Nintendo Wii: In stores Jan. 6th @ Wal-Mart (YMMV)

DustoMan

CAGiversary!
My supervisor has a second job at Wal-Mart in the electronics department. He said that they have been holding Wiis all week in preparation for this Sunday's ad. They have 18 in the back room at the moment. He works @ a Wal-Mart in Western Wisconsin. Wal-Mart may have different ads for different regions so I'll mark this post, YMMV. But it wouldn't hurt to give you local Wal-Mart a call on Sunday morning.

True, I work there in electronics, we had 19 in the holding room, now we have 18 :p.

Minimum 6 per store, but most have 14-24 according to inventory.

In the ads today I got a WalMart ad that starts on the 6th and it has the Wii in it... so he's definitely telling the truth.

[quote name='Dragonsbane']Damn i thought this was going to be some sort of wii time keeping device. :([/QUOTE]

ditto... i thought it was kind of like one of these:

mariowatch02.jpg

A whopping 3 at the Wallingford, CT location. Not sure if they are selling at midnight or 7am as It's a 24 hour store.

[quote name='zenintrude']ditto... i thought it was kind of like one of these:

mariowatch02.jpg
[/quote]
LOL! Sorry, I was trying to be clever with the thread title. I didn't mean to confuse anyone. :oops: I changed it.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']A whopping 3 at the Wallingford, CT location. Not sure if they are selling at midnight or 7am as It's a 24 hour store.[/quote]
Yeah mine is the same they said they had 3. I though wow thats enough... A friend that works there claimed they was going to put them out 7 in the morning. It is a 24 hour walmart as well. Either way I'm going at 12 at night just to make sure. I wish they would put them out then I'm more of a night person anyway instead of a 7 in the morning type of guy :D

[quote name='dank']i dont understand how its still so hard to get[/QUOTE]

I think it's because people are buying them :whistle2:k

I really doubt if I'm able to get one along two,but If I'm able to get 2 I'll sale one on here for what I paid for it to someone that wants it. Unlike the bs prices on ebay.

I think it's because people are buying them

Well, I think it's because Nintendo and the retailers are working this symbotic relationship of a (finely-balanced) manufactured shortage, keeping the thing just elusive enough to get more people off that fence, to get more foot traffic through the doors, along with the inevitable hoarding assholes and the genuine-but-largely-trendiness-based demand from the general public. That's what I think.

P.S. My friend is now a victim of the 'Mii-Too' phenomenon, but because he's too cool to linesit, I've kind of 'volunteered'* to help him out. Will Random Electronics Dept. Clerk really offer up any solid info on the number allotted to their store, let alone confirm that they even have 'em? Judging by the exchange between the geriatric woman and the gangly, bespectacled teen "Blue Shirt" yesterday, I get the impression employees are programmed to deny knowledge at every turn. "We have no idea. We have no idea. We have no--" (manager lightly elbows small of employee's back) "Was there anything else I might help you with today, ma'am?"

*--Read: been duped.

[quote name='jollydwarf']I think it's because people are buying them

Well, I think it's because Nintendo and the retailers are working this symbotic relationship of a (finely-balanced) manufactured shortage, keeping the thing just elusive enough to get more people off that fence, to get more foot traffic through the doors, along with the inevitable hoarding assholes and the genuine-but-largely-trendiness-based demand from the general public. That's what I think.

P.S. My friend is now a victim of the 'Mii-Too' phenomenon, but because he's too cool to linesit, I've kind of 'volunteered'* to help him out. Will Random Electronics Dept. Clerk really offer up any solid info on the number allotted to their store, let alone confirm that they even have 'em? Judging by the exchange between the geriatric woman and the gangly, bespectacled teen "Blue Shirt" yesterday, I get the impression employees are programmed to deny knowledge at every turn. "We have no idea. We have no idea. We have no--" (manager lightly elbows small of employee's back) "Was there anything else I might help you with today, ma'am?"

*--Read: been duped.[/quote]

At my store managment has told us to tell everyone that we will be getting some soon but we don't know when and we're not supposed to say that we actually do have some in the store. I've been telling everyone I know that we've got some but the other guys that work there are just saying they don't know anything and that we don't have any. On the telxon I can see how many every store within 100 miles has, and the lowest ammount I saw was 14 and the highest I saw was 24, but other people in the thread have said only 3, so the 14-24 must not be to uniform accross the nation.

24 Hour Wal-marts will be selling them at 12:01 AM Sunday Morning....and there WILL be a line (often long). This is how its been goin at Walmart for a while now, people will often start the line at around 10:30 p.m. Sat. night.

