Brütal Legend (360) - 150,000 units
Brütal Legend (PS3) - 66,000 units
DJ Hero (360) - 62,000 units
DJ Hero (PS3) - 39,000 units
DJ Hero (Wii) - 19,000 units
DJ Hero (PS2) - 3,300 units
PS3 - Borderlands - 113k
PC - Borderlands - 15k
PSP - GTA: Chinatown Wars - XXXX (4 digits)

Year over Year Change
PS2 -13.2%
PS3 +68.9%
PSP -9.3%
360 -32.6%
Wii -36.9%
NDS -6.7%

Year to Date 2009:
NDS - 6,175,400
Wii - 4,523,800
360 - 2,641,200
PS3 - 2,263,900
PSP - 1,547,300
PS2 - 1,263,600

Benchmark Comparisons (US):

PS2 - 24,882,000 (48-month mark) (Sep 2004)
PS2 - 19,010,000 (36-month mark) (Sep 2003)

Xbox - 10,060,402 (36-month mark) (Oct 2004)
Xbox - 12,865,000 (48-month mark) (Oct 2005)

GCN - 8,003,241 (36-month mark) (Oct 2004)
GCN - 11,372,000 (48-month mark) (Oct 2005)

360 - 16,599,600 (48 months) (Oct 2009)
360 - 11,662,400 (36 months) (Oct 2008)
PS3 - 9,054,800 (36 months) (Oct 2009)
Wii - 22,064,800 (36 months) (Oct 2009)

System: Average weeks ownership (Average purchase date)
Wii: 73.8 (June 2, 2008)
PS3: 74.2 (May 30, 2008)
X360: 99.5 (December 5, 2007)

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad to see the PS3's sales are still strong, and the momentum should carry it through the holiday season as there are no upcoming console exclusive titles that could drastically shift the current dynamics.

It looks like the Wii is back on top -- amazing what a $50 price cut will do.

And it seems that Uncharted 2 sucked up all the expendable money for PS3 owners.

Nice to see Uncharted 2 take the top spot, although I was hoping more PS3 owners would jump on board for such an exceptional game. Nice note DMK on Uncharted's sales comparison (as of January 09) with that of U2.

Also, great to see Borderlands sell nearly 1/2 million for a new IP (wonder how the PS3 version fared).

NBA 2K10 did surprisingly well. After all of EA's marketing and touting how much better Live 10 is, I wonder how much it sold because it looks like b-ball gamers didn't bite.

Wii being on top of the console race isn't surprising. Passing the DS for the month is, and so is the more than double the amount of sales.

Forza 3 sales aren't surprising, either. Some people thought it'd rival Uncharted, but I laughed then and I sure as hell am laughing now. Also, I think Month 1 sales in the US for Prologue were higher than Forza 3 (although I could be wrong). Borderlands doing good is nice, but PS3 owners must've gone with Uncharted instead.

No Ratchet isn't surprising (ToD bombed, remember?). Brutal Legend bombing is surprising. I expected at least 1 SKU of it to be there.

Anyone have Beatles: RB vs. GH5 numbers this month?

[quote name='KingBroly']Wii being on top of the console race isn't surprising. Passing the DS for the month is, and so is the more than double the amount of sales.

Forza 3 sales aren't surprising, either. Some people thought it'd rival Uncharted, but I laughed then and I sure as hell am laughing now. Also, I think Month 1 sales in the US for Prologue were higher than Forza 3 (although I could be wrong). Borderlands doing good is nice, but PS3 owners must've gone with Uncharted instead.

No Ratchet isn't surprising (ToD bombed, remember?). Brutal Legend bombing is surprising. I expected at least 1 SKU of it to be there.

Anyone have Beatles: RB vs. GH5 numbers this month?[/QUOTE]

The Ratchet series has legs. IIRC, Tools is at million or so now. Anyway, hope they'll give the lombax some time off. It's been the same formula for seven games in nine years. I call it a rehashed series.

Maybe it does. All I know is when I looked at NPD's 2 years ago, ToD sold about 45,000 copies in October. I personally think Tools of Destruction is better than Crack in Time.

But I definitely agree it's just the same game with a different setting every game.

[quote name='KingBroly']
[/QUOTE]

Forza was out for what, 4...days in October? 175k for such a short amount of time is not as bad as you're making it out to be.

Edit: The same with Ratchet and Clank. It came out October 27th...

I for one am completely stoked that Borderlands is a hit. It's the most fun I've had on the 360 so far and I can't wait to see where the franchise goes with DLC and (presumably) sequels.

