Obama Care Could Be Deadly

[quote name='HowStern']Shit makes me nuts.

Kids will die if healthcare stays the way it is but people against reform say Obama is "Hitler."[/QUOTE]

Kids will die if these bullshit health care reform bills pass. They aren't reform. They're bullshit.

[quote name='fullmetalfan720']Kids will die if these bullshit health care reform bills pass. They aren't reform. They're bullshit.[/QUOTE]

It appears the majority believes, no matter what they think is ideal, that the current bills are in fact bullshit.

[quote name='HowStern']Shit makes me nuts.

Kids will die if healthcare stays the way it is but people against reform say Obama is "Hitler."[/QUOTE]

Well to be fair a fair portion of children wouldn't die so much as their quality of life would be drastically reduced.

It would be mean to tar all of those against reform with being for a "pro-dead children" plan, they aren't all like unclebob.

[quote name='Ruined']Its in the same area FoC linked, not sure what part of what I said you are debating. (p16 of the bill) I figured you were just being difficult. Bottom line you have to have your insurance grandfathered in, then it is not possible to change it - if you change jobs, for instance.[/QUOTE]

What has FoC linked to?

Those pages define grandfathering, they don't come close to being able to be interpreted that you only have the option for public health insurance if you change jobs or whatever other criteria you listed.

I'm not being difficult. I'm trying to hang onto the only shred of decent debate in this thread - as the remainder if silly conservative philosophy and opinion polls which reinforce that a stupid public should stay stupid and have opinions.

I'm not sure how anyone with a grain of knowledge about healthcare in other developed nations can defend the current system here.

France - public option - spends almost half the GDP we do, rated #1.

Japan - public option - speds half the GDP we do and has the longest life expectancy.

USA - no public option - spends twice as much as every other developed nation - lowest life expectancy among them and rated #37

How is our current system ideal?

[quote name='HowStern']I'm not sure how anyone with a grain of knowledge about healthcare in other developed nations can defend the current system here.[/quote]

Some have almost no knowledge of how it works in other countries, with many it is willful denial. Then there are those who just lie about it (We're #1/Health Insurance = Hitler).

France - public option - spends almost half the GDP we do, rated #1.

Japan - public option - speds half the GDP we do and has the longest life expectancy.

USA - no public option - spends twice as much as every other developed nation - lowest life expectancy among them and rated #37

How is our current system ideal?

Just an example as a percentage (%) of GDP, the United States has a greater total public expenditure on health care than the United Kingdom does.

Not total expenditures, public expenditures.

Meaning more big ol' government health care in the US than the UK.

[quote name='Msut77']Well to be fair a fair portion of children wouldn't die so much as their quality of life would be drastically reduced.

It would be mean to tar all of those against reform with being for a "pro-dead children" plan, they aren't all like unclebob.[/QUOTE]
How the fuck is opposing these health care bills anything close to a "pro-dead children" plan? Its just like the Cap & Trade debacle. It doesn't actually help, rather it hurts, and if you are against it, you either hate people, or the Earth. If you think everyone has the right to health care, these bills aren't going to help. If you really want everyone to have access to free health care, offer Medicare to everyone, if they want it. Don't play bullshit with these bills that are being debated. They aren't going to help anyone. They take away 11-12% (at least) of people's income to buy health care. Who does that help? Insurance companies. Who gets 220 billion in savings? Insurance companies. Who is practically bankrupt because of the derivatives trading? Insurance companies. Its a secret bailout, disguised as "Health Care Reform." And all of you suckers have fell for it.

[quote name='fullmetalfan720'] If you think everyone has the right to health care, these bills aren't going to help. If you really want everyone to have access to free health care, offer Medicare to everyone, if they want it. Don't play bullshit with these bills that are being debated. They aren't going to help anyone. They take away 11-12% (at least) of people's income to buy health care. Who does that help? Insurance companies. Who gets 220 billion in savings? Insurance companies. Who is practically bankrupt because of the derivatives trading? Insurance companies. Its a secret bailout, disguised as "Health Care Reform." And all of you suckers have fell for it.[/QUOTE]

I've been mostly lurking this thread because I didn't have the energy to formulate a statement that is essentially that.

One "Nail on the head" achievement for you.

