Nintendo Switch Preorder Thread 2.0

It also launched along side one of the best games ever made, so I'm sure that didn't hurt. I'll be curious to see how well it does from April-October, when there isn't a Zelda pushing sales.
I suspect that it'll do fine in the Spring and Summer with the release of Kart and Splatoon.

Regular filter can scratch, while premium is supposed to be thicker and supposedly scratch proof. I bought the $9.99 one and it works and looks fine.
Just to add to that I think people were reporting issues with the premium vs the regular.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some of you must own stock in a screen protector company.  I just don't see the need.  

When I hear people have scratched screens already all that comes to mind is that some people treat their stuff like sht. Just look at the used crap at Gamestop or rent a game on REdbox enough times and you'll find one with sticky pop  residue all over the case, and evidence that the disc itself was used (as) a temporary ashtray and a cum-filled dirty kleenex holder after they used it to snort a few lines of coke  with a metal straw.  

I don't usually get screen protectors and probably won't for this either, but I think this could be a design flaw similar to how 3ds screens scratched themselves. Not a case of bad treatment.  Haven't even used mine to see how easily it might scratch, but I will definitely put some sort of padding in there unless nintendo comes out with its own free fix.

It's not that big of an issue. The Switch's screen is glass, and is therefore fairly resistant to scratching. It is considerably more resistant than the DS line of handhelds, which all had pressure-sensitive plastic screens. (and ABSOLUTELY needed screen protectors) There's also the reduced need for touching the screen. I'm sure there will be more games in the future that utilize the touchscreen more extensively, but for now it's not that big a deal.

One thing I notice is that the touchscreen on the Switch has a texture that makes it a bit more difficult to swipe your finger across it smoothly. For most games this isn't an issue, as poking at the screen works just fine. But I could see it becoming a problem with Fruit-Ninja style games. I'm going ahead with the tempered glass screen protector I ordered. The one I got for my smartphone looks and feels great. It is crystal clear and has a silky-smooth texture that makes it very easy to touch the screen. I wouldn't mind having something like that on my Switch. Scratches and damage to a screen protector is easily remedied. Scratches and damage to the unit itself is quite a bit more costly to address. That's why I usually employ screen protectors. That, and the fact that I collect these systems and love to have them in pristine condition, even after years of use.

It's not that big of an issue. The Switch's screen is glass, and is therefore fairly resistant to scratching. It is considerably more resistant than the DS line of handhelds, which all had pressure-sensitive plastic screens. (and ABSOLUTELY needed screen protectors) There's also the reduced need for touching the screen. I'm sure there will be more games in the future that utilize the touchscreen more extensively, but for now it's not that big a deal.

One thing I notice is that the touchscreen on the Switch has a texture that makes it a bit more difficult to swipe your finger across it smoothly. For most games this isn't an issue, as poking at the screen works just fine. But I could see it becoming a problem with Fruit-Ninja style games. I'm going ahead with the tempered glass screen protector I ordered. The one I got for my smartphone looks and feels great. It is crystal clear and has a silky-smooth texture that makes it very easy to touch the screen. I wouldn't mind having something like that on my Switch. Scratches and damage to a screen protector is easily remedied. Scratches and damage to the unit itself is quite a bit more costly to address. That's why I usually employ screen protectors. That, and the fact that I collect these systems and love to have them in pristine condition, even after years of use.
The Switch screen isn't glass, though. It's capacitive touch, but it's still a plastic screen. Hence dock scratching and whatnot being actual issues people are concerned about.

Some of you must own stock in a screen protector company. I just don't see the need.

When I hear people have scratched screens already all that comes to mind is that some people treat their stuff like sht. Just look at the used crap at Gamestop or rent a game on REdbox enough times and you'll find one with sticky pop residue all over the case, and evidence that the disc itself was used a temporary ashtray and a cum-filled dirty kleenex holder after they used it to snort a few lines of coke with a metal straw.
I've been putting screen protectors on my phones and tablets for as long as touch screen phones have been out. A $7 screen protector is a small price to pay for peace of mind.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

It's not that big of an issue. The Switch's screen is glass,
The Switch screen isn't glass, though. It's capacitive touch, but it's still a plastic screen. Hence dock scratching and whatnot being actual issues people are concerned about.
Worth a watch and very informative on the durability the Switch.
I can see why Nintendo went with the plastic screen at the same time the dock is a huge design flaw.

Makes me wonder if earlier in development the screens were suppose to be glass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJP6gERPmMk

Worth a watch and very informative on the durability the Switch.
I can see why Nintendo went with the plastic screen at the same time the dock is a huge design flaw.

