Non Hip-Hop Suggestions for a Hip-Hop Fan

kram

CAG Veteran
So I've pretty much been listening to rap and hip-hop for the last few years, and I feel like its time for me to broaden my musical horizons. But I'm having a bit of trouble finding non-hip-hop music I actually truly enjoy. Examples of my hip-hop likes are stuff like Common, OutKast, Big Tymers, The Roots, Three 6 Mafia, and then of course classic stuff like Biggie and Pac (but thats pretty much implied). Examples of non hip-hop I like are stuff like The Killers, Marley, Chilli Peppers, Santana. I also really like 70's and classic rock like some Doobie Brothers, Chicago, stuff like that (which a lot of the hip-hop I like seems to sample). Any suggestions from the Cheap Ass community of artists / albums that I would like?

well since you are pretty big into hip-hop, check out some Massive Attack, Mezzanine I would suggest... you might dig it and can branch into more acts with that kind of sound.

Seems you like more mellow rock music. Try some Kings of Leon, their newest album. Also Sublime, maybe 311.

Do yourself a favor and start listening to Stevie Wonder (where many, MANY hip hop samples come from)

Start off with...Innervisions. Or Fullfilliness First Finale.

Got a female? Songs in the key of life (first cd/ first 2 records if you're doing it old school) or music of my mind

like a kinda 80's sound? hotter than july

motown sound? where i'm coming from

I'm telling you...youll be foolish to not discover stevie's mastermind of music

If you're a fan of the more drum-beat/bass driven hip hop, you should enjoy this.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDO3sq9kHmY[/media]

Doom Metal.

[quote name='strongpimphand']Do yourself a favor and start listening to Stevie Wonder (where many, MANY hip hop samples come from)

Start off with...Innervisions. Or Fullfilliness First Finale.

Got a female? Songs in the key of life (first cd/ first 2 records if you're doing it old school) or music of my mind

like a kinda 80's sound? hotter than july

motown sound? where i'm coming from

I'm telling you...youll be foolish to not discover stevie's mastermind of music[/QUOTE]

LISTEN TO THIS MAN! :applause:

My favorite non-hip hop band is Incubus. Their earlier stuff can get kind of hard and experimental, while their Make Yourself album is more balanced. They have a DJ so there's some scratching to be heard. Their newer stuff has a more mature sound. Their music can be quite varied but I like almost all of it.

[quote name='Lieutenant Dan']My favorite non-hip hop band is Incubus. Their earlier stuff can get kind of hard and experimental, while their Make Yourself album is more balanced. They have a DJ so there's some scratching to be heard. Their newer stuff has a more mature sound. Their music can be quite varied but I like almost all of it.[/QUOTE]
QFT check out
Slipknot
Korn
Disturbed
Linkin Park
System Of A Down
Deftones
Chimaira
Also check out Guru's Jazzmatazz series

I'm a huge hip-hop head myself. I like listening to punk, metal, emo, alternative, etc every once in a while though. Favorite bands: Amber Pacific, Anberlin, My American Heart, Killswitch Engage, Millencolin, 30 Seconds to Mars, The Mars Volta, etc, etc. These guys are more of the newer rock, different from what you would get if you listened to 70's and 80's stuff (not my cup of tea).

I like listening to trance once in a while too. Not many people enjoy it, but check it out. Love my bass and drum so I suggest Benni Bennasi foremost. If you like the softer, vocal trance, hit up ATB and Above & Beyond for starters. By the way, Ferry Corsten = King.

Man I'm tired. It's rounding off 5am here in California.

Nine Inch Nails - Year Zero should be high on the list.

Good rock music and some crazy electronic shit.

Trent Reznor is Timberland's favorite producer.

[quote name='Sc4rfac3']QFT check out
Slipknot
Korn
Disturbed
Linkin Park
System Of A Down
Deftones
Chimaira
Also check out Guru's Jazzmatazz series[/QUOTE]

You don't want to turn him away from music completely.

