Nvidia/AMD GPU Re-stock Thread

SlaughterX

CAGiversary!
Feedback
8 (90%)
I honestly don't want to manage this thread...  but I do think this forum would benefit from a thread that keeps people up to date on GPU restocks like the PS5 and Series X threads (but hopefully with less bickering).

Anyway I finally just received my RTX 3070, which I had to buy a whole prebuild HP OMEN 25L just to get.  Took almost 2 months but it finally got here today and the first thing I did was take out out of the OMEN and threw it in my custom build, which is a few years old, but still has a better CPU than the Ryzen 5 3500 that came with it.

It seems like the best way of scoring a card these days is through a prebuilt computer.  Right now it doesn't appear that HP has anything better than the 3060ti, which is still a pretty damn good card for the money.

doing my first pc build and a noob

I see the 3070 Ti is 780 on sale at Bestbuy. Is this a jump on it kid of deal?

My goal is only 1080p 60fps for most games, but I do have a 1440p 144hz monitor, so some games I might try to run at that. Just wondering if the 3070 is good or overkill.

I also see the 3060 Ti mentioned, but it's oos
Save your money and get the 3060 TI instead. It can easily pump out ultra settings in 1080p as well as 1440p. I have an RTX 2070 Super in my Alienware Aurora and I can MAX out every game in 1080p @ 120-240 Hz and the 3060 Ti is a much better card than the 2070 Super. Amazon is selling the 3060 Ti and some of them are discounted but it's nowhere as cheap as the ones that EVGA is selling $463 although they are OOS atm.

Last edited by a moderator:
Save your money and get the 3060 TI instead. It can easily pump out ultra settings in 1080p as well as 1440p. I have an RTX 2070 Super in my Alienware Aurora and I can MAX out every game in 1080p @ 120-240 Hz and the 3060 Ti is a much better card than the 2070 Super. Amazon is selling the 3060 Ti and some of them are discounted but it's nowhere as cheap as the ones that EVGA is selling $463 although they are OOS atm.
Thanks for the info. With the chip shortage stuff, what reasonable price should I jump on a 3060 Ti if it comes in stock somewhere? I'm guessing the $460 you mentioned

Depends on the configuration.  The very base model is supposed to be $400, and there's overclocked etc versions up to about $600.  A lot of the manufacturers jacked up the MSRP, like Zotac, and those aren't worth it either.

Thanks for the info. With the chip shortage stuff, what reasonable price should I jump on a 3060 Ti if it comes in stock somewhere? I'm guessing the $460 you mentioned
If you are patient you should be looking at between $439 - $529. https://www.evga.com/products/productlist.aspx?type=0&family=GeForce+30+Series+Family&chipset=RTX+3060+Ti

I'm trying to snag the $439 card because it's short i.e. less than 10.5" so it could fit in my Alienware Aurora. Anything longer than that requires major modification to the chassis.

Edit: Newegg has the MSI Ventus 3060 Ti for $579w/free shipping

https://www.newegg.com/msi-geforce-rtx-3060-ti-rtx-3060-ti-ventus-2x-8g-ocv1-lhr/p/N82E16814137673?Item=N82E16814137673&Description=rtx%203060%20ti&cm_re=rtx_3060%20ti-_-14-137-673-_-Product

If you are patient you should be looking at between $439 - $529. https://www.evga.com/products/productlist.aspx?type=0&family=GeForce+30+Series+Family&chipset=RTX+3060+Ti

I'm trying to snag the $439 card because it's short i.e. less than 10.5" so it could fit in my Alienware Aurora. Anything longer than that requires major modification to the chassis.

Edit: Newegg has the MSI Ventus 3060 Ti for $579w/free shipping
https://www.newegg.com/msi-geforce-rtx-3060-ti-rtx-3060-ti-ventus-2x-8g-ocv1-lhr/p/N82E16814137673?Item=N82E16814137673&Description=rtx%203060%20ti&cm_re=rtx_3060%20ti-_-14-137-673-_-Product
Any benefit to getting evga vs msi?

