Oblivion for PS3/PSP Officially Confirmed by OPM Cover (new info from the mag itself)

[quote name='seanr1221']So Oblivion is going to take up 5GB on my HDD?[/quote]

Non-GOTY edition takes up 4.2GB by itself anyway.

Does anybody know if the GOTY version has anything improved over the previous version? Better graphics/framerate/sound, etc?

[quote name='Teh Nitwit']Does anybody know if the GOTY version has anything improved over the previous version? Better graphics/framerate/sound, etc?[/quote]

Probably updated patches, but other than that, the things you describe will be the same. The main reason to get GOTY is for the expanded content.

[quote name='espywork']Probably updated patches, but other than that, the things you describe will be the same. The main reason to get GOTY is for the expanded content.[/quote]

Thanks for response. Did the previous version have any significant bugs?

When does this game install? I loaded it up and while it chugged in the beginning, it ended up playing just fine.

I only ask because all my other games had to install before they played.

Thanks for response. Did the previous version have any significant bugs?
I don't honestly know. I came across one where I was flying and thought my game was ruined, but restarting the game fixed it. Other than that, I have had a good experience, especially compared to Morrowind on Xbox. I don't do anything crazy though like leaving items everywhere. The game catalogues where ever you drop things or store things so it can be substantial the longer you play.

When does this game install? I loaded it up and while it chugged in the beginning, it ended up playing just fine.
It's sneaky, it installs as you play I believe. If you look into your saved data folders, you'll stumble across one for Oblivion that will clock in at 4-5GB.

I think there was some game-breaking bug that kicked in on regular Oblivions after 100-200 hours or something. When Shivering Isles first came out on the 360 supposedly it had sped up the process and items just started disappearing and this bug would happen under 100 hours I think.

I'm going to wait and see how the GOTY edition does on the PS3 first before deciding. If it's somehow worse I can deal with the regular version.

[quote name='espywork']I don't honestly know. I came across one where I was flying and thought my game was ruined, but restarting the game fixed it. Other than that, I have had a good experience, especially compared to Morrowind on Xbox. I don't do anything crazy though like leaving items everywhere. The game catalogues where ever you drop things or store things so it can be substantial the longer you play.

It's sneaky, it installs as you play I believe. If you look into your saved data folders, you'll stumble across one for Oblivion that will clock in at 4-5GB.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I just checked my folder after playing a little more and saw that it was up to 4400MB.

[quote name='seanr1221']Called 5 stores, none got it in today. :([/quote]I swung by Best Buy, but it wasn't there. Apparently, the game is coming via UPS instead of a Best Buy truck. The guy I spoke with said it should be here tomorrow. Oh the joys of living in the middle of fucking nowhere! Although, seanr1221, looks like you live in Philly, so not sure what the problem is there. =\

Gamestops have it. At least mine did. I sort of wish I hadn't sold the 360 version to help pay for the preorder so I could compare them side by side but at the moment, everything seems peachy. Granted, I only played enough to get outside and head for a town but it's as good as ever.

[quote name='panasonic']Wait so if i only have 2gbs left on my hdd i can't play oblivion on ps3?[/QUOTE]

I think so, I had 9-10 left when I played it but it says on the box that it requires 5400 mb of available space.

I just noticed Oblivion was $30 now.

I know Wombat likes it a lot.

I was thinking about picking it up on my way home today but I'm really not sure what it's like. Is it fun like God of War fun or is it more in-depth like D&D or something? If it's GoW fun then I'm in. If it's 'hunt around for a bunch of stuff'-fun then I'd probably pass.

Thats not what he's asking. Its a great game for sure, but if you're not into the genre, then thats another story.

Its a very open game, so a lot of the quests do either boil down to fetching things or traversing great distances. I wouldnt describe it as an action game.

Check out some youtube videos for gameplay, or find video reviews. I think that would be instructive.

[quote name='Chris in Cali']It's the best game ever, it's worth $100 IMO. Well over 80 hours of gameplay in there, and it's crazy addicting.[/QUOTE]

Mr. Negativity speaks the truth.

Here's the straight answer: It's a role-playing game, like Final Fantasy or D&D. It's not an action game, like God of War. The end.

