CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
Hardware (year over year change)
NDS: 1.5 Million (-11.8%)
360: 1.37 Million (+68%)
Wii: 1.27 Million (+0.8%)
PS3: 530k (-25%)

Top 10 Games (New Physical Retail only; across all platforms incl. PC)

01. Call of Duty: Black Ops (360, PS3, Wii, PC, NDS) ACTIVISION BLIZZARD ** - 8.4 Million
02. Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood (360, PS3) UBISOFT ** - 1.14 million
03. Just Dance 2 (Wii) UBISOFT

Last edited by a moderator:
ouch GT5. I guess the strategy of putting the world's worst loading times in a game didn't quite pan out.

8.4 million for BLOPS?!!! AHAHAHA WE ARE SO fuckED. THIS ISN'T EVEN ABOUT SALES, THIS IS ABOUT THE FUTURE OF THIS COUNTRY, 8.4 MILLION IS A VERY HIGH NUMBER OF RETARDS i don't even

360 hardware has been killing it.

NFS >>>> GT5 lol.

Fable 3 is still charting.

8.5 million BLOPS good god. I wanna see breakdown by console.

GT5 has had four days (24th, 25th, 26th, 27th) of sales so I would say that's pretty good (Well, compared to Forza 3 - 200K+ ).

GT5
NA: 400K (source - neogaf NPD thread)
EUR: ??? (Maybe 1+ million based on 1.5 million pre-orders)
JAPAN: 430+ (also 4 days of sales from 24th to 28th // source - mediacreate)

NFS is 12 days of sales for both systems (220K+ on the 360/180K+ on the PS3). Also, keep in mind that NFS was on-sale during Black Fridays.

North America:
Gran Turismo 3,990 1998/05/12
Gran Turismo 2 3,960 1999/12/23
Gran Turismo 3 7,140 2001/07/10
Gran Turismo 4 3,060 2005/02/22
Gran Turismo 5 ?????

I expect GT5 to do about 1.5+ here, .8+ in Japan/Asia and maybe 4+ in Europe.

6+ to 7+ lifetime sales for GT5, way below previous GT sales.

http://www.polyphony.co.jp/english/list.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Huh, PS3 did pretty bad. Those are extremely low numbers, while the 360 just destroyed this month. Kinect must have really given it a boost.

Kinda surprised Playstation took the hit it did YOY. I'm also surprised DKCR didn't sell better than Fable III, a far inferior game.

GT5 sales are pretty solid considering the days it's been recorded so far. But yeah, it clearly isn't going to be the best selling shit on the planet anymore.

And yeah, blops sales is very telling of where game development will be going in the future.

Gee, wii didnt do too bad so dr mario is posting npd thread stuff again.

With the disaster course GT5 has been through (delay after delay, missing launch date due to hackers, really bad advertising that doesnt even mention when its coming out, bad press about 800 cars being gt4 quality, etc), im shocked it even sold 400k. NFS barely outsold it, it did 417k or so, and thats with 2 platforms and way more time on the market, and it being sold for 35 bucks at most major retailers on black friday.

With 0 kinect titles in the top 10, its really a mix of people upgrading 360s to the more reliable slim + the call of duty effect. Im sure kinect helped, but i'd place more of the bump on Call of Duty and replacing broken systems then anything else.

Sony is not doing well, but at least its not doing well while still making money on each system sold. Its seen a lot worse times, right now they're just riding the storm and being profitable. Overall interesting month, cant wait to see what december holds for us. Also, donkey kong numbers are much lower then i expected, this is nintendos big holiday game. No show for Goldeneye and Flingsmash as well.

I actually left the country for a while so I missed Sept NPD. I asked dallow to cover for me. I got back like a week before Oct NPD and it was just not on my mind at the time so I forgot. I almost forgot this time but I happened to notice that it was posted. I havent even taken a good luck at the numbers I missed for my spreadsheet. You'll also notice that I stopped posting weekly media-create in my blog at the same time and it still hasnt resumed. Its hard to get back into the groove.

Black Ops numbers are insane but that was expected.

Really happy for the 360 - Kinect and being on the market long enough with a low price and good game selection/advertisement has really helped MS.

How the hell is Fable 3 so high? I mean, I've had fun with them but they've never screamed, "Buy me at full price the day I come out!" to me.

And I'd suggest that Just Dance 2 being #3 is much worse news than CoD being #1.

[quote name='Halo05']And I'd suggest that Just Dance 2 being #3 is much worse news than CoD being #1.[/QUOTE]

This.

Also, DKCR had a fairly decent showing for what I expected. It's not Mario, so I didn't think it was going to zoom to the top, especially in a month with Call of Duty. DCKR, though, *should* hang out in the top 10 for quite a while, especially once word of mouth gets going.

Someone asked about GoldenEye... it didn't exactly tear up the charts, but it sold pretty well for a non-Nintendo Wii title. I'm pretty sure that it's sold somewhere around 200-250,000 at this point. Add in Europe, we're looking at at least 300,000. Not OMGAMAZING numbers, but pretty good for something Wii exclusive, not made by Nintendo, and appealing to an older/hardcore crowd.

