No! I'm getting 4 teeth pulled tomorrow...

naes

CAGiversary!
Feedback
63 (100%)
Ugh, I can't believe I have to get 4 teeth pulled tomorrow... I really wish I didn't have to get them pulled...

To anyone who has had teeth pulled, does it hurt afterwards?

To keep this on topic, has anyone ever had teeth pulled?

My teeth are white, they're just crooked. Very crooked. I haven't had a cavity my whole life.

And yes, I do have braces right now.
[quote name='munch']Never had teeth pulled, but then again I brush mine.[/quote]

I had my 4 wisdom teeth pulled. It hurt for a week, but I didn't have any painkillers.

Got 4 wisdom teeth pulled (it has nothing to do with bad teeth, I've never had any cavities). I was knocked out for a week. Made me feel like total hell. Of course, it seems like it's different for everyone.

Step One: Demand Nitrous Oxide.....if they dont offer it, find another dentist.
Step Two: Demand Novacaine...they'll have this. The worst part is the needle,
which you wont *care* about if you requested step one above

Step Three..four teeth? holy crap, are your British or something? :) Seriously, the worst part will be having those four giant holes in your gums for awhile....its going to feel very weird...tho with those teeth gone the rest of your teeth will likely straighten out.

No, it doesn't hurt afterwards.....if it does, maybe the doc will give you some low-grade Tylenol With Codeine's or something. Wisdom Teeth usually do ache after the fact because they're so far back in the mouth...

Yeah, I've had a tooth pulled... only the second time I've ever had to use any kind of dental anesthetic. The first time was also with that tooth well over ten years ago... the dentist said it was a "hyper-sensitive nerve." It was a doozy... big tooth with two full roots and one 3/4 sized root. The doc had to buzz saw it and yank it out in three parts.

Anyway, expect it to suck. I have a very high tolerance for pain, but it knocked me loopy with the hurt. If you don't take pain very well, see if the doc will knock you completely out. Also, look forward to the dental gauze and then the bloody dental gauze and then the pulling bloody dental gauze off that's starting to stick to the wound. You'll also loose a couple of pounds because eating won't seem like that great of an idea for a while. Good times.

I had 4 wisdom teeth pulled, it was a hellish two weeks of swelling, after a month I was finally pretty much back to normal but it sucked. You will lose your appetite and learn how to hate liquids because of the pain in the gums. It goes away for some people a lot quicker than others.

edit: when I was younger, I had one or two teeth removed because I had an absess on my gums, the absess hurt like hell but the teeth pulling wasn't bad. Wasn't sore afterwards. Location has a lot to do with pain I suppose.

When the docs tell you "don't eat or drink anything 8 hours prior to the operation," listen to them. Even an ounce of water can fuck up the anasthetic. I was semi conscious during my wisdom teeth removal, and recall the sound of them being crushed.

I say "semi-conscious" because I remember very little of it, and the doc became irritated with me b/c I kept asking for my teeth (I wanted to keep them, but was too incoherent to understand that he tried telling me they were destroyed.

It wasn't terrible - but then again, it rarely is, except for my friends who were smokers. They always failed to last the couple of days they couldn't smoke, and dried out their sockets enough to cause massive pain.

I've had all four of my wisdom teeth pulled and it was cake. I don't know what kind of oral surgeons you people had, but all I had was some slight swelling afterwards and couldn't eat for a while, and virtually no pain.

I've had four pulled last summer. Definately demand to be knocked out with novacaine afterwards. Even so, when you wake up, you'll feel like ass. A few hours later, you'll feel worse. Don't drink through a straw whatsoever. And get some painkillers - my dentist prescribed some percocets and that really helped a bit. Two or three days later and you'll be fine.

My best advice would be to have someone take care of you for the first day or so. Trying to do anything after the operation is going to suck balls.

It's really different for everybody. I had four regular teeth pulled for my braces (awake) and four wisdom teeth pulled (not awake) - 8 total. My mouth was pretty much normal and I ate fine the next day, no swelling or anything each time. Although you should eat only soft foods right after the operation. And it didn't really hurt after the numbness wore off or when I woke up from the anesthetics - just a little sore. Just make sure they get everywhere if you are using novacane, otherwise you WILL feel it. And remember to clean the gaps where the teeth used to be after you eat.