Of course, you aren't going to be surprised when they bully their plan through with all the grand flaming sense of emergency they did with the last bailout package, are you? That's the only way it will pass, and everyone for it knows it.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204251404574342170072865070.html
At Whole Foods we allow our team members to vote on what benefits they most want the company to fund. Our Canadian and British employees express their benefit preferences very clearly—they want supplemental health-care dollars that they can control and spend themselves without permission from their governments. Why would they want such additional health-care benefit dollars if they already have an "intrinsic right to health care"? The answer is clear—no such right truly exists in either Canada or the U.K.—or in any other country.

[quote name='UncleBob']More Astroturfing from Camp Obama:
http://www.barackobama.com/twitter/tweetyoursenator/?source=108

Use our automated website to SPAM your representatives with Twitter messages.
Odd, I sent one using this site, but it doesn't show up on the map... Wonder why?
cagus.smile.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Its a conspiracy.
That aside, private insurers kill more than any public option could hope to. Private insurers have profit margins to worry about, and sometimes even stockholders clamoring for constant growth. None of which mean anything good for the customer or employer paying for insurance.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090816/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/us_sebelius_health_care

Progress.... Though still not near ideal since it will likely be government subsidized. And it is still unknown whether this is movement towards the eventual elimination of private healthcare a la the Pelosi bill, won't know that until we see the text of the bill. I'll be straight up, after that Pelosi house bill I just don't trust these guys anymore on this topic. (similar to how I felt after cap and trade passed in the house)

[quote name='fullmetalfan720']More proof that this health care bill is bullshit. There won't be a public option. There will only be an individual mandate, so that people are forced to pay for insurance they can't afford, all the while giving the health insurance, and drug companies a huge bailout.[/QUOTE]

That being said, I don't think lower income families should get 100% free healthcare a la Medicaid either for certain specific instances; take ER visits, for example. I know plenty of people that abuse that system and go to the ER when their doctor doesn't give them a certain medication they want (usually because that medication often has addictive properties); we are talking going to the ER twice a week for a month to get med refills (benzos are famous for spurring this). If they added a co-pay of $25 to ER visits it would probably restrict said visits to true emergencies.

[quote name='thrustbucket']Foc, are you calling for revolution?[/QUOTE]

Not really. I'd rather not go to prison.

Mass exodus, maybe.

Frankly, I don't think armed conflict is necessary. The government has made so many promises it can't keep (Medicaid, Medicare and Social Security), pisses away so much money (Iraq and Afghanistan) and continues to borrow from people who won't lend money forever (Russia and China). If one foreign country decides to back out or the current obligations are kept, the whole infernal contraption will fall apart.

If our politicians weren't all on the same page, some state would have left the Union by now.

When historians document this period of history, does anybody think they'll be kind to us because of how duped we were?

[quote name='Ruined']http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090816/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/us_sebelius_health_care

Progress.... Though still not near ideal since it will likely be government subsidized. And it is still unknown whether this is movement towards the eventual elimination of private healthcare a la the Pelosi bill, won't know that until we see the text of the bill. I'll be straight up, after that Pelosi house bill I just don't trust these guys anymore on this topic. (similar to how I felt after cap and trade passed in the house)[/QUOTE]

It's a shame that political pressure from an idiotic, foaming-at-the-mouth public is having an effect on these proposals. Misinformation from the elites in the health care industry, supplemented by the uninformed "YEAH!" and cheerleading from people like you, who mistake their opinion is fundamentally flawed by your inability to (1) discern fact from fiction because (2) everything you believe is filtered through your ideology first.

It was the right-wingers, starting with Nixon, that have led to the US corrections system increasing its budget 4 times over (at the least!), its population 7 times over, and discovering that the people who experience this system are more likely than ever to reoffend and be rearrested after release. The philosophy of scaring the public, Willie Horton style, into voting for the guys who would put people behind bars and for longer, helped keep the Republicans in power for several decades; likewise, the "soft on crime" label damaged Democrats immensely during this time period.

