No Vita TV in the west?

Erad30

CAGiversary!
PS Vita TV will see wider Asian release in China, South Korea – no western plans says Andrew House
Speaking to Nikkei’s Tech On! blog, Andrew House, the president of Sony Computer Entertainment has revealed the company has no plans for the Vita TV “in the US and European market at this point”. The box will be released in Japan first due to there being “no leading company in Japan’s video streaming market” then afterwards, China and South Korea.

PS-VitaTV.jpg

In particular, Andrew House expressed hopes to find success in the Chinese market for both the Vita TV and other Sony products, primarily due to the expectation that China’s ban on home console sales will soon be lifted. He said that even if the ban is dropped in say, the free trade zone in Shanghai that’ll be a massive market opportunity for Sony.

Talking about the Vita TV itself, Andrew House said it was a better solution than simply adding HDMI out to the Vita itself, as that wouldn’t make it easy for people to play local co-op. On the other hand he argued multiple users connecting up Dualshock 3′s was a pretty good experience.

Of course this is an intrinsically awkward experience for developers, as it means they have to split their attention between creating a split screen multiplayer mode for their games which works on Vita TV and one which works on the Vita itself.

If you’re rusty on your Vita TV details or hardware specs, check out Dave Cook’s excellent write-up here.

Thanks, Gamasutra.

-I really hope this comes out here at some point, Hell if it had a solid release date I might get a regular Vita in anticipation.

It makes perfect sense that they don't have any current plans to release it in NA and EU. Those are the two markets where Sony is most focused on pushing the PS4 right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
But they made that trailer with a White husband in it, so the Vita TV does have prospects here in the west, it's just we have to wait even longer. How is this thing going to hamper PS4 sales, since the consumer will still be more concerned with the PS3 rather than the handheld system? I just don't really understand Sony's decisions, much less not making the Vita many steps above the PSPGo.

It's quite likely that the PS Vita TV will eventually come West. For the time being Sony is focused on bringing it to Asian markets, and with good reason. Sony would have a lot of trouble pushing the PS3 or PS4 in China. The mass market in that area is much more price-shy, and much more prone to software piracy.

But the Vita TV is a great product for that region. It has a strong digital focus, while still providing the option of physical media. The Vita as a hardware platform has proven far more resistant to hacking than it's predecessor. And with it's lower production costs Sony could afford to produce a ton of them for the Asian mass-market. The Vita TV is also a perfect launching platform for later up-selling to either the PS3 or PS4. (since it uses the same peripherals)

It's a much harder sell as a first-time console in the West. We've been used to the likes of the PS3 and 360 for years. China has had a ban on home video game consoles during this entire console cycle. The Vita TV could end up being a big deal there, while it may only be considered a peripheral system in the West.

I thought it was going to release in Japan first and then the US later.
It's been announced for Japan in November, and in Korea and China after that. But at the moment there are no plans to release it anywhere else. Whether or not it will come West will be contingent on whether or not Sony sees a demand for it over here. (also, how well or poorly it fares in its launch regions)

The system actually stands a pretty good chance in Japan. The Japanese appreciate smaller systems, and it doesn't get much smaller than this thing. There will likely be a decent number of Japanese gamers who would actually prefer a more streamlined system like this as opposed to a PS3 or PS4. Space is always at a premium in the land of the rising sun, so small = good. Also, the Japanese have a much higher tolerance for style over detail when it comes to their games visuals. A system with less juice under the hood can still do well over there, so long as it has the RPGs, visual novels, and fighting games.

UGH!!!!!! Me want......NOWWWWWW!!!!!!! I hope they release it in the US, this year! 

I don't think they're going to be able to make those things fast enough.

I want a Vita TV just to replace my PSPGo in the event it kicks the bucket. 

Better yet, give the handheld PS Vita output to a TV and Dualshock 3/4 pairing.  Then I will have no reason to get a Vita TV.

I think it'll come west especially with the demand being "strong" & it has the market/price point to excel. They need to sell as many PS+ subs as possible & this is the way it will strengthen the PS brand over the longterm

Yeah I'm sure it'll come out over here sometime next year. They need all the VITA userbase they can get at this point.

I'm intrested in buying one. I'd much rather play on my TV and not have to worry about battery replacements etc.

Plus it's so much cheaper.

I would buy one if it does well at streaming PS4 games to a different TV in my house. Otherwise, for Vita games, I would play them on the handheld instead.

What are some games that require the touch screen/touch pad?  In other words, what Vita games don't work with the Vita TV?

I don't own a Vita yet. I heard the Vita versions of Uncharted and Killzone don't work.  Also heard that Gravity Rush doesn't work either.

What are some games that require the touch screen/touch pad? In other words, what Vita games don't work with the Vita TV?

I don't own a Vita yet. I heard the Vita versions of Uncharted and Killzone don't work. Also heard that Gravity Rush doesn't work either.
Looking at the list (http://www.jp.playstation.com/psvitatv/game/psvitalist/) there's not a whole lot of the big name / go to vita titles that'll be compatible. Maybe going forward devs will create touch and non-touch controls, but yeah - no lbp vita, gravity rush, uncharted, killzone, smart as, escape plan, etc etc. On the plus side, Soul Sacrifice.

bread's done
Back