Odama: Worth a try or just too weird?

lonestar

CAGiversary!
I was browsing through some gaming websites about this game. A mixture of pinball, war strategy and microphone/drum usage? I'm thinking about renting this when it comes out just to see how it plays. Looks interesting. What do y'all think about it?

I've already got it preordered, but that's because GameRush credit is cheap. But it certainly looks fun to me. Check out some of the gameplay videos on GameSpot if you're not sure, though renting is probably still a good idea.

Two years ago, Nintendo has this game off in the corner of their booth at E3. It and another randomly weird Japanese game at the time at the Namco booth (Katamari Damacy) were two of the games that myself, my then-fiance (now wife), and my employees were clamouring about. The microphone functionality wasn't on display at that time, however--- but the game was a blast.

It's one of the few I'll be picking up this year on opening day.

-Michael

I know that it is mic compatable, but I could have sworn I read that you could use the bongos somewhere. Anyone else heard this or am I imagining things again?

[quote name='moojuice']I know that it is mic compatable, but I could have sworn I read that you could use the bongos somewhere. Anyone else heard this or am I imagining things again?[/QUOTE]
It seems that the bongos were removed and the mic is used. But I've also heard that the bongos are for a second player to pump up the troops, but haven't seen it officially stated anywhere.

i was actually lookin forward to the bongos being used but they are prob gone, Big N is notorious for making periphs and then easily forgetting about them

I'll check it out. Sadly, I doubt this will last on store shelves long enough to reach discount prices. This game has "rare game in the future" written all over it.

I'll probably get this because A) it's a first-party Nintendo title, and B) it's batsh*t crazy. How much I'll play it, I don't know, but I always like to reward games that think outside the box.

I can just see people's reaction when I turn this on... :roll:

After reading the Nintendo Power review I'm all over this game. At least once I figure out a way to get some kind of discount on it.

The game looks sweet. I like weird as long it's fun and not too weird.

[quote name='botticus']It seems that the bongos were removed and the mic is used. But I've also heard that the bongos are for a second player to pump up the troops, but haven't seen it officially stated anywhere.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I remember hearing about the Bongo support a few years ago too....

I haven't tried it, but couldn't you technically use the Bongos with ANY game?
B/c I'm pretty sure you can play Donkey Konga with a controller and the left bongo is the analog stick and the right bongo is the A button.

I like Pinball and I like war strategy and I like medieval Japan, so I'm assuming I'll like Odama.

Scahom1 already shared his opinion, but what about the rest of y'all? Do you think this will become a hard-to-find game that I should buy on release, or will it sell so badly that stores will have to put it on Clearance just to get rid of it?

I would look to Chibi-Robo as an example... I can't see this being a huge seller, but Nintendo tends to print enough to go around (other than handhelds)... and we GC owners are pretty much grabbing at whatever we can at this point in the game. It will always get put on clearance somewhere, just depends on if that happens to be somewhere you can find it.

I got it with GameRush credit, and there's no way a Nintendo-published game is going to drop to $30 or below in the next 3 months or so, so it's a good deal for me.

Well, I found a guy who would take my Metroid Prime: Hunters + $25, and in exchange he's pre-ordering Odama and having it shipped to me.

I wonder how the controls will work. You have to use the controller to control the flippers) and the microphone (to order your men) at the same time. How do you physically manage those two contraptions at the same time, I wonder?

[quote name='boyward']Well, I found a guy who would take my Metroid Prime: Hunters + $25, and in exchange he's pre-ordering Odama and having it shipped to me.

I wonder how the controls will work. You have to use the controller to control the flippers) and the microphone (to order your men) at the same time. How do you physically manage those two contraptions at the same time, I wonder?[/QUOTE]
There will be a clip to attach the mic to the controller. Not sure how it will work for the Wavebird, but hopefully it will fit.

I wonder if Walmart will stock this, though, because it will probably come in the big cardboard box like Mario Party 6 and Zelda: Four Swords Adventure. Sure, those name-brand games sold fine, but I have doubts as to whether Walmart will sacrifice valuable shelf space for big-boxed Odama.

They'd better. I returned my $10 copy of Future Perfect to get that $55 credit. :p

Otherwise it's Fire Emblem or Space Rangers 2 on the pc.

[quote name='boyward']I wonder if Walmart will stock this, though, because it will probably come in the big cardboard box like Mario Party 6 and Zelda: Four Swords Adventure. Sure, those name-brand games sold fine, but I have doubts as to whether Walmart will sacrifice valuable shelf space for big-boxed Odama.[/QUOTE]

As weird as this is, it's still a first-party release, so I'm going to say they will. They may only have two or three copies per store, though.

[quote name='botticus']There will be a clip to attach the mic to the controller. Not sure how it will work for the Wavebird, but hopefully it will fit.[/QUOTE]

Heh, I haven't read the NP review (just got it a few days ago) but my dread at playing this game is the microphone. Do you HAVE to use it? My problem is that I sit so far back that the microphone won't reach. We rarely use it in MP 6/7 because of that (though sometimes we use it by placing one chair near the GC for the mic user, but its hard to see the TV that way). For a game like Odama though I'd really like to sit on the couch and play - not possible with those damn 2 foot (I'm exaggerating) mic cords. And unfortunately you can't use GC controller extensions on those, as they plug into the memory card slots. And as far as I know, there is no such thing as a GC mic extension cable.

