Nintendo Switch Preorder Thread 2.0

The controllers were being consistently charged but yeah the low battery may have been a factor.

However they all felt simular. I would say ... when they are unattached (ie. 2 player mk8) the rumble felt stronger than when using the joycons were attached on switch.

I wouldn't let rumble strength be a show stopper when deciding to buy the NS ... but when the company pounds its chest about hd rumble, I would have expected a little more strength.

Its like their demo system, as I don't even bother downloading them from N" anymore, as I have to think about how best to try a game, so I don't run out of uses. 30 tries, yeah, not a big deal. 5 tries is a different story, as before I know it, I've got 1 left, and every time I've tried the game so far, I've had to stop and take care of some household duties. Now, just trying a demo has become an event or an effort and for what?
Are you bs'ing? How do you manage to play real games if you can't spend 5 to 10 min to play a demo? Don't you know about the sleep mode every DS/3DS has where you simply flip the system closed if you gotta go do something else? Even with the consoles, just set the controller down... turn off the tv if needed... and come back to it later.

I've never needed more than three tries to play a demo to determine if the game was something I wanted to buy. The only times I've ever taken more than 3 tries is for games where I knew I wanted it... but the demo was so fun I just kept on playing it until I could afford the full game (or it was cheap enough).

... when they are unattached (ie. 2 player mk8) the rumble felt stronger than when using the joycons were attached on switch.
I could imagine that they might dial up/down the intensity based on the configuration as well as even offer intensity settings the user could configure.

Like with the iphone 7's home button. It doesn't actually click but it uses a 3D rumble style effect to simulate the click and there are 3 intensities you can pick from for it (Settings->General->Home Button). I have mine cranked up to 3... 1 felt too weak.

Still, I would imagine unattached the rumble would be more pronounced anyway just because of how you hold the joycons versus the whole system.

The controllers were being consistently charged but yeah the low battery may have been a factor.

However they all felt simular. I would say ... when they are unattached (ie. 2 player mk8) the rumble felt stronger than when using the joycons were attached on switch.

I wouldn't let rumble strength be a show stopper when deciding to buy the NS ... but when the company pounds its chest about hd rumble, I would have expected a little more strength.
Thanks, I was just curious. I'm not buying an NS anytime soon, but as you stated, since so much time and effort has been put in to this feature, I was wondering if there could have been any other factors in the low rumble you felt. The HD rumble seems like one of the better features, but if it works well, great, if not, it's a bonus item either way, as I wouldn't let that be a factor in my getting an NS or not.

Are you bs'ing? How do you manage to play real games if you can't spend 5 to 10 min to play a demo? Don't you know about the sleep mode every DS/3DS has where you simply flip the system closed if you gotta go do something else? Even with the consoles, just set the controller down... turn off the tv if needed... and come back to it later.

I've never needed more than three tries to play a demo to determine if the game was something I wanted to buy. The only times I've ever taken more than 3 tries is for games where I knew I wanted it... but the demo was so fun I just kept on playing it until I could afford the full game (or it was cheap enough).

I could imagine that they might dial up/down the intensity based on the configuration as well as even offer intensity settings the user could configure.

Like with the iphone 7's home button. It doesn't actually click but it uses a 3D rumble style effect to simulate the click and there are 3 intensities you can pick from for it (Settings->General->Home Button). I have mine cranked up to 3... 1 felt too weak.

Still, I would imagine unattached the rumble would be more pronounced anyway just because of how you hold the joycons versus the whole system.
I often play standard games in a window of 10-15 minutes(that's why I prefer handhelds to consoles), but I can save in a full game, not a problem. I'm also well aware of the 3DS sleep mode, and it is complete and utter ass. I can leave my Vita in sleep mode for weeks without it being plugged in, and come back to an almost still full charge. If I put the 3DS in sleep mode, not plugged in, I'll be lucky to get a portion of the day. Once again, why does it matter how I play the demo, the point is, I have to think about it, when I don't on any other systems or handhelds.

This is the assbackwards mentality, and defense of "N" that allows them to do things like this, and think it's OK? Just like the running discussion here about Achievements, good or bad? Why do others care if a feature is there or not, that can be shut off, and never effect their time with a game? I have a problem with the low qty demo's, and by them having a limit, changes nothing in regards to ANYTHING, just them making it "different", for no other reason than being different. It's a demo for Christ sake, it's 1-5% of the game(maybe?), if someone wants to play it 100 times, why does it matter?

