Oblivion or Fallout 3

I haven't played Oblivion but played Marrowind for xbox... I like Fallout 3 MUCH better. :p

Some refer to Fallout 3 as "Oblivion with guns" so just keep that in mind. If you like guns then get Fallout 3

Fallout 3 was a lot of fun, but I didn't really find any replay value (except blowing up a nuclear bomb over and over again - sry if people feel this is a spoiler, but you find out about this mission really early in the game). Haven't played oblivion, but I know a few people who have replayed it quite a few times.

fallout 3 was great imo. my favorite this gen. id say get fallout 3 GOTY edition. i didnt really care much for oblivion but i plan on giving it a second chance down the road

Fallout 3 is awesome. The VATS mode makes killing super mutants an invigorating experience and a smashing good time.

I'm going to try and start Oblivion again after I finish Demon's Souls.

Would you rather a) kill orcs and demons OR would you rather b) kill super mutants and mutated animal freak things?

Would you rather a) use swords and spells OR would you rather b) use guns and grenades?

Would you rather play in a) a colorful, lively setting OR would you rather play in b) a dreary post apoctalyptic setting?

If you answered (a) to most of those, pick up Oblivion. If you answered (b) to most of those, pick up Fallout 3.

If you have a redicoulous amount of time on your hands, pick up both of them.

I full completed both, and I would recommend Fallout over Oblivion. I loved them both, and would really recommend you play both if you're a fan of open world RPGs, but Fallout was a more polished, exciting experience.

imo oblivion>fallout. i just couldnt get into fallout and the FPS just wasnt working for me. Also I couldnt help but feel the game was slow (pacing and your movement). I stopped playing after 10 hours, but put in over 100 in oblivion. For me if I wanted to play FPS I would play CoD or something like that.

Fallout was far and away my favorite game of the past two years and, quite frankly, has yet to be dethroned. I finally sat down and played through Oblivion for the first time the other day, and I enjoyed it quite a bit but it didn't suck me in like Fallout did; I never felt compelled to finish anything. Oblivion's main quest seemed incredibly short, too. I finished it in about 7 hours, and that includes time spent getting lost, doing side-quests, dying or otherwise just messing around. Fallout took me 24 hours for the main quest, but, then again, I really have no idea if that's a good or bad time.

One thing I hated in both of them is there
are no real boss battles, and I found Oblivion to be a tad anti-climactic. They both get the story done, but there's still a moment of "that was it?"

I do like that all of Oblivion's achievements are for completing quests and not stupid, mundane crap you'll never do ever, like Fallout's ridiculous Nukka-Cola Challenge. It looks like it'll be the first game I'll 1000/1000, but I have to buy The Shivering Isles first. :bomb:

Also, Oblivion doesn't have a gun that fires railroad spikes.

I would highly recommend Fallout over Oblivion. I felt Oblivion was a rather tedious boring experience. Sorry if I offend, just my opinion :)

[quote name='antlp89']Would you rather a) kill orcs and demons OR would you rather b) kill super mutants and mutated animal freak things?

Would you rather a) use swords and spells OR would you rather b) use guns and grenades?

Would you rather play in a) a colorful, lively setting OR would you rather play in b) a dreary post apoctalyptic setting?

If you answered (a) to most of those, pick up Oblivion. If you answered (b) to most of those, pick up Fallout 3.

If you have a redicoulous amount of time on your hands, pick up both of them.[/QUOTE]

I didn't think Oblivion was colorful and lively.... Eternal Sonata and the Tales games, sure. Oblivion? Na.

I think a lot of it comes down to what kind of setting you prefer. Many find Fallout's wasteland depressing and oppressive, but there is more crazy/wacky stuff, like the weapons and some random stuff you can find while roaming the wastes. I find that oblivion is really pretty game that i enjoy spending time in. I also felt Oblivion was a tad more open ended feeling, but honestly, I loved both games.

As for Oblivion's main quest being too short, I would agree, but the fact of the matter is that what makes Oblivion great is the guild quests. Those are where its at.

I say get Oblivion goty for 20 bucks and wait for fallout GOTY to to its eventual price drop to 30 and get both. They are both absolutely wonderful.

I loved Fallout 3, one of my favorite games of all times. I tried playing Oblivion after beating Fallout 3 and it wasn't entertaining. Fallout 3 was incredibly immersing while Oblivion was very boring.

Fallout 3 with all the DLC trumps Oblivion in my book. The DLC added a ton that was missing in the initial game ... the difficulty is higher, there's a greater diversity of enemies, and you even get some nice, new places to explore (The Pitt being cool but Point Lookout being just ... exceptional ... as far as DLC goes).

