Nintendo Switch Preorder Thread 2.0

Well, I don't think they gave up, as much as just never started with the Wii U. There where only maybe 1-2 titles they wanted to do, and Fatal Frame was one I believe. It was a no go, and since the system is all but over, I guess the effort for Wii U titles was a lost cause.

Here's the article where they discuss dropping the 3DS in favor of the NS, but nothing is concrete yet, so don't get to excited.

http://gadgets.ndtv.com/games/features/limited-run-s-josh-fairhurst-on-nintendo-switch-ps-vita-and-the-discovery-problem-of-digital-distrib-1650080
Reading through the article, that definitely seems to be the case. What a shame they gave up on 3DS titles. Would have liked the Phoenix Wright Triology on a cart. :/

Also: That system at Best Buy you mentioned was so abused...I can see why they got rid of it. I knew a few people who would just go in and exchange for different special editions...multiple special editions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm... so maybe Reggie wasn't kidding when he said it will be readily available at launch... scalpers must be starting to worry...

...which makes me wonder, will all the returned switches go straight back to nintendo to be sold as refurbs or will the stores sell them as new if they look unopened? I expect these will also lack any type of factory seal on the boxes.
Varies on store policies and Nintendo. If the box is unopened, it may make it back to the shelves. I'd assume most stores will send opened returns back to Nintendo.

Damn, thanks for the heads up. Happy that we're not only getting a physical release, but that it's also only $30. I thought it would be around $40.

Will also be getting it at GameStop for that cloth map. For me that freebie trumps the GCU discount.

Thanks again.
Not a problem. If you like collecting Has Been Heroes is GS exclusive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reading through the article, that definitely seems to be the case. What a shame about giving up on 3DS titles as well. Would have liked the Phoenix Wright Triology on a cart. :/

That system you mentioned was so abused...I can see why they got rid of it. I knew a few people who would just come in and exchange for different special editions...multiple special editions.
Yeah, the Phoenix Wright games where high on my list, and was for sure one of the titles Josh first mentioned wanting to do for the 3DS, but between Capcom & NoA, I knew that was a lost cause from the start. As both companies(at least their US divisions), are about as clueless as it gets in regards to fan/consumer wants.

Yeah, I never buy those extended warranties, and the only reason I bought it for the 360 was due to the RRoD, as it wasn't an issue of if it was going to break, but when. And since the sales person pretty much told me to trade up when the time came, I was happy to do it, as MS got really bad about fixing that issue later on down the road.

But yeah, I had a friend who upgraded all the time, and used it to his full advantage on the regular. He would actually wait for BB to have systems in stock, so he could buy under their exchange/repair program.

But yeah, I had a friend who upgraded all the time, and used it to his full advantage on the regular. He would actually wait for BB to have systems in stock, so he could buy under their exchange/repair program.
you could exchange it for the new one. If you brought it in, they would take it no matter what.
The BestBuy Warranty system is still abuse at least during last year.

They're just more strict about it more then before, I know people that swap 3DS units for New 3DS soon as they launched.

Hmm... so maybe Reggie wasn't kidding when he said it will be readily available at launch... scalpers must be starting to worry...

...which makes me wonder, will all the returned switches go straight back to nintendo to be sold as refurbs or will the stores sell them as new if they look unopened? I expect these will also lack any type of factory seal on the boxes.
All opened consoles get sent back per their agreement with the manufacturer. It's the same reason why you don't ever see open-item Bose headphones or Dyson vacuums. Some companies just don't want there to be a cheaper option available and prefer to get all opened stock back. It also keeps people from having their buddy buy a system, open it and return it so they can snap it up at a 10-15% discount.

Rumor has it that the Wii U version of the Breathe of the Wild has been leaked.

Souce: GoNintendo

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

The BestBuy Warranty system is still abuse at least time I knew.

They're just more strict about it more then before, I know people that swap 3DS units for New 3DS soon as they launched.

I was never aware they had removed the console warranty program.
The one time I brought that 360 in, they tried to give me a look, as I guess they had been running the new program for awhile at that point, but mine was under the old one, and they couldn't send it in to be checked, they just had to give me the slim. I don't even think I bought the new program for my slim, as it was RRoD free, and I figured the warranty would have expired before any real issues happened anyway.

Rumor has it that the Wii U version of the Breathe of the Wild has been leaked.
That normally happens within a few weeks of release, but I haven't followed that scene since the DS/Wii days.

Got a new email from GameStop, where I have my Switch preordered, just a heads up saying they're going to charge my card on the 25th. I am pretty excited!

I have never preorderd hardware from amazon before. I have prime and preorderd the charging grip and official case when it went up. I assumed it was like games that if you had prime it would be here on march 3rd. I got a email updating my delivery date to march 7. I only got the case because of the screen protector. Is it normal that they don't do release date delivery on official hardware accessories?