Any benefit to getting evga vs msi?
Not especially aside from maybe warranty. EVGA also has a Step-Up program where you can register to trade in an lower power card for a newer card but it comes with a number of non-obvious extra costs so it's not exactly as nifty as it sounds (though still a pretty interesting idea)

I'll disagree with some of the statements about various GPU manufacturers being "bad" -- they all get their chips from Nvidia and none would be in business if they were just selling trash. I know people with Zotac cards who are perfectly happy and they seem to be performing the same as my EVGA cards. Zotac had an incident early into the 3000 series launch but, for all EVGA is being held as some gold standard, it was exclusively EVGA 3090 cards being killed by the New World MMO because of quality issues on the manufacturer's side. Then you have companies like Asus who are also held up as good cards, and they are, but are also usually well overpriced and can nearly double the cost for some "extreme" cooling and gamer nonsense. I'd rather buy a $500 Zotac card over a $759 Asus one

If you already own a 1440p 144Hz display, I'm not sure why you'd want to keep your gaming at 1080p but that's up to you. Feels like owning some expensive running shoes so you can walk around the mall. So, to that end, I'd rather go with the 3070Ti to take advantage of the display but really the question should be primarily answered by how much cash you have available for buying a GPU. Speaking of, does your display support G-Sync?

Not especially aside from maybe warranty. EVGA also has a Step-Up program where you can register to trade in an lower power card for a newer card but it comes with a number of non-obvious extra costs so it's not exactly as nifty as it sounds (though still a pretty interesting idea)
Step-ups might still be iffy.

"No rain-checks are permitted if a participant is unable to Step-Up within their 90-days due to a lack of available options or part numbers."

I'll disagree with some of the statements about various GPU manufacturers being "bad" -- they all get their chips from Nvidia and none would be in business if they were just selling trash. I know people with Zotac cards who are perfectly happy and they seem to be performing the same as my EVGA cards. Zotac had an incident early into the 3000 series launch but, for all EVGA is being held as some gold standard, it was exclusively EVGA 3090 cards being killed by the New World MMO because of quality issues on the manufacturer's side. Then you have companies like Asus who are also held up as good cards, and they are, but are also usually well overpriced and can nearly double the cost for some "extreme" cooling and gamer nonsense. I'd rather buy a $500 Zotac card over a $759 Asus one

If you already own a 1440p 144Hz display, I'm not sure why you'd want to keep your gaming at 1080p but that's up to you. Feels like owning some expensive running shoes so you can walk around the mall. So, to that end, I'd rather go with the 3070Ti to take advantage of the display but really the question should be primarily answered by how much cash you have available for buying a GPU. Speaking of, does your display support G-Sync?
older Samsung c27jg, so pretty sure no g-sync

also, it looks like if I do buy a card in the near future, I'd just pay 780 for a 3070 vs overpriced 600 for the 3060

That monitor doesn't have ANY adaptive sync, not even FreeSync, which is kinda weird.

Higher framerates will result in less obvious "tearing" on the screen so that's another reason to consider a higher powered 70 or 70ti over the 3060/ti but, again, the real question is what your wallet can afford.  Always be cheaper/easier to buy a new monitor down the road than a new GPU.

Well, I was convinced to just get a 3070 Ti for 780 from bestbuy... then this morning a 3060 Ti showed up for store pickup for 509.. Now if it actually is available I have to decide svae 300 or go for 3070.. such tough decisions 🤣

Well, I was convinced to just get a 3070 Ti for 780 from bestbuy... then this morning a 3060 Ti showed up for store pickup for 509.. Now if it actually is available I have to decide svae 300 or go for 3070.. such tough decisions
Congrats, although tbh, there isn't much that separates the RTX 3060 Ti from the RTX 3070. They are pretty much a wash when it comes to gaming performance. I personally would have gone with the 3060 Ti because the performance gap for $271 is too small. Either way, you should get rock solid framerates and both cards are good choices.

