Nyko Intercooler 360: Solve overheating issues and increase longevity

redgopher

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Use coupon code FREESHIPALL for free shipping:
http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product_id=802205

My EB had a single Nyko Intercooler 360, and I promply snatched it up and attached it to my 360. Their claims of a 10 degrees Fahrenheit drop in internal temperature are not exaggerated at all. In fact, I'd say those are understated. My 360 is no longer warm, in fact, it is a very comfortable, cool temperature. When I put my hand near the intake holes on the 360, it's cold. COLD!

Even better, my 360 was freezing up every day, once a day. I didn't think it was due to overheating because my box wasn't getting that hot, but apparently it was. My 360 sits atop my original Xbox, which has one of those thick plastic skins on it, preventing the 360 from sliding around, but also preventing air from coming in on that side (left side vertical, aka the bottom when horizontal). After attaching the Intercooler 360, I played Oblivion for 2 hours without a single freeze. I am planning on playing for an extended period of time this weekend and I'll let you guys how it turns out.

In the meantime, if you see these at your EB or Gamestop, pick it up ASAP even if you aren't having overheating problems. Not only will it give your console a longer lifespan and prevent issues in the future, but they're only $20 in-store and $30-40 + shipping on eBay.

Speaking of eBay, if you don't have an EB or Gamestop near you, and their websites are sold out or backordered... plop the extra $20 for one on eBay. Well worth paying the premium for a stable system. Microsoft should just permanently mount these to the new systems.

Edit the First: Of course, if you've got checkers on your screen... you'll need a repair as your hardware has been fried by Microsoft's poor engineering/cooling.

Edit the Second: 4/12/2006 -- Sad news to report today... my 360 froze up in Oblivion last night after six solid days of no crashing. I will have to test this further, perhaps my 360 is defective, but I do know that the Intercooler did at least make a significant difference. Now I just need to decide if one crash a week is worth sending my unit in for repair and being without Oblivion for an extended period of time...

Edit the Third: 4/14/2006 -- My 360 crashed again. I am so fucking pissed at Microsoft right now... livid, irate, those words do not even begin to describe how I feel about this ridiculous bullshit. Did they even quality test these consoles? Changed the forum topic to more accurately describe what the Intercooler does.

I'd been wondering if these things actually worked. I almost ordered one a few times but didn't wanna waste the money just in case. Looks like a local store has 1 maybe i'll grab it today. Thanks for the review.

Nice thanks Cheapy I was looking for a free shipping code since I haven't used ebgames since the cag15 and saver codes lol. If my local store doesn't have one I'll buy through this linkage.

BTW they can be had easily on Ebay for $19.99 + $8 shipping if you search intercooler 360 and scroll down to the 30 day listing at the very bottom. Why idiots can't find that and pay up to $50 is beyond me.... lol check out the complete auctions for a laugh after you look at the listing I spoke of...

[quote name='spoo']Hmmm thanks for the review, I just might buy one now......but I read this the other day
[/QUOTE]

I'm thinking he just got a defective part. Easier to return and replace an Intercooler than an entire 360 though... Still, pick one up. Well worth it.

Also, it does run a bit loud.. it *is* adding 3 fans to the system. Though, when playing games, you can't really tell the difference. It's about as loud as the system is when it's running a game DVD.

[quote name='peloquin17']i havent had a problem with my 360 yet. (knock wood)

maybe i should pick this up.[/QUOTE]

At the very least, it's a great preventative. I mean, the thing works so well as to remove the freezing from my 360, it'll definitely prolong the life of your system.

Interesting, but my 360 has a lot of open space around it, so I think it should be ok. Not sure if I want it 3 fans louder also...it's already pretty loud.

[quote name='kaw']"What does dis do?"

"It sucks in air."

"It's definitely sucking."[/QUOTE]
I love those commercials!

I had been considering one already, but after reading this thread and some of the links, I picked one up today at GS. Since the 360 is already pretty loud, this addon doesnt make much of a difference, if any at all.

I called around locally and nobody had any in stock although the online inventory search said they did... I guess it's time to hit up the online if i'm gonna get one.

I saw this reply on that blog about the Intercooler that died, i've seen the concern a couple times now on different sites: "My concern from the start with this product is would it put more stress on the systems fan.. and maybe voiding warranty??"

The Intercooler would make the 360 fans work harder than intended by MS. What effects would this have long term?

[quote name='$hady']I called around locally and nobody had any in stock although the online inventory search said they did... I guess it's time to hit up the online if i'm gonna get one.

I saw this reply on that blog about the Intercooler that died, i've seen the concern a couple times now on different sites: "My concern from the start with this product is would it put more stress on the systems fan.. and maybe voiding warranty??"

The Intercooler would make the 360 fans work harder than intended by MS. What effects would this have long term?[/QUOTE]

This would be my concern, too. This is basically either overworking the existing fans, or changing the airflow through the system (I'm not exactly sure how it works0. I'm wary, as problems from using this might not happen until some time has passed, and I'm not sure what kind of QA they did on this. They couldn't have tested long term effects, right?

[quote name='LinkinPrime']And how much will the electric bill be after having a mini refrigerator installed for your X360? ;)[/QUOTE]

I doubt anything, since its just using a pass through to power the thing. It might be different if it had its own power supply.

