Now that the price is revealed, when will Gamestop / EB start taking preorders?

Roufuss

CAGiversary!
Feedback
102 (100%)
Gonna get mine in ASAP where I know the manager of the store, so I'm positive I won't get shafted out of it.

Any ideas?

if u look at the mother's day circuit city ad, and HD DVD player from RCA is advertized at 499.99, the same price as PS3 with 20g. duh, which one do i get george, which one do i get?

[quote name='spoo']If the Wii is $200 you will be able to buy a 360 and wii for the price of the blablazo PS3.[/QUOTE]
So? Whats your point? Anything I want to play on the 360 I'll end up playing on the PC or PS3. So far with how little info was shown on the Wii I have no interest in it until the Kojima game comes out for it.

Point being: Not everyone wants a 360 and/or Wii

Holly shit! $499 w/20 gig & $599 w/60gig!!!!
home%20alone.gif

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Back on topic: Pretty sure that it will be after E3.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Holly shit! $499 w/20 gig & $599 w/60gig!!!!
images

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:[/QUOTE]

It seems like alot, but if you put $50 a month away until November 17th, starting now, it makes it a hell of alot more affordable. Just don't get 1 game (or in CAG's case, 4 or 5 crappy games) a month.

I don't know if EB / GS will have their computers updated overnight to start taking preorders tommorrow, but one can hope.

What was the minimum down on a 360? $50?

[quote name='skinsfan56la']I've heard rumors about gamestop and ebgames not taking backorders because of the xbox 360 fiasco.[/QUOTE]

I heard something similar, but only that preorders will be VERY limited this time.... most stores will probably be done with them in a day.

[quote name='furyk']Anyone taking bets on the lowest Gamespot/EB bundle price?[/quote]
$800 for the 20GB, $900 for the 60GB.

[quote name='Roufuss']It seems like alot, but if you put $50 a month away until November 17th, starting now, it makes it a hell of alot more affordable. Just don't get 1 game (or in CAG's case, 4 or 5 crappy games) a month.[/quote]

This is what I'm planning on doing for the PS3. I know it'll be the same price all in all, but at least I can save and buy it accordingly to my budget.

thought someone posted something earlier about a corporate memo saying they start tomorrow if sony announces the price.

[quote name='Apossum']thought someone posted something earlier about a corporate memo saying they start tomorrow if sony announces the price.[/QUOTE]

that's what I thought as well.. I'm headed there tommorow, so I'll see.

[quote name='mmercer13']It's official, Sony can kiss my ass!!!! Sorry guys but those prices are ridiculous!![/QUOTE]

yeah, if only the 3rd party support was on a cheaper system. oh well, i go where the games i want go.

it's not going to be too harsh having so much time to save up for it. there are also so many ways to cut the price if you're resourceful. it'll be $300 or less out of my pocket.

november is going to be great!!! you got the release of the PS3 and Black Friday, time to start the cold wait outside best buy and saving the money. Sony made a great chioce, more consoles will be for sale, because people say they won't buy the PS3, but they will( like little kids)

A friend of mine in PA was talking to district managers who said they weren't doing preorders, but instead were going to hold a lotto for everyone that was there. If this is true, it seems like it may be YMMV on if you can preorder or not. I'd imagine, like the 360 though that there will be a paper sign-up list tomorrow with no money obligations, and then the computer system preorders will start sometime next week.

well i hope best buy will let us just wait outside, the preorder crap is stupid. If you dont show up for your preorder (most dont) they should loose their preorder, but best buy will come through like always.

[quote name='Roufuss']What was the minimum down on a 360? $50?[/quote]

I believe so; or at least that's what I remember from Gamecrazy. I have my Wii reserved there and I had to make a $50 deposit. So I'm assuming it would be the same for the other 2 next generation consoles.

EB/GS should just act like a high-end restaurant and just not list the prices on the bundles. "If you have to ask how much, then you can't afford it."

[quote name='draven80']if u look at the mother's day circuit city ad, and HD DVD player from RCA is advertized at 499.99, the same price as PS3 with 20g. duh, which one do i get george, which one do i get?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, thats of May 5, and it's currently the only one on the market. By the time the ps3 comes out, it'll be $300.

Gamestop isn't taking preorders today, just called them, and the friend I have (the manager) says that, right now, there is no ETA on when they will start.

I called a babbage's, an eb, and a gamestop this morning.

Babbage's- They'll probably start sometime after E3.

EB- They haven't heard anything from corporate yet, they probably will start sometime this week.

Gamestop- They aren't going to be taking preorders.

Is it possible that EB would take preorders and Gamestop wouldn't??

I think Gamestop is a YMMV on preordering. I know the ones by me are taking call lists for when they begin to preorder.

Just called EB as well - they stated that they won't start preorders until they know how many they're getting at launch.

It's looking like I'm just going to preorder online since I'd rather not call everyday to find out.

