Oblivion

alivetilldawn

CAGiversary!
Just started the goty edition, can't say I enjoy it at all, but I hated the first 5 hours or so of Fallout 3. Is this a similar situation, or should I just goozex this thing?

I'm a bit curious about this since I haven't played it. However, it gets good marks from the posters here.

What don't you like about it?

Give it at least 7 hours. I couldn't get into it much either, then I really thought about what type of character I wanted (focussed on range attacks with the bow but could use medium magic and light swords) and made that. After that I fell in love with the game; I'd go back to my 65+ hour save if I didn't have such a back catalog.

My advice is just that, make a character you like and give it about 6 - 7 hours.

Start with a close combat character, sword & shield works or something like that to help you get into it. Ranged attacks with a bow is tough cause aiming is pretty bad in this game, mages are fun too but take a bit more work. The story isn't the best but it's fun if you can find a couple of the bigger towns and start the guild quests (Fighters, Thieves, Mages). The Dark Brotherhood or whatever it was called is the best though. :)

I've got this and Fallout3 sitting in my backlog, and I'm afraid to start either of them based off these "give it 5-7 hours" comments.

I got the same game; I bought the $25 strategy guide and I still can't get into it.

I hate the leveling. Instead of like the typical RPG, the enemies level up the same as you, so you can't just grind for an hour or so and kick some butt.

I put about 3-4 hours into it before stopping due to summer sessions classes. Based on what I've seen, the game does look like it can be pretty enjoyable to an RPG fan. The thing is, even after the 3-4 hours, I was still figuring out how to kill off dungeon rats without being mauled.. so the the 6-7 hours sounds about right for one to get through the "training" and actually get to a bit of the meat of the game. I'm not really a big fan of WRPG's, but this looks like a game I'd actually put some time into.

I'll give it a little longer, bought it solely because of Fallout 3, and that even took at least 5 hours to get into. I've heard other complaints about the leveling system, that might kill it for me.

[quote name='mis0']The thing is, even after the 3-4 hours, I was still figuring out how to kill off dungeon rats without being mauled..[/QUOTE]
There's a difficulty setting on the pause menu. I didn't know this until like the 10th hour after getting killed by the crabs and rats multiple times.. Mine was set to the hardest somehow without even knowing the option was there.

Personally, I loved the game. Put 50+ hours into it on the 360 before I got the RROD, and really wouldn't do another playthrough without trophy support. Prefer it to Fallout 3 by a longshot though.

Why would you need to give a game 5-7 hours before it got "good?" I think, by that time, you're forcing yourself to like it because you've already invested so much time into it. I understand not judging a game based on its tutorial levels and so on but if those "tutorial" levels last the length of most games being released now, maybe you should try a different game.

[quote name='gettinmoney662']Why would you need to give a game 5-7 hours before it got "good?" I think, by that time, you're forcing yourself to like it because you've already invested so much time into it. I understand not judging a game based on its tutorial levels and so on but if those "tutorial" levels last the length of most games being released now, maybe you should try a different game.[/QUOTE]
The 5-7 hours is to start getting into mobs that are cool to deal with and start building up your stats to where you feel like you can actually do stuff. Not to mention the world is so huge that it'll take that time to start getting acclimated to the locations and the quest system.

It truly is not a game for everyone. The game is very, very open-ended. The main story can take most people 20-30 hours but the meat of the game is to just explore. You can build up your character, explore countless ruins, dungeons and cities. There is tons of hidden treasure and small quests all over the land.

The game also has a great back history built into that you can read about through the numerous books scattered around the game. You also have a strong replay value as you can play different types of characters and most likely won't even come close to finding everything there is to do.

bread's done
Back