Now with that said, if you like your games to be more colorful and uplifting ... you might want to stick with Oblivion. To me personally, it feels a bit too dated now and I'm also a huge Fallout fan, but I suppose it's better if you want that sword and sorcery feel. With that said ... the enemies in Fallout are more fun to fight and bigger too ... there are a couple that I'm pretty sure are much bigger than anything you will fight in Oblivion.

Oblivion would probably be my favorite game ever, except I HATE the leveling system. If you're not extremely meticulous about which skills you increase, you will actually get weaker as you level up. For that reason, I greatly prefer Fallout 3.

If you plan on paying them both, get oblivion first.
Once you play fallout, oblivion will seem a bit clunky and not as fun. Since Oblivion is still very fun and you can get goty edition for $20 i would say get it first, get your crazy 20-500 hours depending on how much you like it, then get fallout goty for like $30, and you will finish it just in time for Fallout Vegas :D Fallout is by far superior and 90% will have more fun with it, but dont count out oblivion because it has some quality fun (Assassins and thief guild were my favorite, nothing like becoming super sneaky by stealing stuff then using new found ninja to x6 crit stab someone in full armor and take them out).
Only bad thing is if you like them both, they could make you backlog a lot of stuff. but that's not really to bad.

If you're buying for PC, I'd say get both. They are both great games but Fallout 3 is better out of the box. With mods, however, Oblivion is amazing--better even than Fallout 3.

With either game, could you use the regular version of the game with the DLC disc from the GOTY version?

Though, I think I going to take the suggestion of playing both, Oblivion first.

Thank you all for the great advice.

Late to this thread, but I personally preferred the lush environments of Oblivion over the barren wasteland of Fallout. Not sure why, but I couldn't get into the weapons of Fallout either. I'm sure I'm one of the few that feel this way though ... truth be told though, you could probably get both for about $40, especially with the Amazon deal going on (is Fallout Platinum hits yet?)

[quote name='CrimsonPaw']Late to this thread, but I personally preferred the lush environments of Oblivion over the barren wasteland of Fallout. Not sure why, but I couldn't get into the weapons of Fallout either. I'm sure I'm one of the few that feel this way though ... truth be told though, you could probably get both for about $40, especially with the Amazon deal going on (is Fallout Platinum hits yet?)[/QUOTE]

I agree. I loved Oblivion to death, but thought Fallout 3 was extremely boring.

I'd recommend Fallout 3 over Oblivion. I just enjoyed it more. Also, if it matters at all, on :ps3:Fallout 3 has trophies, whereas Oblivion does not.

I got Oblivion after people like Wombat said how great it was and couldn't really get into the whole thing but when I got Fallout I immediately loved it and played through more than once.
I definitely want to give O another try since its "Fallout with swords". Maybe it will be more fun after getting a feel for the type of game and character development.

[quote name='CrimsonPaw']Late to this thread, but I personally preferred the lush environments of Oblivion over the barren wasteland of Fallout. Not sure why, but I couldn't get into the weapons of Fallout either. I'm sure I'm one of the few that feel this way though ... truth be told though, you could probably get both for about $40, especially with the Amazon deal going on (is Fallout Platinum hits yet?)[/QUOTE]

Okay so half the people here haven't even played Oblivion. I've played both (Oblivion first) and I have to say that Oblivion is far superior. I don't know what that one guy was talking about when he said that it wasn't colorful. It probably has one of the BEST open world layouts of any game I've ever played. The landscape feels alive and you at times will see deer and encounter other wild animals in the wilderness. The spells were the best part of Oblivion for me. I liked all the city's in Oblivion whereas in Fallout 3 they just seemed sorta half-assed.

Fallout 3 I thought mimicked Oblivion too much. Whereas Oblivion has a bright vibrant world, the world of Fallout 3 is pretty bland. It is a wasteland that has few interesting points of interest. The shooting in the game sucks and you have to rely on VATS to kill any and every opponent you come up against. I mean it was interesting for the first 5-10 hours but then using it over and over again got boring.

Just go with Oblivion if you have limited amounts of time/money. But if you can I would play both. Oblivion first of course:D

[quote name='skateraXVIII']Okay so half the people here haven't even played Oblivion. I've played both (Oblivion first) and I have to say that Oblivion is far superior.
[/QUOTE]

How do you deal with the leveling problem? Turn down the difficulty? Efficient leveling? I followed efficient leveling up to level 8, which was when I finished the main quest line, but I haven't touched the game since because it got way too restrictive managing skill increases. I want to just PLAY the game without having to worry about over-leveling or wasting skill points. What's the answer? Do I just need to stop being so anal? Help me, I really want to enjoy this game again.