[quote name='trq']Here's the straight answer: It's a role-playing game, like Final Fantasy or D&D. It's not an action game, like God of War. The end.[/QUOTE]

You should fix this by saying: "It's a role-playing game, that's nothing at all like Final Fantasy or D&D."

[quote name='Brad Bishop']I just noticed Oblivion was $30 now.

I know Wombat likes it a lot.

I was thinking about picking it up on my way home today but I'm really not sure what it's like. Is it fun like God of War fun or is it more in-depth like D&D or something? If it's GoW fun then I'm in. If it's 'hunt around for a bunch of stuff'-fun then I'd probably pass.[/QUOTE]

Yes its worth it.
Really the only reason its dropped in price is due to the game of year the edition thats coming out soon.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']You should fix this by saying: "It's a role-playing game, that's nothing at all like Final Fantasy or D&D."[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I did think of that while I was typing, but I didn't want to confuse the guy. Besides, I'd say is IS quite a bit like pen & paper D&D (or the PC games), but not so much like Final Fantasy, no.

[quote name='trq']Yeah, I did think of that while I was typing, but I didn't want to confuse the guy. Besides, I'd say is IS quite a bit like pen & paper D&D (or the PC games), but not so much like Final Fantasy, no.[/QUOTE]

Fair enough. To the OP, the game feels much like pen and paper D&D, but the interface and fighting is very much streamlined so you never feel like you are bogged down in the details of stats and numbers.

A first-person World of Warcraft.

You might be able to score one for $15 at an FYE near you if they are doing the 50% off all games except Wii and Halo 3 deal.

First person RPG. Very much like traditional D&D as said before, or is my understanding from my knowledge of it to this point. Story and presentation are second to none. It's incredibly long and a little drawn out, and incredibly deep, which lost my interest by about the 4th hour.

You will never play this game and say it "sucks", because it doesn't no matter how you look at it. It is either your cup of tea, or it isn't. My attention span is that of a 10 year old with ADHD so I gave up playing it pretty quick. Probably worth the buy, especially used, even if you hate it you can return it or sell/trade it for roughly the same value anyway.

Hmmm - I only go about as deep as Diablo for role-playing games.

I loved Diablo. It had a great mix of 'build up your character' without being too heavily weighted on it (there was still plenty of killing involved - arcade like).

I've heard a lot of good things about Oblivion and at $30, it's tempting. I'd just hate to get it home and think, "I'm never going to get far enough into this for my character to ever matter."

yeah its worth 30, and buy another 30 dollar game and get one free from tru, then technically you're getting 3 for 20 each

[quote name='Brad Bishop']Hmmm - I only go about as deep as Diablo for role-playing games.

I loved Diablo. It had a great mix of 'build up your character' without being too heavily weighted on it (there was still plenty of killing involved - arcade like).

I've heard a lot of good things about Oblivion and at $30, it's tempting. I'd just hate to get it home and think, "I'm never going to get far enough into this for my character to ever matter."[/QUOTE]

You can still "fire and forget" a-la Diablo, with no emphasis on character development as far as "wonder if I need to get X up or should I go with Y?" or that sort of thing.

each level up gives you the option of adding 3 points to 1 - 3 of your skills (luck, strength, etc) and leveling is merely a matter of using your skills. There are a great many class-types to try, but do like I did (and the excellent FAQ elsewhere on here said)... make a custom class. That was about as involved as I got... and I use my skills without having to think about it... and voila! Level-up! :)

It's really more streamlined than you'd think with the amount of detail the game can offer. You can join as many guilds as you have time for... ;) Not to mention there's a TON of off-quest miscellaneous forts, dungeons, and ruins in the world.

As a former Diablo addict (but admittedly addicted to RPGs), I think you'll dig it... (it's not turned based combat either... it's realtime, FPS style)

the controller is laid out perfectly (IMO), and everything is really simple to get a handle on.... mapping is great, not to mention the quest points marked so you don't get lost... all in all, it's a massive game that actually is worth playing through all the way. :)

Wondering about getting this also..

Have never played Oblivion and just seeing how high this game is rated, I might pick one up..

Should I pick up the GOTY version? Only difference is the expansion set, shivering isles, right?