But like you, Botticus, I have it preordered at GR - except I used one of my converted $30 preorder deal slots, so it is costing me about $12 out of pocket. I don't think it will go clearanced below that any time soon (though I was wrong about Pikmin 2 and MP 2 on that account :D).

have stores gotten their copies of this game yet? I am really interested in checking this out after reading the new NP about it.

[quote name='asianxcore']have stores gotten their copies of this game yet? I am really interested in checking this out after reading the new NP about it.[/QUOTE]

Not till next week (Mon., April 10th is EB shipping date, so probably most stores will have it Tues or Weds).

Any of you guys seen the gameplay videos? It's kind of strange because the pinball doesn't move as fast as it does in other pinball games. I guess it's to give you enough time to move your troops?

[quote name='cochesecochese']Any of you guys seen the gameplay videos? It's kind of strange because the pinball doesn't move as fast as it does in other pinball games. I guess it's to give you enough time to move your troops?[/QUOTE]
Haven't watched the videos yet, but I'd imagine so. More importantly, pinball is hard enough. Can you imagine playing pinball at speeds you're accustomed to while shouting out voice commands to little soliders and hoping you don't blast them with the ball?

Check it.

The final website is up and they've got a ton of videos. The graphics are *ahem* rough but I don't think that's going to detract from the game overall. I can't decide if my eyes are tricking me but that mic looks like a different color scheme than the Mario Party one?

[quote name='cochesecochese']Check it.

The final website is up and they've got a ton of videos. The graphics are *ahem* rough but I don't think that's going to detract from the game overall. I can't decide if my eyes are tricking me but that mic looks like a different color scheme than the Mario Party one?[/QUOTE]
:shock: I have a feeling this game is going to be hard. Looks like the mic is a darker color, but hard to tell.

And that spider with a human head is awesome.

[quote name='botticus']:shock: I have a feeling this game is going to be hard.[/QUOTE]

The Gamepro and Nintendo Power reviews both said this is a hard game that takes a long time to master.

[quote name='trip1eX']I'm going to pick 'er up. I'll check later today to see if it's on shelves yet.

edit: Yep not on shelves yet.[/QUOTE]
It's at Sears. Their access to new releases is stunning. Only two copies though.

I'll try it when it's $20 or less. Preferable in the $8 range =)

But yeah overall it sounds worth a look.

predicting rarity of games can be tricky. there are more than a few games that nobody ever think will be rare but ended up more than doubling its value.

[quote name='trip1eX']I'm going to pick 'er up. I'll check later today to see if it's on shelves yet.

edit: Yep not on shelves yet.[/QUOTE]

I saw one at Best Buy today (today being Monday).

I know this game will be rare and incredibly hard to find. Why? Because GR, where I've had it preordered since January did not even order a copy and thus I won't get it from them, and won't shell out $50 to get it any where else. Thus, just to screw me over, it will become rare and valuable in 6 months or so.

Othwerwise, yeah, I'd pick it up at $20 or under.

Sorry, I'm just in a bad mood over the GR news... :bomb:

i picked it up today at K-mart, and do not regret the $50 price tag. even though, i probably won't get a chance to play it extensively for a month or two.

i played the first two levels and it was quite fun ^_^. very challenging though. It's difficult to pay attention to your troops and telling them what to do, all while moving the odama around the board killing off enemies, flooding rivers and knocking over buildings.

very very fun game ^_^, i totally recommend it.

[quote name='io']I saw one at Best Buy today (today being Monday).

I know this game will be rare and incredibly hard to find. Why? Because GR, where I've had it preordered since January did not even order a copy and thus I won't get it from them, and won't shell out $50 to get it any where else. Thus, just to screw me over, it will become rare and valuable in 6 months or so.

Othwerwise, yeah, I'd pick it up at $20 or under.

Sorry, I'm just in a bad mood over the GR news... :bomb:[/QUOTE]
You make me sad, io, since I'm in the same boat. I'm tempted to throw out $45 for it (Reward Zone coupon) but I know it will show up cheaper than that immediately after doing so. I guess I can hope that like Chibi Robo, it shows up on Outpost or some similar site for $20-$40 shipped in the next few weeks.

But more likely the first shipment of the game will sell and they won't produce anymore.

Edit: Hm... I do have a $20 Walmart gift card which isn't doing me much good right now (I don't like to use gift cards for groceries :p) So in theory I could get it for $30 at Walmart, depending on what my GR tells me.

IGN review not too hot. They really rag on the graphics. It is pretty disappointing to hear about such bad graphics this late in the GC's cycle. Maybe I ought to finally play my copy of Batallion Wars :D.

http://cube.ign.com/articles/701/701251p1.html

I still want to get this, but maybe it won't be SO bad if my GR preorder doesn't come in - hopefully I can pick it up cheaper later anyway.

