levels in NES Remix. I'd love to see more remix games on the Switch version of the VC.

As far as the overall discussion, how about some sort of achievement system where you could actually earn small discounts on future games or coins toward VC games?

So hey guys...just around 2 weeks until launch. Yeah!!!

I felt that this conversation needed something positive. lol

Splatoon was the most memorable Wii U game imo, and that's with MK8 and SSB4 in the list lol

My non-Nintendo gamer friends tried a little Splatoon while visiting and had a blast. Played it for the rest of the weekend.

Didn't play Slatoon 2 but I have my reservations on MK 8 for the NS. Too much of a port from Wii U ... IMO.

Not too mention playing 2 player on those joycons was terrible.

I don't think I'm ready to shell out $140 for 2 pro controllers and $60 for a ported game I already own.

Didn't play Slatoon 2 but I have my reservations on MK 8 for the NS. Too much of a port from Wii U ... IMO.

Not too mention playing 2 player on those joycons was terrible.

I don't think I'm ready to shell out $140 for 2 pro controllers and $60 for a ported game I already own.
$60? Wtf. No one here would pay $60 for it.

Btw, the hd rumble strenght is weak. Feels like a little less strong than a cell phones vibration. However, it sort of (and I use this term very loosely) delivers on its intention.

The marbles in a box game found in 1-2 Switch was a good example of it.

Too bad there wasn't a good example of hd rumble in zelda, mk8, or snipper clips.

Btw, the hd rumble strenght is weak. Feels like a little less strong than a cell phones vibration. However, it sort of (and I use this term very loosely) delivers on its intention.

The marbles in a box game found in 1-2 Switch was a good example of it.

Too bad there wasn't a good example of hd rumble in zelda, mk8, or snipper clips.
Is it possible the batteries where low, and that is why the rumble wasn't that strong, or was it the same across all the systems you tried?

bread's done
Back