The motion control is one thing. But one of the other elements of the original Wiimote was the "pointer" functionality using IR sensors.

Of course, it was revealed that one of the two Joycons will in fact have a type of IR sensor on the end of it. With that in place, the two Joycons together could possibly behave identically to a Wiimote-nunchuck pairing. The lack of an IR sensor bar is really the only issue at that point. And adding a USB-powered sensor bar to the dock would be child's play.

So yeah, it's entirely possible that we will see some Virtual Console backwards compatibility with the Wii. I don't think we'll ever see Wii-U backwards compatible titles, thanks to the lack of second-screen functionality. But thanks to some of the Joycon-Wiimote parallels, I think Wii support on the Virtual console is possible/likely.
There are quite a few Wii U games where the second screen either doesn't add anything or just straight-up turns off (DKCR: Tropical Freeze springs to mind)

For others where it's just a menu (ie, Xenoblade Chronicles X) I could see a functionality that just makes you "switch" the screen you're looking at/controlling. But that's just wishful thinking.

From Emily Rogers' Twitter. The best selling games on Amazon. Pleasantly surprised about 1 2 Switch and Bomberman R. They're doing quite well. https://twitter.com/ArcadeGirl64/status/833891511079206912

C5KW7ZLUcAA-aLc.jpg

Most of the other titles aren't out yet, so you could say the same about the rest. It's still interesting that those titles are charting.
Not very. With the options for launch games being so few people will end up buying games they wouldn't have otherwise.

So as far as the Zelda leaks go right now: One person with a North American copy of the game is posting images of the costumes and the pirates have encrypted copies of the European version.

hm, I just read the feature in the new Game Informer which said there's no Epona and no invulnerable weapons, likely meaning no Master Sword (at least an equippable) which seemed really weird

I thought they had said in the past that there are a few weapons that won't break
Wait, isn't the master sword in the trailer?

There are quite a few Wii U games where the second screen either doesn't add anything or just straight-up turns off (DKCR: Tropical Freeze springs to mind)
Yes, for any of game of that ilk it would be possible to create a port. I don't think the Switch is going to have enough juice for software emulation of Wii U titles, so it is unlikely that those will show up on the Virtual Console. But a native port would be feasible.

Here's hoping we get a port of Mario Maker. The editing features wouldn't be usable in TV mode, but they would be just fine in handheld mode. (capacitive touch-screen)

Also, I already acquired a micro SDXC card for use with my pre-ordered Switch. It arrived a day or two ago. A 128 GB Samsung Evo+. Should do me until the larger sized cards come down in price.

Wait, isn't the master sword in the trailer?
Probably not actually equippable. Only shows up in cutscenes or something? I don't know, I'm just saying that's what was in the article.

Also, I already acquired a micro SDXC card for use with my pre-ordered Switch. It arrived a day or two ago. A 128 GB Samsung Evo+. Should do me until the larger sized cards come down in price.
Same. And honestly, it'll probably last the console's entire lifespan for me, as I think I bought a total of 4 or 5 3DS games from the Shop and a big fat zero for Wii U.

People just forget how small Nintendo games are, and how much they maximize their in-game assets. My Wii U was all digital, I had welllll over a hundred games (which includes some VC titles, but also most of Nintendo's first party Wii U titles) and used less than 200gb. A 128GB sd will last someone for quite a while. If doing a mix of physical and digital, potentially the whole system's lifespan.

People just forget how small Nintendo games are, and how much they maximize their in-game assets. My Wii U was all digital, I had welllll over a hundred games (which includes some VC titles, but also most of Nintendo's first party Wii U titles) and used less than 200gb. A 128GB sd will last someone for quite a while. If doing a mix of physical and digital, potentially the whole system's lifespan.
had 120 on my 3ds with a 16gb card and it wasnt even 25% filled

Yes, I'm not expecting to need to upgrade the SD card for quite a while. Especially because I prefer to get games physically when I can. All the same, it is clear that Nintendo intends to dapple more aggressively in downloadable content, so I didn't want to settle for a 64 GB card. The 128 GB cards are the current proper value balance between size and cost, especially if you're interested in not having to upgrade anytime soon. When you bump up to 256, that's when things start getting way too pricey.

I ran out of space on my Wii U, but I had a launch model white Wii U, which meant only 8 GB of built-in memory. A decently-sized USB thumb drive solved that problem. Inexpensive removable media is highly desirable for some of these devices, as it allows the user the option of scaling their memory to meet their needs, and consistently gets cheaper over time. I was very pleased to hear that the Switch would be using an industry-standard format like micro SDXC, instead of going the proprietary route that the Vita took. Getting 32 GB for the Vita is prohibitively expensive, even now. I got the 128 GB card for the Switch for $40. Two years from now, that price will be half of that or lower, and the 256 cards will likely be $40 - $50 each.