[quote name='mtxbass1']Forza was out for what, 4...days in October? 175k for such a short amount of time is not as bad as you're making it out to be.

Edit: The same with Ratchet and Clank. It came out October 27th...[/QUOTE]

Some people thought Forza would do 400k+ in the amount of time it was out.

[quote name='daschrier']After all of the gloom and doom with the Wii and it still sells over twice the amount of the competition....[/QUOTE]

B-B-But no third party games!!!!

To be fair, Brutal Legend bombed and had a huge marketing campaign. Wii games like Dead Space Extraction, A Boy and His Blob, Muramasa didn't even get any television ads and bombed (most likely).

Regardless, this won't stop any doom and gloom. The media mostly hates it, most message board "gamers" hate it, etc. etc.

Borderlands did amazing.
PS3 is dominating, but things will be interesting with November's sales with the 360 gift card promo at Wal-Mart.

Muramasa at least did better than Dead Space. And they both had the same amount of marketing. And when it comes down to that, it's mainly the no name developer that makes out because the perception is they can't afford marketing for it, while the other one is sent to die.

Brutal Legend did about 215,000 units between the 360 & PS3. It was number 11 supposedly.

Forza 3 seems low at first, but it did only have 4 or 5 days to chart so that's actually a pretty solid number.

PSP sales seemed okay for a normal month, not for a new hardware launch month. PSP Gos will be in Target's clearance section by Spring. BOOK IT!:lol::lol::lol:

[quote name='Monsta Mack']Borderlands did amazing.
PS3 is dominating, but things will be interesting with November's sales with the 360 gift card promo at Wal-Mart.[/QUOTE]

The PS3 figures are looking positive, although "dominating" may be giving too much credit.

Not sure how much Wal-Mart's 360 sale will affect the November sales figures, as it was for one weekend with limited quantities. But then again -- they are the largest video game retailer so who knows?

And the PS2 keeps chugging right along...

The 360 sale is for 1 week, but I'm guessing it was to clear out those Green box Arcade units (With a bit of help from Microsoft no doubt).

For anyone who wonders about Brutal Legend's budget we know from the Activision lawsuit that they spent $15 million at Activision, and wanted an additional $7 million before they were dropped by Activision.

It's likely EA paid that additional $7 million so the budget was at least $21 million.

EA cant seem to catch a break:

Fiscal Year Net Loss
2008: -$454m
2009: -$1.08B
Q1 2010: -$234m
Q2 2010: -$391m

I wonder how long they can bleed like this. They did just buy Playfish for $400m though, which should work out well for them. Their facebook games make an obscene amount of money

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']EA cant seem to catch a break:

Fiscal Year Net Loss

I wonder how long they can bleed like this.[/QUOTE]

They just had massive layoffs too.

In the eyes of most gamers EA has really turned their image around from the perception of the EA of old that just churned out sequels, but the new EA doesn't seem very good for profits. By the numbers the take away seems to be that sequels and rehashes are better for profits.

DJ Hero at 1.6m for Q4 (all platforms) was an analyst projection that was recently scaled back to 600k, with the 12 month estimate from 2.5m to 950k

[quote name='mtxbass1']Again, another title with 4 days worth of sales.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I want to reiterate that DJ Hero had only been on sale for five days during October, so 120 thousand sales is not a failure. November and December sales should be more telling of the overall fate of DJ Hero.

[quote name='Vinny']Not bad numbers for UC2 but I was hoping it would do better... it's such a fantastic game.[/QUOTE]

that number is from the release day to the end of the month which is only 3-4 days (released on Oct 27th) which mean 500k + is pretty impressive number for 3 days even though MW2 would hold the record in the fastest selling game lol. (1.24 mill in first day >.>)

I think the revelation of Brutal Legend being an RTS hurt it more than anything. If it was just an Action-Adventure Beat-em Up, I wouldn't have exchanged it for Borderlands.

@ Dr Mario Kart
EA cant seem to catch a break:

Fiscal Year Net Loss

I wonder how long they can bleed like this. They did just buy Playfish for $400m though, which should work out well for them. Their facebook games make an obscene amount of money
Can you do the same for Activision? I can't imagine everything they touch is gold, but an affiliation with the World of Warcraft numbers will definitely skew things.

Wow the PSP sales are not good .. which is a bad sign for the GO.

Also, yay for Uncharted 2 being #1. And yay for Borderlands. With numbers like that I think we can expect a sequel.

