Nintendo Switch Preorder Thread 2.0

This might actually be the root of the problem, as I know when I used to import "N" systems in the past, the cables where always super short, due the the standard living spaces in Japan being so small.

So they may have messed with the strength of the signal, to get longer battery life, not thinking about room sizes in other countries. While that's pretty dumb if true, it may explain things, and hopefully allow for a patch to fix this issue.

If not, they may have to do a HUGE send in "recall" campaign which is going to cost a shit ton, and kill any good word of mouth they stood to gain for the NS. But as we have seen in the past, shit happens!
Hmm, you bring a good point too. Nintendo developing with Japan in mind might actually be the root of the problem. They've already been this dumb before regarding a worldwide release: Look at how short the cables were for the NES Classic/Mini. As much as I love Nintendo, they can be a bit stupid at times. This might be one of those scenarios.

I really hope it's really just a case of increasing signal strength and range and that it will be fixed with a simple update. I just want Nintendo to confirm it soon so I can stop being worried.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmmm, I know I read that SK was getting the transfer treatment for free, but I can't find it anywhere. That FAQ is pretty telling and I coulda sworn it was in their FAQ info too. Oh well, I'll edit my previous post. Wouldn't surprise me if they changed it just like Nintendo changed their stance on wireless Bluetooth headsets for Switch. I already have Shovel Knight on X1 digital and Wii U retail(love the manual), so maybe I'll buy SK when it gets a discount on Switch
Regardless, if you haven't picked it up yet on any platform or want it on another now is the time to do it. 10 bucks is a steal and you end up with all of the content that they're going to be charging $25 for in March.

This might actually be the root of the problem, as I know when I used to import "N" systems in the past, the cables where always super short, due the the standard living spaces in Japan being so small.

So they may have messed with the strength of the signal, to get longer battery life, not thinking about room sizes in other countries. While that's pretty dumb if true, it may explain things, and hopefully allow for a patch to fix this issue.
Makes perfect sense....They probably thought "Hey, no one needs more than 3 feet between them and the system, The lowest power output is fine" when in actuality, at least from personal experience, it's common to have more than 10 feet between them and the TV. I have close to 11' in my living room. Now being Bluetooth, they "should" be firmware upgradeable, but did Nintendo leave that possibility open in firmware? Also, we don't know if it's an issue with the joycon or the system itself. Just mentioning a possibility with over a decade+ screwing around trying to get bluetooth devices to work.

Hi alls!

I was a Wii owner & purchased a few VC titles- will these transfer over to the Switch? 

Many thanks for any opinions!!

Doesn't Nintendo test stuff extensively before a major launch like the switch? Apparently not since the most basic of issue is popping up with these joycons. There's just so much packed into a small package with these I'm worried it might require more than a simple firmware update. If that's the case then any profits they might have made to start with is going to be turned negative. It's a shame but they asked for it if they didn't test these things extensively under blankets and everything else. No excuse. Wii U gamepad connectivity widespread issue was never resolved happens randomly no rhyme or reason. I just have to hard reset by holding power for 4 seconds & powering back up & all is fine. Happens just about every time I turn my Wii U on.

Hi alls!

I was a Wii owner & purchased a few VC titles- will these transfer over to the Switch?

Many thanks for any opinions!!
Probably not. It seems unlikely to happen with the Wii U, but still possible. Wii on the other hand, not much of a chance at all.

Makes perfect sense....They probably thought "Hey, no one needs more than 3 feet between them and the system, The lowest power output is fine" when in actuality, at least from personal experience, it's common to have more than 10 feet between them and the TV. I have close to 11' in my living room. Now being Bluetooth, they "should" be firmware upgradeable, but did Nintendo leave that possibility open in firmware? Also, we don't know if it's an issue with the joycon or the system itself. Just mentioning a possibility with over a decade+ screwing around trying to get bluetooth devices to work.
I'm at about 8' if I sit on one side of my couch, but to sit in the best position facing the TV, I'm at about 11' as well. Hell, even in Japan, there are places and homes that have bigger spaces, so while my theory is possible, can even "N" be that dim?

I know I always talk about how bad they have gotten in recent years, but even I find it hard to believe when stuff like this happens, that they could be that clueless, but sadly I'm proven right more often than not :wall:

Would explain the nes mini controllers being only 30 inches in length
Yeah, that's because they have become cheap bastards, as the OG NES was about 4x the length of the Famicom, and the US has always gotten AC Adapters, longer cables, and pack in games, when Japan never did, as back then, you had people at NoA who knew the market differences and had pull(or at least the respect of the heads in Japan), Howard Lincoln was the MAN!.

