Nippon Ichi 360 & Rev Support, Might be saying Goodbye to PS3

CapAmerica

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
Nippon Ichi Software America suggests support for Playstation will switch to Microsoft and Nintendo...

Fans of Nippon Ichi’s distinct strategy titles such as Disgaea, Phantom Brave and La Pucelle can look forward to future titles on the Xbox360 and Nintendo Revolution, potentially moving away from the high-end Playstation3 in an interview recently featured on Gamasutra.

Speaking to Jack Niida, Nippon Ichi Software America Marketing Coordinator, few specific details are revealed however he does suggest that the next-generation of formats could reverse the dwindling Japanese videogame market.

I have to say I saw this coming, I think we're going to see alot of the smaller game developers leave Sony cause of their high development costs and high standards.

Awesome news actually. JRPGS going to the XBox = more support for the XBox/360, It's what the system is only really lacking really, along with a few other niche titles.

[quote name='Celes']This is better. Most of these games don't get recognize on the PS2 because of huge hits like GTA series.[/QUOTE]

wtf?

Their games sell extremely well to who they are intended for, and usually sell out across the board within weeks.

Maybe most of their games won't get recognized on the 360 because of Halo :roll:

[quote name='Roufuss']wtf?

Their games sell extremely well to who they are intended for, and usually sell out across the board within weeks.

Maybe most of their games won't get recognized on the 360 because of Halo :roll:[/QUOTE]

Well I'm not saying they are bad...I'm just saying that since the PS2 has such a large library of games, it gets over shadowed.

And the reason they usually sell out so quickly is because the game is on limited stock. It's not like Final Fantasy where it's trying to aim over 1 million owners.

Meh - they'll be back in a year when they realize that the Japanese - their main audience - are once again ignoring MS's console.

I've decided I'm not much of a fan of their strat-games anyway, so no real worry to me one way or the other.

I'm not a big fan of these kinda games either. It's gonna take one amazing killer app for me to buy any of the next gen consoles anytime soon

This is great news! I won't have to buy a $500 (estimated) system now. I'm waiting for all the posters that said they are going PS3 because of NIS.

Edit: can I get a link??

I dont care, I haven't played them before anyways, and I'm not into those types of games. I like action games more, RPG type games are pretty boring IMO.

Link: GamaSutra article

Gamasutra: What do you think of the state of the Japanese industry right now?

Niida: I'd say It's been lagging a little. There aren't many exciting titles. But with the introduction of PS3, Xbox 360, Revolution, it's going to change.

Gamasutra: Will Nippon Ichi be making games for next gen?

Niida: We are seriously thinking of working to Xbox 360 and also Revolution.

Gamasutra: Have you had any trouble getting SCEA to approve 2D games?

Niida: Sony's been very helpful, actually. We've been able to bring over all the titles that we submitted, and they seem to like the titles we brought over.

Gamasutra: Why do you think they're so receptive, when other companies complain of the difficulty of bringing out 2D titles on Sony consoles?

Niida: That's actually a surprise to me. We carefully select the games we want to bring over, making sure they're titles that we have a good chance of getting approved. We don't a long shot title that is a waste of time. In the end it comes down to the way you present it to Sony, it's fairly easy to convince them. They're actually really great guys to work for. We've built a mutual relationship and we're able to work together. They love 2D anime just as much as we do.

Gamasutra: Are they more willing to approve a 2D title if it's more of a budget price, or is that a factor?

Niida: I don't think it really matters, because with games like Atelier Iris, we just show the game, talk about it, convince them, and get approval. They didn't really mention the 2D part. We actually emphasize the 2D aspect of the game, saying there's 3D everywhere and there's still that niche 2D market out there, and Sony was willing to take the chance to try it.
I think whatever site the OP got this from is spinning the story to look bad for Sony. I was first directed to the interview by Planet GameCube, and they didn't spin it. I think the reason they didn't mention PS3 is that it might be a given, given their PS2-only history thus far.

