Obama announces Terrorist Interrogation Unit - Gilliam's "Brazil" realized.

The administration has also decided that all U.S. interrogators will follow the rules for detainees laid out by the Army Field Manual

The officials also said that in cases where terror suspects are transferred to other countries, the U.S. will work harder to ensure the suspect is not tortured.

The structure of the new unit the White House is creating would depart significantly from such work under the previous administration, when the CIA had the lead and sometimes exclusive role in questioning al-Qaida suspects.

The administration was publicly confirming the new interrogation unit on the same day that the CIA inspector general was to unveil a report on Bush administration handling of suspects. Details were expected to show that highly questionable tactics were used.

Now, all such questioning will fall under the rules of the Army manual.

The manual, last updated in September 2006, authorizes 19 interrogation methods used to question prisoners, including one allowing a detainee to be isolated from other inmates in some cases.

The manual prohibits forcing detainees to be naked, threatening them with military dogs, exposing them to extreme heat or cold, conducting mock executions, depriving them of food, water, or medical care, and waterboarding.

ZOMG NEW WORLD ORDER.

You didn't read the article again, did you?

[quote name='perdition(troy']are they finally giving them cable now too?[/QUOTE]

We need to give terrorists free cable. Nothing saps conviction like prime time programming.

The administration also announced Monday that all U.S. interrogators will follow the rules for detainees laid out by the Army Field Manual.
Oh, now they are going to follow the Army Field Manual. Too bad they supposedly have been doing that for a while now. Has the torture stopped? No.
Formation of the new interrogation unit for "high-value" detainees does not mean the CIA is out of the business of questioning terror suspects, deputy White House press secretary Bill Burton told reporters covering the vacationing President Barack Obama on Martha's Vineyard in Massachusetts.
So there's really going to be no changes, are there? They will just pretend that everything is changed.
Obama still believes "we should be looking forward, not backward," Burton said Monday.
I guess if I go out and commit a crime, my defense should be, "We should be looking forward, not backward"?

[quote name='The Crotch']Hmm.

Always meant to see that movie. Thanks for the reminder, Ruined![/QUOTE]

12 Monkies was awesome, but I found Brazil to be somewhat of a mess (and I like David Lynch movies)

If you need a 1984 fix I would recommend reading "Brave New World" instead. If you want to watch a good movie about an authoritarian govt my recommendation is Gattaca.

Sounds like a good way to have more accountability in the interrogations to me.

As for the movies, I'm with camoor. I love 12 Monkeys but didn't like Brazil much at all.

The administration has also decided that all U.S. interrogators will follow the rules for detainees laid out by the Army Field Manual

Which is to say we should just save a few bucks and eliminate the interrogator position all-together.

Or maybe we could just have interrogators jobs be only to find the detainees mothers and ask her to ask them the questions.

Then again, almost pointless to have detainees at all at this point.

I think he's saying that if they have to stick to the army field manual guidelines then he doesn't think we'll get any good information so it's a waste of time to have interrogators.

You know, since torture yields such reliable information and all.

[quote name='elprincipe']I also seem to remember you noting Metal Gear Solid does as well.[/QUOTE]

Not me. I don't have rapidfire on my controller.

[quote name='dmaul1114']I think he's saying that if they have to stick to the army field manual guidelines then he doesn't think we'll get any good information so it's a waste of time to have interrogators.[/quote]
Yes that's what I am saying.

You know, since torture yields such reliable information and all.

I surely don't advocate torture. I don't even advocate waterboarding. But I also think if you are going to have so much oversight of what the military does in wartime with enemy combatants to try to save lives, then at some point you are crippling the entire effort.

At some point, if it hasn't happened already, you encourage (but don't outright tell) your soldiers to spray a few extra .20 cent bullets instead of risking lawsuits and media criticism of every decision you make all ending up in a courtroom drama.

Honestly, it's probably more effective to bribe enemy combatants for information, but that too gets really expensive.

[quote name='fullmetalfan720']
So there's really going to be no changes, are there? They will just pretend that everything is changed.
[/QUOTE]
No someone's getting charged. Destroying evidence of an illegal interrogation is too much to go unpunished.

The C.I.A. will still exist, but they'll probably lose a lot of power unless the republicans due something stupid.

[quote name='thrustbucket']Honestly, it's probably more effective to bribe enemy combatants for information, but that too gets really expensive.[/QUOTE]

Not really. The average enemy combatant lives on less than $1 a day.

The cost of a Bradley Fighting Vehicle could bribe a village for years.

[quote name='thwak']No someone's getting charged. Destroying evidence of an illegal interrogation is too much to go unpunished. [/quote]
Yeah, they'll let a few people be hung out to dry, but never really go after who ordered it.
The C.I.A. will still exist, but they'll probably lose a lot of power unless the republicans due something stupid.
Ha! Not a chance in hell.

^ Come on! How many heart attacks does Cheney have left?

If we put on a nice show trial and gave Cheney life in prison, generations of Americans would think the system works. They might even give up the Third Amendment.

[quote name='fatherofcaitlyn']Not really. The average enemy combatant lives on less than $1 a day.

The cost of a Bradley Fighting Vehicle could bribe a village for years.[/QUOTE]

I did work with an artist at the last game company I was at that was an interrogation trainer during the first gulf war. He said the most luck they had with the Iraqi's they detained for retrieving information was to give them a blanket and a five course meal; usually by that time they were spilling their guts about anything they knew.

Of course they weren't Iraqi soldiers because they wanted to be either.

[quote name='fatherofcaitlyn']If we put on a nice show trial and gave Cheney life in prison,[/QUOTE]

Do you mean "life" or "life" in Scotland?

[quote name='elprincipe']Do you mean "life" or "life" in Scotland?[/QUOTE]

Preferably, the show trial would begin when doctors gave Cheney something like 6 months to live.

Then, the jury would come back with a decision a few weeks or months after his memorial service.

Remember Slobby Milosovech?

bread's done
Back