Now you just have "Yes" men, telling Japan their shit don't stink and flying high with whatever scheme they plot out overseas. The Mini should have had a longer cable, especially for what they where charging, but now they use Japan as the reference point for the business model worldwide, and often it's fine, but in certain situations, like no AC with the N3DS, it's about as dumb as it gets.

It seems to be a firmware issue to me. If the system is still detecting the controllers, then it's not losing the signal and it should be able to be fixed with a patch. Also if the issue is at the 10 foot mark, then it could be that the controllers are still in portable mode with a weaker signal than is necessary for it to work properly in TV mode.

Also the unboxing of the Pro Controllers made them look very nice and essential for TV play. I'll be keeping my pre-order.
Essential you say? And not included with the attractively priced $300 Switch system?

So there's no essential HDD, no essential portable charger, and no essential standard controller. Hmmmm.

I haven't see a negative preview of Zelda yet, and some of them are VERY positive. I'm so hyped! Next Wednesday is going to be interesting when the embargo lifts.

Anyone know the GB size? Time to order a new card I imagine.
You should be fine for launch without a new card.

Zelda is 13.4 GB

I can't imagine a racing game being more then 4gb or 5gb

The included memory on the switch has 32gb of internal memory.

Anyone know the GB size? Time to order a new card I imagine.
no idea either on the size, but I plan to drop a 128GB micro sdxc card that I picked up during black friday that i "was" going to use in my DSLR (with adapter) but then decided to leave it packaged up until switchmas.

7 days feels so far away....

I hate how BB does things with the constant verifying. Having to make sure there's double the cost of the switch in my bank account is troublesome.

Don't the joycons last roughly 20 hours? Even if they patched it in with a higher signal strength that took 5 hours off id still think 15 hours is a pretty good time frame. It'd more than last the average person on a single charge.
Lasting 5 minutes is more than the average person.

Essential you say? And not included with the attractively priced $300 Switch system?

So there's no essential HDD, no essential portable charger, and no essential standard controller. Hmmmm.
I didn't really expect them to include two controllers packed into the system. The joycons look fine for portable mode and a controller, but I'd much rather have the larger and more robust controller to play Zelda. I also like that I have the option to buy it or not as opposed to having something forced into the package that I might not want like what Microsoft did with their $500 Xbox One launch system.

I suspect external HDD support will come with a patch like it did with the PS4. The USB-C power adapter is the charger and the NS will charge with any standard USB-C cable like the one that comes with the Pro controller or MacBook.
---
Zelda's previews do look pretty great. I'll be playing OoT on my 3DS this weekend while I'm traveling for work and I'm really looking forward to being able to play Breath of the Wild on my next trip.

Pre ordered neon from BB on 1/13. Ready for store pick up on 03/03.

I preordered a neon switch from best buy right when they went live after the presentation and the order status still says WILL SHIP WHEN AVAILABLE. My friend ordered a neon switch as well after me and even had his payment denied for a bit and his says shipping March 3rd. Does anyone have the same problem or had something like this happen in the past? Im just curious to know if Ill be getting day one or way down the line. Thanks.

no idea either on the size, but I plan to drop a 128GB micro sdxc card that I picked up during black friday that i "was" going to use in my DSLR (with adapter) but then decided to leave it packaged up until switchmas.

7 days feels so far away....
Agreed. It looks like at launch i'll be getting snipperclips, fast rmx, Shovel knight, zelda, bomberman, and 1 2 switch. I got lucky and have a 256gb sdxc card from the note 7 fiasco. Looking forward to next Friday as well despite the issues they need to iron out.

Was there any info if you could use a USB drive in the dock as well for storage? Would be nice to have extra along with the micro sd card.
They said no at launch, but maybe down the line since they are conflicted about it hurting the purpose of the console

Agreed. It looks like at launch i'll be getting snipperclips, fast rmx, Shovel knight, zelda, bomberman, and 1 2 switch. I got lucky and have a 256gb sdxc card from the note 7 fiasco. Looking forward to next Friday as well despite the issues they need to iron out.
Speaking of Note 7, imagine if Switches started exploding, lol. Now THAT would be a nightmare that would be hard to recover from.

They said no at launch, but maybe down the line since they are conflicted about it hurting the purpose of the console
Ok thanks.

I'm still debating, should I buy two consoles or keep my extra joycon set and dock? The difference is only $100, I have both preordered. I'm leaning towards two consoles, possibly sell the system itself.

