No game in Brand New Game Box? Please Help! Thanks

VerbalKint

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
I have a strange question to ask. I bought a Nintendo DS and 2 games for my daughter for christmas. When she went to open one of the games (which was brand new), there was no game in the game case. The other game was intact and both games were purchased brand new at the same store. I watched her open it so I know it wasn't misplaced or dropped. My question is, do I contact the store it was purchased from or Ubisoft?

Did you buy it from Gamestop or EBgames? if so they remove games for display and may have resealed it without the cartridge inside.

Don't know what else to tell you, it's going to be a hard sell to either UBi or the store that i opened it and there was no game, can i please have another. :cold:

no, it was bought at FYE. I realize it hard to believe but I mean come on, how many people really have this happen to them? Then again, how many people try this despite really getting a game?
Any other advice?

you are screwed.....no one is gonna believe that story no matter how true it might be..like the people who buy stuff from Best Buy and there is a brick in the box

Going to be difficult because they most likely aren't going to believe you.

Gamestop/EB Games removes the games from shelves and reseals them even though they are new. I would suggest going back to the start and trying, but Ubisoft is probably a no-go. They probably aren't going to believe it.

It's worth a try as long as you give receipt and return the box, I mean it won't hurt.

[quote name='coolsteel']Happens from time to time, especially with dvds. Just take it back tomorrow and explain the situation[/quote]

thanks everyone. I've never heard of something like this. I mean, its a cheap $15 dollar game (Dogz) but I can't help but feel shocked. I mean, having to explain to my daughter that Santa screwed up and didn't put the game in the box is not exactly a planned conversation. lol Thanks again everyone

[quote name='VerbalKint']no, it was bought at FYE. I realize it hard to believe but I mean come on, how many people really have this happen to them? Then again, how many people try this despite really getting a game?
Any other advice?[/quote]Fye does the same as ebames they do happen to reseal ame a lot and put empty boxes on floor.

I think you'll be fine. Just go in calmly and explain the situation. Don't get worked up.

I have had it happen to me several times before (on used games though) where I have gotten home and nothing was in the case. As bad as most people make retailers seem, most of the time you won't have a problem.

I am also going to state that since you have young kids, you probably don't look like a punk teenager making it all the easier for you.

I think you should be able to get it back if you're just going to get the same game.

I've had incidents where I bought used games from EB and they forget to put the games in the cases before they put them in the bag. I just go back ASAP and tell them that they forgot to put the games in the cases. It's happened probably 3-4 times and I've never been accused of trying to rob them.

If you were trying to get store credit/cash back it'd be a different situation but the benefits of having a cart-only copy of Dogz and a complete copy are pretty small and I'm willing to bet that most anyone can see that.

[quote name='Halo05']I think you should be able to get it back if you're just going to get the same game.

I've had incidents where I bought used games from EB and they forget to put the games in the cases before they put them in the bag. I just go back ASAP and tell them that they forgot to put the games in the cases. It's happened probably 3-4 times and I've never been accused of trying to rob them.

If you were trying to get store credit/cash back it'd be a different situation but the benefits of having a cart-only copy of Dogz and a complete copy are pretty small and I'm willing to bet that most anyone can see that.[/quote]

I really appriciate the heads up from everyone. I guess one issue with the whole thing is FYE no longer deals with video games (from my understanding). Store credit will fine but I won't be able to get the game. I'll give it a try tomorrow. Thanks again everyone. CAG is a great site

If they don't give you a new game or your money back, I hope you used a credit card. If you did, do a chargeback on the card and get your money back that way.

I can't remember which game a few years ago, I think it was Final Fantasy 4 Advance for the gameboy. I bought it at Walmart at those bargain bins spot, came home and the game wasn't there. I called and talked to the manager and they gave me a full refund.

Try talking to them nicely before you guilt them into ruining a kid's xmas.

I once bought a GH Crash Bandicoot 2 from Target, and when I opened it Spyro the Dragon was in the case. Target wouldn't do shit about it even though I had called within the hour, and I ended up calling Sony who had no problem sending me the game.

I sent them the Spyro, and after going 6 weeks without getting a Crash Bandicoot 2 I called back and ended up getting two of them in the mail. That really made me appreciate Sony.

I bought Gran Turismo 3 when it first came out from a local new/used game shop, opened it in the car, and there was no disc. We went back and everyone there just kinda laughed about it, but the owner gave me another copy.

Unrelated, but that same game shop went out of business a few months later because they were selling pirated PC games.

[quote name='gokou36']I can't remember which game a few years ago, I think it was Final Fantasy 4 Advance for the gameboy. I bought it at Walmart at those bargain bins spot, came home and the game wasn't there. . . .[/QUOTE]

Same thing happened to me but it was with a copy of Resident Evil for the DS. I explained to the store manager what happened and they gave me a replacement.

Happened to me twice over the years. First one I simply went back into Best Buy and they gave me another one.

The other was a bit trickier... Had the game beyond 30 days so Blockbuster would not do anything. Ended up contacting Midway and they replaced it.

In this situation, you should be fine.... either FYE gives you another one or you contact your credit card company and dispute the charge. Pretty much a win-win.

I dealt with this once at K-Mart, my Viewtiful Joe didn't have a disc in it. They had no more left, but the manager didn't make it too difficult to get my money back.

My parents and I were driving home from the grandparents' years ago and we stopped at a Target on the way and I bought The Sims. When I got home, I found out that the box was filled not with a game, but with newspaper -.-

Fortunately, I was able to exchange it for a real copy. Even better, we were able to do it at our local Target rather than that one 30 miles away. :)

i bought a used copy of call of duty 3 for ps3 and when i went in the car and opened it, it was call of duty for the wii. went right back and the guy switched it out. happens all the time

i think it's common for target stores to just do an exchange for the same game

provided you have a receipt, of course

Any updates?

Maybe have your daughter help you write a letter to Santa.... Could turn this around for an exciting little story for her.

After reading this, I'm interested for an update as well. I'm not sure this is really that uncommon. If you buy enough stuff (DVD's, games, etc), eventually, you are going to run into this.

I think it helps if you are an adult (which, with a child, sounds like you are) and if you don't try to scam stores regularly. I think the truth goes pretty far here. I opened the game and it wasn't there. I don't think it happens regularly, but since machines put all these together, there is an occasional glitch.

The only time I had anything close to this was a used game at Gamestop. I bought it, went to play it the next day, and the case was empty. I went there with my story and quickly got a new copy (though, probably more believable when it's a $5 Tony Hawk 4).

I had this happen to me at CC once, in the clearance bin with a copy of Mega Man X Collection for Gamecube. The plastic was a little bit messed up, but not enough I thought for someone to get the game disc out, but sure enough, I open it up and it's not there. They were pretty good with giving me a refund, but it was only for $13 or so. Now if it were more expensive, who knows...

bread's done
Back