Nintendo World Championships 1990 for NES on ebay

I understand that this is the rarest of rare games, but I don't think I can ever understand paying $1000 for something that you are only meant to play for a few seconds, not even a full version of any game.

[quote name='opportunity777']Where is Elemental Gearbolt Assassin Edition or whatever? I have NEVER seen one of those on eBAY :)[/QUOTE]

Did that ever come out?

I saw this when searching for new/sealed NES games for fun yesterday.

I mean, if I was one of those really rich people with enough money to throw around, I'd get this...but, wow. Why would anyone pay that much for a game? o_0

[quote name='mykevermin']Did that ever come out?[/QUOTE]

I actually never heard of it except through digitpress / whatever, and supposedly according them only 40 were made. I'd buy one just because I'm a loser like that :)

e-bay.png

nwcebay.jpg

Above are just some of the pictures of the rare cart I have found online.. if you find anymore post here. It's not every day you can find a cart like this and each one is its own rarity.

I haven't seen that on eBay in about 2 years or so. I also don't remember it going for quite that much either.

[quote name='assassinX']is this like a great NES game?[/QUOTE]

I haven't actually played it, but it's supposed to be one of the hardest games to find ever.

Prizes given to the contestants ranged from commemorative t-shirts and baseball caps to college scholarship money. The "real" prized items from the tournament come in the form of commerative World Championships NES cartridges - really, who cares about educational funds? Championship finalists were awarded with one of 90 NWC cartridges. An additional 26 were mailed out from Nintendo Power in its magazine sponsored contest. Although now serial numbers exceeding 116 are surfacing, it appears that more copies do exist and the gross amount is reaching near the 300 mark. There are two variations of the cart: gray and gold, with the latter color being much more sought after.

Guidelines to Win:

Collect 50 coins in Super Mario Bros. (Once finished, x1 to scored points in objective)
Finish level 1 of Rad Racer (Once finished, x10 to scored points in objective)
Play Tetris for the remainder of the time (Once finished, x25 to scored points in objective)

1990 Nintendo World Champion and Top-Scorer Scores:

Thor Aackerlund -- 2,800,000

Rich Ambler -- 2,700,000

Robin Mihara -- 2,500,000

Jeff Falco -- 2,300,000

Y'know, I was gonna make a smarmy comment about how you could buy 9 piece of shit Volkswagen Beetles for the cost of one goddamned Nintendo cartridge.

But then I looked up some prices locally on classic Bugs: $5000! :shock:

I'm not sure which price is more shocking, truth be told.

i'm wondering when or if someone's made a duplicate and sold it. doesn't seem too hard, get a cheapass NES game, take the label off, create your own label, cut a square out of the plastic casing, craft a little switchy think, and voila, 5000 dollars.

you could even get a gold LoZ cart and sell it for 10000.

[quote name='pimp tyranny']i'm wondering when or if someone's made a duplicate and sold it. doesn't seem too hard, get a cheapass NES game, take the label off, create your own label, cut a square out of the plastic casing, craft a little switchy think, and voila, 5000 dollars.

you could even get a gold LoZ cart and sell it for 10000.[/QUOTE]

The gold carts don't have labels, do they?

I got that "game" from Nintendo Power a long time ago, I never took it out I just kept it in a cover and put it in a plastic box in my attic with all of my other NES games.

For those of you have seen this on the auction block before, however long it may have been, do you guys remember what it went for then (after it was all over)? Its already near $6K now and its only half way done.

Did anybody actually participate in this competition? I did, when they were doing it as part of the Nintendo Power Fest that toured the country. There was an entry fee to compete, which my mom paid for me - I don't remember exactly how much it was, maybe $5 or $6. I did well on Mario and Tetris, but that damned Rad Racer, which I never played, ate up all my time.

There were also tons of NES and Game Boy games set up to preview - for some reason the ones I remember are Mission: Impossible and Solstice for NES, and TMNT for Game Boy. I also got a Nintendo T-shirt while I was there... as you can imagine it was the highlight of my young life.

[quote name='pimp tyranny']i'm wondering when or if someone's made a duplicate and sold it. doesn't seem too hard, get a cheapass NES game, take the label off, create your own label, cut a square out of the plastic casing, craft a little switchy think, and voila, 5000 dollars.

you could even get a gold LoZ cart and sell it for 10000.[/QUOTE]

You'd never get it to look exactly like the real ones, and you'd be called out on it. The board inside was only for this cart and prototypes. Most NES boards only take up 25% of the inside, if that. Even if you could recreate the timer switches, you'd still be left with no proper board in the background.

This auction will not go through. The $5000 is due to a zero feedback bidder who will not follow through and pay. These realistically go for $1500-$2000. Golds have gone for anywhere from $2500 to $7000.

I have a grey one (#215) of my own as well... traded 4 hard as shit PAL games for it. Well worth it, considering I only spent about $500 total on those carts. The numbers go up to 343, but there are approx. 120 of them, for sure, in non-NOA hands.

Quackzilla, that's a pretty big claim to make, a few more details about your cart?

This game is #1 on my list

mainly because I went to the 1990 world championships with my dad
nostalgia you know?
I still have my ticket.
big massive screen with contestants going as fast as humanly possible through mario tetris and a racing game i believe
I wouldn't pay 1000 but 100, 150 i think is reasonable

[quote name='portnoyd']
I have a grey one (#215) of my own as well... traded 4 hard as shit PAL games for it. Well worth it, considering I only spent about $500 total on those carts. The numbers go up to 343, but there are approx. 120 of them, for sure, in non-NOA hands.

Quackzilla, that's a pretty big claim to make, a few more details about your cart?[/QUOTE]

Before you start calling out others why dont you post a picture of yours with your CAG screen name written on a piece of paper laying on it. I'm not saying you are a liar i'm just saying tit for tat............

Back on topic:
$6250, with 3+ days left and the high bidder has a feedback rating of 269!

[quote name='ChoiceStriker']Did anybody actually participate in this competition? I did, when they were doing it as part of the Nintendo Power Fest that toured the country. There was an entry fee to compete, which my mom paid for me - I don't remember exactly how much it was, maybe $5 or $6. I did well on Mario and Tetris, but that damned Rad Racer, which I never played, ate up all my time.

There were also tons of NES and Game Boy games set up to preview - for some reason the ones I remember are Mission: Impossible and Solstice for NES, and TMNT for Game Boy. I also got a Nintendo T-shirt while I was there... as you can imagine it was the highlight of my young life.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I was there. I won the OKC regionals and got the trip to the finals at Universal Hollywood. There were 30 finalists in 3 different age categories. I didn't do well in the finals, but it was still a nice trip. That guy with the bowtie, that was the Nintendo spokesman for a while, was there hosting.

if I saw this at a yard sale or pawn shop, it would be very hard to keep my cool.

signed by Shigeru...........................and Fred Savage! booya.

bread's done
Back