I had my 3 wisdom teeth pulled a year ago. Listening to my friends' experiences, it really varies with person. I had a dentist who was really good at pulling teeth. Two of them yanked out really quickly; the third was still inside my gums, so require them cutting through the gums. That last one took some time, so I was really, really glad I requested nitrous oxide (I'm a fairly anxious person). If it's just pulling and your dentist is pretty good, you probably don't even need the nos. The whole process was fairly painless, and I recovered within a day or two. Just keep food/substances away from your wounds, and take your drugs and rest. Actually, for me, the worst thing was the drugs. I ended up vomiting the day after because of the painkillers... I probably could have went without them after the first night.

had 4 pulled (2 wisdom and 2 other ones for space purposes). having the wisdom teeth pulled was an absolute nightmare. so awful. mouth hurt for 2 weeks. every ounce of food i put in my mouth felt like i was eating razor blades.

the other two teeth i had pulled didn't hurt nearly as much.

oh man i was awake for all the teeth being pulled. it sux. everything passes though and you'll get over it eventually. now that i look back on it im like meh whatever.

I had a wisdom tooth out while only under a local. Don't do that if you don't have a stong stomach.

It'll suck for a week and then you'll be back to normal. Try to get your pain pills before the meds they give you wear off. Take the day off of school / work too you'll need it.

You DEFINITELY have to get the sleeping gas. I stayed awake when I got my four teeth pulled (I wanted to save money -_-) and that was just awful. It was painful when they kept numbing my mouth especially the roof and front gums.

It hurt during the process of making my mouth numb. It didn't hurt so much afterwards.

I had a tooth pulled for my braces years and years ago. It wasn't bad at all. It must have been loose or something to begin with, because I remember it being very easy and pain-free. He just hooked this thing up to my tooth that was attached to a box or something, and they gave the tooth a zap and it came right out.

My wisdom teeth required surgery and was a very unpleasant experience there-after...

I don't remember it being so bad that a person should be knocked out prior to pulling them out. I think I was 15 or so when I had mine pulled, 2 one week and 2 the other. I do remember it was mildly amusing when the guy actually got physically exhausted from trying to pull out one of my lower ones and took a 1 minute breather. He was jerking my head back and forth like a Bugs Bunny cartoon.

Oh yeah, and it is tough deciding if you want to go the next day without brushing your teeth. On one hand it hurts like a bitch so you don't want to...but then you feel like total shit all day if you don't brush your teeth...

Had 4 wisdom teeth pulled back when I was in high school. I didn't have pain killers, but make sure you have a game that will keep your mind off the pain. It worked for me, only bad part was switching out gauze dressings whenever too much blood got soaked into it.

[quote name='naes']My teeth are white, they're just crooked. Very crooked. I haven't had a cavity my whole life.

And yes, I do have braces right now.[/QUOTE]

getting your wisdom teeth pulled will help tremendously, not just now but when you get into your 30s and 40s instead of have those molars pressing against your other teeth, they will be out of your mouth.

They should give you anethesia before getting started, even if they give you davorcet or vicotin after, it will still hurt like crazy that first day, and maybe the next day as well.

The vicotin can be extremely addictive so try to get davorcet instead, it isnt as strong, but will still help tremendously.

[quote name='rabbitt']I'm getting my wisdom's yanked in 11 days...

...and counting...[/quote]I hope you (and naes) like yogurt, apple sauce, and smoothies, because that's what I had to lived on for like 2-3 days after getting my wisdom teeth removed, and it sucked.

[quote name='dracula']getting your wisdom teeth pulled will help tremendously, not just now but when you get into your 30s and 40s instead of have those molars pressing against your other teeth, they will be out of your mouth.

They should give you anethesia before getting started, even if they give you davorcet or vicotin after, it will still hurt like crazy that first day, and maybe the next day as well.

The vicotin can be extremely addictive so try to get davorcet instead, it isnt as strong, but will still help tremendously.[/quote]

I'm pretty sure a low dose of darvocet is more potent than Vicodin. Anyway my doc gave me Indocet (generic Percocet), they were great :drool:

I had baby teeth pulled when I was younger and I also got all of my wisdom teeth pulled.