[quote name='Squall835']I agree. I loved Oblivion to death, but thought Fallout 3 was extremely boring.[/QUOTE]

Strange, this is the exact opposite of how I feel.

I haven't played a game as much as I've played Fallout 3 since the PS2 days. Fallout 3 is the most captivating game of this generation so far in my humble opinion.

Oblivion just couldn't hook me. I've rented it twice and just recently bought the GOTY Edition because I wanted to give it a fair shot and found it for really cheap. I just can't get into it at all. I haven't made it too far into the story, so I don't know if that has anything to do with it, but I don't like the combat at all, and I don't think that will change, to be honest.

Personally, I prefer Fallout 3. I played oblivion for the pc at a friends and thought it was great, but Fallout 3 just stood out to me more.

[quote name='BIG5']How do you deal with the leveling problem? Turn down the difficulty? Efficient leveling? I followed efficient leveling up to level 8, which was when I finished the main quest line, but I haven't touched the game since because it got way too restrictive managing skill increases. I want to just PLAY the game without having to worry about over-leveling or wasting skill points. What's the answer? Do I just need to stop being so anal? Help me, I really want to enjoy this game again.[/QUOTE]

I haven't played Oblivion in quite a while but as I remember I didn't really have any problems with the leveling. I just distributed the points equally to each attribute every time I did level up. Some of the accessories/clothing you wear can also help out your points in sneaking, striking, magic, etc.

Also I would do two things at once, for instance I would jump and cast a spell (illusion, summoning, etc.) over and over and over again until I eventually leveled up. The reason I jump over and over again is because if you swim, jump, etc. enough your acrobatics skill would level up. I know that sounds stupid and it's sort of hard to explain but it works.

There are also certain people in the game that can train you, which is essentially you paying to level up.

Also if you read certain books in Oblivion you will level up an attribute, sorta like Fallout 3 does.

I got every single achievement in Oblivion, Knights of the Nine, and all achievements except 1 in Shivering Isles. I think I played for about 200+ hours.

[quote name='skateraXVIII']I haven't played Oblivion in quite a while but as I remember I didn't really have any problems with the leveling. I just distributed the points equally to each attribute every time I did level up. Some of the accessories/clothing you wear can also help out your points in sneaking, striking, magic, etc.

Also I would do two things at once, for instance I would jump and cast a spell (illusion, summoning, etc.) over and over and over again until I eventually leveled up. The reason I jump over and over again is because if you swim, jump, etc. enough your acrobatics skill would level up. I know that sounds stupid and it's sort of hard to explain but it works.

There are also certain people in the game that can train you, which is essentially you paying to level up.

Also if you read certain books in Oblivion you will level up an attribute, sorta like Fallout 3 does.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but if you play that way without maximizing your stat increases at each level (such as +5 to 3 stats) you actually get weaker compared to enemies because they scale to your level. I don't know, maybe it isn't that much of a problem after all. I never tried playing that way, so maybe I'm just making things more difficult on myself.

[quote name='BIG5']Oblivion would probably be my favorite game ever, except I HATE the leveling system. If you're not extremely meticulous about which skills you increase, you will actually get weaker as you level up. For that reason, I greatly prefer Fallout 3.[/QUOTE]

This.

It's why I'm waiting for an Elder Scrolls V without the strong auto-adjusting monster strength. (And hoopefully a VAT-ish mode.) One amazon review actually suggested not leveling up in the Elder Scrolls to stay strong.

I played some of both. I couldn't get into either. These open end RPG's got me walking around killing things and stealing stuff from people. I get lost in trying to level up or gain items early. If I had to choose which one to finish, it would be Oblivion, this is because I watched Fallout 3 get beaten from beginning to end in front of my eyes. Fallout 3's world is too empty IMO, yea, I understand it's setting but I don't want to walk for 10 mins seeing absolutely nothing. In Oblivion at least there's an environment to look at.

From the people I know that beat them, you can't go wrong with either.
Personally, I like swords and magic in my RPG's and guns in my FPS's.
I will give Fallout New Vegas a chance though, because I play every game that has a Vegas setting.

Fallout 3 is more fun and has better story than Oblivion, but if you are more onto fantasy magics and sword combats than shooting Oblivion is your choice.

I prefer the Sidequests in Oblivion. The Assassin's guild was very fun. I prefer the buildings in Fallout, but the combat quickly got boring because the only effective way to fight was by using guns. You could use melee, but it makes it much harder. I preferred the equipment in Oblivion because almost several NPCs had an exclusive set of armor that could only be obtain by killing them or stealing it.

bread's done
Back