Ignore the above post, OP. :puke:

Ballyhoo! has some really nice, chill songs that have some hip-hop influences.
The Herd is a somewhat hip-hop group, but they have some non-hip-hop songs that just have good beats.
ALO has some good songs.
I agree with DestroVega who mentioned Massive Attack, they have some great stuff.
Ratatat is really good at building and creating very solid techno, beat driven songs. I would definitely check them out.
K-OS has some good stuff
The Spoons, Hard-Fi, TV on the Radio, Caesars, and Citizen Cope are also some other great artists or group and you should check them out. I would very, VERY, highly suggest anyone check out Citizen Cope.

I listen to a lot of hip-hop as well, and I find all these bands appealing and listen to them a lot along with Lupe, Eminem, Danger Mouse, Jemini, Common, Kid Cudi, Method Man, Red Man, B.o.B, Black Star, or Talib Kweli (his solo stuff, when he's not in Black Star).
Hope I gave you some good suggestions!

[quote name='rabbitt']You don't want to turn him away from music completely.

Ignore the above post, OP. :puke:[/QUOTE]
:roll:, OP also check out
Prince
Moby
SA-RA
Tortured Soul
Three Days Grace
Hinder
Lenny Kravitz
Damian Marley
Stephen Marley
I love hip-hop but i like a lot of other stuff also.
I picked up a couple drum and bass mix tapes and found i loved that genre. You might not like everything that has been suggested nut its not gonna hurt you to check it out.

[quote name='Sc4rfac3']:roll:, OP also check out
Prince
Moby
SA-RA
Tortured Soul
Three Days Grace
Hinder
Lenny Kravitz
Damian Marley
Stephen Marley
I picked up a couple drum and bass mix tapes and found i loved that genre. You might not like everything that has been suggested nut its not gonna hurt you to check it out.[/QUOTE]

Just recommend Nickelback and get it over with.

Slipknot
Korn
Disturbed
Linkin Park
System Of A Down
Deftones
Chimaira
Also check out Guru's Jazzmatazz series[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Sc4rfac3']:roll:, OP also check out
Prince
Moby
SA-RA
Tortured Soul
Three Days Grace
Hinder
Lenny Kravitz
Damian Marley
Stephen Marley
I picked up a couple drum and bass mix tapes and found i loved that genre. You might not like everything that has been suggested nut its not gonna hurt you to check it out.[/QUOTE]
Jesus. Is this guy being Punk'd?

Thanks for all the suggestions guys! I'm definitely gonna look into some of these suggestions. While a lot of artists have been thrown around, would you mind giving some album recommendations? A lot of the artists mentioned have huge libraries and I have no idea where to start (and in my experiences, many artists have at least 1 awful album in the catalogs). Thanks so much Cheap Asses!

First off you have only listened to what i would say is mainstream hip hop.
..check out some U/G stuff

Def Jux
El-P
Aesop Rock
Atmosphere/Slug
MF Doom
early buck 65
Sage Francis
Cannibal Ox - Cold Vein Album
Cage - Depart From Me/Hell'z Winter/ Movies for the Blind all albums
other than that non hip hopvvvv

Death From Above 1979
Crystal Castles
Cream
Queens of the Stone Age
Led Zeppelin
Black Sabbath
Beach Boys - Smiley Smile album
Beatles-everything

Well, based on the fact you like hiphop/rap, I'd suggest Linkin Park (Hybrid Theory, Collision Course w/ Jay-Z) and Chronic Future (Lines In My Face). Also, even thought they are more rap than anything else, Lifeseeker.

As for something completely different, try Avenged Sevenfold's City of Evil. They had a song from there in Madden 06, and I remember a few of my friends who like nothing but rap/hiphop saying that they liked that song. In fact, AS is probably the band they shifted my music preference from hiphop to rock (well, I think they're technically metal but I don't understand subgenres).

[quote name='kram']Thanks for all the suggestions guys! I'm definitely gonna look into some of these suggestions. While a lot of artists have been thrown around, would you mind giving some album recommendations? A lot of the artists mentioned have huge libraries and I have no idea where to start (and in my experiences, many artists have at least 1 awful album in the catalogs). Thanks so much Cheap Asses![/QUOTE]
Your welcome dude anytime!
Damien Marley - Welcome to Jamrock
Stephen Marley - Mind Control
311 -311
Incubus - Morning View
Tech N9ne - Killer
Korn - Follow The Leader
Dead Prez - Revolutionary But Gangsta
The Foreign Exchange - Leave It All Behind
Interpol - Turn On The Bright Light
System of A Down - Toxicity
Somebody said check out some underground rap I found series of
mixtapes called Mellow Beats its pretty good check it out

