Nintendo to announce mystery sequel soon

jkam

CAGiversary!
Feedback
261 (100%)
http://gonintendo.com/?p=11850

Okay guys, here’s your big story to discuss as I head to bed. The latest issue of Nintendo Dream states that the sequel to a famous series is going to be announced soon. I picked the story up from Gamefront, which has it listed in their Wii section. The magazine gives absolutely no info on what the game may be. Hell, the game might not even be from Nintendo for all we know (but I’ll bet that it is). I’ll take a few guesses before I leave the fun to you guys.

Pikmin
Nintendogs
Kid Icarus
Startropics

UPDATE - Thought I would add the Google translation for you guys.

Nintendo Dream: “Successor of famous series is soon revealed” 18.01.07 - Japanese Nintendo Dream it announces in its newest expenditure that soon the successor of a famous series is revealed. With details the magazine holds back itself.

Now it’s your turn! I’ll catch you guys later today, once I wake up. I can’t wait to see what you come up with! Have a great morning everyone.

I hope its either Nights 2 or a new Kid Icarus.

I still say that making a more mature Kid Icarus ala Metroid Prime would (if properly marketed) be the killer "Mature" app that they need.

If the translation is accurate as far as "series" goes, that rules out a lot of one-hit wonders like Kid Icarus. But we'll see. Or this rumor will dry up and we won't see.

I dont see how mature a guy with angel wings can get.

Anyone remember Messiah?
messiahscreen001zr3.jpg

Im going to have to go with Kid Icarus, seeing as how hes back in the spotlight thanks to the new super smash bros coming out.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']I dont see how mature a guy with angel wings can get.

Anyone remember Messiah?
messiahscreen001zr3.jpg
[/quote]

God of War + Mixed (winged/ground) combat
That's my main line of thinking.

[quote name='SpottedNigel']God of War + Mixed (winged/ground) combat
That's my main line of thinking.[/QUOTE]

But that would be a completely different game, and put off legions of Nintendo fans. I know I wouldnt want Kid Icarus to change to a "mature" format.

[quote name='rodeojones903']But that would be a completely different game, and put off legions of Nintendo fans. I know I wouldnt want Kid Icarus to change that a "mature" format.[/quote]Like Metroid? ;)

Any sequel to a game that hasn't been worked on since the NES days will be drastically different.

[quote name='botticus']Like Metroid? ;)

Any sequel to a game that hasn't been worked on since the NES days will be drastically different.[/QUOTE]

Metroid really didnt change to a "mature" format though. It just went from 2d to 3d. Changing Kid Icarus to a God of War clone just seems odd.

I'm 100% sure it'll be something stupid... as someone already said, most likely another Mario Sports game (probably Kart).

[quote name='rodeojones903']But that would be a completely different game, and put off legions of Nintendo fans. I know I wouldnt want Kid Icarus to change that a "mature" format.[/quote]

Much like the NES Metroid (and sequels), Kid Icarus was very dark. Honeslty, outside of them going in the completely wrong direction of having bouncing smiling eggplants, I cant see Icarus going any other way then "older".

Let me edit my earlier comment a bit.
"Mixed (winged/ground) combat" as it says. Wether that means full flight levels, or limited hovering ability, I dont know.
God of War - Mythology, action, character. The boobs and uber violence can be left out.

I can certainly see a new Kid Icarus going the more mature route. Not blood and guts, but something with a style reminiscent of Rygar or God of War would not be crazy. Or, they could go the completely stylized route and make it cel-shaded cartoon mythology, which might also be fun. There's probably very little middle ground there, however.

I would kill for a proper Gumshoe remake. Like a wicked sophisticated detective story or something but with out the "shoot me and I'll jump" control scheme. Alas, we all know whatever they announce will be wicked lame.

[quote name='fivecardstud']punchout would be sweet... but im betting its a new "mother" game

...with mii's[/QUOTE]

...only for Japan. Mother 4: Haha, You Live in the U.S. and Can't Read our Moonspeak Edition

[quote name='javeryh']I would kill for a proper Gumshoe remake. Like a wicked sophisticated detective story or something but with out the "shoot me and I'll jump" control scheme. Alas, we all know whatever they announce will be wicked lame.[/QUOTE]

Gumshoe with a standard control scheme?

fuck you. ;)

[quote name='BIG5']Why Punchout? Boxing is the worst part of Wii sports. I don't see a lot of potential for a great game there.[/QUOTE]

The exact mechanics for Punchout would be different: the types of punches, the game speed, etc. Wii Boxing was one way to simulate the sport.

