Nyko Wireless Sensor Bar

Hush

CAGiversary!
Has anyone seen these in any B&M stores yet? They've been instock since yesterday on ebgames.com/gamestop.com. I gotta have one, but I don't want to wait for it to ship if I can just go somewhere and pick one up over the next couple of days.

Thanks in advance,

Hush

I talked to someone from Nyko. He put me down on the list for review products. I got a bunch of Xbox360 accessories. I'll have a review on any new items I get. Dont know when that would be. I'll have to remind the guy to make sure I'm on the list and when I'll get them.

Range is suppose to be 25ft. Includes batteries. I think IGN has a review on it.

any CAG review yet...suppose to up the range and i always like wireless as my cat likes to chew on any wire around the tv....

[quote name='magiic']ya I need a wireless one, one less cable to worry about[/quote]

There are so many cables over around the TV that I probably would not even notice it!

It might help you though.

The only thing I needed to know from the review? You have to get up to turn the thing off.

Now that shit woulda flown in the last generation, since I had to get up and turn all my consoles off/on, but with the groundbreaking technology of the remote turn on of the Wii, that shit is so old. Makes me sound lazy, but oh well.

You'd think someone would be smart enough to figure that out. Maybe even determine a way to turn it off/on with the Wiimote. Now THAT would be awesome.

Until then I'll just stick with the regular bar I've already got.

Might be fun to have one down the line, but I'll just get it used or something...

[quote name='OGHowie']Can't they make this thing all black? I want my home theater system to looks sleek.[/QUOTE]

I saw it the other day at EB, and I swear it was all black. I almost bought it to.

Finally found one at EB last night. 19.99

So far works great, seems much more responsive than the stock one, at any distance. The ebgames website describes it incorrectly. It uses 4 AA batteries, not AAA's. The batteries included are also not rechargable and it doesn't include a charging cable like EB describes. Luckily, I already have regarchables I can use for this. It also has a switch that you can set to automatically turn off after 1 or 2 hours. Handy because most of my play sessions don't last longer than a couple of hours, and I think it warns you before it shuts off, so you can hit the button again and start the timer over. I just like being able to plop this thing on any TV and be ready to go, that little wire was a pain the butt to me for some reason, plus as I said before, the Wiimotes seem to read this thing much better than the original.

Does it turn *itself* off after an hour or two depending on that switch setting, or does it simply beep to warn you not to forget to turn it off?

If it turns itself off I may have to get one.

[quote name='keithp']Does it turn *itself* off after an hour or two depending on that switch setting, or does it simply beep to warn you not to forget to turn it off?

If it turns itself off I may have to get one.[/QUOTE]
From IGN

"Because the Wireless Sensor Bar doesn't know when the Wii is on or off, the potential for forgetting to shut it down after some Wii action is a concern. Nyko did their best to ameliorate the issue via a switch on the back of the Sensor Bar that allows users to set a specific time of operation of 1 or 2-hours before an audible warning (sounds like a microwave beeping) reminds that it is still on."

I may have to pick one of these up. Very handy for Wii transportation, that long wire from the supplied sensor is bothersome.

[quote name='iazybandit']From IGN

"Because the Wireless Sensor Bar doesn't know when the Wii is on or off, the potential for forgetting to shut it down after some Wii action is a concern. Nyko did their best to ameliorate the issue via a switch on the back of the Sensor Bar that allows users to set a specific time of operation of 1 or 2-hours before an audible warning (sounds like a microwave beeping) reminds that it is still on."[/QUOTE]

Ah, ok. From Hush's post it sounded like the switch made it turn itself off after an hour or two. Come to think of it, that would be annoying if you're in the middle of gaming and that happened!

[quote name='sixersballernum3']I may have to pick one of these up. Very handy for Wii transportation, that long wire from the supplied sensor is bothersome.[/QUOTE]
I just tie it up with the twist tie that came with it. If I need it to be longer, I'll just let a few inches of the wire loose and when I'm done, I'll wrap it back up to the length it was originally.

Hmmm, I just might need this. I got the Wii this weekend and if I sit all the way back on my couch the remote stops tracking. For the sports games that's fine, but no way am I playing Zelda standing up the whole time.

[quote name='OGHowie']Hmmm, I just might need this. I got the Wii this weekend and if I sit all the way back on my couch the remote stops tracking. For the sports games that's fine, but no way am I playing Zelda standing up the whole time.[/quote]

You may want to try adjusting the sensitivity of your remote before giving up and buying a new one. You can do that by going through the options menu (don't recall where it is exactly offhand, but something like Options->Sensor->Sensitivity).

[quote name='rendil']You may want to try adjusting the sensitivity of your remote before giving up and buying a new one. You can do that by going through the options menu (don't recall where it is exactly offhand, but something like Options->Sensor->Sensitivity).[/QUOTE]

I thought sensitivity is how fast it moves the cursor?

After a certain distance away from the sensor nothing tracks on the screen anymore so I think it's just out of the sensors range.

[quote name='OGHowie']I thought sensitivity is how fast it moves the cursor.

After a certain distance away from the sensor nothing tacks on the screen anymore so I think it's just out of the sensors range.[/quote]

You would think so, but from my experience, that's not what the setting actually does. From my understanding, the way Nintendo uses it, they mean sensitivity to IR signals. So it will pick up different IR sources depending on what that setting is set to. Try playing around with the different settings and point the remote at different sources (lamps/the sensor bar). You'll notice dots getting bigger/smaller/disappearing based on the setting. Ideally, you just want 2 dots showing up, which correspond to the right and left side of the sensor bar.

Of course it's possible that there is no setting that will accomodate your room's layout, in which case buying a more powerful sensor bar might be the way to go. I was just pointing out the feature in case you hadn't experimented with it yet (seeing as you said you only recently got your Wii).

For people with home theaters that are bigger than small cable provided this is awesome. I ordered one and it should be here shortly. I'll let everyone know on the range of it. I have a 30 foot room that it will be in and prolly be pretty close to that range. Hopefully it works out well.

[quote name='rendil']You would think so, but from my experience, that's not what the setting actually does. From my understanding, the way Nintendo uses it, they mean sensitivity to IR signals. So it will pick up different IR sources depending on what that setting is set to. Try playing around with the different settings and point the remote at different sources (lamps/the sensor bar). You'll notice dots getting bigger/smaller/disappearing based on the setting. Ideally, you just want 2 dots showing up, which correspond to the right and left side of the sensor bar.

Of course it's possible that there is no setting that will accomodate your room's layout, in which case buying a more powerful sensor bar might be the way to go. I was just pointing out the feature in case you hadn't experimented with it yet (seeing as you said you only recently got your Wii).[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info. I'll definitely have to play with this a bit.

so is this worth the money? i notice the sensor on the original nintendo one isn't so the best :/

thanks!

-Kat

After having it for a few days I would say its definitely worth it. One major improvement I noticed was that I was having some problems with certain microgames in Wario Ware (like the one where you have to move the hand so the puppies can give you "5"). No more problems with things like that, although this could've probably been fixed by adjusting the sensitivity as suggested in the posts above. Its a lot easier to set up my Wii at a friend's house now though, I just plug the A/V into the front of his TV, plug the power into the wall, and plop this thing on top of the TV and you're ready to go (I have the G-pak, btw). I don't know why that little wire on the original is such a pain, but it was for some reason and I like not having to deal with it now.

[quote name='Strell']That's right you do.[/QUOTE]

LOL, and I actually bought it based on your review!

bread's done
Back