Oh man, these numbers definitely have a LOT of LOLs built into them:

PSP GTA Chinatown Wars-4 digits? hahahahaha That's what they get for rereleasing a 6 month old DS game with a $5 premium price.

DJ Hero-120,000 on 4 platforms. Ouch, guess we won't be seeing DJ Hero 2, perhaps they'll finally learn that adding on an extra peripheral isn't worth an additional $60. Nah, who am I kidding, they just released a $200 Band Hero kit that has the same exact instruments as the $170 Guitar Hero world Tour pack from last year (and which is still clogging up shelves at stores)

PC Borderlands-15,000? Really, with the 360 version selling over 400,000? Wow, I guess PC gaming really is just a small fraction of what it once was.

Love this thanks Dr mario Kart..

on the benchmark comparisons... I might suggest you flip flop the 48 month totals.

you put the Ps2's 48 month total on top of the 36 month total, but then for the xbox and GC you put the 48 month total on the bottom of their respective numbers.... it makes it more confusing to compare.

[quote name='Ecofreak']The PS3 figures are looking positive, although "dominating" may be giving too much credit.

Not sure how much Wal-Mart's 360 sale will affect the November sales figures, as it was for one weekend with limited quantities. But then again -- they are the largest video game retailer so who knows?

And the PS2 keeps chugging right along...[/QUOTE]

The other thing to consider is that walmart is just estimated in the NPD numbers... so that may also effect what we see for November... in January or whenever we get our hands on those numbers...

#11-20 software added.

Activision's data is a little more murky than EA, but heres some stuff:

Q1 2008: +43m
Q2 2008: +28m
Q3 2008: -108m

Q1 2009: +189m
Q2 2009: +195m
Q3 2009: +15m

Seeing Uncharted 2 on top of that list is great. ND put so much work into that game, and it deserves to be a top seller. If you haven't played it... please do.

Congrats to Demon's Souls! My take is that it's the kind of game with strong legs as more people find out about it. Hopefully it'll reach 350K in its lifetime.

And it's heartening to see that a YTD difference between the 360 and PS3 is a little under ~400K. If trends continue, it could be down to ~300-250K by the end of the year, which is pretty solid considering the $100 price differential for 3/4 of the year.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']
PC Borderlands-15,000? Really, with the 360 version selling over 400,000? Wow, I guess PC gaming really is just a small fraction of what it once was.[/QUOTE]

I'm 99% sure that the PC numbers only include copies bought at retail. Since the physical disc is practically useless once you install the game, most people would probably opt for a digital download a la Steam. I know I do.

[quote name='sotc1988']I'm 99% sure that the PC numbers only include copies bought at retail. Since the physical disc is practically useless once you install the game, most people would probably opt for a digital download a la Steam. I know I do.[/QUOTE]
Yeah NPD only includes retail copies. I know many of my PC gaming friends mostly buy games through Steam these days.

[quote name='Razzuel']Yeah, I want to reiterate that DJ Hero had only been on sale for five days during October, so 120 thousand sales is not a failure. November and December sales should be more telling of the overall fate of DJ Hero.[/QUOTE]Also, I believe Activision is now hoping to sell at least 600k copies across all platforms. I don't expect the game to be a massive hit, but I expect it to have a following. I definitely really like the game for sure.

I'm glad to see Uncharted 2 at the top. While I figured Demon's Soul did well, I'm shocked to see it rank 11th.
[quote name='Maklershed']Wow the PSP sales are not good .. which is a bad sign for the GO. [/QUOTE]Like I said before, Koehler(sp) himself at SCEA stated the PSP Go was going to be their premium device, which partially explains the pricetag. Position a device as premium does not mean massive sales (that's like if we were comparing a high end car to a Honda Accord sales wise).

I don't know if I'm blind but how are the PSP Go sales?

btw I'm sure PC gamers are tired of getting console ports

[quote name='SuxoR']I don't know if I'm blind but how are the PSP Go sales?

btw I'm sure PC gamers are tired of getting console ports[/QUOTE]

I don't believe the PSP sales are broken down by console.

[quote name='Ecofreak']I don't believe the PSP sales are broken down by console.[/QUOTE]

No, they're just broken in general.

[quote name='cfj1976']where would you go to see past top 20[/QUOTE]

Be a game developer or retailer executive and your company pays thousands of dollars to have access to the entire NPD database.

There was a thread somewhere in this forum that had an unnamed developer who had access to the database and would post the official sales number for numerous games by request, but I think he had to stop posting the info before he was found out and fired.

bread's done
Back