Hehe. I got it. Pretty dam fun. Pretty dam hard. 25 times later and I'm still can't pass the 2nd level, but I have to go back.

It's about what I expected.

They could have done a better job ramping up the difficulty. But I've never had as much replaying levels as much I've replaying the first 2.

but you've seen the graphics. They aren't going to win awards, but they have their own little charm. They do the job.

The voice commands seem to work well enough tho sometimes they don't, but you're not sure if you're off with your pronounciation or if your guys aren't in a position to execute your command. For example, tell 'em to march right and they won't if they are stuck by a wall.

Besides using the flippers, you can control the table and thus the ball with the analog stick. So far they that control just about perfect. Not too much control. NOt too little. YOu need the control because of the whole army man thing.

The ball moves slower than it a normal pinball game. You can often stop from moving at all. Alot of the structures act as bumpers which makes the ball at times move pretty fast. The first impression they could polish up the movement, but I think that's because you're expecting regular pinball movement which probably wouldn't work. The ball seems to take funny bounces sometimes, but I think that is because it's not clear at first what's a bumper and what's not. Walls and forts and towers and trees have a bumper effect.

YOu have a lot of powerups in the game at least so far. Well actually there's only like 3 or 4 so far. It's best you figure what these do and how to use 'em to your advantage. Figure out the greenball. Figure the hearts and the time glass, etc....

I'm on the second level and I've already got 6 voice commands. They work pretty well, but I'm unsure when to exactly use them or not. But as play you start to see how using them help you. They don't give any hints really on tactics using the voice commands. Sometimes you're troops will tell you to do something. But mostly you play and you start to figure out that hey yelling 'March Right' might help me in this situation.

You only get one ball tho you can get extra balls. Mostly the ball doesn't go down the hole. It's pretty easy to keep in play. The hard is figuring out what to do and how to do it. ON the 2nd level and probably beyond watch for the cavalry. If just one of 'em gets all the way down between your flippers they'll cause your flippers to freeze for 5-10 seconds and you're often hosed. I had a problem with 'em, but I've mostly figured out how to deal with 'em.

There's still a bit of random luck with the fact it's pinball. But that should be expected.

Anyway back to the game. I have to figure out how to get that key on the 2nd level. I think I have to bounce the ball off something on the right side and it will ricochet across the map and unlock the key. I've done it by luck, but it happened so fast I wasn't sure how to replicate it.

Ah well it's an interesting game. It's not a totally crisp game, but it's very playable. The look isn't totally state of the art, but it's kinda kewl tho kinda blurry.

All the voices are in Japanese too. And the game lets you let off alot of steam with the voice commands.

I think the difficulty level would drive folks away in well-worn genre, but here it hasn't disuaded me yet because the concept and voice control are so new and fresh. I'm only on the 2nd level tho.

[quote name='io']IGN review not too hot. They really rag on the graphics. It is pretty disappointing to hear about such bad graphics this late in the GC's cycle. Maybe I ought to finally play my copy of Batallion Wars :D.

http://cube.ign.com/articles/701/701251p1.html

I still want to get this, but maybe it won't be SO bad if my GR preorder doesn't come in - hopefully I can pick it up cheaper later anyway.[/QUOTE]
I get some of the review (but eh, I don't think I'd have much of the same complaints they have - after all, Chibi doesn't have very "good" graphics either), but... they say it's not very long, yet they have to play some of the levels dozens of times. I'm pretty sure playing the equivalent of 50+ levels would make it a long game. I guess they're saying if you manage to pass each level on the first try it's fairly short?

I hope my preorder does come in, cause I still wouldn't pay $50 (or $45 :p) for it, and who knows when it will get cheaper before disappearing. It's hard to pass up a pinball/medieval Japan-strategy game.

[quote name='botticus']I get some of the review (but eh, I don't think I'd have much of the same complaints they have - after all, Chibi doesn't have very "good" graphics either), but... they say it's not very long, yet they have to play some of the levels dozens of times. I'm pretty sure playing the equivalent of 50+ levels would make it a long game. I guess they're saying if you manage to pass each level on the first try it's fairly short?

I hope my preorder does come in, cause I still wouldn't pay $50 (or $45 :p) for it, and who knows when it will get cheaper before disappearing. It's hard to pass up a pinball/medieval Japan-strategy game.[/QUOTE]

I'd like to get it too, I'm just trying to come up with a reason to feel better if (I mean when) GR doesn't come through. :D

It would be harder to take if this was game of the year material - it clearly doesn't seem like that. I guess I should be glad I was able to get Chibi-Robo from GR. They better not have this problem with Zelda.

In the back of my mind I'm wondering if the guy I talked to on the phone didn't have Odama mixed up with something else though (maybe Okami for PS2? Though I have that preordered as well so they better get one on order if so!) - because he quoted me that May release date and someone else said their GR told them Friday, which would be consistent with the actual April 10th release date. I was going to go in there for the "big sale" but of course didn't bother. Maybe later this week.

bread's done
Back