Oblivion, how long do you need to play before you know if it's for you or not?

sarausagi

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
Well, I finally decided to take Oblivion out and start playing it: of course, this is one of those HUGE games everyone seems to love so I always go into these as a skeptic

I haven't played much, I spent about 20 minutes creating a character and about half an hour playing [not counting the cut scenes]

I am just about at the end of the "tutorial dungeon" and so far I'm not into it very much.

My main complaint so far is that I spent 20 minutes making a pretty decent looking character and I can't see it unless I die.

Do I need to give it a few more hours? Or is this one of those games where if you're not totally blown away and "oh yeah" the first hour, it's just not for you?

Just leave the sewars, walk around for a bit, and go to some of the random towns on the map. If you're not wow-ed by then you should probably quit.

I'm pretty sure you can get it to be 3rd person, at least you could in the PS3 version.

On the PS3 version it went 3rd person by pushing the R3 button...maybe its something similar with the 360?

And I wasn't liking it very much either at the beginning. I started getting into it though once I got to the first gate of Oblivion.

[quote name='whoknows']I'm pretty sure you can get it to be 3rd person, at least you could in the PS3 version.

On the PS3 version it went 3rd person by pushing the R3 button...maybe its something similar with the 360?

And I wasn't liking it very much either at the beginning. I started getting into it though once I got to the first gate of Oblivion.[/QUOTE]

I read about this and heard it was really slow to fight in third person? i don't know how to activate it on 360

I am going to play it until I get into the actual world map. This is quite different, I've played RPG's, and strategy RPG's, and action RPG's, but it certainly is a completely different style of RPG's....more like Dungeons and Dragons.

It's amazing once you get out of the sewers. It's like the Lord of the Rings movies times 1,000.... You can go anywhere, do anything, and there is a near limitless number of quests.

As far as the 3rd person view goes, click the right thumbstick/R3. It's not too slow in my opinion.

[quote name='sarausagi']I read about this and heard it was really slow to fight in third person? i don't know how to activate it on 360

I am going to play it until I get into the actual world map. This is quite different, I've played RPG's, and strategy RPG's, and action RPG's, but it certainly is a completely different style of RPG's....more like Dungeons and Dragons.[/QUOTE]

I thought the fighting was the same in 3rd person that is was in 1st only difference is you actually saw the person. I could be wrong though.

And the beginning of the game is pretty slow, much better once you get out and start doing missions.

[quote name='AshesofWake']you need to leave the damn sewer[/QUOTE]

Really have not played much, but you do need to leave the sewer before you make judgement. It really is an amazing game.

I just have a personal reason for not really getting into it. Something bad happened to me when I started playing it.

I plan on trying it again someday.

[quote name='sarausagi']I read about this and heard it was really slow to fight in third person? i don't know how to activate it on 360

I am going to play it until I get into the actual world map. This is quite different, I've played RPG's, and strategy RPG's, and action RPG's, but it certainly is a completely different style of RPG's....more like Dungeons and Dragons.[/quote]

Just get past the sewers, and you'll be able to judge fairly. Give it at least a few hrs after getting out, you have a whole countryside to explore.

I don't know... I started playing it for the second time and I'm out of the sewers and I went up a hill to some town that's on fire. There are these demons shooting fireballs at me and I'm like "whatever bitches" as I mash them with my sword. I don't think I'm having fun but I don't want to give up because so many people get so much out of this game...

I was floored by the game just watching the intro vid after loading it up.

So yeah, I didn't even have to start playing it before I knew it was for me.

I knew it was a game I would like when I first started it. The sewer level was great fun. Learning the attacks and shit and messing with the arrows. Plus the booby traps were great.

I also spend about 1 Hour making my charcter and I could careless if I ever seen what he looked like because I already knew.

[quote name='javeryh']I don't know... I started playing it for the second time and I'm out of the sewers and I went up a hill to some town that's on fire. There are these demons shooting fireballs at me and I'm like "whatever bitches" as I mash them with my sword. I don't think I'm having fun but I don't want to give up because so many people get so much out of this game...[/QUOTE]

It's not for everybody (what game is?), but if you're at the first Oblivion gate and aren't into it by the time you close it then you've probably given it enough time.

