Non-subscription DVR/TV recorder?

Vinny

CAGiversary!
Feedback
216 (100%)
I don't know if such a thing exists but back in the day, we could just set the timer on our VCR and have it record a show/program. I know they made DVD recorders like that but are there any HDD based units that can record satellite broadcasts (Dish, if it matters- with an older unit that outputs via the coaxial cable line). I can PCs can do this with capture cards but that's not an option.

I know you can get TIVO or DVRs from Dish but I'd rather not pay a monthly fee (out satellite bill is high enough). I just want an individual unit that can record programs during a time I set...

Not cheap ($374.99), but...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._K_DMR_EH59GA_K_Multi_Zone_250GB_HDD_DVD.html

Hard Disk Drive Recording
The versatile DMR-EH59GA-K lets you record TV programs on the hard disk drive (HDD), as well as copy music, movies, and photos to it. Recording time using the HDD ranges from 55 hours in XP Mode to 441 hours in EP Mode.

If you're going to use this on its own, the tuner in it is PAL, not NTSC. But you might be able to use your Dish receiver as an input.

Inputs:

RF x 1
S-Video x 2
Composite Video x 1
Audio L/R x 2

There's also this, but I can't find a lot of details on the specs of it:

http://www.google.com/products/cata...a=X&ei=6L89T4fCGO_aiQKU1vS_AQ&ved=0CHMQ8wIwAA

Search for "hdd recorder" on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=hdd+recorder

Last edited by a moderator:
Holy hell... I figured there was a market of this type of thing but I guess not. Shit, at these prices, I might as well fire up the old VCR and use up whatever quality is left on those old tapes.:lol: Looks like a lot of these are expensive due to features that I don't want/need (upconversion, multi-media players, etc.).

Thanks for the info.:)

[quote name='Vinny']Holy hell... I figured there was a market of this type of thing but I guess not.[/QUOTE]

I don't think it's a case where there's not a demographic for it, I assume it's more about the subscription providers keeping a tight, proprietary, money-grubbing chokehold all over the throats of these would-be consumers.

When my gf and I first got our apt together we looked into alternatives to our cable provider's dvr subscription and found pretty much what you have--that there really are none.

[quote name='Vinny']Holy hell... I figured there was a market of this type of thing but I guess not. Shit, at these prices, I might as well fire up the old VCR and use up whatever quality is left on those old tapes.:lol: Looks like a lot of these are expensive due to features that I don't want/need (upconversion, multi-media players, etc.).

Thanks for the info.:)[/QUOTE]

I know you mentioned that you aren't interested in a PC based solution, why not?

I built a Windows Media Center based DVR that records OTA HD broadcasts and it cost under $400 about 2 years ago. You can do better than that now, and if you have any PC parts laying around, you can save some scratch.

Plus, you end up with a PC that you can use to do all sorts of other stuff with if you desire.

I'm not very proficient in linux, but if you are, a lot of people swear by MythTV, and the OS and software are totally free there.

The VCR works too though :)

[quote name='TXboxGuY']Could this be what you're looking for?

http://www.amazon.com/MAGNAVOX-MDR5...KOKK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1329457002&sr=8-3

From reading the reviews, it seems to work like a Tivo but NO subscription and VCR-like programming.[/QUOTE]

Yeah... except I was hoping they're cheaper.

[quote name='mang9432']I know you mentioned that you aren't interested in a PC based solution, why not?

I built a Windows Media Center based DVR that records OTA HD broadcasts and it cost under $400 about 2 years ago. You can do better than that now, and if you have any PC parts laying around, you can save some scratch.

Plus, you end up with a PC that you can use to do all sorts of other stuff with if you desire.

I'm not very proficient in linux, but if you are, a lot of people swear by MythTV, and the OS and software are totally free there.

The VCR works too though :)[/QUOTE]

Mainly because I want something that's light weight and easy to use (it's for my mom) and don't want to pay for features that won't be used. It will cost at lest $300 (OS alone costs $100) to build a HTPC, it's not as cheap as people make it out to be... not to mention that it'll build up some issue sooner or later, which I can easily solve, but I just want something she can turn on, set a time to record or just play what's been recorded.

If you don't have cable (which I'm assuming you don't since you don't have a TIVO or DVR), why would you need something to record TV? You should be able to make due with Hulu and such.

[quote name='TXboxGuY']Wal-mart has it for $220 online.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Magnavox-MDR-513H-F7-320GB-DVR-and-DVD-Recorder/14291489[/QUOTE]

I'll look into that, thanks.

[quote name='MasterSun1']If you don't have cable (which I'm assuming you don't since you don't have a TIVO or DVR), why would you need something to record TV? You should be able to make due with Hulu and such.[/QUOTE]

It's for international programming, and none of the shows she wants to watch are not available on Hulu and whatnot. And it's not for me, it's for my mom... our Dish bill is ridiculiously high, given they're the only ones who provide the channels and it seems like they raise the rates on these bundles every few months.

i have one of these buried in my basement i got it for like 300bucks years ago. well should say FREE USING THE BEST BUY MCDONALD BUCKS .. comcast has given me the free DVR BOx for the last 5 + years i dont know why anyone would pay to rent on..

call up and say i want to cancel and they will offer it to you for free (same way i been getting all the movie channels hbo,show ect ect ect free for the last 2 years)

bread's done
Back