As for the HD rumble being stronger with the joy cons detached, I would think that has more to do with them not feeling as strong when the screen is attached, due the the extra weight, as that would cause the rumble to be felt less(as it's causing more stability). So when the joy-cons are alone, the rumble would probably feel stronger, due to not having the extra weight of the screen. So I don't think they would have it stronger or less, base on how they are used(but they may have), but I think it has more to do with the perception of how they felt with and without the extra weight.

Welcome to the pre-order thread where we talk about pre-ordering the Switch and it's impending release and how we're looking forward to it.
I'm looking forward to it to, when it's cheaper, and has more games. There's no deals being discussed here either way, as there are no preorders to be had, so thanks for the info, I was not aware of those facts.

I too have played the NS and feel the same about the joy con as these 2 guys.

Actually, many youtube "influencers" that were at the NY invitational felt the same way (I was there). However their videos didn't really convey this message like these 2 guys did. Even these 2 guys were a little hesitant. I guess it ain't easy 4 some people 2 be against the status quo.

I feel that on March 3rd we'll see more honesty in these reviews.

https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=CW-62uJN_MU

Just announced, this is how Nintendo is going to begin handling the press who portray the Switch in a negative manner. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HnPkNJEci4

How much does message board PR shilling for Nintendo pay?

Asking for a friend.
Oh gee, people are excited for a product in a pre-order thread dedicated to said product. Are you surprised when you find certain political views on breitbart? Or the opposite on anything else?

I mean, I understand crapping on people who like things that you don't, but you know where you are.

I don't know if someone' order was cancelled or what, but Best Buy let me put an order in for Zelda special edition.
When I went back it said not available in area or for shipping.
My email received order conformation. We'll see if it gets cancelled.

This is dumb. Litterally the only thing they gave us from the wii u online is a possible friend list to talk to friends. Granted its not for everyone but I've met alot of people online playing random games and talking with. Not even allowing that is terrible and is disappointing.

Actually, many youtube "influencers" that were at the NY invitational felt the same way (I was there). However their videos didn't really convey this message like these 2 guys did. Even these 2 guys were a little hesitant. I guess it ain't easy 4 some people 2 be against the status quo.

Its like as if people can't have differin opinions or something man. Also, why am I supposed to give two farts what these guys say? Other people say different. I have never heard sight nor sound of these guys and have no way to even really appreciate their opinion. In fact watchingn that video didn't instill a belief that they were worth listening to.

I guess I want to know is why you think, that just because you have a different opinion than a group of folks, that those folks aren't being honest? It is entirely possible for folks to not agree about stuff. You're not special because you disagree with those folks.

This is dumb. Litterally the only thing they gave us from the wii u online is a possible friend list to talk to friends. Granted its not for everyone but I've met alot of people online playing random games and talking with. Not even allowing that is terrible and is disappointing.
So is voice chat going to be possible with your friends list through the switch itself with no need for the phone app? So much needless confusion on something that sony and microsoft had figured out years ago.

Based upon his clarification comment he didn't mean to come off as negative as he apparently did. Yes the controllers are very small, and thinking that is not outside of the norm at all.

No one thinks it is ideal to play with just a Joycon. It is only an option.

I wanted to stop watching after the driver mentioned that he never played a Vita.... which is blasphemy in my eyes, but I had to stop since the fact they were driving, the passing cars were annoying me. I figured with the size, not everyone would be happy, but at 6' tall, I prefer playing on a non-xl 3ds, and love my vita, so I don't foresee a problem with the joy-cons myself. A good friend of mine is 6'4" and he too rather play on a non-xl 3ds and loves his vita more than me. Now how will the joy-con's size affect long-term play? That is something we'll see after release. When people can put in 18+ hours a day playing Zelda. Hell, we don't even know if reviewers will be able to get their hands on the system before the launch.

No one thinks it is ideal to play with just a Joycon. It is only an option.
I feel like the single joycon play fits in great with random multiplayer.

It'll be interesting to see how comfortable this is in real life. I noticed on an Ultra Street Figther 2 video that some of the folks playing had a shell for the joycon. So that seems like a good solution if they prove to be too uncomfortable.

Last edited by a moderator:

I don't know these guys seemed pretty positive about everything except holding the joycons sideways. Also it did not sound like they used the joycons in the grip. And that they liked using them as motion controllers.

I don't think anyone thought the joycons sideways were going to be ideal. IT's more for using on the go or when you need an extra controller.

ON top of it, in my experience you get used to stuff that may feel a bit awkward at first. I found it funny these young guys had hand cramps after 3 minutes.

The size is easy to get a feel for. The joycons are barely taller than the height of the Wii U Gamepad screen.

Tebunker:

I really don't care who you believe. I was just putting my 1st hand experience out there.