And in the end, almost 4 decades later, we still favor this "lock 'em up and throw away the key" philosophy, never stopping to listen to reason that it's too expensive, or that it's ineffective, or that creating an enemy to combat and making the public scared of what might happen was a way of lying and manipulating the public. That we embraced and supported such a backwards and foolish idea of what "corrections" should be like that we've damaged our society for decades to come. And in the end, we have ourselves to blame for following ideology and not empiricism (as Ruined likes to admit, empiricism just isn't as trustworthy as ones gut instinct), and we have the financial and social penalties of fucking up corrections to deal with throughout the rest of our own lives.

I became an empiricist because I looked at the prison system in the US, particularly over the past ~40 years. That's why it's so difficult to see and deal with an easily duped American public screaming misinformation, ignoring facts, and crying foul. Because they don't have facts on their side. The closest you came to a fact, Ruined, was an insinuation that a page defining "grandfathered" health care meant that we would all be forced into a public option - at best, a misreading of text so incredibly off the mark that I question your English literacy; at worst, lies so strong that you are fully aware of the degree to which you have to stretch facts and lie to foment support for your vantage point. Both are extraordinarily shameful and disgusting.

[quote name='fatherofcaitlyn']Not really. I'd rather not go to prison.

Mass exodus, maybe.

Frankly, I don't think armed conflict is necessary. The government has made so many promises it can't keep (Medicaid, Medicare and Social Security), pisses away so much money (Iraq and Afghanistan) and continues to borrow from people who won't lend money forever (Russia and China). If one foreign country decides to back out or the current obligations are kept, the whole infernal contraption will fall apart.

If our politicians weren't all on the same page, some state would have left the Union by now.

When historians document this period of history, does anybody think they'll be kind to us because of how duped we were?[/QUOTE]
Here's what we are going to see. This country is falling apart, and if you don't think so, you aren't paying attention. China isn't buying US dollars anymore. Everyone is looking to dump their dollars. Now, the only people buying them are the Federal Reserve. You can't have the people who are printing the money buy the debt, because it causes a massive devaluation of the currency. Our economy is about 72% consumer spending. You can't sustain that. We make almost nothing anymore. Income inequality is at an all time high. The government keeps coming up with these scams that only benefit the extremely wealthy, while screwing over everyone else. The basic idea behind capitalism has been destroyed by the idea of "Too Big To Fail." We aren't a Republic anymore, instead we have turned into an oligarchy. The fact is, we are heading toward either a revolution, collapse, or war.

I mean, FFS, you keep referring to a "Pelosi Bill," and yet you've not linked to a SINGLE PIECE OF LEGISLATION with her name on it. You've not provided a SINGLE QUOTE FROM HER that is in regard to health care.

Yet if we listen to you, it's "Pelosi Bill/Pelosi Bill/Pelosi Bill." Where did this phrase come from? You haven't read it anywhere on actual documents. Did you make it up? Did you get it from Glenn Beck and his hilarious "poison nancy pelosi segment?" (was that the one that followed his advice that his viewers don't do anything violent to politicians? or was is the one where he decried how miserable and ruined and wretched our health care system is)?

There is no "Pelosi Bill," and yet you use that tired old boogeyman. Admit it. You have no facts on your side, just ideology and...well, ideology. Allow me to frame it very succinctly and painfully: the closest Ruined came to providing a fact involved a citation of John Stossel.

:lol:

EDIT: Here's an extra :rofl: for "hysterical panic" fullmetalfan. GTFO - you and Sarang and the other wingnuts can have a "world's going down the drain because we didn't elect Ron Paul to annihilate the federal government" pity party somewhere else. Stay on topic in here, and go start another "money masters" circle jerk in another thread.

[quote name='mykevermin']
EDIT: Here's an extra :rofl: for "hysterical panic" fullmetalfan. GTFO - you and Sarang and the other wingnuts can have a "world's going down the drain because we didn't elect Ron Paul to annihilate the federal government" pity party somewhere else. Stay on topic in here, and go start another "money masters" circle jerk in another thread.[/QUOTE]
What are you delusional? Do you not know how economics works? Have you seen the price of gold lately?
au883-999.gif

Only goes to 1998
Metals Date Time(EST) Bid Ask Change Low High
GOLD 08/14/2009 17:14 947.60 948.60 -7.30 -0.76% 941.20 959.40
http://www.kitco.com/market/
Gold is at record highs, and you think the dollar is fine? The Treasury can't get China to buy our debt anymore, and you think everything is fine?