Besides, a lot of people love boxing the most. I know my girlfriend and her sister do. I put it top three for sure. And a lot of people on this board love it too... you just have to understand how the game works to get the enjoyment and feel it's not "broken" or "unresponsive." It's not free form, but that would have it's own logistical issues.

I would actually sort of like an Urban Champion update. It could be an RPG-style beat-'em-up deal where you have to earn your place as the baddest dude in town by roughing up street toughs, macking on all the honeys and maintaining your public image in a Warriors/West Side Story sort of exaggerated fantasy cityscape. It could be like River City Ransom for the Wii, without the "Ransom" part.

Anyway, this is not the most exciting choice for a sequel to pine for but I'd love Mario Golf for the Wii. First thing I said when I played Wii Sports Golf was that I wanted a game that felt just like that but was full-featured, with multiple courses, upgradeable clubs, etc., and Super Swing absolutely did not deliver.

[quote name='BIG5']Why Punchout? Boxing is the worst part of Wii sports. I don't see a lot of potential for a great game there.[/QUOTE]

Opinions all I hear is opinions! I loved the Boxing and its the only portion of the sports package I have actually beaten.

New game in the Star Tropics series? Yes plz.

Speaking of which, I can't wait for those games to come on the VC. So so fun.

I'd place my money on Mario Kart or Animal Crossing. Both are definitely "series". We do know that AC is in development but maybe they'll announce a release window.

Kid Icarus also seems likely.

I was just about to guess Animal Crossing. The true sequel is long overdue, and it's a game that's bound to make good (check that--outstanding) use of the WiiConnect features and really draw the 'non-gamers' even further in.

Neither Star Tropics Games, nor Super Punch Out!!! were ever released in Japan, and the first Punch Out!!! was only released as part of some special promotion, so you can write those both off.

Lets think about this, a popular series of video game that many would like to see on Wii, well if I remember correctly NES was the one who had brought Final Fantasy into the video game world, as I have already heard rumors about them bringing it back.

Chances are it is Animal Crossing, Pikmin or Zelda.

Although I would like to see Startropics because that is one of the few games that could actually be better than Zelda (I really enjoyed this game as you can see).

Let's also not forget about the completely mysterious Super Mario RPG game that appeared as almost an afterthought at E3 and then pretty much returned to Limbo as quickly as it was announced.

[quote name='jollydwarf']Let's also not forget about the completely mysterious Super Mario RPG game that appeared as almost an afterthought at E3 and then pretty much returned to Limbo as quickly as it was announced.[/QUOTE]

Are you talking about Super PAPER Mario?

My totally out there guess: Battleclash 3 (yes, there was a Battleclash 2, Metal Combat). Incorporate a beam saber into the mix and you've got a mature game that doesn't necessairly overly violent that could bring in a lot of gamers who have passed on the Wii due to it's kiddy content. A mech battling game would rock everyone's socks. I also wouldn't mind seeing a new Doshin the Giant game too, especially if we get the original in the United States.

But yeah, I bet it'll be Pikmin. We know about Animal Crossing already and it seems too soon for another Zelda already. Considering how universally popular Wii Boxing is with casual gamers though, I could see it being Punch Out.

I know that the odds of it being another Earthbound are somewhere between winning 4 consecutive jackpots by matching 40 numbers with a range of values between 1 and 47,000, and having repeated anal sex with an all swedish group of models while striking oil on top of a diamond mine, but if it were Earthbound 4 with ALL the previous Earthbounds as a bonus on the disc, with a strategy guide and a retrospective; I would fall to my knees and praise whatever God I could, then sell every other system I have in gratefullness.

[quote name='judyjudyjudy']I want a sequel to my favorite game on the Gamecube: Pikmin. I'm looking forward to one with the Wii controls.[/quote]

I think this is the last game that was so addictive for me that I would stay up until 3, 4 AM to play it...I haven't played Pikmin 2, but I bought it...can't wait to get to it, I hope it's as good as the original.

bread's done
Back