It's the 3070Ti, not the base 3070. About 25% faster than the 3060Ti (though for about 50% more cost).
Sorry, I did mean the 3070 Ti for 780. Not the 3070. Trying my best to stay near $1k building my first computer as I told myself make it decent, not a beast. But might be back to the 3070 Ti anyway if store pickup doesn't get filled. :whistle2:

Sorry, I did mean the 3070 Ti for 780. Not the 3070. Trying my best to stay near $1k building my first computer as I told myself make it decent, not a beast. But might be back to the 3070 Ti anyway if store pickup doesn't get filled. :whistle2:
My bad, I thought I saw 3070 instead of 3070 Ti. If that's the case the 3070 Ti is the better choice.

My 3060 Ti store pickup actually got fulfilled, so I'm going to go with that for this first-time build.  I was slightly jealous of the pickup order beside it, for a 3090...  :cool:  

You'll be very happy with the 3060Ti for your needs.  It's an excellent card.  Congratulations on fulfilling one of the most difficult parts of a build these past couple of years.

You'll be very happy with the 3060Ti for your needs. It's an excellent card. Congratulations on fulfilling one of the most difficult parts of a build these past couple of years.
Thanks. It kind of screwed up my plan to take my time on parts buying. Figured it'd be impossible to get and force me to slow down. Now I have to resist going all out and buying everything at once. I'll definitely hold out for sales.

My 3060 Ti store pickup actually got fulfilled, so I'm going to go with that for this first-time build. I was slightly jealous of the pickup order beside it, for a 3090... :cool:
The guy with that order was probably jealous of you paying $1,400 less.

WIth the 4000 series starting to come out in mid-July potentially it's insane that they're still selling this stuff over MSRP by this much.

I've given up on the 3000 series at this point.  Spent the better part of the last few years failing to beat bots when I try to buy a card.  I'm guessing the 4000 series won't be much different, but just tired of the search at this point.  

I've given up on the 3000 series at this point. Spent the better part of the last few years failing to beat bots when I try to buy a card. I'm guessing the 4000 series won't be much different, but just tired of the search at this point.
I've read several articles on Tom's Hardware and on other tech sites that Nvidia claims the 4xxx series cards will double the performance over the 3xxx series. AMD is teasing the same with their 7 series lineup.

I've read several articles on Tom's Hardware and on other tech sites that Nvidia claims the 4xxx series cards will double the performance over the 3xxx series. AMD is teasing the same with their 7 series lineup.
Yep. I've seen the same. Having nearly zero cards available for the last two years might make me a happier PC gamer in the long run.

I bought a 3060ti and wound up returning it because I didn't feel the performance increase over my 1080 was worth it. There is zero chance I will buy a 4000 series if the power draw rumors are true.

So basically hope the 5000 series is the bounce back to efficiency or AMD wows me.

The 4000 series may draw more power on average, but because they have a process advantage (30 series was 8nm samsung, this is gonna be 5nm I think) they'll actually be more efficient. For example, the latest rumor is that the 4090 has the same TDP as the 3090 TI for twice the performance. Here's a little table.

SKU PERF POWER(W) WATT/1%PERF

3090 100% 350 3.5

3090TI 110% 450 4.1

4090 200% 450 2.25

So basically the 4090 is actually 50% more efficient than the 3090, it just also draws more power in absolute terms.

Therefore if you're worried about the power draw of 4000 series GPUs you'll just buy further down the stack and ultimately still end up with a better product. The same thing happened last GPU generation too. The 3070 for instance has basically the same TDP as the 2080 but produces significantly better performance (~15% uplift).

What to expect: the 4070 will perform better/equal to the 3080 at the same/less power. Expect it to be more expensive than the 3070, but still cheaper than the 3080. This will generally hold true across the entire generation.

If the performance gains are really that high then I'm not interested even in the slightest.  Nvidia has lost any and all good will during the previous two GPU cycles.   These 4000 cards will be price gouged to oblivion. 

There is no point in trying to buy cutting edge pc tech any longer.  There was no lineup of new games that took full advantage of the 3080+ series' performance capabilities either. 

"Try to buy last year's tech at clearance pricing," is always going to be the recommendation going forward, for the foreseeable future.