The Euro is at 1.4294 US Dollars (1 Euro = 1.4294 US Dollars)
It has been as low as 0.8324 US Dollars per Euro, a mere 8 years ago. (1 Euro = 0.8324 US dollars)
Is this normal?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='mykevermin']EDIT: Here's an extra :rofl: for "hysterical panic" fullmetalfan. GTFO - you and Sarang and the other wingnuts can have a "world's going down the drain because we didn't elect Ron Paul to annihilate the federal government" pity party somewhere else. Stay on topic in here, and go start another "money masters" circle jerk in another thread.[/QUOTE]

FMF720 forgot to link this a couple of pages back.

http://globalresearch.ca/index.php?context=va&aid=14768

I didn't see a lot of comments about it. Assuming it isn't complete and utter bullshit, wouldn't you be opposed to another bailout as health care reform?

fullmetalfan, I'm saying start another thread - cut the "collapse all your political woes into one big burst" nonsense. Not an iota of what you said is on topic. That's why I'm saying. God damn you're a dense dude. But you already knew that.

FoC, did you mean to link to something else? Because what I read at that link was nothing new, unique, or inspiring, but a lazy, poorly written opinion-editorial that (1) doesn't bring anything new to the table and (2) declared the bailout package a failure without providing evidence for it.

[quote name='UncleBob']http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204251404574342170072865070.html[/QUOTE]

An op-ed, which is mostly an advertisement for Whole Foods and you choose to quote an anecdote with no numbers leading to a rather silly leap of logic.

Wacky Mackey's plan calls for having employees pay more, companies pay less and for people with pre-existing conditions (and those who are just not profitable) to be covered even less.

Oh and then go after Medicare.

Nice wharrgument Bob.

[quote name='mykevermin']fullmetalfan, I'm saying start another thread - cut the "collapse all your political woes into one big burst" nonsense. Not an iota of what you said is on topic. That's why I'm saying. God damn you're a dense dude. But you already knew that.
[/QUOTE]
It all fits in. The government doesn't work for the people anymore. It works for whoever gives the politicians the most money for their campaigns. That's why we have the bailout scam, and this health care reform scam. Since you seem to think that the bailout was such a good idea, answer this question. Why is it that the ultra-rich should be given trillions when the make some bad gambles, but the rest of us are given nothing? The same principal that is behind the bailouts, is behind health care reform. Screw over the people, give the big corporations lots of money. Do I really need to post these things a third time?
Internal Memo Confirms Big Giveaways In White House Deal With Big Pharma

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/08/13/internal-memo-confirms-bi_n_258285.html
Democrats in Pay-For-Play Deal With PhRMA?

http://firedoglake.com/2009/08/09/democrats-in-pay-for-play-deal-with-phrma/

"It all fits in." The true cattle call of the conspiracy theorist.

The bailout is the other side of the coin that, were this another round of bush tax cuts, you'd be gushing about how awesome it is that government was shrinking.

You're upset about the method of attempting to keep the economy from collapsing, not realizing that it's the same thing as a method you would have been, for lack of a better phrase, "sweet on."

You're conflating several issues as usual. Are you against funding the market to keep it from collapsing (as you would suggest from your reaction to the bailouts), or are you just jealous that you did not get a slice, too (as you suggest in the above post)? If it's the former, good on you. But if it is the former, then your post above makes no sense. If it is the latter, then your objection isn't to the economic technique being employed, but, rather, that you're simply jealous.

Look, dude, I believe in what C Wright Mills called "The Power Elite." I don't need any modern day conspiracy theorists to tell me or convince me of that. But that doesn't mean that I'm an ideological knucklehead who is uniformly against anything because it might violate what I *think* is supposed to be some philosophical consistency. That's lazy and inept. I prefer nuance and complexity in how I view policies in the world. But this phony idea of "consistency" more often than not leads us to being concerned about image and ideology and than it does actual thought and debate.

In the end, I'm not really interested in the money screamers such as yourself. We were $11T in debt at the start of this year. Your Johnny-come-lately-tea-party folks don't interest me, since they're comprised of the old-ass motherfuckers who were responsible for the policies of the last 30 years. I doubt the sincerity of anyone who finds themselves a grown adult, in 2009, *now* concerned about government spending.