But definitely go spelunking in some of the caves and do a few quests before passing judgement.

Me, I love sneaking up on some SOB in a dark cave with my badass Wood Elf Thief self and popping a quiver of arrows in his ass before he even notices what the hell hit him! It never gets old, haha..

[quote name='keithp']It's not for everybody (what game is?), but if you're at the first Oblivion gate and aren't into it by the time you close it then you've probably given it enough time.

But definitely go spelunking in some of the caves and do a few quests before passing judgement.

Me, I love sneaking up on some SOB in a dark cave with my badass Wood Elf Thief self and popping a quiver of arrows in his ass before he even notices what the hell hit him! It never gets old, haha..[/QUOTE]

Yeaaaaaah. I did that stuff. Never got into it. Probably put around 17 hrs into it too. I totally thought this game was gonna be perfect for me. I love FPS, and the first-person view was a plus. And I'm an absolute whore for games where customization of a character is key (Can't tell you how many hours my friends and I wasted on both Champions of Norrath games). But man......I just couldn't get into it. I thought the combat was really clunky, and really, the game felt boring and aimless...I only stayed on the main quest because the other side quests seemed fruitless at the time, and the reasoning to go on these side quests seemed unclear; what was my reward???

Definately get out of the sewers. It gets a lot better after that point. I loved the game within 10 minutes of getting out of the sewers.

last June -- I bought oblivion and decided it was too boring and it froze up my system a lot, plus a bad framerate.

around August/September -- bought it again as part of B2G1 for EB (or maybe it was really cheap at a pawnshop or something...) decided it was too boring, froze too much and had a crappy framerate, and sold it.

a few weeks ago-- bought it a 3rd time and I have 40 hours logged (this includes leaving the system on with rubber bands on my controller to up my athletics skill) I'm absolutely hooked and feel like I never need another RPG...can't play FFXII any more without thinking "I could be doing all this and more in Oblivion..." :lol:

so my answer-- I don't know how long it'll take, but once you really give it a chance and realize how much there is to do, you'll get hooked. Definitely get out of the sewers, find some good weapons, and run around doing whatever you want for a few hours before questing. Can't say if you'll get into it or not--I put in 20 hours between the first two times I owned it and still didn't like it but now it's becoming one of my all-time favorites *shrug*

I say play the main quest up until after you finish the mission with the destroyed city. After that, forget the main quest and head out to join a guild (preferably something other than mages and fighters guild since those initially are a bore and hard to start)... the dark brotherhood is a good place to start I guess.

Hmm... well, I played Morrowind a good bit on original Xbox. It took me about three different tries as far as renting it and hating it, borrowing it and hating, then finally buying it and liking it a good bit. But, I bought Oblivion with the same expectations of really liking it... not so much. I tried to force myself to like it. It didn't work. I know the map travel works, but that's no fun when the world is so vast and there's so much in it... I walked. I just don't like it when it takes 30 minutes to walk from town to town. So I couldn't be happy in the travel department.

I got almost all the way through the first Oblivion gate, then just quit playing it one day and never went back. Plus, it would freeze up my system after about 20 minutes or so every time I turned it on.

Plus, EB wouldn't take it back (even though they sold me a fairly scratched copy) because the manager claimed they never accept returns on used items, ever. He was a dick through and through. Overall, my whole Oblivion experience was not a good one. Good luck though, maybe you'll end up liking it!

I've played Oblivion over 40 hours and still haven't done the very first task. I do side quests and level up.

[quote name='pimpinc333']Yea. Go right away and do the Dark Brotherhood Guild. Sooo Good.[/quote]

After I killed my first civilian and went to sleep, the leader came to me. I thought he was wearing a pretty pimp robe and I wanted it, so I killed him. Completely took the Dark Brotherhood missions away, but damn, wearing that robe rocked.

[quote name='Scorch']I've played Oblivion over 40 hours and still haven't done the very first task. I do side quests and level up.