..And for the last time, does every Wii thread on here have to turn into a dissection/analysis of Nintendo's marketing strategy? The thread was started to alert those who are still searching that they may be able to get them tonight at Walmart.

Whether you agree or disagree, Nintendo's strategy currently works, the proof is in the premium prices the Wii still generates...any further discussion should be taken to the Wii Message Board.

I hate Nintendo. Seriously - this is just f'd up marketing now. Two Christmas seasons pass by and they still won't increase production.

[quote name='nikkai']I hate Nintendo. Seriously - this is just f'd up marketing now. Two Christmas seasons pass by and they still won't increase production.[/quote]

Nintendo makes and sells over 1.2 million Wiis each month now--which is literally making 1 Wii every 2 seconds. I can't even type Nintendo Wii in under two seconds!

They have already bumped up production once. To bump up production again would require another factory to be built. Obviously at some point everybody that wants a Wii will have one and they will be on store shelves for more than 24 hours. Nintendo is not a stupid company and is not going to build or buy an entire factory just to make more Wiis when chances are very good that sometime this year there would no longer be the demand to keep the factory in business.

[quote name='nikkai']I hate Nintendo. Seriously - this is just f'd up marketing now. Two Christmas seasons pass by and they still won't increase production.[/quote]

They have increased production?

They can't control the increased demand though?

They increased production, 1.8 million a month is a lot of units, but they have supply the whole world, not just us, there is just a lot of people that want it, I saw lines 100 deep at EVERY Target, BB, TRU etc.. a couple of Sundays before christmas, and I have ALOT of those stores in my area, and every one of them was like that. If nintendo opened more factories, in a couple months the supply would reach demand, and they would have to close the factories and lay off the people , that's not a good way to run a business

[quote name='nikkai']I hate Nintendo. Seriously - this is just f'd up marketing now. Two Christmas seasons pass by and they still won't increase production.[/QUOTE]

why are you singling out nintendo? sony does the same thing with the psp slim.

The only company that doesnt screw over the little guy is microsoft.

Hmm, on second thought, stac. wang, softimage et all might have something to say about that.

ON topic, at first i thought this might be one of the wii systems that have the different color. i thought there was a zelda or mario kart color coming out.

[quote name='dank']i dont understand how its still so hard to get[/quote]

Agreed! Last Sunday I went to my Target in Denton, TX and they had 12 Wiis behind the glass door. It was like 3pm and I could tell that they had only sold 1 Wii all day long :roll:

the long lines always baffle me. Why do people forget about gamestop/EB? They dont get them in every day, but if you put $50 down to preorder one, you they will call you when it comes in and you have 48 hours to pick it up before it goes on the shelves. No, they wont get them in every day, you would have to wait a few days most likely.

I guess people would rather go to walmart at 12midnight on a saturday night and wait in line and probably get assed out and not even get one???

the long lines always baffle me. Why do people forget about gamestop/EB? They dont get them in every day, but if you put $50 down to preorder one, you they will call you when it comes in and you have 48 hours to pick it up before it goes on the shelves. No, they wont get them in every day, you would have to wait a few days most likely.

Really?? They're taking deposit-first preorders for them at EBGamestop? I haven't set foot in one since I secured my Wii at launch last year, but I thought that I would've heard more about that, via this site, Kotaku, etc. That's a pretty big deal, being able to effectively end the hunt with only minimal effort. I can't imagine they held that policy over this past holiday season, especially since their "Wii certificate" offer was such big news.

Maybe it's a few stores doing something not in line with corporate. (Shrugs)

And concerning those with "I see them all the time!" or "I saw a dozen at my Mega-Mart!" anecdotes, please realize...they're just that. Anecdotes. Just as likely to be statistical flukes as indicative of the trend nationwide...if not more so. You just happened to be in a given store when a few Wii were unexpectedly put up mid-day, most likely. I'll bet by 5:30, they were long gone.

Thing is, they're just never there for people who still want them when they're looking for them.

[quote name='dracula']why are you singling out nintendo? sony does the same thing with the psp slim.

The only company that doesnt screw over the little guy is microsoft.

Hmm, on second thought, stac. wang, softimage et all might have something to say about that.

ON topic, at first i thought this might be one of the wii systems that have the different color. i thought there was a zelda or mario kart color coming out.[/quote]

um, the psp slim has been out for some time now, and still can find it everywhere.

hell when the psp came out you could also find it everywhere.

