Nippon-Ichi Software (NIS) now officially a Wii and Wiiware developer

Cao Cao

CAGiversary!
http://www.siliconera.com/2008/11/06/nippon-ichi-secures-a-wiiwiiware-developer-license/

They got the license, and their first game is a Wiiware title, "Let's Hitchhike," which was listed at the Fall conference a few weeks ago and is set for release in Japan in March. No information was given about it, so we don't know if they'll take a page from Yuji Naka's "Let's Tap/Catch" book and make it:
A) A collection of mini-games and visualizers that involve hitchhiking
B) Using hitchhiking in ordinary situations before using your mad hitching skillz to SAVE THE WORLD (Dragon Ninja has kidnapped the President! Are you a bad enough hitchhiker to bum a ride all the way to his hideout?)
Or if they'll go in a completely different direction:
C) The sort of game that requires a towel accessory and an Infinite Improbability Drive.

Either way, I imagine that it won't be long before they announce a Disgaea game. ;)

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']So they've finally come to their senses.

Fingers are crossed for a Disgaea 3 port.[/quote]
Hmmm. That could actually happen, right? I mean, as much as I loved Disgaea 3, it's not really a next gen game. I don't think there's anything about it the Wii couldn't handle.

I also wouldn't mind seeing some ports of NIS games I missed for the PS2. Trying to find used copies of their games is a chore.

[quote name='Yaxley']Hmmm. That could actually happen, right? I mean, as much as I loved Disgaea 3, it's not really a next gen game. I don't think there's anything about it the Wii couldn't handle.

I also wouldn't mind seeing some ports of NIS games I missed for the PS2. Trying to find used copies of their games is a chore.[/QUOTE]

It is a possibility. Space-wise, Disgaea 3 weighed in at around 2GB, which means that it can easily fit on a DVD. Graphically, it didn't seem like it had anything vastly more resource-taxing than the PS2 games. So it seems that, on paper at least, it can be ported to the Wii.

[quote name='Cao Cao']It is a possibility. Space-wise, Disgaea 3 weighed in at around 2GB, which means that it can easily fit on a DVD. Graphically, it didn't seem like it had anything vastly more resource-taxing than the PS2 games. So it seems that, on paper at least, it can be ported to the Wii.[/quote]
I found a quote from an interview that might refute that.

HGM: Why the jump to the PS3 for this iteration of Disgaea?
Jack Niida: The jump to PS3 was mainly due to the developmental limits of the PS2 system. Many people might not realize it, but compared to the PS3, the PS2 has a limited amount of memory that can be used to process 2D info, thus limiting the creativity of the developers. The PS3 allowed us to expand what we could express within the 2D format and further evolve the game system. The PS2’s a great platform, but in order to make a truly fun game, the PS3 was necessary.

Maybe it's true or maybe it's just an en excuse. I'm not sure what to think. I guess a programmer would know better than I would.

He is absolutely full of it. Capcom could port it in their sleep. If they're not careful, they might do it accidentally.

Man, I was SOOO drunk last night. Whats this? Disgaea 3 for Wii?

[quote name='Jack Niida']The jump to PS3 was mainly due to the developmental limits of the PS2 system. Many people might not realize it, but compared to the PS3, the PS2 has a limited amount of memory that can be used to process 2D info, thus limiting the creativity of the developers. The PS3 allowed us to expand what we could express within the 2D format and further evolve the game system. The PS2’s a great platform, but in order to make a truly fun game, the PS3 was necessary.[/quote]
While I don't doubt that switching to the PS3 gave them room to improve, am I the only one who thinks that that quote is fucking retarded?

[quote name='The Crotch']While I don't doubt that switching to the PS3 gave them room to improve, am I the only one who thinks that that quote is fucking retarded?[/QUOTE]
Nope.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']Lets all fantasize for a moment if Vanillaware got to port+ it.[/QUOTE]
By "port+," I'm assuming you mean "remake"?

Anyways, I don't think that'd be too exciting, because really, Vanillaware's biggest strength, I think, is in animation, which isn't too important in an SRPG. I think it'd be a waste of their talent, to do a 3/4 view SRPG.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']Lets all fantasize for a moment if Vanillaware got to port+ it.[/QUOTE]
I'll probably be the only one to say this: DO NOT WANT.

Anyway, looking forward to N1 games on Wii. And a Disgaea 3 port would rock.

bread's done
Back