I was at the NY showing. During some down time and after hours, a few well known youtube influencers and their plus ones (which included me) were all in agreement that the joycons were not good. The word gimmick was used a lot.

Like u said, who r these 2 guys? I have no idea but being that they echoed the same concerns I had after my 1st hand experience ... I'm partial to them over the influencers that did a complete 180 on their youtube review / 1st impressions.

https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=LwHM0Nyh--s

I don't know these guys seemed pretty positive about everything except holding the joycons sideways. Also it did not sound like they used the joycons in the grip. They liked using them as motion controllers.

I don't think anyone thought the joycons sideways were going to be ideal. IT's more for using on the go or when you need an extra controller.

ON top of it, in my experience you get used to stuff that may feel a bit awkward at first.

The size is easy to get a feel for. The joycons are barely taller than the height of the Wii U Gamepad screen.
I'm going have to feel these things firsthand and first tongue to come to any solid conclusion.

https://68.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m1alorsERB1qa5fkio1_250.gif

I'm pretty sure these are the grips for the individual joycon that were in the Ultra SF2 video I watched:

https://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-Switch-Grip-Joy-Con-Grips-Thumb/dp/B01MT9RSST/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1487010883

71-uJ%2BECwNL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

71OwNKKizML._AC_SL1500_.jpg

So if they don't end up comfortable enough, it's nice to know there are options beyond the wii-wheel like adapter.

Tebunker:

I really don't care who you believe. I was just putting my 1st hand experience out there.

I was at the NY showing. During some down time and after hours, a few well known youtube influencers and their plus ones (which included me) were all in agreement that the joycons were not good. The word gimmick was used a lot.

Like u said, who r these 2 guys? I have no idea but being that they echoed the same concerns I had after my 1st hand experience ... I'm partial to them over the influencers that did a complete 180 on their youtube review / 1st impressions.

https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=LwHM0Nyh--s
Maybe you missed it , maybe I wasn't 100% clear. I don't have a problem with you having differing opinions than others. It was strictly the use of the word honesty. As if opinions are facts.

Opinions are just that. You come off as if everyone being positive are the sheep but you have that different opinion and after everyone else sees, they'll know you were the only 'honest' one. You do realize people can have different initial impressions and after time to reflect they can add nuance amd more thought either way. Including making a 180. Again, opinions are meant to change.

Maybe I am just arguing semantics. Just didn't like that you were trying to discredit opinions because you had a different one. Its cool. It looks like folks are valuing all kinds of opinions regarding the toys we love.

Why would they allow a free-for-all voice chat in their children's game? Having a game based around online play with an E-rating and zero safety guidelines put in place for online play would be a really bad idea.

So is voice chat going to be possible with your friends list through the switch itself with no need for the phone app? So much needless confusion on something that sony and microsoft had figured out years ago.
No. It's just an app that you use for online matchmaking and chat. You can still play games without it, you just use it when you want to play with friends.

I think it's both very clever and extremely interesting how many options there are going to be to use the peripheral pieces of this system. On the one hand as a consumer it's great because there are going to be adapters and shells and add ons out the wazoo so you can use the thing however you want....but it also seems like an admission that the base controller setup is lacking in situations that have already been pretty clearly identified.

I'm really struggling with how I feel about this system. I keep finding myself thinking maybe I'll go to a midnight opening and get one since it seems there will be some extras at a few best buys around but I can't make up my mind. So many extra pieces I feel like I am going to end up wanting/needing to get a full comfortable experience.

1st world problems FTW!

Still ... I gotta say, these joycons are a gimmick IMHO. They were not practical during my experience with Zelda, MK8, and Snipper Clips.

Why would they allow a free-for-all voice chat in their children's game? Having a game based around online play with an E-rating and zero safety guidelines put in place for online play would be a really bad idea.

No. It's just an app that you use for online matchmaking and chat. You can still play games without it, you just use it when you want to play with friends.
Let the game itself decide if it wants to block random voice chat. Don't block it on the hardware side. Best of both worlds.

So my nephew and I who will be friends on the switch, we won't be able to voice chat in game on Splatoon 2 or Mario Kart 8 deluxe without having to have a cell phone app & cell phone in our laps? Oh, and without the subscription service, we won't be able to play online at all on the switch? Does anyone really know the answer to this yet other than nintendo? I read all the gaming news each morning & so many mixed readings and confusion on this. Marketing's worse nightmare is confusion, didn't nintendo learn this yet?