[quote name='dafunkk12']Link: GamaSutra article

I think whatever site the OP got this from is spinning the story to look bad for Sony. I was first directed to the interview by Planet GameCube, and they didn't spin it. I think the reason they didn't mention PS3 is that it might be a given, given their PS2-only history thus far.[/QUOTE]

So they never actually said no PS3. Too bad for all the people who wanted Nippon Ichi to leave Sony :)

that's great. All 5 NIS fans who own xboxes will be psyched. I hope they try their hand at something shorter and more digestable next. Their games could benefit from dual wielding and online multiplayer....and boobies.

NiS goes to Nintendo and that saves me buying a freakishly expensive (IMO PS3 will indeed be expensive, I believe Kutaragi) PS3/Tivo/Digital Media Streamer Frankenstein machine.

At least for a few years, until a new Dragon Quest or possibly Final Fantasy game comes out :D

My plan is Revolution only for a few years as it is, this would lock it down :D

If Nintendo is smart, which they aren't, they'll court the niche and hardcore developers hard.

I don't understand why Sony gives companies like NIS, Atlus and Working Designs a hard time in getting games approved. The buyers of these titles are the hardest of the hardcore and will buy any game these companies put out much like Nintendo fans though obviously not in similar numbers. If each puts out 8 games a generation chances they're going to gamers with 50+ titles per console. Those are the customers you want to keep happiest.

My understanding was Sony tried to deep six Growlanser several times until WD finally decided to include both games in the same package. Why? What's the point? Fans would have bought both of them like they're snapping up the SMT: N & DDS games. Same with the Metal Slug games they were given approval hassles as well.

Since Nintendo is the console most associated with traditional "enthusiast" gamers it would make perfect sense for these companies to bail on Sony. I'm sure the Revolution will be a bargain, compared to the PS3, to develop for. One thing should be obvious about the next generation; because of cost factors you're going to see more interesting concepts and titles for Revolution than the Big 2.

Gamasutra: Have you had any trouble getting SCEA to approve 2D games?

Niida: Sony's been very helpful, actually. We've been able to bring over all the titles that we submitted, and they seem to like the titles we brought over.

Gamasutra: Why do you think they're so receptive, when other companies complain of the difficulty of bringing out 2D titles on Sony consoles?

Niida: That's actually a surprise to me. We carefully select the games we want to bring over, making sure they're titles that we have a good chance of getting approved. We don't a long shot title that is a waste of time. In the end it comes down to the way you present it to Sony, it's fairly easy to convince them. They're actually really great guys to work for. We've built a mutual relationship and we're able to work together. They love 2D anime just as much as we do.

Gamasutra: Are they more willing to approve a 2D title if it's more of a budget price, or is that a factor?

Niida: I don't think it really matters, because with games like Atelier Iris, we just show the game, talk about it, convince them, and get approval. They didn't really mention the 2D part. We actually emphasize the 2D aspect of the game, saying there's 3D everywhere and there's still that niche 2D market out there, and Sony was willing to take the chance to try it.

Nippon Ichi says, no trouble getting 2D games approved. Seems weird when WD & others report problems getting 2D approved. ??

I think one advantage NIS has is they are a developer and publisher. WD, Agetec and Atlus are just publishers importing and localizing games that Japanese developers have negelected to bring stateside.

I'd assume that would be the advantage. SNK has run into the same thing with their legacy NEO*GEO games.

You know what's so amazing about the 2-D and 3-D argument with Sony systems is as far as resale value the most valuable PSone and PS2 games are 2-D RPG titles. You'd think they would put two and two together.

[quote name='PittsburghAfterDark']I think one advantage NIS has is they are a developer and publisher. WD, Agetec and Atlus are just publishers importing and localizing games that Japanese developers have negelected to bring stateside.

I'd assume that would be the advantage. SNK has run into the same thing with their legacy NEO*GEO games.

You know what's so amazing about the 2-D and 3-D argument with Sony systems is as far as resale value the most valuable PSone and PS2 games are 2-D RPG titles. You'd think they would put two and two together.[/QUOTE]

Atlus and SNK are both respected Japanese developer. The 2D KoF games sold very well in Asia but that hasnt help SNK at all.

The NIS games that got brought over are 2D but they got 3D effects, which make it a little bit more acceptable.

