No PS3 Preorders on GS/EB.com

Considering the backlash stores and employees were getting over teh 360 launch and overextending their preorders, it seems they would rather be safe than sorry in the long run. I can't blame them, really, because it's only really around now where Joe Sixpack realizes that the PS3 is coming out and it's already several months way too late to hopefully grab one for the holidays without a Thursday night sleepover in the street.

[Edit:] Aw, how sweet, EB/GS will give people who were possibly going to get one on Day 1 but are going to miss out a nice used game or movie for $19.99 or less for free for their troubles. Considering in most areas that these people are going to be parents and most adults buying systems would still prefer new over used...oh boy, I expect at least three security issues on launch day at my local EB.

It's not surprising that they oversell their pre-orders. It's money on their books months in advance of having to deliver product. That said if I had a pre-order that didn't get filled I'd be uber-pissed. Not much they can do besides refund the $100 down payment. (Although it doesn't sound like they are planning to do that.)

I just called the store where I had a pre-order. I was 4th in line, which means I'm number 6 after the employees. This is what the guy said:

-They took 16 pre-orders, almost all were for 60GB system
-They expect to receive 12 total, 6 20GB and 6 60GB.
-He said that the employees are supposed to not fulfill their own pre-orders. This will almost certainly be YMMV based on the Gamestop manager.

Since I'm number six in line, even if the employees don't cancel, looks like I'll still be good.

I thought their whole intent was to wait until they had allocations from Sony before they took preorders. Either that went out the window, or Sony shorted them just before launch.

Hopefully they didn't overestimate the Wii as well, since we didn't end up staying in line-up order when we actually paid for our consoles. But the manager knows I was the third non-employee there, so I'll have that if worst comes to worst.

EBGames just updated their PS3 preorder page with the following

Due to the high demand and limited availability of the PlayStation 3 system, we will begin offering online bundles only after our initial in-store pre-orders are filled, which is anticipated before Christmas. We will update this page when new information is available.

If you pre-ordered a PlayStation 3 in-store, you will be contacted by Wednesday evening, regarding launch availability.

Wow, I had a feeling this would be coming given the short notice at this point, but still a first in EB/gamestop online history to not allow system pre-orders at all...

[quote name='animemaniac14']does anyone know if EB is doing a midnight madness thing for the PS3 or Wii?![/QUOTE]
My local is opening early for ps3 and midnight for Wii.

bread's done
Back