Aye, my sources say its free for all, waiting on nintendo conference maybe do both next consoles, waiting on what titles for bundles look most done, waiting on units abit as well. Main theme he felt was major upgrade in security and ids make sure one person is not hitting multiple places monolopizing units. Should be interesting.

[quote name='draven80']if u look at the mother's day circuit city ad, and HD DVD player from RCA is advertized at 499.99, the same price as PS3 with 20g. duh, which one do i get george, which one do i get?[/QUOTE]

HD-DVD and Blu-Ray are TWO different things. Different formats

Also, generally the DVD players in consoles are not as great as a stand-alone player.

strangely, I welcome this price. Of course, cheaper would be better but this is just about what I expected. Now I can can a Wii also...sweet.

if i remember right gs/eb wont be taking preorders until they get some kind of allocation number from sony to avoid a fiasco a la the 360.

that said, it could be after e3, but it might be another couple of months as well. ill check when i get to work in a few minutes.

[quote name='iheartmetal']if i remember right gs/eb wont be taking preorders until they get some kind of allocation number from sony to avoid a fiasco a la the 360.

that said, it could be after e3, but it might be another couple of months as well. ill check when i get to work in a few minutes.[/QUOTE]

This is what the manager of GS told me... they don't want another 360 fiasco so they are waiting for concrete numbers.

Yeah, wasn't eveyone pretty much expecting a $500 or $600 system? They said it would be expensive, I'm just glad its not 7 or 8. Everyone is flipping out, I didn't mind the price.

Maybe I should head on over to expensive-ass gamer :)

I talked with 2 different EBs today. The first store said that they wouldn't be doing pre-orders until September or October; the second store said that they were waiting for Sony to tell corporate when the system was coming out and how much.

Any truth to these statements? Your guess is as good as mine.

[quote name='Lieutenant Dan']Yeah, wasn't eveyone pretty much expecting a $500 or $600 system? They said it would be expensive, I'm just glad its not 7 or 8. Everyone is flipping out, I didn't mind the price.

Maybe I should head on over to expensive-ass gamer :)[/QUOTE]
Meh, people paid $800+ for the 360 on eBay. I'd hate to see how much PS3's go for on eBay if they're hard to find.

no word from HQ yet, but like i said before. from what i recall they wont be doing preorders until they get allocation numbers... could be weeks, could be months, who knows.

[quote name='draven80']
if u look at the mother's day circuit city ad, and HD DVD player from RCA is advertized at 499.99, the same price as PS3 with 20g. duh, which one do i get george, which one do i get?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='jalu6']Yeah, thats of May 5, and it's currently the only one on the market. By the time the ps3 comes out, it'll be $300.[/QUOTE]

Uh...the Toshiba one is the only one on the market.

The RCA one comes out May 18th.

And there is another Toshiba model on its way.

And remember...that HD-DVD has HDMI!

So we're pretty much expected to just call until we hear something, or is it EB/GS store policy to do a call list for info about pre-ordering? If so, I suppose I should hit my location up tomorrow and grab a spot on the list...but if it's a matter of calling, then meh, that won't be too pleasant.

The paper call lists are very YMMV. Some stores do them all the time while others never do them. Just go in knowing that. I'm waiting until they take concrete in the computer pre-orders before I make the plunge.
I think the minimum deposit will be $100-$200. They only want people who are SERIOUS about buying a PS3 to preorder.

1 per customer is probably already written in stone in most places. Don't think multiples are going to happen unless you get a dumb cashier somewhere like BB or Wal-Mart

i called 3 Ebs colse to me. #1 said not until they get the number of units from sony and he said availability was going to be worst than than the 360 #2 probably by the end of the week #3 they have not gotten the Sku's so it might be until the end of the week.

[quote name='ukhoops']The paper call lists are very YMMV. Some stores do them all the time while others never do them. Just go in knowing that. I'm waiting until they take concrete in the computer pre-orders before I make the plunge.
I think the minimum deposit will be $100-$200. They only want people who are SERIOUS about buying a PS3 to preorder.[/quote]

Thanks for the info. Hmm, with a deposit that large, I may not be able to do it this early.

I asked this question on a Wii thread, but I think this is the best thread for the question:

Tell me this, y'all: I've never really gone the whole console-preorder-at-launch thing. Even if you do the long wait outside of a GS/EB for a day or so to be there when they open, do you still need to be on the pre-order list to get your purchase? So like even if I'm guy #1 in there, if I'm not at the top of the pre-order list, am I not going to be served?

Also, for a place like Best Buy or Circuit City - they don't take preorders, correct? So that's pretty much if you're there, you got it, right? And in those cases, when do these lines usually begin? More than a full day before the opening? What if you've gotta take a dump?

Any words of advice there? :)

expect preorders next week(tuesday?) for Wii (protip:Gamestop will only be taking preorders for Wii for 2 weeks to start)

I wouldn't doubt that ps3 preorders start the same day.

~b

bread's done
Back