Paul Krugman is right - no matter what policies he tried, no matter what he would do, or say, it would lead to hysterics, screaming, and reactionary paranoia among the right-wing. He could do no right, and the media would actually be such a bag of fucking wimps that it would spend time debunking (and therefore dignifying) the absurd dipshit claims of the right wing. "No, there won't be death panels, and there won't be euthanasia" are things said by the media, which helps whip up the fucking idiots on the right into a storm because it validates their existence and critiques.

Paul Krugman made the claim that we would have years of reactionary screaming, braying, and outrage that is wholly disconnected from fact - in January of 2008, before the primaries. He was dead right. And your nonsense doesn't refute that.

[quote name='mykevermin']
EDIT: Here's an extra :rofl: for "hysterical panic" fullmetalfan. GTFO - you and Sarang and the other wingnuts can have a "world's going down the drain because we didn't elect Ron Paul to annihilate the federal government" pity party somewhere else. Stay on topic in here, and go start another "money masters" circle jerk in another thread.[/QUOTE]
Those "circle jerk" issues will come up when it comes to almost every political headline, because those issues are the true heart of this hydra. You can only argue the nuances and intricacies of the limbs so long before the argument leads to it's root causes.

I often wish you had watched all of money masters, because with your mind I think we could have some truly meaningful discourse in this place; assuming you were open-minded enough not to discard it all based on some typical academic formula of lack of scientific consensus or accreditation.

[quote name='mykevermin']"It all fits in." The true cattle call of the conspiracy theorist.

The bailout is the other side of the coin that, were this another round of bush tax cuts, you'd be gushing about how awesome it is that government was shrinking.[/quote]
Absolute BS. Your argument against this stuff totally collapses when you start making assumptions that those that are against all this spending were somehow ok with it when Republicans/Bush did it. That's simply not true and shows your willful ignorance and selective memory of those voices the past several years.

You're upset about the method of attempting to keep the economy from collapsing, not realizing that it's the same thing as a method you would have been, for lack of a better phrase, "sweet on."
Again, myself and many others were decrying it just as much at least two years ago. We predicted the same patterns would persist no matter who was elected, as proof that the majority of the so-called political debate had become nothing but a puppet show. Then, when we turn out to be right, you and others conjur up all this "you weren't this mad with Bush" horse shit - well you aren't going to get away with the same tired partisan banter on this one.

In the end, I'm not really interested in the money screamers such as yourself. We were $11T in debt at the start of this year. Your Johnny-come-lately-tea-party folks don't interest me, since they're comprised of the old-ass motherfuckers who were responsible for the policies of the last 30 years. I doubt the sincerity of anyone who finds themselves a grown adult, in 2009, *now* concerned about government spending.
This paragraph sums up just how out of touch you really are from political thinking outside your own (which is to be expected from one that still hasn't put down the MSM popcorn and walked away from the fixed political chess match). I don't even know where to start.

Paul Krugman is right - no matter what policies he tried, no matter what he would do, or say, it would lead to hysterics, screaming, and reactionary paranoia among the right-wing. He could do no right, and the media would actually be such a bag of fucking wimps that it would spend time debunking (and therefore dignifying) the absurd dipshit claims of the right wing. "No, there won't be death panels, and there won't be euthanasia" are things said by the media, which helps whip up the fucking idiots on the right into a storm because it validates their existence and critiques.

Paul Krugman made the claim that we would have years of reactionary screaming, braying, and outrage that is wholly disconnected from fact - in January of 2008, before the primaries. He was dead right. And your nonsense doesn't refute that.
There isn't a more left-leaning pro-spending so-called economist other than Krugman in the media - and you've made it clear several times you not only like him and admire him but think he's accurate and stellar. That's fine, keep reading his stuff partisan quaking if it entertains you - but just know that while you admire Paul Krugman when he predicts water will be wet, some of us don't have time to listen to such elementary predictions, nor are we as impressed.

All I have to say to that Krugman hot air is that as long as we keep slicing everything up as "left did that and right did this", "Repubs did this and Dems did that", "YOUR people ruined this the past 30 years and MY people are trying to fix it" - you are not only simply following the standard recipe for the idealogical shell game that has taken this country to where it's at, but you'll help those truly in power take it to where they want.

