Oblivion Difficulty?

doc_zaius

CAGiversary!
I am about 200 hours in to Oblivion and I was wondering what difficulty level everyone plays with.

I find 5 clicks right to be the sweet spot for me, challenging but not frustrating.

my girlfriend likes 7 clicks to the left.

how about you?

I found that I am horrible at melee in the game, not sure what it is, so I left it on default. Considered switching to easier though.

[quote name='RudyPants']I just play at normal difficulty (default). Does it affect the items / gold you find if you adjust it to make it harder?[/quote]

it only affects the damage done and recieved. up to 6x in either direction (ie. you do six times more or 6 times less damage and your enemies do the inverse.)

It's been awhile since I've played, but I do know I had the slider to the left of the default position, but I don't remember how far. I was getting tired of those Godless killing machines known as bears ripping my character to shreds so I decided to make them a little bit easier to kill.

I've kept it at default, though I know I can rarely kill the bears right now, often I catch myself running towards town until I can get a guard to help me out.

The real time difficulty adjustment setting is what kind of turned me off on this game and I never got far.

I played a bard, because I figured it was a character nobody played. And I can't win any of the hard fights. The one part where
you are led in the sewers to meet with those 3 dudes and you have to kill them
was impossible without adjusting the difficulty.

I literally just started it last night. I just got out of the sewers, went to the Priory and saved. I always play games on their default setting so I never looked for a difficulty. I was advised to play a rogue type so I went with Thief, although I'm a bit worried about not having a melee skill.

[quote name='Damian']I literally just started it last night. I just got out of the sewers, went to the Priory and saved. I always play games on their default setting so I never looked for a difficulty. I was advised to play a rogue type so I went with Thief, although I'm a bit worried about not having a melee skill.[/QUOTE]

I thought thieves started out with decent short blade?

I play a monk, which is hand-to-hand/bow, and I still manage to kick ass. I'll punch a bear in the face.

I think it started 3/4 to the right. But I have my Gamertag set up to start games at the hard difficulty.

I moved it a bit to the left at the beginning, because I couldn't figure out how to equip weapons, and kept getting killed by the rats in the sewer, trying to kill them bare-fisted.

After I got out I moved it back a few clicks to the right.

Haven't touched it since then.

I did find killing
mankar cameron and his children
riddiculously easy. I kind of wish I had upped the difficulty for that.

The very very end was kind of difficult before I figured it out. I never changed the difficulty for that though.

I think I'm about 30 hours in. I'm at at least the 2nd rank in most guilds, I got my Mage staff, and I've beaten the main quest.

I stick with the default, though I find the difficulty swings wildly in either direction from time to time -- I've killed a small village without much effort, but had to sink 200+ arrows and spells into a troll to kill it. There really doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason with it, which I sort of like (adds realism) and sort of hate (not exactly playing the game to simulate real life here).

Ive always played it on default, dont feel like cheating myself out of the experience. If im bored, ill put it all the way up and kill some wolfs, or all the way down and mow down some cities. "Ill punch a bear in the face" =lmao

I found it hard to kill deadras in Kvatch when I was level 19... There were too many of those things... I think a player should firstly finish main quests, and after that explore the world... Otherwise, he will get to big level to finish the game... I know it sounds stupid, but its true!!

When I made a new character, I decided to see how deadly the hardest difficulty was. I think it's pretty much impossible. I hadn't even picked a class yet, and when I was told to wait by the gate from the Emperor's guard, the first rat in the game busted through the wall and I couldn't even kill it. My attacks were doing almost no damage and it raped me in a few hits.

I kept it at default. If you take time to smell the roses (don't rush through the main missions), you'll be alright most of the time. ...just have to pick your battles at first. I found that it seemed easier later on.

When I rent games, I usually play on an easier setting so I can finish them before I have to return them. Nothing worse than returning an unfinished game - you know you're never gonna rent that sucker again, just so you can finish it.

bread's done
Back