Speaking of Note 7, imagine if Switches started exploding, lol. Now THAT would be a nightmare that would be hard to recover from.
They're teetering on some possible disastrous issues at the moment. With every new issue that pops up before launch it just continues to scream not ready yet. As long as it plays games and I can use the pro controller for now while everything is sorted out I can patiently wait for everything to be fixed and features to be added.

Not sure how prevalent the sync issue is. Gamespot's live stream reported no sync problems across several systems. They also said Horizon felt very small compared to Zelda's world. That was a shocker to me.

Somehow MS survived the whole RROD issue... and Samsung survived the Note 7 issues. It would be a nightmare, but we've seen companies recover from some pretty horrible hardware before.

Not sure how prevalent the sync issue is. Gamespot's live stream reported no sync problems across several systems. They also said Horizon felt very small compared to Zelda's world. That was a shocker to me.
That's good to hear. I wonder if the issue is just something that happened with a few early units. It'll be interesting after the launch to see what the feedback here is when we have a larger sample of people to get feedback from.

I'm happy to hear that about Zelda. The world does look pretty wide open. As long as there's a lot to see and experience in that world, I'll be happy.

Samsung had nothing to recover from.   They've been making some of the best, most reliable mobile phones (and other electronics) for over two decades.  People are idiots. 

It was kind of crazy how MS did so well coming out of the RROD fiasco though.  Kids loved their Xboxes and couldn't imagine using a different alternative.  That issue should have caused far more damage than it did. 

We can at least thank them for all the advances they made with party chat, achievements, friends connectivity, and all-in-one media though; which paved the way for the modern convenient systems of today.  I love my PS4.  The XB1 is cool too. 

I'm considering canceling or returning Bomberman R. I pre-ordered the game, but have been hearing some not so great things about it from those that have played it and am thinking I may be better off with something like 1,2 Switch for my multiplayer game until I buy Mario Kart 8 for the second time. 

I'm considering canceling or returning Bomberman R. I pre-ordered the game, but have been hearing some not so great things about it from those that have played it and am thinking I may be better off with something like 1,2 Switch for my multiplayer game until I buy Mario Kart 8 for the second time.
I wonder if Snipperclps or that Fast BMX might be better multiplayer games (that are also cheaper) than 1,2.

I think it just depends on who you listen to on bomber man. The other thing to keep in mind is what type of build have they been letting people play or if things were discovered as an issue if they will patch them. I also second that fast rmx and snipperclips appear to be good multiplayer entry games for the switch. Alot of positive things have been said about them thus far.

What have you've been hearing about Bomberman R?

I heard a case of a slow downs last week from one person but I've haven't heard anything beyond that.

I want to know if there's some sort of setting where you can set the camera to fixed in Bomberman.  The several minutes of gameplay I watched with the weird floating, constantly adjusting camera made me think it would make me sick.  I love Bomberman. 

I think it just depends on who you listen to on bomber man. The other thing to keep in mind is what type of build have they been letting people play or if things were discovered as an issue if they will patch them. I also second that fast rmx and snipperclips appear to be good multiplayer entry games for the switch. Alot of positive things have been said about them thus far.
I've heard some issues of slowdown and just lack of gameplay options outside of the multiplayer and for the price it's a bit disappointing that the game seems to be pretty bare bones for $50, but I do enjoy me some Bomberman.

I wonder if Snipperclps or that Fast BMX might be better multiplayer games (that are also cheaper) than 1,2.
I plan on buying Snipper Clips day one and will probably also get Fast RMX as well. I want to have at least two physical titles though and Zelda is obviously one of those for me. I am sad that Binding of Issac was pushed back because that was a first day purchase for me. I also have to leave the state for a wedding and will be in a car for 14+ hours, while I am not driving I hope to have my Switch in time to update the console and take it on the road with me, otherwise I will be losing my mind at this wedding counting the minutes down that we drive back home so I can obtain my console. Being an adult really sucks sometimes and my wife's friends love to plan things at the absolute worst time for me.

I plan on buying Snipper Clips day one and will probably also get Fast RMX as well. I want to have at least two physical titles though and Zelda is obviously one of those for me. I am sad that Binding of Issac was pushed back because that was a first day purchase for me. I also have to leave the state for a wedding and will be in a car for 14+ hours, while I am not driving I hope to have my Switch in time to update the console and take it on the road with me, otherwise I will be losing my mind at this wedding counting the minutes down that we drive back home so I can obtain my console. Being an adult really sucks sometimes and my wife's friends love to plan things at the absolute worst time for me.
You should have asked them to push their wedding back and explained that the Switch was coming out. I'm sure they would've understood. Weddings happen every day of the year, and most people get married multiple times throughout their life.

Switch launch though? That's once in a lifetime.

bread's done
Back