Makes me wonder if earlier in development the screens were suppose to be glass.
lol. Not worth it. IT's just a guy drawing on the screen (and the rest of the Switch) with a hard sharp instrument. And I have 2 Switches, both work great, both have been used alot since launch by 2 older kids who have taken them out and put them back in the dock numerous times and I don't see any scratches. But maybe they aren't doing it right.

It surprises me that no one noticed this or the joy con desync issue during the pre-launch events or just decided to sweep it under the rug and hope that no one notices after launch.
This issue mostly deals with distance from the unit, as well as potential "blocking" of the signal. Those events are well planned to give the best experience, and a very controlled environment. Everyone used the joy-cons very close to the unit, and in that situation there was probably no interference issues.

There are still a lot of factors to this that are just unknowns. Of course the antenna seems the main issue, but some people play from great distance with no issues, so there may be other factors in the home that can cause problems. If the NS went through proper testing though, all of these issues should have been caught before hand.

I thought the day one patch was supposed to fix the screen scratching issue?

Amazon is taking forever sending me my switch screen protectors. Does anyone know the quality of the official screen protector kit from PDP?

Thanks.

quote name="whoknows" post="13655511" timestamp="1488939467"]

According to Amazon reviews it's awful and doesn't fit right.[/quote]

Finished with decorating my Master Sword display! The fake moss, fake leafs, and fake rocks were only $1/pack at Dollar Tree!

Just need to find a light to put on top. Using a cell phone with flash on to see how it looks.

Pics- http://imgur.com/a/t7160

YXYemyd.jpg

Finished with decorating my Master Sword display! The fake moss, fake leafs, and fake rocks were only $1/pack at Dollar Tree!

Just need to find a light to put on top. Using a cell phone with flash on to see how it looks.

Pics- http://imgur.com/a/t7160
Alright, can I send you $200 + zelda ME for your display?

That truly looks amazing, if Nintendo had this display within the store I wouldn't believe that it was a old Nike display.

Well I thought about just ordering the Hori  screen protector since itll be a few weeks until the glass ones come in stock, they have been updated to shipping within 1-2 months

Thanks for the info. Surprised Hori's premium one is so bad. Even the regular one is 4 stars. Expect more from Hori.

How long after applying the screen protector did you wait to place it in the dock? Curious because most have a curing process that takes the better part of a day to bond. Could just also have been the bond that company personally used as well.
Ha, so I guess I'll go with the glass one after all then. Will just wait a day for it to completely dry.

Pics- http://imgur.com/a/t7160

YXYemyd.jpg
Looks freaking sweet. Great job. (I was the 420th view. Ha.)

Btw, is that a new N64? The box looks immaculate. The Atomic Purple controller set takes me back to my childhood.

And Dreamcast ftw.

As someone that prefers Playstation and after spending all my gaming time with the Switch, I think this is exactly what a Vita 2.0 should have been. I'm loving the handheld mode so much I haven't even played it docked yet.

I finally got around to opening my NS today and after playing 1/2 switch & bomberman, I'm a bit disappointed.  It just seems another nintendo gimmicky device.  The hardware and controllers feels very fragile and cheap.  I'm having buyer's remorse, as there are so many great games on ps4 that I have already bought and can not even find the time to play. My kids are pc gamers and the little one just don't really understand how to use the gimmicky joycons.  I'm hoping my perception would change if/when I ever find the time to start my zelda adventure.  

As someone that prefers Playstation and after spending all my gaming time with the Switch, I think this is exactly what a Vita 2.0 should have been. I'm loving the handheld mode so much I haven't even played it docked yet.
I feel the same way. I play Horizon Zero Dawn on the PS4 till I get tired then lay down and play Zelda on the Switch in handheld mode till I fall asleep. I've yet to play it on the TV and I've had it since launch.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I finally got around to opening my NS today and after playing 1/2 switch & bomberman, I'm a bit disappointed. It just seems another nintendo gimmicky device. The hardware and controllers feels very fragile and cheap. I'm having buyer's remorse, as there are so many great games on ps4 that I have already bought and can not even find the time to play. My kids are pc gamers and the little one just don't really understand how to use the gimmicky joycons. I'm hoping my perception would change if/when I ever find the time to start my zelda adventure.
Pack it up and return it to the store, and sale your games online, or just sale the whole bundle on Craig's list or Ebay for probably a few bucks over what you paid.

I'm sure I'll be getting one for my sons Christmas gift, as he wants one bad, but for me, I'm pretty sure unless they offer some insane deal, I'm waiting on a revision, or a more portable unit. I don't plan to use this in TV mode, so the extra cost of the dock is a waste to me. Also while overall it looks nice, it just seems to have some not so well thought out ideas, and the execution seems questionable on a few things.

I've always found their second revisions of handhelds to be great improvements on the originals, so I can always use my sons down the road if some decent games show up, but I would rather wait for a system that has it's shit together, and a cheaper price tag is also a must.