Sadly the 2D games hasnt done as well as 3D games in terms of sales. While there are many people that brought a PS2 for the RPGs, those sales are little compare to those who brought it for Madden or GTA. Most 2D games dont do that well compare to 3D games and just dont apear on the top 10 list at a regular base. Assuming they do lose NIS, the people they lost would be insigificant to the people they lost if Rockstar left Sony. The sales of Growlanser, Metal Slug, are nothing special. As a result 2d games are a low priority for Sony.

Just about every major magazine complain about the graphics of Makai Kingdom. Some even call it SNES quality (personally I am prefectly happy about it). This isnt good as sony try to be 'in'.

As for the resale vale of PSOne games, it is more due to the limited supply than high demand. Having a GBA or PS ports still hasnt change the value some of the original.

Personal I dont see how 2D games can be harmful but those are likely Sony's reason.

SNK doesn't exist anymore. At least as the same company that made the NEO*GEO and games going back to the NES. They're more or less a brand name and holding company. Just as Atari is/was Infogrames and not the original Atari. It's also an American company now, not a Japanese one.

SNK Reborn as SNK Playmore--2001 and Beyond

Piecing SNK Back Together

This is the story of how SNK came back from the ashes.

In August 2001, not long before SNK officially dissolved into bankruptcy, former founder and CEO Kawasaki started up a new company, called Playmore, and quickly purchased the intellectual property rights to King of Fighters, Metal Slug, and the majority of other former SNK properties from the companies that Aruze had sold them to. Soon after that, Playmore acquired BrezzaSoft. What Kawasaki had done, one step at a time, was to piece the old SNK back together again. All that was missing was the name. Closing out 2001 and throughout 2002, Playmore would produce software for the NeoGeo AES/MVS systems, as well as port many of SNK's popular games to the Sony PlayStation and Sega Dreamcast consoles.

Aruze continued to use SNK's trademarks even after Playmore acquired the rights. Pachi-Slot machines like Crazy Racer and Ire-Gui contain SNK fighting game characters. Playmore sued and claimed more than 6 billion yen in damages.

Kawasaki would eventually have his revenge on Aruze, in a manner of speaking. After SNK went bankrupt and Playmore acquired the rights to SNK's intellectual properties, Aruze went on to develop Pachinko games using SNK's trademark characters. Needless to say, the appearances of Terry Bogard, Mai Shiranui, and the Metal Slug tank in games like Bakuchi, Aruze Kingdom 7, and Ire-Gui were completely unauthorized by Playmore. On October 28, 2002, Playmore filed a trademark and copyright action for damages in Osaka District Court alleging that Aruze was infringing upon Playmore's trademarks and copyrights concerning the use of SNK properties in Aruze's Pachinko machines. All told, Playmore claims more than 6.2 billion yen in damages, which amounts to roughly $58.5 million. In January 2004, a preliminary decision was handed down by the Osaka District Court determining that Aruze unlawfully used SNK Playmore-owned trademarks following its sale of those trademarks. A final decision and the awarding of damages are still pending.

Thanks to Playmore, SNK also reopened operations in North America. In December 2002, SNK NeoGeo USA Corporation was formed, with the purpose of marketing the company's arcade games in the US and Canada. Shortly after that, SNK NeoGeo USA Consumer Corporation was set up to handle marketing and distribution of the company's games for home consoles such as the PlayStation 2 and Game Boy Advance. In a fitting twist of fate, Ben Herman, VP of sales for SNK Entertainment Inc. until the June 2000 pullout, was asked to come back and become the president of SNK NeoGeo USA Consumer Corporation. Herman had been working as a regional sales manager for Nintendo but found the opportunity to take the helm at his former employer too tempting to pass up.

SNK is back. The King of Fighters 2000/2001 double pack is the first game to come to the US from SNK NeoGeo USA Consumer Corporation.

The newly formed US-based SNK companies made their first public appearance at the 2003 Electronic Entertainment Expo in Los Angeles. There, SNK NeoGeo USA Corporation announced its intention to restart MVS distribution in the United States. That meant that arcade operators could purchase King of Fighters 2002 as well as the upcoming SVC Chaos: SNK vs. Capcom, Metal Slug 5, and Samurai Shodown 5.

