Nuclear Arms Reportedly Found In Iraq

[quote name='GuilewasNK']ZarathosNY that inferred comment was directed at dennis_t.[/quote]

Actually, Guile, Zarathos is right and you are playing word games to back out of the misleading line of argument you tried to foist upon this forum.

Zarathos originally said of the inspectors: Sorry, but you are wrong here. They WERE being allowed to go wherever they wanted.

And you replied: according to the news at the time of the inspections, no they werent.

Now, you know and I know Zarathos was talking about the inspections leading up to the current war. You chose to reach back into history and pull up some 1998 articles about Saddam's misconduct and present them as though you were talking about the current war. A complete and utter mislead worthy of the Bush Administration.

If you have to stretch the truth that hard to make your point, you don't have a point.

[quote name='JSweeney']Bush cut billions from US education in the leave no child behind act.

First, it's called "No Child Left behind".

Second, it took no money from education.... it placed a number of new requirements on educators. The biggest criticism was that there wasn't enough new funding to pay for all of the new requirements.

http://www.ed.gov/nclb/overview/intro/index.html[/quote]

It's a fallacy that Bush has cut any education funding. According to many articles, this being only one

http://www.knoxstudio.com/shns/story.cfm?pk=CAMPAIGN-SCHOOLS-07-23-04&cat=LS

he has signed appropriations bills increasing federal education spending to "historic levels." Regardless of whether you feel that these historically high spending levels are high enough, the "cut billions" line is an outright lie.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']'ll give that to you. I might have misunderstood you earlier about the National Guard. It sounded like you said that they didn't realize they could be sent into war one day. That's the main thing I had issue with. If I misunderstood I apologize. [/quote]

Someone earlier was saying that the soldiers have no right to complain at all or question the war. If they're upset because they think the war is wrong or whatever thats fine with me.

[quote name='elprincipe']It's a fallacy that Bush has cut any education funding.[/quote]

Bush passed No Child Left Behind, took complete credit for it, and it made him look good. Great for PR. Then he very quietly doesn't fund it at all.

You can pass a law that says that all streets shall be paved with gold. But if you don't fund it, it doesn't happen. Now, the requirements for improvements are there. But how does anyone expect it to happen without funding?

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Also, regardless of everyones viewpoints here, at least this war is getting people more interested in voting and the politcal process.[/quote]

I agree. I can respect other viewpoints, and just because we disagree, it doesn't mean I have to dislike you or anything. But the thing I really hate is apathy. People just not caring or being too lazy to understand. And people that don't try to understand at all but strongly defend their "viewpoint" because its what they were told to think, i.e. sheep. There's sheep on both sides.

It's a fallacy that Bush has cut any education funding. According to many articles, this being only one

If I bold something, it's usually because I'm qouting someone. With as long as these threads get with multiple qoutes, its less difficult to read.
Not to mention that it gives more flexibility when trying to answer certain points in someones post. It's all a readiblity thing. If you actually read what I said, and not what was bolded, it agrees with what you said.

he has signed appropriations bills increasing federal education spending to "historic levels." Regardless of whether you feel that these historically high spending levels are high enough, the "cut billions" line is an outright lie.

The requirements hit before the money does. The strict new requirements will hit and hurt cash strapped districts long before the money gets there.
It's a good thing that there are more stringent requirements. But trying to enforce them before they can be properly funded just hurts everyone.

[quote name='JSweeney']It's a fallacy that Bush has cut any education funding. According to many articles, this being only one

If I bold something, it's usually because I'm qouting someone. With as long as these threads get with multiple qoutes, its less difficult to read.
Not to mention that it gives more flexibility when trying to answer certain points in someones post. It's all a readiblity thing. If you actually read what I said, and not what was bolded, it agrees with what you said.

The requirements hit before the money does. The strict new requirements will hit and hurt cash strapped districts long before the money gets there.
It's a good thing that there are more stringent requirements. But trying to enforce them before they can be properly funded just hurts everyone.[/quote]

Well, let me first apologize to you as I didn't mean it to come off as criticizing your statement. I realize you bolded someone else's statement but when I hit "quote" it obviously attributed it to you. So please accept my apology; the post I made was entirely in response to the person you were quoting.

And I agree with your points.

[quote name='dafoomie'][quote name='elprincipe']It's a fallacy that Bush has cut any education funding.[/quote]

Bush passed No Child Left Behind, took complete credit for it, and it made him look good. Great for PR. Then he very quietly doesn't fund it at all.

You can pass a law that says that all streets shall be paved with gold. But if you don't fund it, it doesn't happen. Now, the requirements for improvements are there. But how does anyone expect it to happen without funding?[/quote]

What you say here is in no way contrary to what I posted. I posted that, under Bush, "billions" had not been cut from education at the federal level; in fact, federal education spending is at an all-time high.

Now if you read the rest of my post, I clearly stated that this was the fact I wanted to stress (to refute an earlier false statement on this threat that Bush had "cut billions" from education). Whether he has supported enough funding is another argument, one which I really don't want to get into.

Wow, you know the people here are slightly more civil than on normal political conversation boards. There was a bit of a flame beginning, and everyone found some common ground to resolve it before it got ugly. I like seeing that... I wasn't going to post over here anymore for fear that I'd just end up getting sucked back into the flame wars that is online political debate... perhaps I'll stick around a bit longer.

I totally agree with dafoomie. I wanted the inspectors to finish their job before we went into Iraq, but now that we are there, we cannot just pull out. We would leave behind a mess worse than when we went in. In my opinion, one of the biggest mistkes we make was giving Halliburton no-bid contracts to rebuild things. The Iraqi people had built all their structers before. Let them do it again. It would have cost us a lot less than we paid Halliburton, and it would have lessened the violence, becaue the Iraqis would be working. In Iraq, the unemployement rate is something like 50%. If they were working, they would be too busy to shoot at our troops.. Most of the Iraq people just want to work and take care of their families just like everyone else.

bread's done
Back