That's your choice, if you are aware of the wizard behind the curtain but still prefer his faux political discourse/debate and show with the curtain down, good for you, but stop bashing those that are more interested in separating distractions, puppet shows, political slight-of-hand, and mis-information from simple follow-the-money fact finding and truth.

It's cute when you try to distill every single argument you disagree with down to a "right-wing" one, but it's getting a little stale. Sooner or later your going to have to admit that truth doesn't have a "side" or ideology.

mykevermin, is it really necessary to personally attack people that don't agree with you? Is it necessary to call people "stupid" just because their vision of healthcare doesn't align with yours?

It really seems you are going off the deep end here attacking everyone as being naive, conspiracy theorists, upset republicans, rabid, stupid, whatever, while it is just a case of different visions for what healthcare should be. The government is responding to the majority who was apalled by the House bill, and is finally starting to realize that the public plan is simply not going to float. You might want that public plan, but polls show the majority of Americans including myself do not want a public option or anything resembling England/Canada healthcare. And there was plenty of evidence provided over the past 45+ pages whether you personally accepted it or not.

If you want to lash out at someone, lash out at your House democrat representatives who came up with a health bill with such extreme language and big-government direction. If their bill was less radical, you would not have had this public outcry.

[quote name='Ruined']
If you want to lash out at someone, lash out at your House democrat representatives who came up with a health bill with such extreme language and big-government direction. If their bill was less radical, you would not have had this public outcry.[/QUOTE]

The problem is that we have a President who is, going by much of his past, a radical (until he ran for president). We have a Senate and Congress filled with radicals. They see this as a rare opportunity to do some massive radical agenda ramming. It's as simple as that.

What they didn't expect was that most of America is not radical, nor do they usually like radical ideas (even though I do from time to time). So they have no choice now but to convince everyone that those that vocally oppose their plan are radicals.

The whole thing is rather radical.

[quote name='Ruined']mykevermin, is it really necessary to personally attack people that don't agree with you? Is it necessary to call people "stupid" just because their vision of healthcare doesn't align with yours?

It really seems you are going off the deep end here attacking everyone as being naive, conspiracy theorists, upset republicans, rabid, stupid, whatever, while it is just a case of different visions for what healthcare should be. The government is responding to the majority who was apalled by the House bill, and is finally starting to realize that the public plan is simply not going to float. You might want that public plan, but polls show the majority of Americans including myself do not want a public option or anything resembling England/Canada healthcare. And there was plenty of evidence provided over the past 45+ pages whether you personally accepted it or not.

If you want to lash out at someone, lash out at your House democrat representatives who came up with a health bill with such extreme language and big-government direction. If their bill was less radical, you would not have had this public outcry.[/QUOTE]

Stop dancing for a moment.

Go back to the house bill you cited. Provide the logic behind how you get from a page defining policies that qualify for grandfathering and your claim that this "Pelosi Bill" forces you, and everyone, into the public option, with no chance at retaining private insurance.

Cut the umbilical cord to your op-eds and do your own fucking analysis for a moment.

Also explain to me why you call it the "Pelosi Bill."

Have some self-respect and do your own work - I'm rather tired of your ideology, your admittance that you're not interested in data but you are interested in your gut reaction, your citation of op eds, etc.

The closest you came to anything "fact" related in this entire thread is a John Stossel op-ed.

I see Bob has failed yet again to make an argument other than "unprofitable people should die" and that him and other posters have a profound lack of not only solutions to our problem but also understanding what the problem is in the first place.

[quote name='thrustbucket']The problem is that we have a President who is, going by much of his past, a radical (until he ran for president). We have a Senate and Congress filled with radicals. They see this as a rare opportunity to do some massive radical agenda ramming. It's as simple as that.

What they didn't expect was that most of America is not radical, nor do they usually like radical ideas (even though I do from time to time). So they have no choice now but to convince everyone that those that vocally oppose their plan are radicals.

The whole thing is rather radical.[/QUOTE]

128889640032558044.jpg

Nice fucking job Democrats. You have one of the most powerful majorities in recent history, and you can't pass a watered-down version of the singles biggest thing you've wanted to do since FDR. You allow mentally defective fucktards who are completely disconnected from reality to bully you into submission. fuck you you fucking pussies.

