Noise from computer

2poor

CAGiversary!
My computer is making this weird grinding sound. I tried cleaning it out with compressed air, but it's still grinding. Anyone have a clue what the problem might be?

Hmm try harder to pin point the EXACT location of the sound so we can know what hardware it is and further help you more.

My first thought is its the harddrive. but if your comp is still running it probably isnt it or its almost gonna die.
SO immediately make sure its not your Harddrive because if it is and its just starting to grind/scratch alittle its not long before it dies completely.

if its coming from your dvd-drive check to see if any disc you put in there is being scratch anywhere.

or it might be one of you cooling fans, but i dont think they do grindin noises tho.

Ok I think it is from the video card. It doesn't sound like it's coming from the harddrives. Do I replace the fan on the video card or what?

[quote name='2poor']Ok I think it is from the video card. It doesn't sound like it's coming from the harddrives. Do I replace the fan on the video card or what?[/quote]
Do you know what type of card it is?

Damn. Is it worth replacing if I'm not gonna be using this computer anymore? I'm getting a laptop for college and leaving this junker at home in a few weeks. The fan still spins, but not too well.

edit: i tried tilting it and it still makes that stupid sound.

[quote name='2poor']Damn. Is it worth replacing if I'm not gonna be using this computer anymore? I'm getting a laptop for college and leaving this junker at home in a few weeks. The fan still spins, but not too well.

edit: i tried tilting it and it still makes that stupid sound.[/quote]

it'll prolly be $20-30 to replace it... if u want to keep using it replace it ASAP... my buddy cheaped out to see how long he could go before replacing it... long story short he had to buy a new card cause he melted his old one... part of me thinks he did that on purpose cause he wanted a new card..

btw, if the sound goes away when tilting the bearing/bushing is prolly shot... (sorry for correcting u twice oktober, lol)

Had that exact grinding with my 6800 OC, I pulled it out and you wouldn't believe how much dust was compacted inside of the plastic casing. I unscrewed the plastic, cleaned it out with some anti static wipes, a toothpick and compressed air. It never ran better after that, and it dropped my temps tremendously as well. That card was a workhorse.

bread's done
Back