As for SNK NeoGeo USA Consumer Corporation (man, that's a lengthy name)--company president Ben Herman was proud to announce the impending release of the King of Fighters 2000/2001 double pack for the PlayStation 2, as well as the intention to release home versions of Metal Slug 3 and SVC Chaos later on. The King of Fighters 2000/2001 pack is out now, but Metal Slug 3 has met with resistance from Sony Computer Entertainment America's concept approval department. SCEA has a long history of denying licenses on 2D-based games. Goemon, Dodonpachi, and Soul Hackers are but a few of the many games denied a US release by the company's approval department, despite the fact that these and the majority of other rejected titles were released in Japan without incident.

Link

Working Designs is a horrible company imo. Why? They take FOR-EV-ER to localize a single game - meanwhile, other companies like Atlus crank out several games in the same timespan it takes WD to do one. They stick a watch & some playing cards in the game and think that makes it all better. I'm loving Growlanser right now, but let's face it - Growlanser 2 is a 20 hour game, and if WD had had their way about it they would have sold it by itself with a special collectable toilet paper dispenser for $70, with no alternate package. Then how many gamers would be pissed at having spent $70 for a 20-30 hour game?

NI games, as much as they aren't really my cup of tea, are games that have an almost endless playtime. NI has localized 2 of their strat titles themselves over the past year or so (Phantom Brave & Makai Kingdom), while localizing a 3rd unrelated game. Atlus has cranked out numerous RPGs this gen - Disgaea, Dual Hearts, SMT:Nocturne, SMT: Digital Devil Saga, Stella Deus, Wizardry, Tsuganai, Riviera, Tactics Ogre, and probably more I'm forgetting, I'm sure. Nocturne alone was probably a bigger localization undertaking than the 2 Growlanser games were, given it's length and branching story paths. And Atlus' translations are every bit as good as WD's (better imo, since they don't feel the need to include cheesy pop references).

I'm a big RPG gamer, and I'll never understand people's love for WD. Sure, they have brought over some good games, but many of these I feel would have been brought over faster & better by other companies.

As far as NIS claiming that Sony wasnt that hard on approving 2d games, I'd have to say thats a flat out lie, but done for public reasons.

Developing for the 360 would require a slight change in the way they do things. They would probably have to update to higher resolution sprites, to accomodate the forced HD requirements. NIS is fairly smart. Before they decide to make a 360 game, they'll get plenty of input in which they'll find out that its probably a risky idea.

Philosophically, its like Nintendo and NIS were separated at birth. Both of them are all about their fan base, and not necessarily worried about what the industry in general happens to be doing.

[quote name='argyle']Working Designs is a horrible company imo. Why? They take FOR-EV-ER to localize a single game - meanwhile, other companies like Atlus crank out several games in the same timespan it takes WD to do one. They stick a watch & some playing cards in the game and think that makes it all better. I'm loving Growlanser right now, but let's face it - Growlanser 2 is a 20 hour game, and if WD had had their way about it they would have sold it by itself with a special collectable toilet paper dispenser for $70, with no alternate package. Then how many gamers would be pissed at having spent $70 for a 20-30 hour game?

NI games, as much as they aren't really my cup of tea, are games that have an almost endless playtime. NI has localized 2 of their strat titles themselves over the past year or so (Phantom Brave & Makai Kingdom), while localizing a 3rd unrelated game. Atlus has cranked out numerous RPGs this gen - Disgaea, Dual Hearts, SMT:Nocturne, SMT: Digital Devil Saga, Stella Deus, Wizardry, Tsuganai, Riviera, Tactics Ogre, and probably more I'm forgetting, I'm sure. Nocturne alone was probably a bigger localization undertaking than the 2 Growlanser games were, given it's length and branching story paths. And Atlus' translations are every bit as good as WD's (better imo, since they don't feel the need to include cheesy pop references).

I'm a big RPG gamer, and I'll never understand people's love for WD. Sure, they have brought over some good games, but many of these I feel would have been brought over faster & better by other companies.[/QUOTE]

I hear yah and you bring up good points but i love WD because of Lunar. Still remains in my top 5 to this day.

but yeah, they do take forever.

