Not Buying from EB/Gamestop

Blind the Thief

CAGiversary!
So, all this crap I had to deal with concerning getting Subsistence from EB was the last straw. I've decided I'm going to try, to the best of my ability, to avoid purchasing stuff from them from now on...so I'm wondering what other people do to get games.

Obviously, you can get stuff from Bestbuys, Toys R Us, etc... (no Gamecrazy or Gamerush close enough to me, sadly). But what about stuff I really want to preorder, to ensure a copy? Okami and Twilight Princess, for example, are two games I'll be picking up at launch for sure...and though I'm not worried about stores not having Zelda...it's nice to have piece of mind to ensure I get it, and on release day, y'know?

I know TRU will sometimes preorder hardware, but other than that...any suggestions? I've never really had to be conscious of where I buy stuff before, so I guess I'm just lookin' to hear how other people do it. *shrugs*

I do most of my game buying online. The only game store within 45 min is gamecrazy, so they get most of my business. Used to drop by TRU quite often, but mine was one of the ones to close.

[quote name='Blind the Thief']So, all this crap I had to deal with concerning getting Subsistence from EB was the last straw. I've decided I'm going to try, to the best of my ability, to avoid purchasing stuff from them from now on...so I'm wondering what other people do to get games.

Obviously, you can get stuff from Bestbuys, Toys R Us, etc... (no Gamecrazy or Gamerush close enough to me, sadly). But what about stuff I really want to preorder, to ensure a copy? Okami and Twilight Princess, for example, are two games I'll be picking up at launch for sure...and though I'm not worried about stores not having Zelda...it's nice to have piece of mind to ensure I get it, and on release day, y'know?

I know TRU will sometimes preorder hardware, but other than that...any suggestions? I've never really had to be conscious of where I buy stuff before, so I guess I'm just lookin' to hear how other people do it. *shrugs*[/QUOTE]
TRU currently has a preorder available for Twighlight Princess, nothing for Okami though...If that helps any.

Most Bestbuys are doing preorders for big titles.

With no GC or GR around, I think you're SOL. I would just do it online at Gogamer.com or some other gaming site that takes preorders.

Now that there is no guarantee that I'll receive the case and manual with a used game purchase from EB my online used game purchases will cease entirely.

Am I the only one that got their account deleted? My account got deleted. But for some reason, one of my preorder was shipped. I could only access my preorder through the email they sent me. I tried accessing my account on ebgame and it stated it doesn't have records of my account. Pretty Weird. I think some of my preorders for some games are canceled.

[quote name='Graystone']Most Bestbuys are doing preorders for big titles.

[/QUOTE]

but they don't have the bonus freebies

i wish there was a gamecrazy near me.

:whistle2:(

Online shopping's the way to go. While it's not a place to get a great deal or anything, NCSX.com is one of the most reliable stores I've used. If you import games like I do, it's a godsend.

I'm starting to do most of my game purchasing online now, and with EB website not taking Edge cards anymore and stacking coupons, it looks like they've lost my business. I very rarely buy games from EB/Gamstop B&M shops, and now I'm not buying from them online as well. eStarland and Video Game Depot look like pretty good sites.

For preorder goodies, I think online is the best. Whenever I preordered stuff in store- it was hit or miss usually. I missed out on the SCII artbook, Lunar 2 punch puppet, and some others.

Online, I missed one, which was the DDS2 soundtrack. But luckily, Atlus came through for me and sent me one after I showed them proof of preorder.

The thing is, you can't really blame the stores for this instance. Konami just didn't produce enough copies of it for some strange reason. The guys at my EB are probably the nicest around and they said they got less than they actually preordered for.

Luckily, our GC wasn't as nice and ended up selling some unluck guy's copy to my brother.

[quote name='Blind the Thief']Okami and Twilight Princess, for example, are two games I'll be picking up at launch for sure...and though I'm not worried about stores not having Zelda...it's nice to have piece of mind to ensure I get it, and on release day, y'know?
[/QUOTE]

Please, Best Buy will have 100 copies of Twilight Princess and will probably get it sooner then EB / Gamestop.

The local Best Buy here had Kingdom Hearts 2 stocked way ahead of the game stores, and had about 50 - 100 copies to boot. They've gotten REALLY good about getting high profile games the day the game stores do... I do not doubt they will stock Zelda the day it comes out.

With Okami you might not have a choice other then to go with EB / Gamestop.

mom and pop stores yo.

they got the shit,

and u can always get hella cool w/ the ppl who work there.

that way they'll get u anything.

but most preorder bonuses are gamestop and eb I think,

so in that sense ure outta luck

Really, I've found WalMart to be my best bet for getting new games early on. They don't have a preorder system, but in my mind preorders only serve to tie you down to a particular store. Unless you get free overnight shipping online, I think your best bet for new games is to call the WalMarts, Targets, Kmarts, Best Buys, TRUs, etc, the days leading up to a game's release and see if they have it. For the DS stuff I've been pumped about, I've always gotten my game on Monday evening (if not Sunday) from WalMart, while EB/GS and other places don't get it in till Wednesday or Thursday.

Eb/GS website is the horrible "backstock" routine now. No more great deals with 25% off and ebsaver shipping. No more games coming with cases or inserts. I'll be sticking to Fleabay for used and anywhere else for new.

[quote name='kaw']Now that there is no guarantee that I'll receive the case and manual with a used game purchase from EB my online used game purchases will cease entirely.[/quote]

Same here. RIP ebgames.

The problem is that the majority of companies I buy games from, I have to go through EB / Gamestop. Sure, I can wait for someone like Outpost to maybe have a deal, but it's a toss up.

Anything by Atlus, anything rather niche, anything with nice preorder bonuses, you'd have to go through EB / GS.

estarland.com
Amazon.com (just don't choose Gamestop)
NCSX.com
Play-Asia.com
GoGamer.com
GameExpress.com
Lik-Sang.com
Outpost.com (Just order when there is free shipping)
Walmart.com

bread's done
Back