[quote name='kram']So I've pretty much been listening to rap and hip-hop for the last few years, and I feel like its time for me to broaden my musical horizons. But I'm having a bit of trouble finding non-hip-hop music I actually truly enjoy. Examples of my hip-hop likes are stuff like Common, OutKast, Big Tymers, The Roots, Three 6 Mafia, and then of course classic stuff like Biggie and Pac (but thats pretty much implied). Examples of non hip-hop I like are stuff like The Killers, Marley, Chilli Peppers, Santana. I also really like 70's and classic rock like some Doobie Brothers, Chicago, stuff like that (which a lot of the hip-hop I like seems to sample). Any suggestions from the Cheap Ass community of artists / albums that I would like?[/QUOTE]
I think I'll throw out some bands, seeing as how you seem to have the exact same tastes as me (almost!). funny, a few years ago I was in the exact opposite position of you until I discovered the Roots ;)

My suggestions are ...
Led Zeppelin - Coda (Album)

[quote name='kram']Thanks for all the suggestions guys! I'm definitely gonna look into some of these suggestions. While a lot of artists have been thrown around, would you mind giving some album recommendations? A lot of the artists mentioned have huge libraries and I have no idea where to start (and in my experiences, many artists have at least 1 awful album in the catalogs). Thanks so much Cheap Asses![/QUOTE]

Nine Inch Nails - Year Zero
Prince - Purple Rain
Everything by Parliament and Funkadelic (Dr. Dre sampled them heavily)

I'm a huge hip hop fan but here are some of my faves from the rock world (in order of preference):

Jimi Hendrix -- any greatest hits compilation
The Doors -- Greatest Hits
Green Day -- Dookie and American Idiot
U2 -- The Joshua Tree
Weezer -- blue album
Sublime -- self titled
AC/DC -- Back in Black
Pink Floyd -- The Wall and Dark Side of the Moon
Counting Crows -- August and Everything After
Live -- Throwing Copper
Bush -- 6teen Stone

Katy Perry
Boys Like Girls
Britney Spears
Justin Timberlake
Taylor Swift
Kings of Leon
Lady Gaga
Jessie James

I went through the popular music station's recently played list and picked those out for you. You're welcome.

Good luck, though. If I had to listen to songs by even half the artists mentioned in this thread, I'd be looking for the nearest pistol to end my misery.

[quote name='DarkSageRK']Katy Perry
Boys Like Girls
Britney Spears
Justin Timberlake
Taylor Swift
Kings of Leon
Lady Gaga
Jessie James

I went through the popular music station's recently played list and picked those out for you. You're welcome.

Good luck, though. If I had to listen to songs by even half the artists mentioned in this thread, I'd be looking for the nearest pistol to end my misery.[/QUOTE]

You're a prick. Kings of Leon is the only good band/artist on the list and you can't even take credit for knowing a damn thing about their music.

>>Kings of Leon
>>good band

Sure, bro.

FYI, I literally just copied down a few bands from this list because, hey, it's popular music and I figured the guy wanted to hang with the cool, trendy kids instead of the music nerds.

What the fuck are you talking about, dude. He's talking about liking bands like Chicago and you're just spewing out crap you can't even personally recommend. Go threadcrap somewhere else, dick.

It truly saddens me to see neither Heart nor Rage Against The Machine on any of the current lists. Since you're into The Killers I'd also recommend The Strokes & The Pixies. If indecipherable lyrics aren't a big deal to you than I'd also highly recommend The Pillows (Japanese Alternative Rock) since they are indeed my favorite band of all time, as well their genre.

You should also check out Maze (R&B), Tears For Fears (New Wave), The Frames (Indie Rock) and Scoobie Do (Japanese Funk) whenever you can.

Slipknot
Korn
Disturbed
Linkin Park
System Of A Down
Deftones
Chimaira
Also check out Guru's Jazzmatazz series[/QUOTE]nothing there is good except 311

Illmatic, if you havent already. Black Star is good, new Mos Def, Atmosphere, Madvillain

bread's done
Back