Sorry, the article was mixed up. Here's what came from MagicBox
Nippon Ichi mentioned they are they are considering to develop for Xbox 360 and Revolution; the company already confirmed to develop for PlayStation 3.
http://www.the-magicbox.com/gaming.htm

So, they are already planning to develop for PS3. They are just considering Xbox 360 and Revolution. They were going to develop for PSP, but then they canceled their game and moved it to PS2.

[quote name='PittsburghAfterDark']If Nintendo is smart, which they aren't, they'll court the niche and hardcore developers hard.[/quote]I only see Nintendo appealing to Nintendo fans and nothing else next generation.

I don't understand why Sony gives companies like NIS, Atlus and Working Designs a hard time in getting games approved. The buyers of these titles are the hardest of the hardcore and will buy any game these companies put out much like Nintendo fans though obviously not in similar numbers. If each puts out 8 games a generation chances they're going to gamers with 50+ titles per console. Those are the customers you want to keep happiest.
Sony does this only because they feel a dated game, should not retail for $50 full. Now, Sony has no problems allowing Atelier Iris, Disgaea, Phantom Brave, etc. because those games were developed from the group up on PS2. It's not just a few 2-D games Sony has denied, they've also denied some really, really bad 3-D games from coming stateside.
My understanding was Sony tried to deep six Growlanser several times until WD finally decided to include both games in the same package. Why? What's the point? Fans would have bought both of them like they're snapping up the SMT: N & DDS games. Same with the Metal Slug games they were given approval hassles as well.
It's not just that, Vic Ireland is very outspoken about everything and is very hard to deal with. If you were to know, both Growlanser games are very short and definitely not worth $50. All Career Soft basically did was take the graphic engine from Growlanser I, and re-used it for Growlanser II & III. That's why Sony felt those two games should be bundled together. I'm glad they did because it was well worth it that way. The more I look at it, either game wasn't worth is by itself.

Since Nintendo is the console most associated with traditional "enthusiast" gamers it would make perfect sense for these companies to bail on Sony. I'm sure the Revolution will be a bargain, compared to the PS3, to develop for. One thing should be obvious about the next generation; because of cost factors you're going to see more interesting concepts and titles for Revolution than the Big 2.
That's sounding just like a Nintendo fanboy right there. Sorry but companies aren't "bailing" on Sony. Many of them are just considering expanding their support next generation. It's Nintendo that developers keep "bailing" on, since they've been decling in consoles.

[quote name='Samurai T']Sorry, the article was mixed up. Here's what came from MagicBox

http://www.the-magicbox.com/gaming.htm

So, they are already planning to develop for PS3. They are just considering Xbox 360 and Revolution. They were going to develop for PSP, but then they canceled their game and moved it to PS2.[/QUOTE]

I can't seem to find that Story anywhere. Mind posting a link?

I also went over to IGN and NIS isn't on the list. You sure people are not just asumeing that they are going to the PS3 cause they were on the PS2/PSOne?

It really wouldn't surprize me at all to see them leave Sony for another company that has cheaper development costs and doesn't mind 2D games.

[quote name='Samurai T'] They were going to develop for PSP, but then they canceled their game and moved it to PS2.[/QUOTE]

They were going to develop for the PSP but Sony wouldnt give them a PSP dev kit.

I'll go out on a limb here and make the startling prediction that NIS will put most or all of their efforts behind the platform that demonstrates a strong advantage in installed base once all three are on the market. As the old saying goes, God takes the side of the biggest army.

A niche player is inclined to view installed base as at least as important to them as a producer of multi-million selling titles. If you expect to only sell to less than 1% of that base, and one player has four or five titmes the numbers of the competition, the choice is obvious. No matter how dedicated the fan base, the odds favor putting the games on the machine people already own as opposed to hoping they'll buy another that has yet to offer sufficient attraction for most of the market.

If Xbox 360 gets off to a slow start and the PS3 quickly catches up and surpasses its numbers, especially in Japan, the path for NIS will be obvious. Only if an even two or three way split occurs will there really be much need to consider multiple platforms.

So, let me get this straight: The guy from NIS says they're seriously thinking about making games for 360 and Rev next gen, then proceeds to praise Sony for being easy to work with, and THAT means they're not making games for PS3. Oh, and the praise for Sony was a lie, because you're a psychic you can read minds and all that, right? Good job, dumbasses.

