No signal from monitor, HELP!

strdr4

CAGiversary!
Feedback
62 (100%)
I'm pulling my hair out over this. My monitor just can't get a signal from my computer. It just won't turn on. I've tried changing video cards, power supplies, heatsinks and monitors. Still no signal. It's definitely something wrong with my computer and not my monitor because it works on another computer.

I've tried taking out th CMOS battery for a little bit then place it back in, but to no avail. I tell you, I'm out of options other than buying a new mobo, which is really not an option since I'm money strapped right now.

ANY HELP would be appreciated. This just started happening today. I decided to clean out the dust in my case. I cleaned the heatsink then plugged everything in and then the problem arised. The monitor would not turn on. I tried another monitor, no solution. Tried PSUs, heatsink, the integrated card. All nothing! I've been at this from the morning.

When I turn on the computer, the fans spin, the lights are on. My keyboard, however lights up but CAPS or numlock doesn't light up.

So... is this going to cost me a ton of money to fix?

Also, if I can' fix this on my own, how much is it going to cost to get a professional to fix it? Should I bring it to an electronics place like FRYs or BestBuy? (geek squad?)

Last edited by a moderator:
I experienced something similar with my monitor once. It turned out that I had got hit with a surge after a lightning store. Obviously the mobo is the last thing you should suspect, rule other things out first, but I'd check it for physical signs of scorching just to be sure.

I don't think so. I've looked throughly throughout. I thought I missed a plug when I was switching PSus or that I might have damaged the mobo when trying to changing heatsinks (Which is a biotch!). Man...I'm stumped. I'm not even very computer literate, so I don't know what else I can do.

My trays won't even pull out so... (gulp)

What you should do is, un-mount your CPU fan again, carefully remove the CPU from the motherboard, and then put it right back in, along with the CPU fan. You should repeat this for your memory as well. Doing this (which doesn't make a lot of sense) often fix problems with computer that is unable to POST.

Didn't work. reinstalled memory, sound card, sink. Still nothing.

I'll buy a video card tomorrow and see if that might fix the problem. I really really hope it's that simple.

Last edited by a moderator:
On your motherboard you should have a clear CMOS jumper. Enable it, remove any extra cards (Video, Sound, etc) and use the on-board video connector. Turn it on. If it works, great. Turn it off, put back in the cards, turn it back on, go into BIOS and disable your on-board video and enjoy.

If that doesn't work, you can remove the MB from the case and put it on a non-conductive surface. Try the same as before (We're basically checking to see if there's any short between the MB and Case) If it works, then look at the MB standoffs to see if any spacers/washers need to be added back to it. If not...

You've basically ruled out everything but the motherboard. If it's a pre-built off the shelf (Dell/HP/Etc) system then it's a bit trickier to replace. If it's a "custom" build, then just try to find the same motherboard, it's pretty easy to replace. Or, upgrade to something else.

As far as having someone else do it... Geek Squad, from my experience (I used to work for a Custom System Builder/Parts Retailer), expensive idiots. I'd look to a local computer shop way before contacting them, however, it could be a fun learning experience to do it yourself.

Thx for the response, but I THINk I might have found the problem. One of the pins from the cpu is had broken off when I was putting it back in. -.-

I ordered a new one and hopefully that'll be the end of it.

And I don't think I have a CMOS jumper. I just switched the battery out instead.

Geek squad wants $100 just to "Inspect" it. Hell No.

[quote name='strdr4']Thx for the response, but I THINk I might have found the problem. One of the pins from the cpu is had broken off when I was putting it back in. -.-

I ordered a new one and hopefully that'll be the end of it.

And I don't think I have a CMOS jumper. I just switched the battery out instead.

Geek squad wants $100 just to "Inspect" it. Hell No.[/quote]

A broken CPU pin would do it. I hope it works out for you. Some boards have the CMOS jumper, some don't. The battery should do the trick either way, I've just run into some MBs that are picky about it.

Back when I was CS manager in the industry, one of our TS guys was talking to a customer we sold a PC to. They still were under warranty with us, but decided to go to Geek Squad instead. $450.00 later and still not working, they called us up. A new MB, free under warranty, got them back on-line. I overnighted the board to them, and made them promise my TS guy that they'd never go to Geek Squad again. :)

bread's done
Back