After I killed my first civilian and went to sleep, the leader came to me. I thought he was wearing a pretty pimp robe and I wanted it, so I killed him. Completely took the Dark Brotherhood missions away, but damn, wearing that robe rocked.[/QUOTE]

O Snap. I didn't know he could be killed. Damn the Dark Brotherhood Story line is by far the best in the game.

[quote name='Scorch']After I killed my first civilian and went to sleep, the leader came to me. I thought he was wearing a pretty pimp robe and I wanted it, so I killed him. Completely took the Dark Brotherhood missions away, but damn, wearing that robe rocked.[/QUOTE]
There were more robes where that came from, if you hadn't have killed him.

Will there be any good looking girls I can kill for dresses?

I think I could spend a few hours just designing characters, simply because it's a challenge to take a female base from ugly to HOT

One question though, the age bar, what is it based on? Is it based on 0 to 100 with half way being 50 years old and a fifth being 20

or does it go from say..12 years old to 70 years old..or something....I just want to know where to put the bar if for example I want a 19 year old character or a 41 year old character

This is definitely one of those "not for everyone" games. I've been RPGing since Chrono Trigger and Oblivion was my first attempt at a Western RPG. I've left the sewers a short while ago and all I have to say is everything about the game is so damn overwhelming. Even deciding on my character's attributes, class, looks, etc. was a big task for me.

Final Fantasy spoon feeds you an epic story while this game it seems like you are truly roleplaying as a character making the story as you go along. I'm only about 2 hours into the game, but so far I think I am blown away by the technical achievements of the game more so than actually having fun.

[quote name='Kendro']This is definitely one of those "not for everyone" games. I've been RPGing since Chrono Trigger and Oblivion was my first attempt at a Western RPG. I've left the sewers a short while ago and all I have to say is everything about the game is so damn overwhelming. Even deciding on my character's attributes, class, looks, etc. was a big task for me.

Final Fantasy spoon feeds you an epic story while this game it seems like you are truly roleplaying as a character making the story as you go along. I'm only about 2 hours into the game, but so far I think I am blown away by the technical achievements of the game more so than actually having fun.[/QUOTE]

Hmmm to me FFXII was a bit overwhelming by the License Grid. Too many choices on weapons and armor. I liked the FFX Sphere Grid.

Now Morrowind was very very very overwhelming. TESO was pretty simple for a Moderate RPG Fan like myself.

I am going to play it until I get into the actual world map. This is quite different, I've played RPG's, and strategy RPG's, and action RPG's, but it certainly is a completely different style of RPG's....more like Dungeons and Dragons.[/QUOTE]

click down the left stick to switch in and out of 3rd person and first person. And like everyone else said. get out of the sewers first. You haven't even seen nothing yet. Once you exit the sewers and realize you have this whole massive free roaming world at your fingertips, you get sucked in.

word of advice, don't get kicked out of the fighters guild. Unless you feel like going out and collecting 30 bear pelts for them to let you back in. It's ridiculous.

Oh and don't turn into a vampire, sounds cool at first, but it ruined the whole game for me. With the new expansion out though I have been slowly working my way towards curing myself from it.

[quote name='pimpinc333']Yea. Go right away and do the Dark Brotherhood Guild. Sooo Good.[/QUOTE]
Have yet to do that. I need to get back on Oblivion now that the graphics patch is out.

Jesus, this game is amazing. All the quests are masterpieces. Just the other day I

Went to find a poor woman's lost husband, who had a gambling problem and went into debt. I went to speak with the orc who he was in debt to, who told me he'd "remember" where the husband was if I went to this abandoned castle and got him some treasure.

When I arrive there, he's being held captive, and must go through a maze full of hunters. The hunters are there because they have payed the orc to hunt humans for sport.

I go in there and do some stealth shit on the hunter's ass, dodge booby traps and find a key out. When I get out there's the Orc. He kills the husband and attacks me. I battle him to the death, along with an elf friend of his.

Seriously, this shit might not sound as awesome when I explain it, but it's really straight out of a fucking book. It's absolutely amazing.

