Nvidia Defects

Holy_Headshot

CAGiversary!
It has come to my attention that Nvidia series 8000 and 9000 laptop GPU's are completely defective thanks to "weak solder points", and will eventually overheat and render said laptops useless. I was not aware of this, until my own laptop died last week, so I just wanted to warn everyone to stay away from these chipsets. Unfortunately, there is no official list of which GPU's are affected and Nvidia has been really shady about the whole thing. They have a) admitted they are at fault, b) advised consumers not to buy laptops containing those GPU's and also c) have allocated as much as $200 million for the repair/replacement of said laptops. What they have NOT done, is outlined a procedure by which anyone affected can get restitution for their laptop that now only functions as a wheelchock. Of course, Toshiba wants to dump this on Nvidia and Nvidia on Toshiba, so I am caught in a useless battle. I was just hoping I could save anyone else from the same trouble, AND if you do think you have a GPU that might fit this problem, make sure you keep your warranty up to date, because that seems to be the only solution----altho I hardly call replacing one defective chip with another a "solution".

This has been a known problem for approximately 1 year. The 8600M GT and 8400M GS are mostly known to fail. They share the same ASIC, and the core design suffers from the same heat-related issues. So for all potential laptop buyers, do not buy a laptop with an 8400 or 8600!

Yep, I am getting my Dell XPS m1330 back tomorrow from getting repaired for this exact problem. It had the 8400M in it, lasted about 15 months. Dell extended the warranty a year, for this specific issue only, and I was told by the tech support that it should be replaced with a newer GPU. We'll see though. I won't be a very happy Dell customer if it fails again a year from now out of their extended warranty.

GAH... just booted up my returned laptop and it had another 8400M. Somebody is getting an angry phone call tomorrow. And then another in a year from now when it fails outside of the extended warranty.

Dude, I am not getting another Dell.

bread's done
Back