There was no lineup of new games that took full advantage of the 3080+ series' performance capabilities either.
My 1070 will be 6 years old in a few weeks. It's perfectly fine for running basically anything at 1080p@60FPS on medium settings. That's more than enough for some people.

We've hit a point where upgrading is no longer about "can I play this well" and more about "can I play this beautifully." My goal is 4k@60FPS with the ability to do some decent raytracing, so I'm still looking to upgrade. That's going to require a 3080 or better.

The release of the 4000 series will lower the price of the 3000 because it'll have significantly better performance per dollar. That makes now a really bad time to buy.

I'll either be going for a used 3080 or a 4070 probably. It's perfect for my target.

I'm loving my 3060 Ti performance for my first PC.  Maybe one day years from now I'll go nuts and build a monstrous pc with something like these 3090 Ti's that cost $2k....(more than my whole pc build)  :shock:  and see what they can do  :whee:  But that would also require a new monitor investment too.  I'm good for now with the middle ground. :)  I think I'm officially addicted to pc building though....

Man, actually have a 3080FE in my cart from Best Buy and can't bring myself to pull the trigger.  Tried to get one of these for almost all of the last year plus and never had the chance.  Sigh.  

For anyone who hasn't heard yet EVGA is leaving the GPU market, there will be no 40 series. Check out GamerNexus on YouTube for more info. The short story is they are pissed with Nvidia policies and they are fed up working with them. They are not going out of business, they also are not going to make cards for AMD.

So if your one of the people who only buys EVGA GPUs get one of their cards while there is remaning new stock. There is still stock on their own website of 3080 and lower. They also have b stock available ATM (if your cool with refurbs).

I fully expect them to announce a manufacturing agreement with another competitor within the year.  It's just something that you don't do right away.  Like a star TV or radio personality doesn't announce his/her next gig while saying goodbye on their current network.  You take a bit of hiatus and then new news arises after several months. 

Like Steve says, GPUs are 80% of EVGAs revenue, and there are all sorts of statements saying that they are not closing up shop one bit.

We've all known that Nvidia is a shit gouging company for a few years now since the 2000 series presser became actual pricing.  They've lost all trust with consumers, and they undercut their own AIB partners.  Post-pandemic inventory ramp-up and product flow was probably the final straw.

Yeah I have a hard time believing they'd leave the GPU world forever but their only option if they cut ties with Nvidia is to make cards for AMD correct?

It will be interesting to see how things play out. I liked their GPUs a lot.

Yeah I have a hard time believing they'd leave the GPU world forever but their only option if they cut ties with Nvidia is to make cards for AMD correct?

It will be interesting to see how things play out. I liked their GPUs a lot.
Unless they want to make like 1 Intel battlemage card, maybe lol

I'm kind of all in on a 16gb Intel Arc card for $350. Review embargo October 5. I've been trying to buy a used 2080 for under $300 locally and keep barely missing.

I'm kind of all in on a 16gb Intel Arc card for $350. Review embargo October 5. I've been trying to buy a used 2080 for under $300 locally and keep barely missing.
Yeah, waiting for those reviews also, and some realtime benches. From what i read and know so far, I don't think i'll purchase if its above $300.

I bought a EVGA G2 1300w psu for $180 on Amazon recently. I really liked that line and now that it's discontinued this is my last chance to get a brand new higher capcity model of it.

But not sure if I should keep it or not because of ATX 3.0 power supplies that are starting to come out. I had not heard about the new connector yet when I had purchased it.

I was just trying to future proof with the 1300w for what I felt was a good price. My current 750w power supply is about 3 years old. I'm not buying a new GPU anytime soon (at least several years). So I'm concerned this PSU might not be the best investment because it's missing the new GPU connector type.

Would like to hear other people's opinions on this. What would you do?

I bought a EVGA G2 1300w psu for $180 on Amazon recently. I really liked that line and now that it's discontinued this is my last chance to get a brand new higher capcity model of it.
They're out of the NVidia graphics card game, but they should still be making PSUs. So I don't think there's much of a risk in keeping it.

bread's done
Back