I think playing going back and forth between zelda on the big screen and handheld mode really sold me on it. The game is incredibly engrossing on the big screen with surround sound.

While the joycons certainly aren't ideal, they are absolutely functional. I bought Shovel knight, and have spent several hours playing it on the tv with the grip, handheld, and even in tabletop with a joycon held sideways. I'm honestly shocked at how well each playstyle works. I was able to clear the first campaign using arrow buttons for inputs, and it was honestly quite comfortable. Yesterday I cleared the main tower challenge in specter knight's campaign using the joycon held sideways with the analog stick. After a brief period of adjustment, I've found all the playstyles to be quite serviceable.

That being said, a 'used like new' pro controller popped up on amazon from warehouse deals for 61.99 with a description 'factory sealed', so I hopped on it. worst case scenario its busted and I have to send it back.

I understand the need for profitability, but I don't understand why the joy con grip that comes with the unit is not charge capable.

They expect you to pay an additional $30 to just get a rechargeable grip.

That really sucks and it shows me that Nintendo is just greedy. I know they all are. Xbox not including a headphone jack. But at least all of the others always included a basic function of rechargabiliy, even if Xbox didn't come with rechargeable connection.

I don't like having to use the console to charge itself and on a separate charge, charge the joy-con.

My hopes were to use the cheaper pro controller while I charged the j-c. That's impossible under the as shipped switch.

The joy cons charge when docked or the switch is plugged in and have an impressive battery life. The charging grip is just retail bait for the grandmas

I am personally absolutely loving the Switch and I really didn't expect to this much. I really really love the Joy Cons but I have "average" hands as my girlfriend would say and one of my favorite controllers is the Xbox S controller on the original Xbox. I'm actually kinda sad that we don't have any other AAA titles on the Switch because I would definitely buy them! 

I completely agree with people being upset that the Joy Con grip is not being rechargeable, a non rechargeable version shouldn't exist period. 

The joy cons charge when docked or the switch is plugged in and have an impressive battery life. The charging grip is just retail bait for the grandmas
Think about what you just said, you're saying it's okay that the controller isn't chargeable while the console is being played. The fact I have to buy an out of box accessory to charge my controllers while playing the dame things is inexcusable and unprecedented. At least with the 360 you could just replace the batteries if you didn't have the play and charge kit. (Which it should have came with too!)

Probably returning mine today as I'm seeing scratches on the black part of the glass screen. I have no idea how they are getting there since I'm babying this thing Everytime I put it in the dock. Pissed that I'll lose my Zelda save. Ridiculous that I have to be forced to pay for a screen protector to keep this thing in a good condition.

Probably returning mine today as I'm seeing scratches on the black part of the glass screen. I have no idea how they are getting there since I'm babying this thing Everytime I put it in the dock. Pissed that I'll lose my Zelda save. Ridiculous that I have to be forced to pay for a screen protector to keep this thing in a good condition.
The screen is actually plastic-coated. Presumably they went with that for shatter-resistance over scratch-resistance.

how can you return it ...i never knew they take them back?.....

Looking at the docking station I see no reason u can't run a male-female USB c and place the console on a stand.
I'm ordering a 3 foot cable and give it a try.
I don't have a 4K TV and I don't have 20-20 eyesight even with glasses, but I'm giving it a try.
I got a stand cheap from a SD post. I don't expect that the cable will ever go on sale. It's not a commonly used item.

how can you return it ...i never knew they take them back?.....
To my knowledge, unless things have changed, systems can always be returned within a store return window. Games once opened can't be returned unless defective, and they will be replaced with the same item, but no refunds. But system can always be returned for a refund.

I finally got around to opening my NS today and after playing 1/2 switch & bomberman, I'm a bit disappointed. It just seems another nintendo gimmicky device. The hardware and controllers feels very fragile and cheap. I'm having buyer's remorse, as there are so many great games on ps4 that I have already bought and can not even find the time to play. My kids are pc gamers and the little one just don't really understand how to use the gimmicky joycons. I'm hoping my perception would change if/when I ever find the time to start my zelda adventure.
Getting a Switch and playing any other launch title before Zelda is a big no no. Zelda is one of my favorite Zelda games and one of my favorite games of all time. I do get hand aches with the joycon. The pro controller is really nice - it stacks up with DS4 and Xbox controller in terms of quality. But if you don't love the Switch I'd sell it on eBay and get more cash for all the great PS4 games out right now.

Sigh as there is no option for Bluetooth headphones on the Switch. Unless I am missing it?

Have Bluetooth headphones for my commute to use for the Ipad and Samsung Galaxy Pro.

Luckily I still have a wired set that I use for the 3DS. The volume level on the Switch with headphones is very quiet.

bread's done
Back