[quote name='PyroGamer']Have yet to do that. I need to get back on Oblivion now that the graphics patch is out.

Jesus, this game is amazing. All the quests are masterpieces. Just the other day I

Went to find a poor woman's lost husband, who had a gambling problem and went into debt. I went to speak with the orc who he was in debt to, who told me he'd "remember" where the husband was if I went to this abandoned castle and got him some treasure.

When I arrive there, he's being held captive, and must go through a maze full of hunters. The hunters are there because they have payed the orc to hunt humans for sport.

I go in there and do some stealth shit on the hunter's ass, dodge booby traps and find a key out. When I get out there's the Orc. He kills the husband and attacks me. I battle him to the death, along with an elf friend of his.

Seriously, this shit might not sound as awesome when I explain it, but it's really straight out of a fucking book. It's absolutely amazing.[/QUOTE]

Yea I stumbled on that quest last month once I restarted to play TESO again. Awesome Stuff.

[quote name='pimpinc333']Yea. Go right away and do the Dark Brotherhood Guild. Sooo Good.[/QUOTE]
those missions are fun.
i had about 24 hours logged on my second day of playing. put over 60 the first 5 days.
i turned it on after i bought spent a coupel hours making my character and gettign out of the sewers and wasnt sold on the game.
picked it back up and its cemented its place amongst my all time favorites.

go do some missions and look into leveling.
you really need to figure out what way you wan tto play the gme, dont try and conform yoruself to the game. i think thats the real key.
good luck.

[quote name='Brak']There were more robes where that came from, if you hadn't have killed him.[/quote]

I found two wizards in a castle chopping people up and shit and I killed them and took their robe, it was solid black with a red skull on it. It was cool.

Plus my guy's a thief, not a fighter, so the black robe fits.

What kind of irritates me is that you can't change your class/skills mid-game. It'd be nice if there was a quest or something because I ALWAYS restart my character after 20 or so hours. There's always some little thing that I don't like. I'll start feeling like the stats I made are just not good enough or that I want to start using axes/bows/conjures. lol. Then I start over thinking that THIS MIGHT BE THE ONE!! And I'm like a perfectionist. I try to do all the quests so when it's time to start over, it's really a pain.

[quote name='strdr4']What kind of irritates me is that you can't change your class/skills mid-game. It'd be nice if there was a quest or something because I ALWAYS restart my character after 20 or so hours. There's always some little thing that I don't like. I'll start feeling like the stats I made are just not good enough or that I want to start using axes/bows/conjures. lol. Then I start over thinking that THIS MIGHT BE THE ONE!! And I'm like a perfectionist. I try to do all the quests so when it's time to start over, it's really a pain.[/QUOTE]

Major skills level faster so I guess they didn't do it so that the game wouldn't be too easy.

As for myself, I've logged in almost 50 hours and have not done a story mission other than close the first oblivion gate. Still working on guilds and such.

I played Oblivion on the PC and couldn't get into it much. I don't know why it clicked when I played it on the 360 though. You definitely have to do some side missions and start exploring when you get outside of the sewers to get a feel for the game.

I spent 80 hours on my first Oblivion character, doing the main quest, fighters guild, mages guild, and the Arena. I created a new character earlier this month and I'm more then 30 hours in, having finished the mages guild and fighters guild, and I'm currently going through the dark brotherhood. I haven't even touched the main quest (I still haven't seen Jaufre yet) or the Theives Guild, and I just downloaded the expansion the other day, though I haven't played started it yet.

If your not feeling it after 5-8 hours of gameplay then its not for you.

I own it, but never got in to it cause nowadays I can't sit still for long anymore.

The final Thieves' Guild mission is one of my favorite game experiences ever. Not to mention the fact that the reward for completion of the Thieves' Guild line is arguably the most useful item in the game (for lawbreakers, at least).

Summary: Check out the Thieves' Guild.

[quote name='PyroGamer']Have yet to do that. I need to get back on Oblivion now that the graphics patch is out.