Healthcare reform and expanding access to all is about as radical as expecting Doctors to wash their hands before seeing a patient.

[quote name='Msut77']Healthcare reform and expanding access to all is about as radical as expecting Doctors to wash their hands before seeing a patient.[/QUOTE]

Uh, expanding access to health care to all is something these bills won't even come close to doing.

[quote name='evanft']Nice fucking job Democrats. You have one of the most powerful majorities in recent history, and you can't pass a watered-down version of the singles biggest thing you've wanted to do since FDR. You allow mentally defective fucktards who are completely disconnected from reality to bully you into submission. fuck you you fucking pussies.[/QUOTE]

Seriously. The only thing "radical" the Democrats are doing is grabbing their ankles for loudmouth idiots on the Right with record speed.

radical definition
radi·cal (rad′i kəl)
adjective
of or from the root or roots; going to the foundation or source of something; fundamental; basic a radical principle
extreme; thorough a radical change in one's life
favoring fundamental or extreme change; specif., favoring basic change in the social or economic structure
designating or of any of various modern political parties, esp. in Europe, ranging from moderate to conservative in program

BOT. of or coming from the root
MATH. having to do with the root or roots of a number or quantity

Etymology: ME < LL radicalis < L radix (gen. radicis), root

noun
a basic or root part of something
a fundamental
a person holding radical views, esp. one favoring fundamental social or economic change
a member or adherent of a Radical party
CHEM. a group of two or more atoms that acts as a single atom and goes through a reaction unchanged, or is replaced by a single atom: it is normally incapable of separate existence
MATH.
the indicated root of a quantity or quantities, shown by an expression written under the radical sign
radical sign

So who exactly is and isn't radical where healthcare is concerned?

Slightly nsfw:
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=thrustbucket

Like I said, a push for Universal Healthcare is about as radical as expecting doctors and nurses to wash their hands (the two concepts are about the same age) and just because it wasn't always done that way doesn't make it (ooh scary) radical.

You want radical check out Bobs "unprofitable people should die" plan, seems like something you would support.

[quote name='evanft']Nice fucking job Democrats. You have one of the most powerful majorities in recent history, and you can't pass a watered-down version of the singles biggest thing you've wanted to do since FDR. You allow mentally defective fucktards who are completely disconnected from reality to bully you into submission. fuck you you fucking pussies.[/QUOTE]

Evanft, you surprise me. This is exactly how I'm feeling right now.

WTG America. You want to get fucked hard by big insurance, bend over and open wide and they're going to give you a big surprise.

Like I always say - America's new healthplan: don't get sick.

[quote name='thrustbucket']favoring fundamental or extreme change ... So who exactly is and isn't radical where healthcare is concerned?[/QUOTE]

Look man, I'm not gonna get into it with you. It's not exactly reading tea leaves to suss out your position on this, and we've gone around in circles too many times for me to think there's a point in my explaining the details.

If you think Barack Obama is a radical, or that trying to get fifty million Americans access to health care is radical, then more power to you. You and the X-treme sports marketing people have your work cut out for you, because -- literally -- the rest of the English speaking world has a tougher benchmark than "to the left of fucking crazy assholes on the Right" for that word.

Wow. Now we're arguing over the definition of "radical"... Face it, the idea of government-sponsored, universal health care in the United States *is* radical.

Of course, being "radical" in-and-of itself doesn't mean it's a bad thing. It just means it's a major, all-at-once change in the way things have been done. Be honest with yourself. Put aside the death panels, the slaughter of the old folks, the rationing and the lines, etc... the basic premise of what's being put on the table *is* big. No, HUGE.

If there was a main stream candidate that wanted to shut down the Federal Reserve, I'd say that guy's idea was radical.
If there was a main stream candidate that wanted to pull all of our troops back home from overseas and focus on our problems here, I'd say that guy's idea was radical.
If there was a main stream candidate that wanted to abolish the IRS and establish the Fair Tax, I'd say that guy's idea was radical.

I'd agree with every one of them, but I could recognize that the actions would have a major effect on every day lifestyle for every American.

So would "Obamacare". It's a radical plan.