The wii is still hard to find.. not as hard as it was before xmas, but still relatively hard.

[quote name='xtreme_Zr2']24 Hour Wal-marts will be selling them at 12:01 AM Sunday Morning....and there WILL be a line (often long). This is how its been goin at Walmart for a while now, people will often start the line at around 10:30 p.m. Sat. night.

..And for the last time, does every Wii thread on here have to turn into a dissection/analysis of Nintendo's marketing strategy? The thread was started to alert those who are still searching that they may be able to get them tonight at Walmart.

Whether you agree or disagree, Nintendo's strategy currently works, the proof is in the premium prices the Wii still generates...any further discussion should be taken to the Wii Message Board.[/quote]

The dude at mine said they start saleing them at 7, and it is a 24 hour walmart.

[quote name='CaliforniaKing']can u call to find out wen they start selling or do they not know/cant tell?[/quote]

I guess some of the people would. Some would't that is my guess. I wish they would just sale them when they get in instead of this waiting junk. It really is starting to piss me off.

I showed up at my 24 hour wal mart at midnight the day that Rock Band released and they refused to sell it to me and the rest of the group that showed up citing that since it was in their ad they had to wait until 7am. When they effectively chased most of the angry mob out of the store a few of us just said that we were staying all night to wait and were hanging out in the electronics, not even 15 minutes went by and the acting manager (or whoever it was in charge) came up and asked us to write our names down on a piece of paper and we would automatically be placed first in line tomorrow morning if we showed up at 6:45. So I got to go home and sleep, word of warning though when I arrived at 6:30 I was shocked that they were already selling them before I arrived even though they chased away the angry mob telling them 7 the night before. WalMart doesn't even stick to their own rules. Thankfully they held mine since I was on the list.

[quote name='morpheusx']I showed up at my 24 hour wal mart at midnight the day that Rock Band released and they refused to sell it to me and the rest of the group that showed up citing that since it was in their ad they had to wait until 7am. When they effectively chased most of the angry mob out of the store a few of us just said that we were staying all night to wait and were hanging out in the electronics, not even 15 minutes went by and the acting manager (or whoever it was in charge) came up and asked us to write our names down on a piece of paper and we would automatically be placed first in line tomorrow morning if we showed up at 6:45. So I got to go home and sleep, word of warning though when I arrived at 6:30 I was shocked that they were already selling them before I arrived even though they chased away the angry mob telling them 7 the night before. WalMart doesn't even stick to their own rules. Thankfully they held mine since I was on the list.[/quote]

Thats true. The guy told me tomorrow at 7, and I called tonight and another dude said he would sale them after 12 midnight. The funny thing is the first guy said they had 3, and the second guy said they had 1, and it may or not be a return. I though omg thats my return not worth evening bothering with it.

Jman, I understand your argument, but if you want one, you should get there at 12. The 5 Walmarts around here(Roanoke, VA) are all 24 hours and they all sell them at 12:01. If they refuse, you could have a major argument...

The ad states prices good January 6 through the 12 (or whatever) and 12:01 am is considered January 6th.

Often Walmart employees won't know their policy regarding this, not because they are trying to play with you, but because management never informs them otherwise. I experienced this first hand with the Black Friday 360's. I just dont want those who are getting excited about this to get let down. Good luck either way.

My suddenly Wii-fixated friend arrived at a local 24-hour Wal-Mart tonight at roughly 9. He and his spouse (yes, they got two, one to sell to his other friend--who owes him some drinks now--at cost) apparently barely got one of the chairs they stationed in or near the electronic department, only because I kept emphasizing how much he was underestimating the demand for this console, both for entertainment and for (despicable) profit.

What I found funny (besides the fact they're still doing 'launch day' procedures for a console approximately fourteen months and two holiday seasons old) is that he told me that the store supposedly had seventeen units, per the information divulged by an employee. There were only fifteen chairs. Then, with literally less than fifteen minutes 'til Midnight, they apparently 'found' three more to, I dunno, be raffled off.

So, yeah, I talked two new people into buying a Wii, and helped them get it* sooner than much later (i.e., waiting for it 'in the wild' on a random weekday). Obviously they don't read here, hunh? (Jabs stomach of reader with elbow) Hunh?? Ha! Ha!...ha. Ah...fuck it.

EDIT: I guess this post was to say that at least one Wal-Mart had an orderly and mostly consistent procedure for selling these at promptly 12:01 A.M. For better or worse, there was no drama to be had. Except that Steelers game on the T.V. the store parked in front of the chairs! "Ha-HA!", as Nelson Muntz might say.