Anyone who hasn't, should at least rent Oblivion or borrow it in some way. It's an amazing game and it's pretty cheap. I put over 100 hours into the 360 version and wasn't finished or bored. I just started it again with the PS3 GOTY edition and it's still a blast.

[quote name='flasht3']A first-person World of Warcraft.

You might be able to score one for $15 at an FYE near you if they are doing the 50% off all games except Wii and Halo 3 deal.[/quote]

u can do third person too lol:)

A huge open world go anywhere do anything RPG, perhaps more true to the spirit of Dungeons and Dragons then any of the Dungeons and Dragon videogames.

Has anyone in Canada been able to find the GOTY version? I'm in Toronto and haven't spotted in ahywhere. It's not available at any Canadian online retailers yet, either. If you're in TO and have found a copy, lemme know where you got it!

I was hoping to pick up this game at TRU, having returned Madden 08 from the B2G1 sale, but they may never get that shit in stock. Decided to pick it up at Gamestop. Anyway, game is crazy awesome. I picked up the GOTY guide as well, so I had some idea of the kind of character I wanted to create.

Anyone know if you can install the content using the GOTY edition, but still be able to play it using the old edition? (Like the XBOX 360)

Shizzletits! I pulled the trigger on the regular version. If I really like it that much, I'll figure out a way to get the extra content.

[quote name='kinnysama']Anyone know if you can install the content using the GOTY edition, but still be able to play it using the old edition? (Like the XBOX 360)[/quote]

Good question.

[quote name='cochesecochese']Shizzletits! I pulled the trigger on the regular version. If I really like it that much, I'll figure out a way to get the extra content.
[/QUOTE]

I think the sheer volume of content on the Oblivion + Knights of the 9 version for the PS3 will keep you occupied until they iron out the "Expansion disc" or DLC via PSN decisions Bethesda's been working on of late.

It's a vast world. I absolutely love it. It isn't perfect in a few little areas, but for a game of this size and scope, good gravy it's a hoot!
:)

[quote name='cochesecochese']Shizzletits! I pulled the trigger on the regular version. If I really like it that much, I'll figure out a way to get the extra content.
[/quote]
Right there with you. Saw a copy of the regular version at a price I couldn't deny, and started playing it last night. Having only played JRPGs up until this point, I've gotta say, I'm loving this... I don't think I'll ever being able to go back. Looks like Final Fantasy XII won't be getting much more play.

So, starting from scratch (I was a 360 player before) I made an all magic High Elf.

He mostly uses destruction and conjuration spells, and I'm also working on his speed.

I started off with the mages guild which is giving me a little bit of trouble since I'm weak to magic attacks.

Got my normal oblivion today, so far i notice the load times are better but haven't gotten far enough into the game for real comparisons to the 360 version. (3 minutes in the game ) :)

[quote name='panasonic']Got my normal oblivion today, so far i notice the load times are better but haven't gotten far enough into the game for real comparisons to the 360 version. (3 minutes in the game ) :)[/quote]

The load time decrease is a big deal in my book since any time you open a door it loads. Additionally, the draw distance is much better on the PS3 so you can look for things by actually seeing them.

Double Sweet!

Looks like we're getting the Shivering Isles after all. I'm sure there'll be whining about it being on a second disc but I'm psyched for it. Somehow it's easier for me to stomach two $30 purchases than a single $60 shot in the arm.

So, I finally got around to playing this game. Are there some parts that are just brutal? I'm level 9 and just cleared the first Oblivion gate....I am having a really hard time clearing out the castle afterwards. All of my dudes died on the first wave of demons and I've been on my own all the rest of the way.

I'm an assassin and having a really hard time carrying enough arrows to fight a frontal assault. Is there something I'm missing?

[quote name='cochesecochese']So, I finally got around to playing this game. Are there some parts that are just brutal? I'm level 9 and just cleared the first Oblivion gate....I am having a really hard time clearing out the castle afterwards. All of my dudes died on the first wave of demons and I've been on my own all the rest of the way.

I'm an assassin and having a really hard time carrying enough arrows to fight a frontal assault. Is there something I'm missing?[/quote]
WTF? I cleared the gate as well and am in the castle and I SWEAR I'm only level 1. How the hell did you level that much before the first gate?

bread's done
Back