[quote name='UncleBob']Wow. Now we're arguing over the definition of "radical"... Face it, the idea of government-sponsored, universal health care in the United States *is* radical...[/QUOTE]

... to people who are sheltered, uninformed, or otherwise regressive. To everyone else, however, it's not radical at all -- it's fucking common sense. And since the latter substantially outnumber the former, it is literally not a radical idea to most people, as most people understand the term "radical."

To put it another way: TV ain't "radical" technology just because the Amish don't have it.

[quote name='UncleBob']Put aside the death panels, the slaughter of the old folks, the rationing and the lines, etc...[/QUOTE]

This is why we can't have nice things.

trq, just because something is radical doesn't mean it isn't right. Completely overhauling how our government works in every single Americans lives is radical. I guess you are the only one that has a hard time calling it such, but it's not a bad thing.

I think your problem is that when you hear the word radical, you think of things like
gathering_-1.jpg

The founding fathers were radicals. MLK was a radical. Abraham Lincoln was a radical. Pretty much every good change that's ever come down the pipe has been from radicals. I strongly advocate electing more radicals; they just may be a different flavor than your preferred radicals.

My only point was that because it is radical (meaning an extreme change, which the healthcare proposals mostly are) most Americans, of all political leanings get scared. This is natural. People don't like radical changes to their lives and it's natural to want to scrutinize it. Americans know what it feels like to be rushed and pressured by a slick salesmen that don't even fully understand what they are selling, and that's why the polls are where they are.

Now, maybe you personally have meticulously read the current proposals on the table and you think they are fabulous. Fantastic for you. But give the courtesy to others to do the same and find parts that may be a bit iffy to them - after all, even you should agree that such a major, costly, and lasting change in America must get it right the first time and must be bulletproof.

Radical or not sometimes things need to get done.

I have always advocated a single-payer system over creating a whole new entity just to administer a public option. That seems less radical to me.

[quote name='Ruined']I am arguing against the public option because I believe if included *at all* the government will rig it so that it WILL become the only choice in time even if it is not initially. Pelosi's bill is already rigged this way, it says so right in the bill that you can keep your private insurance, but if you switch jobs/get married/have kids you are forced into the public option.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Ruined']+1

What you don't know can kill you! Or at least render you at the mercy of the government as their public plan becomes your only option in time.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Ruined']The Pelosi/House plan forbids private insurance companies to write new policies, and it forbids consumers to change their private policy, forcing them into the public option if they change jobs/marry/have kids. So there would be *no* option *except* the government public option under the Pelosi/House plan as you can see from the bill text a few posts above. The bill kills off private insurance companies on purpose.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Ruined']What exactly would motivate the government to have a quality of care to be comparable to what you have now if there is *no competition*? If there is only the government option and nothing else, you will take what they give you and like it, because you have no other option. Don't like it? Too bad. And that is why the current democrat bills are dogs. Private insurance competition needs to be in there, and all of the current democrat bills essentially eliminate that competition over time, leaving a single government public option with no competition as the *only* option. That leaves open the possibility of the care being significantly worse than what you have now with the citizen having nothing they can do about it and no ability to elect coverage from another provider.

Frankly, given the intentions of the Democrat bills out there which all explicitly eliminate private insurance over time, I won't trust ANY bill with a public option in it for that reason. Our government seems keen to take everything over exclusively. Thus, I and many other are staunchly opposed to any bill containing a public option at all as a result.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Ruined']Its in the same area FoC linked, not sure what part of what I said you are debating. (p16 of the bill) I figured you were just being difficult. Bottom line you have to have your insurance grandfathered in, then it is not possible to change it - if you change jobs, for instance.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Ruined']But, for the Pelosi house bill that argument need not even be made. It says directly in the bill that you can keep your current private insurance, but private insurance companies cannot write new policies and people cannot change their current policies. So if you change jobs or have a child, etc, under the Pelosi house bill you will be out of luck and forced into the public option. Of course, people with what will be far superior private insurance would not want this.

The public option needs to be dropped entirely for Obama to have a chance of passing any type of health reform.[/QUOTE]

Defend these statements. You've not even come close to doing so.

1) What is a "Pelosi Bill" and why is it called such?

2) Where is the language that supports your claims that private companies cannot write new policies? Language that says you MUST buy the public healthcare anytime you get married/etc.

Stand up for yourself and defend these claims. You've done nothing of the sort.

bread's done
Back