So my nephew and I who will be friends on the switch, we won't be able to voice chat in game on Splatoon 2 or Mario Kart 8 deluxe without having to have a cell phone app & cell phone in our laps?
This is correct. Unless something changes, this is the route they're going.

Oh, and without the subscription service, we won't be able to play online at all on the switch?
Also correct. It will be free when Splatoon launches, but will cost money soon after.

Does anyone really know the answer to this yet other than nintendo? I read all the gaming news each morning & so many mixed readings and confusion on this. Marketing's worse nightmare is confusion, didn't nintendo learn this yet?
They've been pretty clear in the overall approach with their new online service, it's only the smaller details they have yet to reveal. Better to get it straight from the source than from gaming "news" sites that dilute the info with speculation and opinion.

Leaked in-development UI:

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/5tsruy/leaked_indevelopment_ui_mockups/?st=iz4i28ch&sh=f49e5c42 more images on the reddit imgur link.

9d71xqA.png

6Z1EgXq.png

LmQdt4Y.png

Some things to note:

"

• There are NO plans to provide an Internet Browser at this stage but developers are able to access a web applet to display specific websites within their game/app
  • A maximum of 8 users can be registered on a system
  • Friend requests and game invites CAN be sent from the console. "

Let the game itself decide if it wants to block random voice chat. Don't block it on the hardware side. Best of both worlds.
Having it go through an app would likely complicate this, though. Nintendo is ultimately responsible for what happens on their hardware (and by extension their app), and people trust it to be kid-friendly. Even with the "Online Interactions Not Rated by the ESRB" disclaimer, the blame will still fall on them if something slips through the cracks. They're control freaks and unwilling to take the risk.

Plus, Splatoon players are the same people who came up with "sea bagging" an enemy when you kill them. In a children's game. I think Nintendo made the smart play here.

Since everyone else is arguing over nothing important: it's called "squid bagging", get it right. :p

Seriously though, I've been playing in Splatoon tournaments with teams run by & including kids...it's just awful. They do so much shit talking and cursing...my team of adults/late teens doesn't do this at all. I'm pretty sure kids came up with that term, as they're usually the only ones who do it. So, I'm sorry there is no included VC for those who want it but I'm glad I don't have to hear these types of kids and get berated with insults for not having VC on...just interacting with them to set up matches online is off putting enough..

Also: let's be real. While it should be included for the older crowd & locked behind parental controls for the younger crowd, the latter crowd's parents probably don't know about parental controls. The kids I play in tournaments with, I bet their parents don't know they're on teams with total strangers. Nintendo wants to avoid issues that would come from this kind of absent parenting.

Anyone else get an email from Best Buy stating that The Binding of Isaac got pushed back until 3/17?  Second time it's been pushed back. :cry:

Having it go through an app would likely complicate this, though. Nintendo is ultimately responsible for what happens on their hardware (and by extension their app), and people trust it to be kid-friendly. Even with the "Online Interactions Not Rated by the ESRB" disclaimer, the blame will still fall on them if something slips through the cracks. They're control freaks and unwilling to take the risk.

Plus, Splatoon players are the same people who came up with "sea bagging" an enemy when you kill them. In a children's game. I think Nintendo made the smart play here.
I can respect the fact that nintendo is looking out for the kids or at least trying to portray that kid friendly image. This is another differentiating factor that sets nintendo apart from sony and microsoft whether we gamers agree or not. That being said I think nintendo can find better solutions. If they can come up with penis recognizing software to detect & terminate miiverse drawings certainly they can come up with a better solution to communicating than having to deal with a phone app.

certainly they can come up with a better solution to communicating than having to deal with a phone app.
I hate this fact with what Nintendo is doing. I am pretty sure they would only support the 2 big smartphone OS's, so if you are not an IOS or android user, then you are out of luck.

(While I do have android devices, and an iPhone for work, they are not my primary device)

I hate this fact with what Nintendo is doing. I am pretty sure they would only support the 2 big smartphone OS's, so if you are not an IOS or android user, then you are out of luck.

(While I do have android devices, and an iPhone for work, they are not my primary device)
LIfe ain't fair. Life is tough.

:eek: I feel like the switch is the perfect realization of what the Vita could have been had Sony combined it with pstv.
Technically it's what Sony did with the PSP-Go and the PSP-Go Dock with a PS3 controller. It's a great idea and what initially got me interested in the Switch. PSTV & Vita was a step up but then you also have a major step down since some games just don't work on the PSTV. This is back to that whole PSP-GO idea mixed with actually still having physical media... adding on the whole kickstand/kiosk style mode.

It's also Nintendo's primary focus, whereas the PSP and Vita were never Sony's for better or worse.

bread's done
Back