No analog stick for Xenogears?

Sea Dragon

CAG Veteran
I'm playing Xenogears on my PS2, but I can't use the analog stick to move around (unlike Dragon Warrior VII, where I can use the analog stick)- only the D-pad responds (regardless of the status of the analog light). Is this normal, or is there a setting I can change to correct this?

Xenogears came out before there was even a thing called "dual-shock" if I recall correctly... a time when the only Metal Gear was not "solid" and you could still plug in an action replay to the back of your playstation. And there were random screenshots of this unbelieveable (and still unbelievable in my sentimentality) upcoming (in japan) console called "dreamcast."

The only analog stick was on something called a "n64" and it only had ONE STICK!!! if you can believe that!

[quote name='azel']Xenogears came out before there was even a thing called "dual-shock" if I recall correctly... a time when the only Metal Gear was not "solid" and you could still plug in an action replay to the back of your playstation. And there were random screenshots of this unbelieveable (and still unbelievable in my sentimentality) upcoming (in japan) console called "dreamcast."

The only analog stick was on something called a "n64" and it only had ONE STICK!!! if you can believe that![/quote]

Nope, the Dual-Shock did indeed exist when Xenogears came out on October 20, 1998. Metal Gear Solid came out the next day, October 21, 1998, and we all know that it supported the controller. Back then it wasn't seen as a necessity, however, since most people didn't have the controller.

gamers today are so goddamn spoiled.

when i was growing up, i had a sega master system. 2 frickin buttons and a d-pad. no analog, no start, no select, no goddamn 20 min anime cut sceans, no rumble crap. and your complaing that" aww boo hoo my analog stick no worky"

be a man and quit yer whining.

[quote name='Simon Adebesi']gamers today are so goddamn spoiled.

when i was growing up, i had a sega master system. 2 frickin buttons and a d-pad. no analog, no start, no select, no goddamn 20 min anime cut sceans, no rumble crap. and your complaing that" aww boo hoo my analog stick no worky"

be a man and quit yer whining.[/quote]

Let me guess...you had to walk uphill both ways (and in the snow, barefoot and nude) to get to the nearest game store? :wink:

naa, back then game stores didn't exist. you had to walk all the way to the company headquarters to get the games, and most of those where in japan. (there weren't planes yet either)

Pardon the repost, but I just thought of a better response...

[quote name='Simon Adebesi']gamers today are so goddamn spoiled.

be a man and quit yer whining.[/quote]

Oh yeah? Well back in MY day, we had the 2600! ONE button and a DIGITAL joystick! All of our characters were colored blocks! We had to deal with E.T! And we LIKED IT that way!

/actually 17, but owned a 2600 nonetheless

bread's done
Back