Seriously, this shit might not sound as awesome when I explain it, but it's really straight out of a fucking book. It's absolutely amazing.[/QUOTE]

that quest is pretty awesome. I'm at level 100 at sneaking so I was the one doing the hunting down there. stealth killed almost all of them and even got a stealth hit on the final orc :lol:

[quote name='CitizenB']If your not feeling it after 5-8 hours of gameplay then its not for you.

I own it, but never got in to it cause nowadays I can't sit still for long anymore.[/QUOTE]

I don't understand, huh? You can play this game in shorter bursts, I do it all the time. Although once you get hooked you may not WANT to! LOL.

[quote name='keithp']I don't understand, huh? You can play this game in shorter bursts, I do it all the time. Although once you get hooked you may not WANT to! LOL.[/QUOTE]

Well this is the type of game that if you don't play in 4 hour stretches you don't get to much accomplished. Playing for 20-30 mins here or there only lets you get a chance to do the small things.

[quote name='CitizenB']Well this is the type of game that if you don't play in 4 hour stretches you don't get to much accomplished. Playing for 20-30 mins here or there only lets you get a chance to do the small things.[/quote]
Wow, I gotta disagree with this. I have been playing it in short bursts and still feel like I'm making progress. It took me about 4 settings to close the first Oblivion gate.

[quote name='CrimsonPaw']Wow, I gotta disagree with this. I have been playing it in short bursts and still feel like I'm making progress. It took me about 4 settings to close the first Oblivion gate.[/QUOTE]

I agree. The save system works out so that I don't have to spend hours and hours in one sitting playing the game. It just so happens that the game is compelling enough so that I sit for hours on end.

[quote name='CrimsonPaw']Wow, I gotta disagree with this. I have been playing it in short bursts and still feel like I'm making progress. It took me about 4 settings to close the first Oblivion gate.[/QUOTE]

Maybe its me then. It might because the game has so much to do I just feel overwhelmed.

The one thing I hate about this game is the ability to always adjust the difficulty from the pause menu. If I get in a situation that I get my ass kicked 3 or 4 times, it's just too tempting to go turn the difficulty all the way down and kill enemies in one hit. And then I feel like I cheated and the game is not a challenge.

OP, I've never really understood the whole 'vanity' thing in games like this. I have never understood why creating a character that is fun to look at makes the game itself so much more fun. But, even if I don't understand it, press R3 and get excited.

Did that last patch up performance at all?

[quote name='sarausagi']Well, I finally decided to take Oblivion out and start playing it: of course, this is one of those HUGE games everyone seems to love so I always go into these as a skeptic

I haven't played much, I spent about 20 minutes creating a character and about half an hour playing [not counting the cut scenes]

I am just about at the end of the "tutorial dungeon" and so far I'm not into it very much.

My main complaint so far is that I spent 20 minutes making a pretty decent looking character and I can't see it unless I die.

Do I need to give it a few more hours? Or is this one of those games where if you're not totally blown away and "oh yeah" the first hour, it's just not for you?[/quote]

You know i was thinking the same thing but i kept playing cuz i loved Morrowind and i was hell bent on Oblivion living up to my expectations and as soon as you step outside (and if its daylight) i fell in love right away.

and yes put some time into it to evolve your Character ,develop him/her it gets alot more fun i have done everything the STOCK game has to offer and i do not regret putting atleast 50 hours of my life into it.

i'm in the same exact boat as you, OP

when i first got my 360, everyone was telling me to get oblivion, but i'm not that big on RPG's (only some of them i guess) or games this massive...then i read a review that oblivion is fun, even for those who don't play RPG's..

so, i got oblivion in a trade about a week ago, took about 15 mins making a character and about 40 mins playing in the sewer/dungeon area...so far it's been okay...it's pretty cool that you can assign your skills and weapons and such to the dpad

i made my guy the sneaky/stealthy lion/tiger guy...dunno how that would work out, but i hate using the sterotypical big, burly hack-n-slash guy in these types of games, so i chose the sneaky thief tiger guy

i'll be playing a little bit more in the next week and i guess i'll decide then if it's for me

bread's done
Back