I remembered when they gassed me when they pulled my Wisdoms, I felt all tingly. I was more scared of the needle for when they put me to sleep. I hate needles. Afterwards it was ok, Mr. Percocet was very nice.

A word of advice, don't let any food get stuck in those holes. Dry Sockets = No Bueno. They'll have to cut you back open if you get them.

Yup the holes where the teeth were will probably be annoying you for awhile. You gotta go clean it after every meal. When I had my 4 wisdom teeth taken out they had to use a hammer and chisel to break the tooth up before they can pull it.... i hate dentists...

[quote name='CitizenB']I've never had a any teeth pulled. But I recommend covering your pillow in something to keep the bloody slobber off of it.[/QUOTE]

QFT. Good advice. Pillowcases had to be washed thoroughly after my wisdom teeth came out.

The worst part is the breaking sound it makes when the dentist is yanking the tooth out. If they administer the drugs correctly you wont feel a thing.

I had my wisdom teeth cut out (they were under bone or something like that) and I was eating normal food that same night. It didn't affect me much at all. As others have said, it really varies from person to person.

Also, I don't know how much different having them cut out is compared to pulled out. Might be a big difference in recovery.

I just got back. Wow, my mouth is numb. Hell, my whole body is. Other than that, it's not so bad so far.

[quote name='naes']I just got back. Wow, my mouth is numb. Hell, my whole body is. Other than that, it's not so bad so far.[/QUOTE]

Did they give you any kind of pain killers to take whenever it got too much?

Some Extra-Strength Tylenol. That's it.
[quote name='rabbitt']Did they give you any kind of pain killers to take whenever it got too much?[/quote]

right now i'm weighing this option... get another root canal in a molar I've already had a root canal in OR pull the tooth and get an implant.

What a sweet choice!

[quote name='Frogger']right now i'm weighing this option... get another root canal in a molar I've already had a root canal in OR pull the tooth and get an implant.[/QUOTE]

Yank it... that tooth is bad for the morale of your other teeth. By seeing it dragged out into the street of your mouth and slaughtered like a pig, your other teeth will learn and behave themselves for fear of being next.

[quote name='naes']Some Extra-Strength Tylenol. That's it.[/quote]

PWNED. Nah I mean that's cool.. to tell you the truth I saved my pills. The pain wasn't that unbearable... Advil helped enough.

[quote name='Scobie']Yank it... that tooth is bad for the morale of your other teeth. By seeing it dragged out into the street of your mouth and slaughtered like a pig, your other teeth will learn and behave themselves for fear of being next.[/QUOTE]

fuck yeah, i like your attitude :)

Only time I had some teeth removed were my baby teeth.

Havent had my wisdom teeth removed yet and these stories about them getting removed are scary as hell. Just wondering but what age were you guys/gals at when you had them removed?

[quote name='TheRock88']Only time I had some teeth removed were my baby teeth.

Havent had my wisdom teeth removed yet and these stories about them getting removed are scary as hell. Just wondering but what age were you guys/gals at when you had them removed?[/quote]

I had them taken out late last June so, 21 and a few weeks

I got all four wisdom teeth yanked (and I think two were latched to my jaw bone, so there was some minor surgery, or whatever you want to call it). It's nowhere near as bad as everyone makes it out to be -- in fact, it's quite fun.

I was using vicodin for a month, or so. It made my days toiling away, part-time, at Kmart quite easy. I was also trying to court a girl at work, whom had a boyfriend, so I think it totally obliterated my inhibitions. (I humped her and stole her away from her boyfriend.)

Back to the teeth pulling: It doesn't really hurt all that much, in my opinion. The cotton and blood was annoying, though.

When I had my spinal surgery, though, I wasn't as doped up after the operation. I'm talking about the time where you wake up and are carried home. I think I was speaking in tongues when I left the orthodontist, but I was relatively normal when I was leaving the hospital after my spinal surgery -- I think the pain sobered me up.

The medication I was taking for that, though, had me high as a kite. This was around the time Resident Evil 4 came out, so I played and beat that shit all the while I was in another dimension.

I've had 6 teeth pulled and braces. It usually doesn't hurt afterwards. You might be a little numb and swollen. ask them to put you under it might makes things easier, since that dam Novicane still lets me hear my teeth being yanked out.

bread's done
Back