No signal to monitor (as usual)

psionicjinx

CAGiversary!
Newegg items that went into the build
The monitor to get working

Ok, I built a computer for a friend and then shipped it to them. While I built it and installed everything, it was working fine. It gets to them 5 days later through UPS and they're getting a "no signal" on their monitor. The person who has it, doesn't know too much about computers, so I'm trying to talk them through it all on the phone.

The cpu fires up, lights and fans are running, dvd drive ejects, the hard drive light flashes and comes on.

I had them clear capacitors with the atx. Also cleared the cmos by jumper and battery. They reseated the ram and video card. I had them touch the heat sink fan to see if it was loose or shifted (it didn't budge). They tried another monitor. I had them try both the onboard video as well as the video card. I also had them check the sata cables to make sure they weren't loose, double check the power cables.

What else is there? Only other thing I can think of is to remove the hard drive and video card to test those. Reseating the cpu. I don't know if they can do those things. I'm all up for any ideas anyone has. It's just extremely difficult to do when I'm not actually looking at the computer.

Have him remove the ram and make sure the motherboard gives system beeps; if it doesn't something is not working properly.

[quote name='seen']Have him remove the ram and make sure the motherboard gives system beeps; if it doesn't something is not working properly.[/QUOTE]

Just had him do it and there were no beeps

[quote name='SOSTrooper']Reseating the CPU will be the next thing I would be doing/checking.[/QUOTE]

Bloody hell, that is going to be fun trying to talk him through that on the phone lol. I'll give it a go though

[quote name='FBI-Butters']Is the motherboard connection latched/clicked into place ?[/QUOTE]

Yea, had him go through and check all the cables and asked him if that one was pushed down and he said it was.

Well, after taking off the heatsink and taking out the cpu, he said several of the pins were "bent to hell." He doesn't know if they were like that, or became like that from him twisting the heatsink to break the bond from the Arctic Silver.

I guess we'll see what happens after he gets a new cpu. I'm hoping that was the problem.

I dont really see how twisting the CPU fan can bend 'several' pins on the CPU. Maybe he might've taken the CPU out of the socket at an angle. Anyhow, hopefully a new CPU will fix the problem.

When he plugged the monitor cable into the onboard video port, did he pull the video card first? If not then the board was probably sending the signal through the video card.

[quote name='Richard Longfellow']When he plugged the monitor cable into the onboard video port, did he pull the video card first? If not then the board was probably sending the signal through the video card.[/QUOTE]

Yea, had him take it out to try it. I was going to have him install the video card in his old computer next. Going to wait and see if it was the cpu or not. From there we'll see what happens. Thank you all for the ideas. It is very much appreciated. If it's still screwed up when he gets the cpu in (which I hope he can do), I'll come back again and see what else can be done.

bread's done
Back