I just wish I could log into EBGames.com and purchase something. The totally fucked my accounts up and couldn't fix them for me...

[quote name='fujishig']This would be my concern, too. This is basically either overworking the existing fans, or changing the airflow through the system (I'm not exactly sure how it works0. I'm wary, as problems from using this might not happen until some time has passed, and I'm not sure what kind of QA they did on this. They couldn't have tested long term effects, right?[/QUOTE]

The fans inside the system only run at a set voltage (unless some sort of Cool n' Quiet tech is being used). Anyhow, if the fans in the 360 are spinning faster because of the 360, it's only because more air is moving through thanks to the Intercooler. They aren't going to just stop working because there are more fans on the system.

In fact, I'd say that this would even ease the stress on the fans, but worst case scenario the bearings may wear down faster, in this case you can just open up the system and lube them up. I'd only suggest doing that AFTER your warranty has expired. Fans last a long time, though, so even if you bought an extended warranty thru MS, you shouldn't have to do that until it has long since expired.

After searching high and low for one of these for about 2-3 weeks, I finally found one at Fry's Friday night. It connects to the 360 pretty easily, and I still have plenty of space to spare at the back of my entertainment center. The 360 is definitely much cooler to the touch now after long playing sessions. My only gripe is that it makes the already loud noise that comes from the 360 even louder now. I haven't noticed any differences in game play, but I'm hoping it helps extend the life of my 360. I could have cooked eggs on it before I got the intercooler :)

[quote name='Purkeynator']Just noticed it shows out of stock for online ordering. Must be pretty popular.[/QUOTE]

Seems more like Nyko is having supply problems, i've been searching for it this week and its the same story at every eb/gamestop that the online locator shows having it in stock , they only get sent 1 at a time

Sad news to report today... my 360 froze up in Oblivion last night after six solid days of no crashing. I will have to test this further, perhaps my 360 is defective, but I do know that the Intercooler did at least make a significant difference. Now I just need to decide if one crash a week is worth sending my unit in for repair and being without Oblivion for an extended period of time...

[quote name='coolsteel']Seems more like Nyko is having supply problems, i've been searching for it this week and its the same story at every eb/gamestop that the online locator shows having it in stock , they only get sent 1 at a time[/QUOTE]

They likely didn't expect the response they got. MS can't be that happy that these things are so in demand.

They were gone at the EB I go to frequently as well. A friend works there and said the few they had went within hours of putting them out.

[quote name='redgopher']Sad news to report today... my 360 froze up in Oblivion last night after six solid days of no crashing. I will have to test this further, perhaps my 360 is defective, but I do know that the Intercooler did at least make a significant difference. Now I just need to decide if one crash a week is worth sending my unit in for repair and being without Oblivion for an extended period of time...[/QUOTE]

If it was crashing more often before, the Intercooler isn't really fixing the problem, it's just helping you ignore it. I'd definitely send it in.

...and if you can't tear yourself away from a game for a few days, yikes.

[quote name='redgopher']Sad news to report today... my 360 froze up in Oblivion last night after six solid days of no crashing. I will have to test this further, perhaps my 360 is defective, but I do know that the Intercooler did at least make a significant difference. Now I just need to decide if one crash a week is worth sending my unit in for repair and being without Oblivion for an extended period of time...[/QUOTE]

I really don't think Oblivion crashing is the cause of overheating. My Oblivion crashes quite frequently, but I simply reboot the 360 and it works fine again. If it were overheating I doubt rebooting it would suddenly cool it down enough to the point it could continue playing for another couple hours. And I have Full Auto and Top Spin 2 as well and neither one of those has crashed on me, not to mention the other games I've played.

Its just the way Oblivion is. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Hey guys I was just wondering if this intercooler allows enough space for the wireless networking adapter to fit alongside with it?

Thanks in advance.

I still don't understand this. I mean you hear about all this stories of people's system's overheating all the time and such yet I've left mine on for literally 12 hours or more switching between playing games and watching movies with absolutely no problem whatsoever. Its wierd that there can be such drastic differences in the performance of people's 360s.

[quote name='Ma12kez']Hey guys I was just wondering if this intercooler allows enough space for the wireless networking adapter to fit alongside with it?

Thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]

nyko_xbox_360_c_in_1.jpg

I got mine from gamestop yesterday and I can tell a noticable difference in the temp. of both the system and the game disc itself

[quote name='XxFuRy2Xx']Is there any chance that this will quiet the 360? If so, then I am totally getting one.[/QUOTE]

Please re-read the thread. Thanks.

[quote name='mmn']I really don't think Oblivion crashing is the cause of overheating. My Oblivion crashes quite frequently, but I simply reboot the 360 and it works fine again. If it were overheating I doubt rebooting it would suddenly cool it down enough to the point it could continue playing for another couple hours. And I have Full Auto and Top Spin 2 as well and neither one of those has crashed on me, not to mention the other games I've played.

Its just the way Oblivion is. I wouldn't worry about it too much.[/quote]
Have you tried the defrag trick where you turn the system on and hold the 'A' button until you reach the Bethseda logo screen? It's supposed to delete the fragmented swap file and create a new one. Loading times are signifigantly reduced and should be more stable.

bread's done
Back