No X07 this year?

deadite76

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
I found this over at the xbox.com forums:

Aaron Greenberg, Xbox 360 and Xbox Live Group Product Manager, confirmed that there will be no X07 taking place this year. Instead he said Microsoft will have to find other ways to release their big surprises such as dashboard updates and so on later this year. You can hear him confirm this on the newest Squad XP Podcast.

http://squadxp.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=3636&mode=&order=0&thold=0

I've never heard of this site, but it would be a bummer if it turns out to be true.

fuck!! It's 2004 all over again!!!!.... (actually, 2004 was a good year for gaming... maybe this isn't that bad after all.)

WTf this is terrible. How will we know what to expect for 2008 beyond halo wars or is that 2007? I dont know any games beyond fable 2 for the 360 coming in 2008!

im guessing they are getting rid of it this year to help(keyword help) offset the cost of the 1 billion they lost to fix 360s. Maybe its because of the internal changes with moore leaving and all tho/

Sad because i was looking forward to this more than E3 :(

That sucks. I wanted to see what they have lined up for '08. can't blame them though-- major shit is going down with the XBox right now.

Although this sucks, I guess i can understand. It's just a huge amount of money for Microsoft to spend for nothing more than marketing. They needed some momentum help last year, but right now they really don't.

I'm waiting for everyone to just do online webinars instead of full blown conferences/events. Much cheaper, much more efficient.

Is it possible for them to put a live show on the marketplace?

Or even tape something from their office and just put it up there?

They need something, I have no clue what plans are for 08 besides Halo Wars, Fable 2, and Alan Wake (we need more info on this game!)

[quote name='Flyersfan']Is it possible for them to put a live show on the marketplace?

They need something, I have no clue what plans are for 08 besides Halo Wars, Fable 2, and Alan Wake (we need more info on this game!)[/QUOTE]

exactly. all they need to do is get some lackey to read off titles, release dates, and press play on the trailers. doesn't need to be an extravagant display.

[quote name='Flyersfan']Is it possible for them to put a live show on the marketplace?

They need something, I have no clue what plans are for 08 besides Halo Wars, Fable 2, and Alan Wake (we need more info on this game!)[/QUOTE]

Well, it is possible, other than, even though these shows seem to be for the gamers who already own the system, the real point is to show everyone who doesn't own it what they are going to be missing out on, so you better hurry up and join the club (by buying the system). To put something on marketplace (where you need a 360 to get to), doesn't really seem to get the job done.

MS has really dropped the ball this summer when they really could have put the hurt on Sony.
No 65n chipsets.
No price drop to match PS3.
No new games announced.
Peter Moore leaving.
No online co-op for Halo 3.

They better get it together by this fall.

[quote name='road3283']MS has really dropped the ball this summer when they really could have put the hurt on Sony.
No 65n chipsets.
No new games announced.
Peter Moore leaving.

They better get it together by this fall.[/QUOTE]

All those things you listed only really matter to the general internet community. They will hardly impact sales on an international level - most true gamer nerds have already purchased their next-gen console of choice. At this point it's all about getting someone to pick up another one - something I think Sony may have done a lot of with their price drop. I don't think a show of new games will really drive sales that much (or keep people from jumping ship). A price drop is the biggest deal - and that can come even without a big event to announce it.

What I'm really curious about is whether the lack of x07 is intentional (planned all along), or has to do with recent developments (Moore, or the design-flaw admission).

[quote name='getmyrunon']All those things you listed only really matter to the general internet community. They will hardly impact sales on an international level - most true gamer nerds have already purchased their next-gen console of choice. [/QUOTE]

Well, in a backwards way that's kind of my point; it's not going to impact sales... in my opinion MS needs to be doing everything it can to sell consoles while it's still early in this generation. And at this point it doesn't seem they are... At least from my perspective.

And while 65n and Peter Moore probably don't mean anything to the mainstream crowd I do think hardware problems, price point, and the future lineup of games do resonate with them.

[quote name='road3283']No new games announced.[/quote]

ehem..Scene-It! the all mighty overpriced, didn't that come out years ago in a million variations, system seller!

I am surprised that your all so surprised. Did we really get any shock of anything at E3? What would MS have to show at X07 that they didnt already show at E3? If you ask me I think it is pretty smart, dont spend the money and focus on getting these fucking games out.

[quote name='road3283']Well, in a backwards way that's kind of my point; it's not going to impact sales... in my opinion MS needs to be doing everything it can to sell consoles while it's still early in this generation. And at this point it doesn't seem they are... At least from my perspective.

And while 65n and Peter Moore probably don't mean anything to the mainstream crowd I do think hardware problems, price point, and the future lineup of games do resonate with them.[/QUOTE]

It's not going to impact sales, and it's going to waste money, so why should they do it? Just to make the people who already own their consoles feel better about them?

I agree with you about hardware, price, and future lineup but I think those are all taken care of by separate entities - hardware problems will be reflected by news agencies who report the recalls (anyone know if this has made it into the mainstream?), price will be reported by retailers (strongest), and future lineup by other game sites. Don't really see the need for this kind of press blitz at this stage in the console's life myself, but I see your point.

[quote name='road3283']MS has really dropped the ball this summer when they really could have put the hurt on Sony.[/quote]
They are daily. And Sony is doing that well enough on their own.

No 65n chipsets.
Microsoft's public position on 65nm will always be that it's only to reduce their cost of manufacturing. They are never going to admit or show evidence that 65nm chips are somehow better for the customer for multiple reasons.

It's coming. It's political. To announce a price drop a week after admitting a billion loss on their extended warranty would be a PR shotgun to the head. They will likely announce something when the Halo 3 Xbox comes out.

No new games announced.
Most people are pretty happy with the games they have to look forward to on 360. Microsoft knows they are obliterating the competition in upcoming releases in the near future. Announcing new titles is a card you can only play once. Better to save it after this seasons sales make Sony cry in their pillow.
Peter Moore leaving.
You wanted them to announce him leaving at E3? He got offered more money somewhere else. It happens to everyone. I fail to see how this is "dropping the ball".
Mostly a non-issue.
They better get it together by this fall.
I'm anxious to see your bullet pointed list of everything you would do better this fall if you were microsoft, and why.

[quote name='getmyrunon'] it's going to waste money, so why should they do it? [/QUOTE]

I don’t know if I really care one way or another if there’s an X07... It just seems to me that at some point you want the consumers who are still on the fence to know what games are in the pipeline.

[quote name='thrustbucket']
I'm anxious to see your bullet pointed list of everything you would do better this fall if you were microsoft, and why.[/QUOTE]

Didn’t mean to imply I know what’s best for them. Just making an observation from my perspective that this is a bad time for this series of issues to come up. I thought the whole point of getting the 360 out before the PS3 was that MS knew to gain marketshare they’d have to do it early in this generation before Sony picks up steam. Seems like that window of opportunity is slowly closing for them to really pound Sony and they’ve stumbled a bit here recently.

As you’ve broken down, I imagine all these issues will be worked out in time, but will it be too late? Isn’t the iron hot to strike right now going into the fall?

Obviously, they’ve got a killer lineup of games this fall…but what if also the premium was $200 less than the PS3 and there were also great games on the horizon…I would think that they would crush Sony this holiday.

bread's done
Back