Blood Stone absolutely tanked. In the report that I got the 200,000 GoldenEye number from, it also stated that Blood Stone has basically sold about 15,000-20,000 copies. That's both systems combined, folks. I'd also hedge closer to the lower end of that scale, sadly. Given that they send it out the same day as GoldenEye with very little to no publicity, I'd say they sent it out to die.

BLOPS selling 8.5 million isn't all that shocking, but it's just depressing because it just makes Activision's balls even bigger, which we really, really, really, really, really, really, really don't need.

The big question coming out of this month is why were the PS3 sales so low? I get that MS had a bump from Kinect and the CoD upgraders, but it's not as if both the Wii and the 360 didn't sell close to double the numbers that the PS3 did. It really does beg the question of whether the numbers could've been higher had they, you know, actually made people aware that GT5 was coming out. Still, with the Move still being pushed heavily, GT5 coming out (even sneakily), and a month that sees the release of the biggest game of the year (BLOPS), Sony can't be happy with that number at all.

Oh, and yeah... Fable 3 charting again? I'm surprised. Happy, but surprised.

[quote name='HaLLuZiNaTiOnZ']8.4 million on BLOPS WTF? So begins the birth of activision releasing 1 every year and making millions on a below average game.[/QUOTE]
Oh, they've been heading in that direction with CoD for a while now.

[quote name='Blackjack13']Huh, PS3 did pretty bad. Those are extremely low numbers, while the 360 just destroyed this month. Kinect must have really given it a boost.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='whoknows']I'm surprised how bad the PS3 did.

Also surprised GT5 was in the top 10.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the PS3 is getting hammered. The Kinect must really be helping 360 sales.

[quote name='HaLLuZiNaTiOnZ']8.4 million on BLOPS WTF? So begins the birth of activision releasing 1 every year and making millions on a below average game.[/QUOTE]

Uh, there's been one every year for a few years now.

Kinect has been advertising *a lot* on Saturday morning cartoons, trying to pull kids (and parents) in with Kinectimals (or whatever that animal "game" is called). Just like Nintendogs sold DS's, this is really pushing 360 I think, and PS3 doesn't have a similar "killer app" with move.

[quote name='Vinny']Yeah, the PS3 is getting hammered. The Kinect must really be helping 360 sales.[/QUOTE]

My wife works retail... and she said the Kinect is crazy for sales. They are selling out.

My Father in Law is looking to sell his wii as he wants a Kinect as well. I am 31 and he is in his 50's...

Somehow the kinect is doing it for them.

[quote name='007']

Blood Stone absolutely tanked. In the report that I got the 200,000 GoldenEye number from, it also stated that Blood Stone has basically sold about 15,000-20,000 copies. That's both systems combined, folks. I'd also hedge closer to the lower end of that scale, sadly. Given that they send it out the same day as GoldenEye with very little to no publicity, I'd say they sent it out to die.

BLOPS selling 8.5 million isn't all that shocking, but it's just depressing because it just makes Activision's balls even bigger, which we really, really, really, really, really, really, really don't need.
[/QUOTE]

Those Bloodstone numbers are disgraceful. Obviously it was a bad move releasing it a. on the same day as Goldeneye, b. a week before Black ops. I agree they didn't put much effort into it, not much marketing whereas Goldeneye had tv ads. Even the cover was lazy, they just took a production still from Quantum of solace and slapped it against a grey background.

But I don't know if Activision can be all that ballsy, they've had several disasters lately, the new Guitar Hero tanked (that series is probably over and done with), last month Dr.Mario reported that Tony Hawk sold 3000 copies (ditto), and now this. But Call of duty pulls their ass out of the fire every time!

My guess is Fable 3 sold veritable assloads during black friday due to it being $30-$35 at most retailers.

DKCR being low doesn't surprise me due to how late it launched in the month, like GT5.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']I actually left the country for a while so I missed Sept NPD. I asked dallow to cover for me. I got back like a week before Oct NPD and it was just not on my mind at the time so I forgot. I almost forgot this time but I happened to notice that it was posted. I havent even taken a good luck at the numbers I missed for my spreadsheet. You'll also notice that I stopped posting weekly media-create in my blog at the same time and it still hasnt resumed. Its hard to get back into the groove.[/QUOTE]

I got the last two months for you.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']Updated with some numbers, probably the only batch we're going to get.[/QUOTE]

Gamasutra promised some more numbers on Monday. Another thing to note is Gamasutra was told by NPD that if they went by the old system of single SKU's that Reach would be 10th, so I guess they're 11-12 overall.

CoD 2- 2005
CoD 3- 2006
CoD 4- 2007
CoD WatW- 2008
CoD MW 2- 2009
CoD BLOPS- 2010

Glad to see that MS's $500 Million ad campaign is paying dividends.

And it's interesting to see that, at least for November, BLOPS sold 1.8 million more units on the 360 over the PS3 despite having a much larger install base in the US. I remember when the ratios between the two systems used to be 2-to-1.

bread's done
Back