no love for the Gamecube?

Need that new Street Fighter pad...

If Nintendo can give away a free bongo controller with Donkey Konga, how 'bout a special fighting pad with a new fighter?

Nintendo can afford to give away a controller with a first party Nintendo game but not with a 3rd party game.

[quote name='randomizer9']Methinks we need more GAMES, period. MK:Double Dash was the last Cube game I bought.[/quote]

IMO the Cube has the most must have holiday games this season

Donkey Konga, Star Fox, RE4, MP2, Killer 7 will all probably get bought the first day by me

We may have the must-have games... but there is still and will never be love for the Gamecube... it's a slap in the face everytime something like Fight Night or NBA Ballers is released on XBox and PS2 but not GC. Even Van Helsing wasn't on GC. I wouldn't have been surprised if Spiderman 2 glossed the GC over too. They might as well make a sticker for those games that says "Only on XBox/PS2" a la the ones GC have.

And any discussion of the lack of love for GC must include the online (or lack thereof) capabilities.

[quote name='randomizer9']Methinks we need more GAMES, period. MK:Double Dash was the last Cube game I bought.[/quote]

Oddly enough that was the first cube game I got.

I say fighters should stick to the PS2, since the controller is much better. Super Smash is enough for me.

IMO, Xbox has the weakest game selection.

spiderman 2 indeed got released for all 3 consoles.

on the radar dont forget: batan kaido(my gawd the promo trailer looks damn nice), tales of symphnia, viewtiful joe 2, donkey konga, and next year new metroid, zelda, 128 mario, paper mario, animal crossing 2, pikman 2. who said theres no love for the gamecube???

[quote name='coolsteel']Eh I think you just hit the nail on the head, the cube controller sucks for fighters, there is no escaping it.[/quote]

indeed it does... sigh.. but the nes GC controller works great! IMO blows ps2 controllers out of the water. xbox... i say no competition, thats y they had to release a revised controller, realizing that controllers shouldnt be bigger than your head.

what fighters do you play on the cube. Super Smash Bros. control is fine and once you get used to soul calibur it feels really comfertable. Sure arcade fighters are not that great but there is only one on the system

[quote name='NateWhs152']what fighters do you play on the cube. Super Smash Bros. control is fine and once you get used to soul calibur it feels really comfertable. Sure arcade fighters are not that great but there is only one on the system[/quote]

I disagree, I have owned the xbox and gamecube versions of Soul Calibur 2 at some point and the cube control just never reached the level of comfort I found with the controller S on the xbox. Something just felt off about it.

For all of those games people are excited about? How many of them are made by Nintendo. The system is dead as the Dreamcast in January of 2001, only first party software is keeping it alive.

[quote name='NateWhs152']what fighters do you play on the cube. Super Smash Bros. control is fine and once you get used to soul calibur it feels really comfertable. Sure arcade fighters are not that great but there is only one on the system[/quote]
I agree with cool. I can't imagine Super Smash being better on another system, but Soul Calibur is completely different. I've tried all 3 consoles, and Gamecube is clearly the worst. The d-pad is tiny, making it feel uncomfortable and much harder to do Ivy's throw. The button layout is also awkward, making the B+G grab or K+G for some cases like Yoshimitsu or Voldo harder to use. The only thing I like about the Gamecube version is Link.

Seeing as Smash Bros. is one big Nintendo trademark fest its hard to imagine the game being on another system at all, quality aside. Nintendo would have to follow Sega in getting out of the console hardware side before that would be remotely probable.

If you really prefer the PS2 controller there are adpaters to use it on the GC, you know. This won't increase the choice of fighting games but its an improvement.

I've never cared for for the fighting genre and most of my GC games (27 as of this week) are exclusives so the control scheme isn't a multi-platform compromise.

[quote name='PittsburghAfterDark']For all of those games people are excited about? How many of them are made by Nintendo. The system is dead as the Dreamcast in January of 2001, only first party software is keeping it alive.[/quote]

That's a ridiculous statement. There are a whole bunch of third-party games that are highly anticipated, including best-of-E3 Resident Evil 4, Viewtiful Joe 2, Tales of Symphonia, Killer 7, Baten Kaitos, etc. Even StarFox is being made by Namco so you could add that too.