I hope for some crazy reason Best Buy sends me my Switch a day early. I have to leave for a wedding in Florida on the 3rd and am really hoping to bring Switch along for the trip.

I much prefer cartridges to discs, so I'm leaning more physical with Switch but we'll see. Nintendo could easily convince me to go all digital again if the savings are on point. The Deluxe Digital Promotion on the Wii U was golden. Especially since it gave you credit on free Club Nintendo games... even the ones that came free during the Mario Kart 8 promotion. "Here's a free retail game, and also another free $5 for the hell of it." Thanks Nintendo!

But I doubt anything like that happening again with the how My Nintendo has been going. Although I guess that is our my own fault for abusing the hell out of that system. I bought my $200 Wii U refurb when Mario Kart launched, got 4 CN codes for it, downloaded the four free games, and used the free credit from DDP to buy Shovel Knight. CAG heaven.

Is GameStop still doing the extra $75 trade in credit when trading a Wii U? Seems like they'll have units for walk-ins and I'm considering to trade my Wii U on launch if there are bonuses.

GS bundles need to DIAF.  So ridiculous. 

EDIT:

The Sandisk 200GB MicroSD card has been as cheap as $50, which was during BF this past year, though you can get it for around $60 right now with the "BIGTHANKS" promo that Amazon is running for today only. 

Beyond 200GB, pricing is ridiculous.   128GB @ $40 is $0.31/GB, where 200GB @ $60 is $0.30/GB, so it's comparable.  Even at $70, it is $0.35/GB, so it's not that far out of line from the 128GB card.   The 256GB card @ $140+ with it being $0.55+/GB is more than a little ridiculous. 

I am sort of relieved to see them announce officially that there should be some extras to be had in their stores.  It means I have a shot at one for launch.

Dumb question - I pre-ordered grey joy-cons since they were sold out of the neon ones.  I'd really like to have a set of grey and a set of neon in the end.  If somehow I land a console and it's grey, will they let me flip my joy-con pre-order from grey to neon even if it's paid in full?

I am sort of relieved to see them announce officially that there should be some extras to be had in their stores. It means I have a shot at one for launch.

Dumb question - I pre-ordered grey joy-cons since they were sold out of the neon ones. I'd really like to have a set of grey and a set of neon in the end. If somehow I land a console and it's grey, will they let me flip my joy-con pre-order from grey to neon even if it's paid in full?
Yes, assuming they have any

I'm sure nobody cares, but I cancelled my Switch PO after a lot of thought. It was going to be a day 1 buy for me, but now I'm going to wait until some titles hit. 

Cancelled the grey system, pro controller. Keeping my Zelda BOTW SE though. 

Snagging BOTW for Wii U, as I think that will eventually be collectible; I just don't see Nintendo making more copies of that. I also want to play the game and make more use out of the Wii U beyond Xenoblade and Mario Kart. 

To the Day 1 buyers: I hope you have a blast and fall in love with the Switch. I really like the system, a lot. I just feel the games aren't there, for me at least, right now. 

I'm sure nobody cares, but I cancelled my Switch PO after a lot of thought. It was going to be a day 1 buy for me, but now I'm going to wait until some titles hit.
(shrug) Hey man, this is Cheap Ass Gamer. Can't blame you for prioritizing value. Any experienced game buyer can tell you that early adoption/launch is technically the worst time to buy gaming hardware or software. If you want some good deals you have to wait. Being patient usually means you pay less, and have a better selection of inexpensive titles. Nothing wrong with that.

Though I will say I'm a little surprised at how many people seem to be pre-ordering the Zelda Special Edition. I know it will probably have a lower quantity run than some other special editions from some other developers/publishers. But still, what is in it that has everyone so hot and bothered? I just pre-ordered the regular edition of Breath of the Wild, and didn't have any real interest in the Special Edition. You're not the only person I've seen who is pre-ordering the Zelda Special Edition despite the fact that you don't intend to get the system at launch. What is in it that has you frothing to acquire it so badly?

I got my copy of the Zelda art book in the mail yesterday. 400+ pages of Zelda art, hardback, including the original illustrations of all of the enemies and bosses from the original game manuals. (a personal nostalgic favorite for me)

Though I will say I'm a little surprised at how many people seem to be pre-ordering the Zelda Special Edition. I know it will probably have a lower quantity run than some other special editions from some other developers/publishers. But still, what is in it that has everyone so hot and bothered? I just pre-ordered the regular edition of Breath of the Wild, and didn't have any real interest in the Special Edition. You're not the only person I've seen who is pre-ordering the Zelda Special Edition despite the fact that you don't intend to get the system at launch. What is in it that has you frothing to acquire it so badly?
I like the case.

bread's done
Back