They don't make excellent games, they are just average.

And why are they called nippon ichi in the US? Why not just say japan one?

[quote name='Quackzilla']They don't make excellent games, they are just average.

And why are they called nippon ichi in the US? Why not just say japan one?[/QUOTE]

I think the translation is more like "Best of Japan" - a type of idiom.

And they probably keep the name b/c they think Japanese names are hip and if my translation is close, don't want to sound too snooty.

Reality's Fringe said:
If NIS stops making lameass strategy games, then Revolution support will be much appreciated.
Maybe if Nintendo stops making lameass platform games, people might buy their system.

(not really, but that was a really stupid comment)

[quote name='dafoomie']Maybe if Nintendo stops making lameass platform games, people might buy their system.

(not really, but that was a really stupid comment)[/QUOTE]
I didn't mean it in a general way, I meant it as personal preference. A friend of mine was all in my face about this because of how much he loves disgaea etc. I borrowed it from him and I can't stand it, then I tried La Pucelle and it was even worse. However, I'm enjoying AE:Eternal Mana and would like to see more products along that line.

[quote name='argyle']Working Designs is a horrible company imo. Why? They take FOR-EV-ER to localize a single game - meanwhile, other companies like Atlus crank out several games in the same timespan it takes WD to do one. They stick a watch & some playing cards in the game and think that makes it all better. I'm loving Growlanser right now, but let's face it - Growlanser 2 is a 20 hour game, and if WD had had their way about it they would have sold it by itself with a special collectable toilet paper dispenser for $70, with no alternate package. Then how many gamers would be pissed at having spent $70 for a 20-30 hour game?

I'm a big RPG gamer, and I'll never understand people's love for WD. Sure, they have brought over some good games, but many of these I feel would have been brought over faster & better by other companies.[/QUOTE]

If you've noticed Argyle, WD's input this generation has been VERY low. They did Slipheed (meh), Growlanser, and some other game that was probably crap... and they have NOTHING on the horizon, it seems. Even games you would expect them to do, like Popolocrois and Wild Arms: Alter Code F are picked up by Agetec, and more and more companies are putting games out in the US themselves (re: Atlus and NIS).

I honestly believe this is WD's last generation as a company... they are barely making it this gen, it seems, and there is no way they will survive when the next gen of consoles hit.

Compare the PS One lineup, which included: Alundra, Thunderfoce V, Lunar 1 and 2, Arc The Lad, Vanguard Bandits, and others I'm forgetting - all pretty decent, well received games, to the PS2 lineup - Growlanser, Slipheed, and Gungriffon Blaze. Hell, not even Growlanser was very well received it seems.

Their only announcement on their website was an april fool's joke, it seems they have nothing on the horizon, and companies are sick of WD taking forever to bring out their games and then half the time mangling the translation to include Vic's own personal sense of "humor".

I don't think we'll have to worry about WD much longer.

[quote name='dafoomie']Maybe if Nintendo stops making lameass platform games, people might buy their system.

(not really, but that was a really stupid comment)[/QUOTE]

Because Sony's and Microsoft's lameass platform games were that much better?

[quote name='Tromack']Because Sony's and Microsoft's lameass platform games were that much better?[/QUOTE]

I would gladly take Sony's first and second party platformers over the majority of Gamecube's platformers any day of the week. Sly Cooper totally made Mario Sunshine it's bitch.

And Jak & Daxter.

Gamecube had a pretty poor platform/adventure lineup, Nintendo really slacked off.

It is 4 years into the consoles life and they haven't released a real Mario game, just perversions like Mario Golf, Mario Party, Mario Sunshine, etc.

[quote name='Quackzilla']And Jak & Daxter.

Gamecube had a pretty poor platform/adventure lineup, Nintendo really slacked off.

It is 4 years into the consoles life and they haven't released a real Mario game, just perversions like Mario Golf, Mario Party, Mario Sunshine, etc.[/QUOTE]

Mario Golf was awesome though, and after playing the demo for Mario Baseball, there is no denying how awesome that game will also be.

bread's done
Back