[quote name='JAMMR']We may have the must-have games... but there is still and will never be love for the Gamecube... it's a slap in the face everytime something like Fight Night or NBA Ballers is released on XBox and PS2 but not GC. Even Van Helsing wasn't on GC. I wouldn't have been surprised if Spiderman 2 glossed the GC over too. They might as well make a sticker for those games that says "Only on XBox/PS2" a la the ones GC have.

And any discussion of the lack of love for GC must include the online (or lack thereof) capabilities.[/quote]

Yeah. It's really hurting me when I don't get a shot at NBA Ballers or Def Jam on my Cube.

The GCN controller is not ideal for fighters, but that doesn't mean it can't be comfortable. There's a fellow above who mentioned owning both the GCN and XBX versions and enjoying the XBX version more (control wise) - the GCN D pad may be small, but at least it doesn't feel like a cheap pile of shit, which is my opinion on the XBX D pad.

I've owned both Soul Calibur II and MK V on the GCN with no issues control-wise. Smash Bros. is the only fighter in my life, though ;-)

Yeah, I agree. A lot of cross platform games are not being done on the GC. And while a lot of those are for online reasons, Burnout 3, a lot of them it just seems to be the popular thing to do. I have seen numerous games that sold more, hundreds of thousands more, on the GC than the XBox, but lo and behold the sequel is skipping th GC. I don't get it, it just doesn't make much business sense. That being said, GC has the best first party developer and a lot of the best console exclusive games. I personally think it has the strongest christmas, followed closely by the xbox. Nothing in the PS2 lineup for this christmas is rocking my world.

Donkey Konga looks like a must have. Tales symphonia and viewtiful joe 2 and paper mario 2 are the only other ones that I will probably get.

The Cube controller IS difficult for stuff like CVSNK2, but I completely disagree that it's problematic for Soul Calibur II. This is all very subjective of course, but I'm surprised most folks don't see how brilliantly it fits. I mapped kick to B, guard to A, and the vertical and horizontal slashes to the similarly positioned X and Y buttons. It's possibly the most intuitive fighting game setup I've ever seen -- it beats the heck out of the uniform, diamond shaped Dreamcast/PS2/Xbox layout, IMO.

Of course, a good question would be how everyone holds the controller when they play -- I don't know how that would hold up if your were trying to "thumb it" for some reason.

[quote name='Sartori']Yeah. It's really hurting me when I don't get a shot at NBA Ballers or Def Jam on my Cube. [/quote]

Idiot... it's not a question of it hurts you, it hurts the system as a whole and it's ability to be a viable contender with the other 2 consoles. And if we are relatively speaking, it does provide an obstacle for those who just own a GC if they want to play those games. More specifically, I was focused on the shear randomness at which this phenomenon seemingly occurs.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']IMO the Cube has the most must have holiday games this season

Donkey Konga, Star Fox, RE4, MP2, Killer 7 will all probably get bought the first day by me[/quote]

I agree. I'm looking forward to 2 Xbox games, 4 PS2 games, and 8 Cube games in the near future.

Nintendo Controllers (IMO):
NES: OK, but the edges annoyed my hands
SNES: Good
N64: D-Pad blew, control stick was good and revolutionary but the controller itself looks like you need 3 hands, and the controllers don't hold up well.
GC:I really like how this feels in my hands, i don't have to move my hands to touch buttons (like the PS2 controller). I think it looks weird as hell but it does a nice job.

The one problem I have with the GC controller is the Z button... it takes getting used to...

SNES was the best controller...

[quote name='JAMMR'][quote name='Sartori']Yeah. It's really hurting me when I don't get a shot at NBA Ballers or Def Jam on my Cube. [/quote]

Idiot... it's not a question of it hurts you...[/quote]

You know, you could have gotten your point across without calling the other poster an idiot.

Eh, Online isn't something i'm too thrilled about. Most of the games you can go online w/ are either FPS, RTS, or MMORPG's. For that kinda of fun I have a comp. w/ DSL. And I don't have to pay for the service either. But ya, i feel the lack of love for GC. To make up for it I ALWAYS if i can get the GC version of multiplatform games, and encourage others to do so. It's what a fanboy does best!!

bread's done
Back