*--Thanks to this thread!

Here is how to get a Wii.

1. write down the name, address and phone number of Wii retailers in your immediate(drivable) area.
2. call the stores everyday or every other day slightly after lunch, and ask if they have any coming in or in-stock.
3. go to the store when they say they have one for you. Be fast and go get it!
4. pm me for my email address and send me a "donation" for these instructions.

[quote name='morpheusx']I showed up at my 24 hour wal mart at midnight the day that Rock Band released and they refused to sell it to me and the rest of the group that showed up citing that since it was in their ad they had to wait until 7am. When they effectively chased most of the angry mob out of the store a few of us just said that we were staying all night to wait and were hanging out in the electronics, not even 15 minutes went by and the acting manager (or whoever it was in charge) came up and asked us to write our names down on a piece of paper and we would automatically be placed first in line tomorrow morning if we showed up at 6:45. So I got to go home and sleep, word of warning though when I arrived at 6:30 I was shocked that they were already selling them before I arrived even though they chased away the angry mob telling them 7 the night before. WalMart doesn't even stick to their own rules. Thankfully they held mine since I was on the list.[/quote]

They did that for the lauch of the PS3, like 24-48 hours BEFORE they could even sell it . I showed up at about 24 hours before launch, there were people still lined up and they people that had their name written down was SOS because the day manager who did that was told by someone above her that she couldn't do that, so a bunch a of ppl showed up at 11ish and were told that they couldn't get, needless to say, one guy threated to bring a gun and we all ran inside to the garden center!!

there were totally none at my walmart

the walmart online stock checker said they were in stock yesterday.
wonder where they went.

[quote name='jollydwarf']Well, I think it's because Nintendo and the retailers are working this symbotic relationship of a (finely-balanced) manufactured shortage, keeping the thing just elusive enough to get more people off that fence, to get more foot traffic through the doors, along with the inevitable hoarding assholes and the genuine-but-largely-trendiness-based demand from the general public. That's what I think.[/QUOTE]

How many units a month would Nintendo have to ship to keep these crazy conspiracy theories from cropping up all the time? 2 Million? 2.5 Million? 3.6 Million?

Seriously folks, when you've *shipped* and *sold* more units in one year's time than your closest competitor has shipped (not necessarily sold) in twice as much time, the idea that you're short shipping the supply just doesn't hold up very well.

[quote name='decrot']there were totally none at my walmart

the walmart online stock checker said they were in stock yesterday.
wonder where they went.[/quote]

Can you give me the link to the online stock checker?...Thanks!

Actually that is not true at all.

Nintendo was originally producing 1.2 million Wiis a month, they upped it to 1.8 Million Wiis.

Its not a simple switch flick to up more Wiis. Please research your facts before you subject yourself to further embarassment.

[quote name='seen']Here is how to get a Wii.

1. write down the name, address and phone number of Wii retailers in your immediate(drivable) area.
2. call the stores everyday or every other day slightly after lunch, and ask if they have any coming in or in-stock.
3. go to the store when they say they have one for you. Be fast and go get it!
4. pm me for my email address and send me a "donation" for these instructions.[/quote]

Except a lot of stores will just tell you no no matter what.

[quote name='maccabee72']Can you give me the link to the online stock checker?...Thanks![/quote]
Taken from bill9009 on SlickDeals:

first go to a page that has the function defined in the script, such as
this:

walmart.com/search/search-ng.do?search_constraint=0&search_query=ps3&ic=24_0

(just cut and paste the links and add www to the front and they should work)

then cut and paste this function in the address bar of the page you just pulled up

javascript:eek:penSlapOverlay(7855161)

I don't want one but I used that stock checker and my got my friends all one. The walmart next to me had a bunch THANKS!

[quote name='maccabee72']I was the 3rd person in line at my local Wal-mart.....They only had two:cry:[/quote]

You know what really sucks about that, is that Wii's are shipped 3 in a box, which means someone at the store was able to buy it before it hit the store shelves.

[quote name='morpheusx']You know what really sucks about that, is that Wii's are shipped 3 in a box, which means someone at the store was able to buy it before it hit the store shelves.[/quote]

Yeah, she actually pulled out the box which had two in it. She said something about one being defective or some BS, because the guy behind me said, " Your stock said you had 3 or 4 yesterday." Oh well, I should have held on to the one I got on launch day.....just got bored of it. My wife wants another now though.

Edit: Funny...after checking the stock checker, it actually says this Wal-Mart has them in-stock....hmmm!

bread's done
Back