Non-iPod MP3 Player Suggestions Please

jzerot1437

CAG Veteran
I'm in the market for a new MP3 player that isn't an iPod. I would normally go iPod, but they're insanely expensive and break too often. I'd like to keep it under $120, and want it to play video and hold 40+ gigs. Those are my only real requirements, but I'd also like something that's quality.

Thanks!

[quote name='jzerot1437']I'd like to keep it under $120, and want it to play video and hold 40+ gigs.[/QUOTE]

Not happening.

Your best bet is a used first-gen 30 gig Zune off eBay. You could score that for around $120.

Actually, now that I think of it, I only need about a 4-8 gig for gym use. Anything larger is going to be unwieldy in the gym.

How long are you at the gym?! I don't see how you'd go through 4-8gbs in that time. Also, I think you'll probably want something SMALL. I say look into the iRiver S10 only goes up to 2gbs though. I have one for sale, but I don't know if I should sell it.

[quote name='VipFREAK']How long are you at the gym?! I don't see how you'd go through 4-8gbs in that time. Also, I think you'll probably want something SMALL. I say look into the iRiver S10 only goes up to 2gbs though. I have one for sale, but I don't know if I should sell it.[/quote]

I'm usually there for 2-2.5 hours. I want podcasts, obviously, but I also want variety.

I'm not totally certain, but don't some podcasts offer a file for people that don't have an ipod like in Mp3 format? If it helps the S10 has a built in Radio too. Pretty cool considering it's the size of a Shuffle and has a SCREEN. pss... it can also shuffle songs too!

[quote name='VipFREAK']I'm not totally certain, but don't some podcasts offer a file for people that don't have an ipod like in Mp3 format?[/QUOTE]

Podcasts are nothing more than plain-ol' MP3 files. I really really REALLY hate the term "podcast," because it confuses a lot of people into thinking they're something only the iPod offers (which is exactly what Apple wants people to think, of course). I think they should just be called "MP3 Radio Shows."

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']I think they should just be called "MP3 Radio Shows."[/quote]

Except that's long, unwieldy, and doesn't sound as good.

I think I'm gonna go for the Sansa Fuze. My local Wal Mart has the 2 gig for $65, then I can use my micro-SD cards for more size. I could wait until Black Friday and weather the shitstorm to save $15 at BB or CC, but I don't know that it's worth it to go out into that mess.

[quote name='Jesus_S_Preston']Except that's long, unwieldy, and doesn't sound as good.[/QUOTE]

Fine, suit yourself, buy into Apple's bullshit "hip" marketing buzzwords.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='jzerot1437']I think I'm gonna go for the Sansa Fuze. My local Wal Mart has the 2 gig for $65, then I can use my micro-SD cards for more size. I could wait until Black Friday and weather the shitstorm to save $15 at BB or CC, but I don't know that it's worth it to go out into that mess.[/QUOTE]

Get the Sansa e250 instead. It has a user replaceable battery, cheaper, and is just generally a better value per dollar. http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Sansa...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1220591025&sr=8-1

[quote name='VAD3R or Fro']I use a PSP with a 8 gig memory stick.[/QUOTE]

Read the thread.

I defy anyone to name a less gym-friendly MP3 player than the PSP.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Read the thread.

I defy anyone to name a less gym-friendly MP3 player than the PSP.[/quote]

A desktop.

;)

Woot.com has had 30 GB Zunes for under $100 on several occasions. Amazon was also making good offers on the first gen model but I suspect the well has run dry.

Consider a no-name for low-end needs. I have a 2 GB unit I got on a promotion from Office Depot for $15 after rebate. Works great except for the annoying inability to be used while it is charging. I have an older 2 GB unit that runs on AAA batteries and doesn't support USB 2.0 speed that I use if I'm on a long trip and the newer unit runs low on power.

Office Depot has that 2 GB unit in their ad for Black Friday at $20 with no rebate needed.

OfficeMax is showing a 4 GB model for $25.

Best Buy has an 8 GB Sansa Fuze for $70.

There are plenty of choices out there and the prices just keep getting better.

bread's done
Back